LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-10, 04:55 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I just recieved my allocation by phone.

Letters to the 170 US buyers go out next week.

The final break out added more cars to the US than the original plan (150) due to things being slow in the EU.

3 will be in Chicagoland (including one in N Indiana).

My contact confirmed that the 1100 worldwide number (seen in a few posts) for the list of interested persons/qualified is correct.

Over 400 on the list are from the US.
Congrats to you, now hopefully the others on CL will get theirs too
Old 03-25-10, 04:59 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

The final break out added more cars to the US than the original plan (150) due to things being slow in the EU.

My contact confirmed that the 1100 worldwide number (seen in a few posts) for the list of interested persons/qualified is correct.

What does this mean exactly? That 170 can now submit application or is it deposit time? Just because someone is on an allocation list doesn't necessarily mean much on its face, so can you explain further? As an example, "interested" or "qualified" doesn't necessarily mean much on its face. There are a million "interested" and "qualified" potential buyers for a Ferrari, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are actually buying anything. Lots of people can qualify for exotics, but it doesn't necessarily mean they want one, right? If I take the extreme understanding, will Lexus announce closed production on the LFA sometime in the next two weeks?

Sorry, but I continue to remain skeptical that the letter means anything more than these 170 individuals who expressed an interest are now welcome to make application, which I think is likely everyone on the list. I thought anyone can get on the list so if that's the 400, the attrition rate would normally be significant with any exotic.

Also, why would the European market be lighter than the US market when it's currently stronger for other exotics? This makes absolutely no sense because we were just hearing that the Japanese market was "sold out" back in January and you'd think they would send the extra twenty cars there rather than the US market.

If you've been called, are you going through with the lease and if so, when will you take delivery? Any word on how that 170 are spread over the build cycle?
Old 03-25-10, 05:39 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

^ way to be a negative nancy, I think the bulk of us already know your skepticism and feelings toward the LFA. Really no point in continuously bringing it up the same exact arguments, the only thing you can do is simply wait for real information to be released.

If what you want is for everybody to align with your beliefs and chant with you, I doubt that will happen, at least in a pro-Lexus environment?
Old 03-25-10, 06:17 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Hi Tommy,

Let's see if I can cover your points.

We are now talking $10K deposit time.

I asked directly if they thought they would face any issue with selling out and was told no. Anyone could call the toll free number. I believe the folks on the list we are referring to have been screened down to legitimate leads.

That being said, I have mentioned that no money down so far does not a commitment make. In my case they know me as a customer and am sure have a good sense of my finances. The screening included some pointed conversations of what you do, etc. I also went down to Miami for the drive with Scott Pruett and had conversations with a couple Lexus folks.

I would not expect any statement from Lexus about how many deposits they receive in the next few weeks but that is just my take on things.

I do expect to order one. The conversation included interest in an early delivery and I was told that they would work with me if that was the case. At this point the understanding is that the factory will call the shots on what they build when. Your question about build by country destination is interesting. I did not think of this and had a fairly short chat with my Lexus Rep before zipping off to a meeting in an excited state.

I followed up an earlier conversation about a factory tour. My contact was not able to get there during a trip to Japan earlier this year. He hopes to go himself and see what can be done regarding a customer tour.

My sense on the allocation shift to US customer is about price. Just go back to the Top Gear comments on how the LFA is way more money in Europe than a 599. Like in any product category from houses to soda pop. As price goes up, the number of buyers goes down.

Regarding Japan, there is likely to be a huge national pride and brand loyalty aspect.

He added that there are another 50 odd markets to serve. One guy in the Middle East was reported to have grabbed 10 of the 77 Aston 177s. It will be interesting to see the allocations is exotic dense markets like that.
Old 03-25-10, 06:42 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Hi Tommy,

Let's see if I can cover your points.

We are now talking $10K deposit time.

I asked directly if they thought they would face any issue with selling out and was told no. Anyone could call the toll free number. I believe the folks on the list we are referring to have been screened down to legitimate leads.

