LFA Model (2012)

Would you buy a LFA?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-09, 07:30 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i asked this a lot of times already, and i will ask again. msrp of the 458 might be around 230k, but can anyone get one at that price? i can pretty much tell you answer is no
You need to realize that the LFA will still be exponentially less accessible than a new Ferrari 458, in any given situation. Anyone who has the necessary means to purchase one, can eventually get one. This is not the case with the LFA.
Old 11-22-09, 09:19 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FisforFast
You need to realize that the LFA will still be exponentially less accessible than a new Ferrari 458, in any given situation. Anyone who has the necessary means to purchase one, can eventually get one. This is not the case with the LFA.
yes at least the quantity is there with the 458
and as long as you are a car fan and do your research on ferrari history, they should approve it to you... if not, one should be able to get one anyways given the right channel and the right price
Old 11-22-09, 09:23 PM
LexFather

And again, when a new Ferrari debuts, usually wait times are 2 years if you order one....not sure how it will be with the economy down but I don't think it will change much...

The 458 will be produced in quantities of over 5,000 units compared to the LFA's 500.
Old 11-22-09, 09:54 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Yes.....I will get one.
Old 11-22-09, 10:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

so? i am not even saying the possibility of obtaining the lfa vs 458, that's not even the point. i am talking about the price of the car. saying the lfa is 375k and the 458 is "only" 230k is simply without reality check. if one has to bring the price of the car on the table, then bring the "real" price. UberNoob stated clearly he would not get the lfa because of the price, and that 458 is much cheaper. that's not true

just look at history of 360 and 430, both are not "limited" production vehicle, so by your definition "given enough time" you will be able to get one (again, why does it matter? i don't know). but the fact is that you will never obtain the car for 200k range. all of them are marked up easily by 50 to 75k at least.

i know enough people selling and buying ferrari (at a regular pace), and you can only dream about buying a ferrari at msrp.
Old 11-22-09, 11:21 PM
tryama
Rookie

I would, 2 of them.
Old 11-23-09, 07:28 AM
Pitman
Rookie

Absolutey. Especially after that SEMA footage. Wowoweewow
Old 11-23-09, 07:36 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

If I could I would *wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off*
Old 11-23-09, 10:29 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by rominl
so? i am not even saying the possibility of obtaining the lfa vs 458, that's not even the point. i am talking about the price of the car. saying the lfa is 375k and the 458 is "only" 230k is simply without reality check. if one has to bring the price of the car on the table, then bring the "real" price. UberNoob stated clearly he would not get the lfa because of the price, and that 458 is much cheaper. that's not true

just look at history of 360 and 430, both are not "limited" production vehicle, so by your definition "given enough time" you will be able to get one (again, why does it matter? i don't know). but the fact is that you will never obtain the car for 200k range. all of them are marked up easily by 50 to 75k at least.

i know enough people selling and buying ferrari (at a regular pace), and you can only dream about buying a ferrari at msrp.
I'm having a hard time catching the point you're trying to convey here. $145k is the difference between the estimated 'base price' of the Ferrari 458 and the estimated price of the Lexus LFA. As far as I know, that can be considered much cheaper. Heck, it's almost half price.

The Koenigsegg CCX can be considered a 'limited' production car, as they can only build about 20 of those, max, per year. If you have the money for one, you can order one right away and have it in a year or two. Regardless of your pedigree. With the LFA, regardless of if you have the money or not, chances are you will not be one of the 500 people in the world that will get to own this car.

As far as mark ups go, I don't know. Even if you get a new 458 at a $45k markup (which seems more realistic to me), it's still $100k cheaper than an LFA. Combined, the accessibility and price-point of the LFA make it only feasible to collectors, or people who have a lot of disposable income. Because believe it or not, people who own Ferrari aren't all rockstars who wipe their asses with $100 bills. I have a few friends that are doing good, own a Ferrari, but live in a small condo in the Vieux Port (which is nonetheless quite expensive).

Edit: BTW, I contacted my friend who works for Ferrari of Toronto and he said that the typical markupt on a new, loaded, F430 Scuderia is $20k, bringing the price up to $250k, which is still cheaper than an LFA.

Last edited by FisforFast; 11-23-09 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-23-09, 11:09 AM
LexFather

F430 and 458 were never intended to be direct competitors though the internetz may do so....Again, the LFA has been called a BARGAIN compared to the Enzo...LFA is a V-10 to the Ferrari's V-8...Ferrari is aluminum, LFA is carbon fiber built in house

Clearly Ferrari has the heritage in spades here...but there is a reason the LFA costs so much...its no entry level exotic like what people are trying to make it to be then saying it costs too much.

