LFA Model (2012)

Would you buy a LFA?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-09, 05:46 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought you could not buy one, you could only lease it for 2 years, then have option to buy it of course...

Sure, if I had the money to throw around, I'd get the LFA, a GTR for my daily commute and "beater" car, the F430 just to turn heads, and throw in a Diablo too, just because I like it.

Oh... to be Leno or Gates...
Old 11-23-09, 05:50 PM
LexFather

Ice... Exactly... Let's throw out positive points of the LFA or any possible advantages!! Then let's scream "it should be dumbed down.. Why have the best technology!?!!??!

funny buy Honda even is jumping in on the bashing saying v-10s r stupid and no one wants them.. Guess they never heard of ferrai lambo Audi BMW etc
Old 11-23-09, 06:30 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Well FisforFast, I agree with you The LFA is no bargain at $400000, its value is in its rarity.
Why didn't I see that? Make a car that is limited to 500 cars world wide and instantly it is the rarity that is dictating its price.
Old 11-23-09, 07:19 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No one is trying to convince anyone its a bargain and to people its relative. Some might think the LFA is a bargain, others clearly think its overpriced. That is what one review said. On paper it does perform better than the R8 V-10 as it cannot hit 200 mph for instance and the unofficial "Ring" time is 7:24. . IT HAS NOT BEEN IN ANY REVIEW COMPETING AGAINST ANOTHER CARS YET. What is amazing TO ME is people have not taken the time to truly read about the car as EVERY review thus far has gushed over it. Its like some people are either dismissing or not reading anything about the car outside of THE PRICE.

Its amazing though, you can argue on paper but then throw out the "reliablity" factor and the carbon fiber process. Anything else we should "Throw" out?

I have NEVER seen another exotic picked apart like the LFA has. Not Pagani, Kossienness, Saleen S7, Mosler, Noble, Vector, Azari, surely not Ferrari, Lambo, Aston etc...
Just for note, the Audi R8 V10 has a top speed of 196 mph. Close enough for me. I can't find Nurburgring lap times for the R8 V10 to compare. No one is tearing apart the other exotics because that's all they've practically ever done; build race cars.

That being said, I rest my case. I'm certain the LFA will be an excellent car... but I think Lexus should have made something a bit more accessible for a first try.
Old 11-23-09, 07:28 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ice350
That being said, I rest my case. I'm certain the LFA will be an excellent car... but I think Lexus should have made something a bit more accessible for a first try.
But wouldn't that negate the Halo effect of the LF A?

Isn't part of the point to capture that exclusivity that the Enzo, Saleen, or McLaren had?

This has more potential to help Toyota increase sales of any performance vehicle they build in the future, as they will have demonstrated that they can build at any level.
Old 11-23-09, 08:26 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I agree, CDNROCKIES. But the Ferrari Enzo, Saleen S4 and McLaren F1 have quite a bit of sporting history behind them. Unlike the LFA.
Old 11-23-09, 08:36 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I agree, CDNROCKIES. But the Ferrari Enzo, Saleen S4 and McLaren F1 have quite a bit of sporting history behind them. Unlike the LFA.
But none of those companies build anything else. I'd also dispute that Lexus/Toyota has a well established sporting pedigree of their own...but that's another discussion. Why not compare it to Lexus' direct competitors?

BMW has absolutely nothing that even gets into this ballpark....although every M3 owner on the planet will say their car is better.

Audi's closest competitor is the V10 R8, and while it may be in the ballpark performance wise, it is not even close as far technology or exclusivity. If you're only comparing performance, it's the same lame argument that gets posed when you compare a GT R to a LP (or whatever supercar/exotic you want to stick in here).

The only remaining direct competitor is Benz. An SLR or the upcoming SLS are MB true supercars. An SLR 722S is $547K US....they have one at the local dealer here. MB seems to have no issue moving the SLR's.....and I'd take an LF A all day, every day over it.
Old 11-23-09, 09:10 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

So one doesn't get to count Toyota's racing history?
Old 11-23-09, 10:00 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why? They certainly showed that they have more than enough capability to engineer and manufacture or engineer in house and not borrowing parts from other car companies. This car is a show case of the strenghts that Lexus has as a car company and for their first try they certainly well exceeded the expectations of most people, the only thing that people are harping about is the price which is a moot point if you ask me.

Maybe it is just me, but I feel the LFA is such a different car than most exotics, it focus is on different aspects of the car to appeal to a different demographic. A priority for me is something that is luxurious and a pleasure to drive and from the start that is what Lexus set out to achieve. Like I said before, anyone with good mechanical skills and a financial backer can make a ***** out animal of a car, but will it be a pleasure to drive while being a super fast car? A few quotes that most people already know.

According to the manufacturer, the quality of the CRFP material matches that of aeronautical grades and is weaved by a laser monitored circular loom, one of two in the world.
The LFA's engineers attempted to make the engine to sound like that of a Formula One car with rapid revs while at the same time maintaining typical Lexus reliability and vibration control. By selecting a V10 engine over an equivalent displacement V8 engine reciprocating mass is reduced allowing for more rapid engine response. Lexus claims their engine can rev from idle to its redline in 0.6 seconds and an analog tachometer needle could not accurately track the LFA's changes in engine speeds. This necessitated the use of digital tach which can instantly display rpms. The engine reportedly weighs less than the manufacturer's own 3.5-liter 2GR-FE V6 engine.
Old 11-23-09, 10:47 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES

The only remaining direct competitor is Benz. An SLR or the upcoming SLS are MB true supercars. An SLR 722S is $547K US....they have one at the local dealer here. MB seems to have no issue moving the SLR's.....and I'd take an LF A all day, every day over it.
I'd take an LFA, heck any exotic over that *****-car.

To answer the question, yes I would buy one.

What's so wrong with having reliability included?
It's OK to **** away 10k here, 10k there because something stupid keeps breaking or annoying sensors keep popping up???
I don't know about anyone else, but that's sure a PITA.

Like what ICE350, it would make your exotic more enjoyable if you don't have to deal with the stupid annoyances that everyone is accepting that it comes with the exotic territory.
Old 11-24-09, 12:16 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
So one doesn't get to count Toyota's racing history?
the real racing history that counts is F1
or it used to matter...

now that F1 is becoming diluted... and toyota has left F1...
Old 11-24-09, 12:20 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES

BMW has absolutely nothing that even gets into this ballpark....although every M3 owner on the planet will say their car is better.
hey now, stick to your point. Just because you don't have a benchmark, doesnt mean you have to go around and hate all the M3s. jk jk
Old 11-24-09, 01:27 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Don't worry, if none of you will buy it, there are at least 500 people in the UAE who will buy them, plated with gold.
Old 11-24-09, 02:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Don't worry, if none of you will buy it, there are at least 500 people in the UAE who will buy them, plated with gold.
there are some here that are buying it ;-).
Old 11-24-09, 05:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

All spec and numbers on paper aside, It will be interesting to see the 1st comparo with a LFA vs a comparable $400000 car. If the LFA stacks up, then Lexus will claim victory, but if the LFA fails, all will say Lexus has bite off more than they can chew.
I have a feeling that Lexus will try to protect the LFA from a magazine comparo as long as they can, they are trying to keep the mystery aspect of the LFA alive. Also, there is too much on the line, if they fail in teh comparo, it would mean a Billion dollar project down the drain.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a LFA?