LFA Model (2012)

If the LFA Becomes a Success, Will it Spark an Interest in the SC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-09, 05:38 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If the LFA Becomes a Success, Will it Spark an Interest in the SC?

If the Lexus LFA super becomes a hit, would people look back at Lexus' very first sports car - our old SC300/SC400s?

I know this is a long stretch of my imagination but personally if I could afford an LFA, I wouldn'd mind keeping my SC or picking up a mint one if I wasnt already an owner. Discuss
Old 11-26-09, 07:18 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
If the Lexus LFA super becomes a hit, would people look back at Lexus' very first sports car - our old SC300/SC400s?

I know this is a long stretch of my imagination but personally if I could afford an LFA, I wouldn'd mind keeping my SC or picking up a mint one if I wasnt already an owner. Discuss
Connect the dots for me cause I don't see it.
What I am hoping is the LFA technology and sportiness trickles down to other models.
Except for the ES and RX, all the other models should have an F model and there should be more coupes. The Next SC should appeal to more people and have 2 models...like the old days. IS needs a fixed roof coupe and the ISF needs a coupe model.
Old 11-26-09, 07:46 PM
Trexus

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

There were a few members suggesting that the LF-A was going to be the successor to the SC or become the SC F but as we all know the LF-A became the LFA an exotic sports car from Lexus to compete with the likes of Ferrari and Lamborghini.

Hopefully Lexus brings out the third generation SC 460 and bring back an SC 350 and maybe an SC F. Who knows? Only time will tell...also bring in a hybrid version as well, it would be the first luxury hybrid coupe...
Old 11-26-09, 07:51 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can see the LF-A pointing people to whatever succeeds the SC430 (assuming they build something). Hopefully what they learn/display w/ the LF-A will be put into a more manageable package for consumers.
Old 11-26-09, 08:26 PM
bb7110
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SickSC
I don't think LFA is going to be a success because of it's price, it's just too expensive for a Lexus. Despite all the technology and gizmo's, it's still a Lexus, not a Lambo or Ferrari! I think it should be around R8, or GTR range.

I think you're right tho, I think people are going to look at SC and they will be impressed on the price and the quality of it!
Lexus is better suited to produce a sports car than Nissan, no? I think that's a fair jump... Nissan's most expensive car (Maxima or 370Z) can't cost more than $40,000-- yet they have the GT-R. The Lex LSh BASE is $106,000. I think those LF-A leases will be eaten up instantly.
And is it just me, or do other people see similarities in the styling of the LF and the SCX00? I think this is our car's sequel.
Old 11-26-09, 08:34 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly. If they were smart, they would come up with something soon. I think they should replace the SC430 with 2 vehicles:
1) An IS Coupe in IS350 and ISF variants
2) A new SC Coupe based on the next GS platform, and powered by a twinturbo 3.5V6 with 380hp badged as a SC400, and a 450hp twin turbo 4.6 V8 badged as an SC550, and a 550hp V10 powered SCF. I think this platform should be all aluminum for both GS and SC.

Last edited by *Batman*; 11-26-09 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-26-09, 08:34 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

simply put: nope.
Old 11-26-09, 09:58 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SickSC
I don't think LFA is going to be a success because of it's price, it's just too expensive for a Lexus. Despite all the technology and gizmo's, it's still a Lexus, not a Lambo or Ferrari! I think it should be around R8, or GTR range.

I think you're right tho, I think people are going to look at SC and they will be impressed on the price and the quality of it!
Lamborghini started off making tractors, but they are now known for their cars Lexus could become successful with the LFA, but I think it will take a while and a body update before it really catches on... The front is pretty tacky looking Everything else is awesome though. The advantage I think it will have over Farrari and Lamborghini is the reliability. People are going to see what it's like to actually own a RELIABLE supercar and enjoy being able to drive it daily without worrying about problems. Hopefully this will be a turning point in how supercars are built.
Old 11-27-09, 02:38 AM
wooziewest
Driver

Personally I think the LFA is kinda a new MK V supra badged as a Lexus. I do however think it is way too expensive though. People are going to buy Ferraris and lambos over it just cause of the name.
Old 11-27-09, 06:11 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't agree. The LFA will sell out quickly because there are more than 500 billionaire sportscar afficionados in the world who don't care how much it costs - they just want all the best sportscars in their garage.

For the people who buy these cars, it's not a choice between a Ferrari or a Lambo and a Lexus LFA. They will have all three, plus the Ford GT, a couple of Aston Martins, etc.
Old 11-27-09, 07:10 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
Exactly. If they were smart, they would come up with something soon. I think they should replace the SC430 with 2 vehicles:
1) An IS Coupe in IS350 and ISF variants
2) A new SC Coupe based on the next GS platform, and powered by a twinturbo 3.5V6 with 380hp badged as a SC400, and a 450hp twin turbo 4.6 V8 badged as an SC550, and a 550hp V10 powered SCF. I think this platform should be all aluminum for both GS and SC.
The numbers after the two letters indicate the liters of the engine. If you say there should be a twin turbo 3.5V6, then they would make the SC350, not 400. 4.6 V8 would make an SC460, not SC550.

Not trying to pick a fight, just saying that's the way they've always done it.
Old 11-27-09, 09:37 AM
STRTORPTR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that Lexus will eventually build an all-new SC in the future. But since its meant to compete mainly against the base SL-Class, I don't think we'll see anything too extravagant. While an SC-F is possible, I don't think the market is big enough to justify building it.

And yes, I am aware that they're trying to sell the LFA for $400k, but I think the rarity of the car will justify it's price. It's poised to be one of the few supercars to apprecieate in value over time. Give it ten years and I wouldn't be surprised if LFAs were trading hands for $500k.

Addressing the original point in this thread, I don't that we will see any drastic change in our SC community. While newer sportier models like the IS-F and LFA will grab more attention for the brand, I believe we'll welcome new people into the fold just as steady as we have always been.

In short, my guess is "no."
Old 11-27-09, 11:18 AM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

My guess is no as well..but correct if im wrong isnt there a IS that just came out thats a convertible?? Not sure if its a coupe or not but I could have sworn I saw one on the road...
Old 11-27-09, 01:52 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by One_jZ_SC3
My guess is no as well..but correct if im wrong isnt there a IS that just came out thats a convertible?? Not sure if its a coupe or not but I could have sworn I saw one on the road...
lol out of the loop?

Yes, a convertible IS came out....2010 model.
Old 11-27-09, 02:34 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Net
simply put: nope.
X2
It's like saying just because the GTR came out z32's are now desirable cars again
The only shot we have right now is the auto sports world. You can also hold on to it for 25 to 35 more years, they might be worth something then.

Last edited by GS FONZy; 11-27-09 at 03:54 PM.

Quick Reply: If the LFA Becomes a Success, Will it Spark an Interest in the SC?