LFA Model (2012)

Lexus USA chief Mark Templin defends LFA pricing (plus other Lexus future bits)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-09, 04:37 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Looking at the US Patent and Trademark filings, so far there's been nothing filed except for the CT 200h/300h/400h; the GX 460 was filed years ago, while the HS 250h was only filed this year, so who knows.
Actually, there is one other significant post-CT trademark filing: TX. That one was filed by Toyota corporate without specifying a marketing division and without a follow-up number, so it could theoretically be going to Scion.

My gut feeling, however, is that it's earmarked for Lexus, and that it's meant for the small, RAV4-derived crossover. I agree with many of you that Lexus shouldn't really build this, but, from what I've read, Lexus Europe is clamoring for a sub-RX SUV crossover. A TX 250, for example, may well wind up being a Europe-only model, just like the early years of the 1st-gen IS, or as CT may wind up if the official Lexus survey feedback is mostly negative about bringing it to the U.S.
Old 12-07-09, 05:19 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately I believe all the LFA's in Japan will be sold before they are released.

But it does look promising for the future of lexus, I am certainly hoping they come out with a super luxury sedan that will completely top the LS600 and with the LFA selling like they will ,I don't see why they can't make an ultra luxury model that has a bit more size to it even if it is a lot more expensive.
Old 12-07-09, 06:21 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jruhi4
Actually, there is one other significant post-CT trademark filing: TX. That one was filed by Toyota corporate without specifying a marketing division and without a follow-up number, so it could theoretically be going to Scion.

My gut feeling, however, is that it's earmarked for Lexus, and that it's meant for the small, RAV4-derived crossover. I agree with many of you that Lexus shouldn't really build this, but, from what I've read, Lexus Europe is clamoring for a sub-RX SUV crossover. A TX 250, for example, may well wind up being a Europe-only model, just like the early years of the 1st-gen IS, or as CT may wind up if the official Lexus survey feedback is mostly negative about bringing it to the U.S.
You're probably right that the TX is designated for Lexus (Scion's nomenclature doesn't have any "X" suffixes). If the "TX" is based on the Rav4 I don't see much potential for it in the US. The Rav4 has a V6 with up to 270hp so, the Lexus version would have to be more powerful, but then at that point the "TX" would be as powerful as the RX and could cannibalize the RX. The TX could be based on the IS, though, and sold globally. It would at that point be somewhat of a replacement for the old IS sport cross.
Old 12-07-09, 06:38 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by (Cj)
The TX could be based on the IS, though, and sold globally. It would at that point be somewhat of a replacement for the old IS sport cross.
I totally agree that this would make TX more enthusiast-friendly (and a more direct rival to BMW's upcoming X1, X3 and Mercedes' GLK), yet every rumor I've read over the years speak in terms of a Lexus "cute-ute" being a RAV4 derivative. Perhaps TX would be derived from the shorter 5-seater/2-row RAV4 more prevalent in other world markets, and not the North America and Japan-only (as the Toyota Vanguard) stretch 7-seater. This would follow the Lexus RX/Toyota Highlander pattern of making the Lexus variant a shorter 5-seater and the Toyota a longer 7-seater.

As far as a SportCross replacement, rumor has it that the 3rd-gen Lexus IS will have a sportwagon variant...
Old 12-07-09, 06:57 AM
LexFather

If Lexus feels the cute ute market will explode....then a TX might come...for now the sales are not supporting entering the segment....

Another thought is the next 4RX might get bigger and gain a 3rd row and then the TX is brought around the same size as the 1RX.

In Europe believe it or not, SUV sales are exploding and saloon (sedan) sales are getting hurt b/c of it. A TX 250h might fit the bill
Old 12-07-09, 07:45 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

I totally agree that this would make TX more enthusiast-friendly (and a more direct rival to BMW's upcoming X1, X3 and Mercedes' GLK), yet every rumor I've read over the years speak in terms of a Lexus "cute-ute" being a RAV4 derivative. Perhaps TX would be derived from the shorter 5-seater/2-row RAV4 more prevalent in other world markets, and not the North America and Japan-only (as the Toyota Vanguard) stretch 7-seater. This would follow the Lexus RX/Toyota Highlander pattern of making the Lexus variant a shorter 5-seater and the Toyota a longer 7-seater.

As far as a SportCross replacement, rumor has it that the 3rd-gen Lexus IS will have a sportwagon variant...
I know, every rumor about the "sub-RX" has always referred to the Rav4 being the base for it, but maybe Lexus will do something special. The fullsize LF-X crossover concept was based on the RWD GS platform, so maybe the sub-RX will be similar to that. Since it'll be mainly for the European market it should be more on the sporty side versus the comfort luxury side. Plus the RWD dynamics would be a huge differentiation between it and the RX.

I would be very surprised if the next gen IS has a sportwagon variant, but it's possible, since sportwagons still sell well in Europe. You know what, I think an AWD ES wagon with sport package would be kinda cool . It'd be a nice way to expand the ES line, too
Old 12-07-09, 07:59 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

An IS Sport cross would certainly fill the space of any "sub rx" crossover no?

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If Lexus feels the cute ute market will explode....then a TX might come...for now the sales are not supporting entering the segment....

Another thought is the next 4RX might get bigger and gain a 3rd row and then the TX is brought around the same size as the 1RX.

In Europe believe it or not, SUV sales are exploding and saloon (sedan) sales are getting hurt b/c of it. A TX 250h might fit the bill
For Europe it is totally appropriate, US not so much. Lexus also have less models in the EU than in the US. The 4RX def need not get bigger.
Old 12-07-09, 12:12 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thx for sharing the info about the TX...possibly the first Lexus to share the abbreviation with a US state... ...vs. the talked about JX, VX...although CT (hmm, Connecticut) shows the "T" letter being added to the lexicon.

Hearing the RAV4 connection makes me a bit fearful of what this vehicle would look like, but given how the LF-Ch went past forecasts of a very Toyota-esque design, and had its own L-finesse look, I'm hoping that should they go this route, such a model will be as unique, not Sai/HS 250h similar.
Old 12-07-09, 12:13 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I personally think the statements coming from Mr. Templin concerning the LFA are very arrogant. This isn't typical Lexus behavior... I believe it will come back to haunt them.
Old 12-07-09, 06:25 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://wot.motortrend.com/6583150/au...for/index.html

2009 LA: More Lexus LFA Details Emerge, 90 of 150 U.S.-Bound Cars Spoken For

Here in the U.S., the LFA will go on sale just over a year from now in the first quarter of 2011. So far, Kwong says that Lexus already has 90 solid orders in the states, effectively cleaning out the first year's allotment. In all, 150 LFAs will be sold in the U.S., so if you're still on the fence, you'll need to get your order in before the last 60 are gone.

Behind the USA, Japan will receive the largest allotment of LFAs with 110 to 120 selected to stay in the home market. Europe will get 60 to 70, Canada will get less than 10, and South Africa will get two or three. The last 150 cars will be divided up amongst other world markets including China and the Middle East.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/6583150/au...#ixzz0Z3nRttEf
90 out of 150 of the US allocation for the LFA have been already taken up, according to MT.