That being said, I have mentioned that no money down so far does not a commitment make. In my case they know me as a customer and am sure have a good sense of my finances. The screening included some pointed conversations of what you do, etc. I also went down to Miami for the drive with Scott Pruett and had conversations with a couple Lexus folks.

I would not expect any statement from Lexus about how many deposits they receive in the next few weeks but that is just my take on things.

I do expect to order one. The conversation included interest in an early delivery and I was told that they would work with me if that was the case. At this point the understanding is that the factory will call the shots on what they build when. Your question about build by country destination is interesting. I did not think of this and had a fairly short chat with my Lexus Rep before zipping off to a meeting in an excited state.

I followed up an earlier conversation about a factory tour. My contact was not able to get there during a trip to Japan earlier this year. He hopes to go himself and see what can be done regarding a customer tour.

My sense on the allocation shift to US customer is about price. Just go back to the Top Gear comments on how the LFA is way more money in Europe than a 599. Like in any product category from houses to soda pop. As price goes up, the number of buyers goes down.

Regarding Japan, there is likely to be a huge national pride and brand loyalty aspect.

He added that there are another 50 odd markets to serve. One guy in the Middle East was reported to have grabbed 10 of the 77 Aston 177s. It will be interesting to see the allocations is exotic dense markets like that.
Thanks, I appreciate the comments. I know margins for the European manufacturers are squeezed right now. Most of the SVs were sent elsewhere and not to the US. China being a strong market for exotics right now. Yes, the middle east is a VERY strong market for all exotics. I know of the 43 SVs that came to the US, two went to the Middle East.
Old 03-25-10, 07:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

back on topic, congrats to s2k!!!!!!! can't wait to hear from other perspective buyers about the outcome
Old 03-25-10, 08:46 PM
LexFather

Guys I am finding the moderators repeating themselves here. Please be respectful to one another and there is an ignore button as well as a "agree to disagree" option you can personally make.

Finally you can REPORT any post you feel breaks the rules or is not in this forums favor.
Old 03-26-10, 03:09 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

AWESOME NEWS .

Keep us updated!
Old 03-26-10, 07:42 AM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Lexus LFA at UK Supercar Breakfast Meet

Lexus’ LFA is one of the world’s fastest supercars – and we drove it on the world’s most famous hillclimb

Thanks to a last-minute invite, we find ourselves queuing to take a run up the Goodwood course in West Sussex – the most famous hillclimb in motorsport. It’s not just any vehicle we are sitting in, either: our drive at the Festival of Speed press day is the incredible new Lexus supercar’s first appearance in action on UK soil.

If that’s not enough to get your palms sweating, then consider this: the white model we’re being entrusted with is the only LFA in Europe, and one of just four in the world. No pressure then…

My passenger on the hill is Richard Seymour, one of Lexus’ technical experts and the LFA’s minder for the day. We take the opportunity to set up the car for our full-bore run. Via a rotating **** next to the instrument panel, we select ‘Sport’ – and the tachometer immediately glows white. We switch the automated manual gearbox from self-shift mode to manual, to get full control of the ratios. Finally, we crank the change speed up to its fastest setting – so the car can swap cogs in only two-tenths of a second.

Both driver and passenger are required to wear crash helmets, and there’s only one to share. Seymour leaps out and sprints to the start line to try to locate a spare. A few minutes later, he knocks on the window: “I can’t find one, you’ll have to do it on your own,” he mouths through the glass. We give him the thumbs-up and roll towards the marshal in his orange boiler suit. He drops his arms and we plant the throttle.

The needle immediately bounces off the 9,500rpm limiter and the engine screams for second gear. Moments later it wants third and we’re already carrying some serious speed. The acceleration is startling and the high-pitched wail of the 4.8-litre V10 rings in our ears. Approaching the first corner, we stamp on the carbon ceramic brakes and turn the light but precise steering wheel.

Mid-corner balance is superb and the level of grip extraordinary – there isn’t a flicker from the traction control in the first bend. On the exit we pick up the throttle as early as we dare and blast along the straight past Goodwood House.

