LFA Model (2012)
View Poll Results: Your thoughts?
I am glad the LFA is here!
75.00%
Give me 375k worth of PCP
7.14%
I hate everything. You, LFA, the sun, I am a hater. I hate I voted. I hate this poll
13.10%
Not sure yet
4.76%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

1SICKBLOG:LFA= How could I NOT write about the LFA this week ;the best is yet to come

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 10:51 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

And on this point:

On an aside- a friend's neighbor put a deposit down on one of these beasts

There are no deposits on the LFAs at this point. These will happen in February after the lucky 500 are informed.

On the tired out SC point, I agree they should have replaced the car with something newer/better. For all practical purposes the ISC is the replacement (for now). MB set a precedent here by cutting the old E series coupe and vert and moved customers to the C series versions.
Old 10-28-09, 12:03 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
My online cup of cofee just arrived Yes, even a JB3 3 series will tarnish the halo.. What truly seperates this $400k car from lower priced offerings? Hell, there are more wires in the engine bay than any "halo" car that I've ever witnessed.. What is so ground breaking about this car??

To answer your question about comparing it to a BMW exotic car, BMW does not need a "halo" car to prop it up & emphasize sport. The products in the showroom, the drive & the pedigree speaks for itself.. But if you insist on touting about a BMW exotic, there is a Z8 replacement roadster in the works (Check a post by Scott on bimmerpost) & of course the upcoming M1.. Now, I do not believe BMW will smoke crack & price these vehicles for jaw dropping $400k ala the LFA.
What's so "groundbreaking" ?

You haven't read ANY of the details about the LFA, have you?

The LFA is a technology showcase car as much as it is a halo car.

How about a V10 engine that meets Euro 5 emissions, is smaller *and* lighter than Toyota's 3.5L V6, can handle revs up to 9500 RPM, and is one of the most high-output production V10s ever made. Can you name me any other production V10 on the market right now that can rev to 9500 RPM? Can you name me *any other* production automobile engine that revs to 9500 RPM? There have only been a handful of such engines in automobile history, most of them made by Ferrari.

FYI, the LFAs V10 is smaller and quite a bit lighter than BMW's S85 V10, while making significantly more power than BMW's V10 with less displacement.

You're asking a question that shouldn't be asked. What separates this car from lesser-priced cars? The same thing that separates the Carrera GT and Ferrari Enzo from lesser-priced cars. For one thing, the LFA has a completely carbon fiber main shell/cabin/tub, which is very expensive. The LFA, also like the Carrera GT and Enzo, uses a completely exclusive and unique engine. Also like those cars, the LFA will be competely custom, and hand-built. There will be literally billions of different ways an LFA can be customized by buyers from interior materials and color choices, to exterior color choices.

Using your logic, well what makes a Pagani Zonda so special compared to lesser priced competition? What about a Lamborghini Reventon or an Aston Martin One-77?

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 10-28-09 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-28-09, 12:55 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Guys keep this discussion on the vehicle, not on people posting in this thread or your opinions of them. I've removed several posts and 'highly encourage' you to think twice about replacing them with similar comments in any future posts on our forum.
Old 10-28-09, 03:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
My online cup of cofee just arrived Yes, even a JB3 3 series will tarnish the halo.. What truly seperates this $400k car from lower priced offerings? Hell, there are more wires in the engine bay than any "halo" car that I've ever witnessed.. What is so ground breaking about this car??

To answer your question about comparing it to a BMW exotic car, BMW does not need a "halo" car to prop it up & emphasize sport. The products in the showroom, the drive & the pedigree speaks for itself.. But if you insist on touting about a BMW exotic, there is a Z8 replacement roadster in the works (Check a post by Scott on bimmerpost) & of course the upcoming M1.. Now, I do not believe BMW will smoke crack & price these vehicles for jaw dropping $400k ala the LFA.
You haven't even READ about it so why are you asking us? We have a giant thread with ALL the information in it.

It is CLEAR this vehicle is GROUNDBREAKING if anything for Japanese car makers. The production processes is unmatched.

The car has not been officially TESTED by reviews yet. The UNOFFICIAL RING time was 7:24.

Odd that BMW doesn't need a halo. Benz does it. Audi does it. Lexus now does it. BMW tried with the M1 and less than 500 were sold b/c there was no demand (not to mention the horrid production mess).

Amazing you are talking about the "wires" and comparing exotics to a "chipped" car.

Shall we say "hey lets buy a used EVO IX, dump 20k in it, and do 0-60 in 3.6 seconds"????
Old 10-31-09, 03:28 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default finally

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

You're asking a question that shouldn't be asked. What separates this car from lesser-priced cars? The same thing that separates the Carrera GT and Ferrari Enzo from lesser-priced cars. For one thing, the LFA has a completely carbon fiber main shell/cabin/tub, which is very expensive. The LFA, also like the Carrera GT and Enzo, uses a completely exclusive and unique engine. Also like those cars, the LFA will be competely custom, and hand-built. There will be literally billions of different ways an LFA can be customized by buyers from interior materials and color choices, to exterior color choices.
and about 25 or so (some not so manly) posts later is the real answer i was looking for. and what's the price differences between the GT or Enzo when compared to the "similarly" produced/marketed LFA? i have a feeling this will be a bargain, especially if they are using technology like the carbon fiber body.

Last edited by malujerry; 10-31-09 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-31-09, 05:15 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

hm i have been seeing this from an M6 point of view, which is why i was ho hum about the lfa. but now i see it as a bigger, faster, stronger s2000. only with no soft top. or stick shift. still waiting for the working mans sports car though...
Old 10-31-09, 05:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gshb
hm i have been seeing this from an M6 point of view, which is why i was ho hum about the lfa. but now i see it as a bigger, faster, stronger s2000. only with no soft top. or stick shift. still waiting for the working mans sports car though...
M6 point of view?? Huh?
S2000? What?

