LFA Model (2012)

Top Gear LFA thread (SPOILERS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 09:45 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see anyone on here hate the LF-A. They just don't agree on the price and prefer that lexus make more than just 500.
Old 01-05-10, 10:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

" Lexus wants 340,000 pounds for an LFA, a figure thats getting on for 200,000 pounds more than any of us had predicted. Its such a stupendous sum - even for a car whose production is limited to 500 units - that it automatically turns the LFA into something of a folly . Better still, it's a folly from the company that gave us a Prius. "

Jason Barlow
Auto journalist - Top Gear Magazine

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-05-10 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-06-10, 01:10 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

indeed overpriced especially in UK

what i would do is just save up the money and get a Ferrari 458 instead
Old 01-06-10, 05:00 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
PS my only complaint about the LFA is the price.
Originally Posted by UberNoob
indeed overpriced especially in UK

what i would do is just save up the money and get a Ferrari 458 instead
Originally Posted by FisforFast
In my honest opinion, $375,000 isn't worth it even though this is an amazing automobile. Me and a lot of people I know at Lexus agree that they might have shot themselves in the foot on this one.
Originally Posted by Dave600hL
How so? (The part that Lexus shot themselves in the foot)
I think we are far enough off topic now that I feel comfortable asking this question. I only quoted I8ABMR,UberNoob and FisforFast because they were most recent (thanks guys) and I quoted Dave600hL because I have a similar question.

First, Like many of you I'm a fan of the LFA. Its engineering, the sound of the engine and the reviews of its performance excite me. I look forward to seeing more track runs and comparisons with other vehicles and hopefully someday owners coming to CL and giving us their 1st hand real world impressions of the car.

I'm certain Lexus wants nothing but 100% outstanding reviews of the car's performance and what Lexus did to produce it. I'm also certain that Lexus expects that will not happen and they know there will be criticism.

What Lexus does expect is to sell 500 of these fine cars. So what I'd like help in understanding please is if the car is overpriced, or shot themselves in the foot etc etc 'How many of the 500 cars will NOT be sold?'

As much as I enjoy (dare I say 'we enjoy' as a community) all the performance stuff etc, at the end of the day Lexus is a business. They've said in order to be successful they need to sell 500 examples of this car worldwide. Everything else is just fun for us to discuss and share our thoughts on.

So how many of the 500 cars will Lexus not sell? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-06-10, 06:05 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleL
What Lexus does expect is to sell 500 of these fine cars. So what I'd like help in understanding please is if the car is overpriced, or shot themselves in the foot etc etc 'How many of the 500 cars will NOT be sold?'

As much as I enjoy (dare I say 'we enjoy' as a community) all the performance stuff etc, at the end of the day Lexus is a business. They've said in order to be successful they need to sell 500 examples of this car worldwide. Everything else is just fun for us to discuss and share our thoughts on.

So how many of the 500 cars will Lexus not sell? Thanks in advance!
I put across the same point earlier in the thread and I am also very curious to know how "Lexus has shot themselves in the foot" and is charging too much for the car?

Fact is is it is the only car maker to have such diverstity from a hybrid prius to a super car that has unbelieveable technology in it. Of corse it is going to have its critics, they need something to criticize to justify themselves and all can can do is hark on the price, when obviously there are a lot of people who think it is worth the money b/c they are buying it. Thats what really boggles the mind...

My earlier post below.

If the car was in actual fact over priced for the car it won't sell. So ask that question again, is the car overpriced? Well it certainly looks like all 500 units will be sold before it starts production. So I don't care what some journalists or car fans say, it is not overpriced.

And Pearlpower, you have a point, the people who are buying don't seem to be complaining, so I wonder what this means? (Personally, I would prefer it to be sold for about $20K...B/C I certainly don't like parting with my money)
Old 01-06-10, 06:54 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Is your Koenigsegg 6x faster than a GT-R? Has Koenigsegg won any racing titles? Where does it's brand heritage/prestige come from?
I will let you know that the Koenigsegg CCX, with the race spoiler, is the third fastest car on the Top Gear track behind the Gumpert Apollo and Ascari A10. Yes, it is expensive, but the exclusivity, and the fact that mine will be the third registered in North America, and the fact that every shift I make in it could be my last, is worth it.
Old 01-06-10, 07:50 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I will let you know that the Koenigsegg CCX, with the race spoiler, is the third fastest car on the Top Gear track behind the Gumpert Apollo and Ascari A10. Yes, it is expensive, but the exclusivity, and the fact that mine will be the third registered in North America, and the fact that every shift I make in it could be my last, is worth it.
I know where it sits (Don't forget the Gumpert is cheaper ). I also know it's not 6x faster than the GT-R. Just trying to get a point across. Nothing you can say to me can justify that you think spending what you are for the CCX is reasonable, but that the LFA is overpriced. That's my point.
Old 01-06-10, 11:07 AM
B Dot
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I know where it sits (Don't forget the Gumpert is cheaper ). I also know it's not 6x faster than the GT-R. Just trying to get a point across. Nothing you can say to me can justify that you think spending what you are for the CCX is reasonable, but that the LFA is overpriced. That's my point.
^^Agreed^^ You can play this price game all day. So the Veyron must be overpriced because it can only get around the top gear track a 1.5 seconds quicker then a GT-R which is like 1/15 the price of a veyron? The price stuff is silly to me but everyone is entitled to there opinion. IMO the LFA is an incredible performer and with all the carbon fiber and tech in it the price is reasonable.
Old 01-06-10, 11:29 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
who are fortunate enough to buy this, you can't put a price on what you like or value.
You said it so well. You can't put a price on what you like. End of story.

I can't afford LFA right now but it makes me want to do illegal things to own one.
Old 01-06-10, 01:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I guess the way I will look at it is that the LFA is a work of art and they dont come cheap.
Old 01-06-10, 03:15 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I guess the way I will look at it is that the LFA is a work of art and they dont come cheap.
How do you veiw a work of art? With your eyes closed, b/c it dose not look like a $400K car now dose it?
Old 01-06-10, 03:41 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

If the LFA looked like this, I don't think anyone would complain about the price...

Old 01-06-10, 03:52 PM
Tony320
Rookie

I think this was a fun episode, the LFA is a great looker and great performer. But what I really want to know is what is that song the Stig was listening to? Sounded like a jolly romp!
Old 01-06-10, 06:19 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your Koenigsegg 6x faster than a GT-R? Has Koenigsegg won any racing titles? Where does it's brand heritage/prestige come from?
Great point
Old 01-06-10, 06:46 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I put across the same point earlier in the thread and I am also very curious to know how "Lexus has shot themselves in the foot" and is charging too much for the car?

Fact is is it is the only car maker to have such diverstity from a hybrid prius to a super car that has unbelieveable technology in it. Of corse it is going to have its critics, they need something to criticize to justify themselves and all can can do is hark on the price, when obviously there are a lot of people who think it is worth the money b/c they are buying it. Thats what really boggles the mind...

My earlier post below.
Thanks Dave, well said! I also see I got about the same number of responses as you did to virtually the same question. None! LOL

I guess we can just wipe the price discussion off the table now and decide to agree that Lexus will be successful and will indeed be able to sell all 500 cars. Whew, close one LOL

Quick Reply: Top Gear LFA thread (SPOILERS)