The market has shown all these cars can co-exist, there are buyers for them....the exotic car market has exploded in the last 10 years...
Old 11-23-09, 11:28 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I'm done arguing about the LFA.

It's a bit pointless to try and convince a Lexus forum that the LFA is not a bargain, because it is not accessible, and it is very expensive, and it doesn't perform (much) better than other exotics that compete in a lower bracket (and cost half as much). The only reason you would get an LFA is because you just CAN, not because it's a bargain. To say that it is would be crazy-talk, because of the points listed above. It doesn't perform better, on paper, than an Audi R8 V10. The fact that it's made from carbon fiber, versus the R8 V10's aluminium is irrelevant, seeing as it doesn't go much more faster than the latter. Again, don't bring out the reliability factor here... first off, we'll only know a few years down the road, if ever, and secondly, people who buy $300k exotics obviously don't care about reliability or maintenance costs. Like I've said before, he who says that the maintenance is too expensive on these cars and owns one is living way beyond his means.

Last edited by FisforFast; 11-23-09 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-23-09, 11:39 AM
LexFather

I'm done arguing about the LFA.

It's a bit pointless to try and convince a Lexus forum that the LFA is not a bargain, because it is not accessible, and it is very expensive, and it doesn't perform (much) better than other exotics that compete in a lower bracket (and cost half as much). The only reason you would get an LFA is because you just CAN, not because it's a bargain. To say that it is would be crazy-talk, because of the points listed above. It doesn't perform better, on paper, than an Audi R8 V10. The fact that it's made from carbon fiber, versus the R8 V10's aluminium is irrelevant, seeing as it doesn't go much more faster than the latter. Again, don't bring out the reliability factor here... first off, we'll only know a few years down the road, if ever, and secondly, people who buy $300k exotics obviously don't care about reliability or maintenance costs. Like I've said before, he who says that the maintenance is too expensive on these cars and owns one is living way beyond his means.
No one is trying to convince anyone its a bargain and to people its relative. Some might think the LFA is a bargain, others clearly think its overpriced. That is what one review said. On paper it does perform better than the R8 V-10 as it cannot hit 200 mph for instance and the unofficial "Ring" time is 7:24. . IT HAS NOT BEEN IN ANY REVIEW COMPETING AGAINST ANOTHER CARS YET. What is amazing TO ME is people have not taken the time to truly read about the car as EVERY review thus far has gushed over it. Its like some people are either dismissing or not reading anything about the car outside of THE PRICE.

Its amazing though, you can argue on paper but then throw out the "reliablity" factor and the carbon fiber process. Anything else we should "Throw" out?

I have NEVER seen another exotic picked apart like the LFA has. Not Pagani, Kossienness, Saleen S7, Mosler, Noble, Vector, Azari, surely not Ferrari, Lambo, Aston etc...
Old 11-23-09, 11:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Well FisforFast, I agree with you The LFA is no bargain at $400000, its value is in its rarity.
Old 11-23-09, 02:14 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No one is trying to convince anyone its a bargain and to people its relative. Some might think the LFA is a bargain, others clearly think its overpriced. That is what one review said. On paper it does perform better than the R8 V-10 as it cannot hit 200 mph for instance and the unofficial "Ring" time is 7:24. . IT HAS NOT BEEN IN ANY REVIEW COMPETING AGAINST ANOTHER CARS YET. What is amazing TO ME is people have not taken the time to truly read about the car as EVERY review thus far has gushed over it. Its like some people are either dismissing or not reading anything about the car outside of THE PRICE.

Its amazing though, you can argue on paper but then throw out the "reliablity" factor and the carbon fiber process. Anything else we should "Throw" out?

I have NEVER seen another exotic picked apart like the LFA has. Not Pagani, Kossienness, Saleen S7, Mosler, Noble, Vector, Azari, surely not Ferrari, Lambo, Aston etc...
here here

Notice how they conveniently ignore the posts that make the most sense

well said 1Sick.
Old 11-23-09, 03:11 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm tired of hearing how people rich enough to buy exotics don't care how much maintenance and repair costs for those exotics. If they didn't care they would drive their car more. But no, they are too afraid knowing that one joy ride could mean 20K in repairs. Rich people stay rich because they obsess over how much things cost. Some of them are so cheap they drive regular cars. More power to them. I'm just saying.........

Quick Reply: Would you buy a LFA?