Please explain.
Old 10-31-09, 07:56 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Amazing you are talking about the "wires" and comparing exotics to a "chipped" car.

Shall we say "hey lets buy a used EVO IX, dump 20k in it, and do 0-60 in 3.6 seconds"????
I was really into 0 to 60 when I was in high school. I really thought 0 to 60 was everything about the car. Some people never really grew out of it. Luckily, I learned a thing or 2 about driving pleasures, and kinda grew out of "HEY MY HONDA WITH NOS DOES 0 to 60 IN ONE SECOND YO!!"phase. I guess 335i is like a new honda civic these days? I see these posts about 335 with juice boxes running 0 to 60 in a few nano seconds.

And also, Casio atomic watches can keep more accurate time than Rolex. I am too poor to have any expensive amazing watches, but if you have one, you probably should throw away and replace with one of those Casio watches.

I admire BMW, but I am a huge Toyota fan deep down. I grew up with Toyotas and they have been integral part of my life. I have been kinda sad for Toyota because they had no exciting cars. You can argue that they had IS-F and I know it was an amazing car but I really didn't do much for me.
But this car changed it all. Granted that I probably will not be fortunate enough to own one of these amazing machine in any near future, I am really really REALLY excited for Toyota. I can see what this car can do for the future Toyota's line up. May be Toyota engineers will learn a few things and will apply it to next generation IS-F, which I can def benefit from.

Finally, I love it when a car company create a astonishing machine which makes a lot of fanbois jealous. All these e thuggers come out and say a lot of things about this amazing piece of art which they can never be able to afford while living in their moms' apartments.

Job well done Toyota. Bravo!
Old 10-31-09, 09:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The LFA is ground braking for Lexus not relative to what's on the market. Its also lacks the 375K WOW factor that you get when you see a Ferrari, Lambo, or even a Pagani ( magazine for us) Its old hat for Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Porsche. Like GTR the performance is insane ( Nurburgring time) but the looks could be more refined
Old 10-31-09, 10:59 PM
MikeSC4
Driver

honestly i dont think lexus has the brand power for a 375k car. i'd rather go for a real exotic or a GT2 for a fraction of the price. much better than getting a thumbs up from someone driving an HS haha
Old 10-31-09, 11:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The more I read about this car and study it, the more I think Lexus is just as arrogant and out of sync as other car companies. The LFA is outrageously overpriced considering it's barely faster than most other fast cars that cost much less. It should be well under $200k and more in line with cars like the R8. What a misstep!
Old 10-31-09, 11:34 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
What a misstep!
(top car in production wise) From Supra, to SC, to IS-F, to LFA was a pretty giant step... Then again, it's Toyota.

Last edited by malujerry; 11-01-09 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-31-09, 11:44 PM
RyanQ
Driver School Candidate

I am not good with words and of course don't have enough money to buy a LFA, that included sit in and drive it. I feel I have no right to make any judgement or claim about it. I bet anyone can find a right arguments to make a claim about a car (or his/her car) that it is better than the other car(LFA) that he/she can only see from a far, dream of it, or touch it by hand. Once one own it, then he/she has a right to make a claim about it and to make a comparison between it and another car. I only know that:
compared to other cars at the same price-range (200k-500k), LFA is not sound like a bad deal.
compared to other cars at lower price range <80k: it's like making a comparison between a 1k$-custom-design piece of clothes with a 200$-mass-produced brand-name one

Last edited by RyanQ; 10-31-09 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-01-09, 07:46 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

RyanQ

I believe you have things completely correct.

Most folks are not in the income range for this thing.

Most folks also do not routinely make choices between luxury goods like your perfect clothing example.

The LFA buyer has the resources and makes choices about which aspects of the product/service that are of value to them.

The exclusivity of the LFA, the resources behind creating it both the the development and production ends, the personalization of the car that will be delivered and then the expectation of and easy to live with Lexus dealership network all work together to drive the consumer's choice.

1SICKLEX

I would also speak to the S2000 point. I had one of these from 99 to 05 (when I went with the IS350). As my income has zipped upward, I have been looking for something that provided the chainsaw motor, driving thrill and ease of ownership that didn't give me a headache after driving an hour.

I expected that either the next get NSX would do that (wrong again) or the LFA would do be such a car.

My S2000 was white on red with a red carpet and the first LFA promoted was dead on to that.

The dash of the LFA starts with a central speed number and is rimmed by the tach. This is easy to see as an evolution from the S2000 design.

Look at the LFA motor and consider the redline being the same as the original S2000 with the V10 adding torque and of course a huge power increase over the Honda 4.

As for the driving experience, the LFA is a light as possible for what it is, tossable machine like the S2000. Toyota has gotten rid of the pain in the *** while stuck in traffic clutch pedal and added the luxo experience not found in the S2000.

Yes we give up the splendid vert aspect and the pricing is over 10X the easy to live with cost of an S2000 but for me, the LFA is a car that does come in part from Honda's best efforts.
Old 11-01-09, 08:48 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't wait for the dust to settle & seeing this car pegged against the competition.. I guess this car is ground breaking for a Japanese automaker, I'll give it that.. I mean, nothing else is ground breaking about it.. Carbon fiber body? See Mercedes SL65 AMG..Hell Mercedes can crown a number of cars in its line up as a "halo".. SLR, CLK black SLS etc. but their is no need as the product speaks for itself..

I'll let you guys continue as I would not want anyone to foam at the mouth & slit their wrists over my sentiments..

Quick Reply: 1SICKBLOG:LFA= How could I NOT write about the LFA this week ;the best is yet to come