A speed limit of 40mph has been imposed from Molcome Corner, halfway up the 1.16-mile track, to the holding paddock at the top. But with only a handful of marshals on look-out duty, it’s impossible to resist keeping up the pace all the way to the crest. Nick Heidfeld is the current holder of the Goodwood Hillclimb record, with a 41.6-second time in 1999 in his McLaren F1 car. Although we don’t threaten his crown, our drive in the LFA is a physical experience that won’t be forgotten.

The space-age styling has taken some criticism since the model was first revealed, but get up close and explore it in detail, and the low-slung, muscular proportions have immense presence. Even parked up next to an orange Lamborghini Murciélago SV, it doesn’t seem lacking in drama. At Goodwood it turns more heads than virtually anything else on display.

But the real surprise is the brutality of the driving experience. Change gear on full throttle and you can feel the cogs moving with such force, it sends shockwaves through the chassis. Lexus says it chose an automated manual box over a twin-clutch unit for exactly that reason – to give the car its raw personality.

It’s the engine that’s the star, though; it revs like nothing else on the road. In fact, Lexus claims the digital tacho is a necessity, not simply a gimmick – a real needle couldn’t keep up with the rate at which the motor piles on the revs.

Blip the throttle in neutral and the virtual needle will race to the 9,500rpm limiter in less than a second. So, the big question: is this car worth £350,000? When you consider that Audi’s sublime R8 V10 has nearly the same power, arguably offers a more polished driving experience and costs around £250,000 less, the answer has to be no. But that’s concentrating on the raw numbers.

It’s refreshing to see a marque as straight-laced as Lexus turning its hand to such a raw and edgy product – proving that car makers aren’t always as predictable as we might think. There’s a sense of drama and mystery which follows the LFA around, too, while the likes of the Audi R8 and Lamborghini Gallardo have become a relatively common sight on UK roads.

Brand snobs and number crunchers might have already chalked up the LFA as an irrelevance, but we can’t think of a better car for an unforgettable blast up the Goodwood Hillclimb

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...lexus_lfa.html

Lexus LFA at Goodwood
Watch as we drive flat-out up the hill in this ultra-rare Japanese supercar.
There’s only one thing better than driving one of the world’s fastest cars… Driving it on the most famous hillclimb course in the world!

Auto Express was invited by Lexus to pilot its ultra-exlusive £350,000 LFA supercar up the hill at Goodwood during the press day for the Festival of Speed. And it was an invitation we weren’t about to turn down.

Minutes before we were scheduled to cross the start line Lexus informed us that on four LFAs exist around the world, and we would be driving the only example in Europe. Watch what happened as we powered up the hill with a 552bhp 4.8-litre V10 to play with.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/videos/..._goodwood.html
Old 03-26-10, 09:38 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I haven't gotten a call yet. Did they mention if everyone will (or already has been - d'oh!) be contacted by phone?

Thanks for the report, and congratulations!
Old 03-26-10, 10:38 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Hi Gengar,

I was too gassed up during the call to ask too much about the whole process.

I would have to believe everyone who gets an allocation receives a call (why should I get extra special treatment).

It looks like there is only one other one in the Il part of Chicagoland.

I called McGrath this morning and spoke with the sales manager. They did not know who would be on the list. They are committed to servicing these cars, have a bunch of week end racers at the shop and will send their best Tech to LFA school.
Old 03-26-10, 12:32 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Report: Only 50 Track Models will be produced

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/lexus-pla...track-edition/
Old 03-26-10, 07:18 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Guys I am finding the moderators repeating themselves here. Please be respectful to one another and there is an ignore button as well as a "agree to disagree" option you can personally make.

Finally you can REPORT any post you feel breaks the rules or is not in this forums favor.
Where is this ignore button you speak of?
Old 03-26-10, 08:29 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Where is this ignore button you speak of?
View Member Public Profile > Users List > "Click" Add to Igonore List

It basically blocks out seeing posts from members you add to your list

Works Great!! LoL

Joe Z
Old 03-26-10, 09:07 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
View Member Public Profile > Users List > "Click" Add to Igonore List

It basically blocks out seeing posts from members you add to your list

Works Great!! LoL

Joe Z
lol, Thanks a bunch! Been looking for it.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)