LFA Model (2012)

Top Gear LFA thread (SPOILERS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 12:47 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think this is the first time I've heard Top Gear complain about the price of a super car.
Old 01-04-10, 01:07 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I think this is the first time I've heard Top Gear complain about the price of a super car.
Seriously, this.

I also like how he so nonchalantly talks about the million pound+ aston martin one-77.

I didn't hear any "does the aston martin have a top speed of 6000 MPH? No? Then why does it cost 30 times more than the GT-R"
Old 01-04-10, 01:23 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I just watched the video again and I am so impressed with the sound of the V10. Brilliant!!!!!
Old 01-04-10, 01:25 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carLx
Seriously, this.

I also like how he so nonchalantly talks about the million pound+ aston martin one-77.

I didn't hear any "does the aston martin have a top speed of 6000 MPH? No? Then why does it cost 30 times more than the GT-R"
Of course you wouldn't hear that. Aston is british.
Old 01-04-10, 07:17 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Everyone has their bias. I would take their comments with a grain of salt. We're just as equally guilty. Just enjoy the video
Old 01-04-10, 08:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Originally Posted by carLx
Seriously, this.

haha it's just their comments, everyone has their bias somewhat anyway. i just take it as a joke
Old 01-04-10, 09:02 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
haha it's just their comments, everyone has their bias somewhat anyway. i just take it as a joke
Don't forget that Japanese and U.S. spec Lexus are somewhat superior than the ones Europe gets, so the bias is present.

I mean, we have the luxury of all types of engine variants. For example, the UK gets the IS220d, RX450h, and GS450h variants only (the IS-F and LS models are the same).

For the LF-A to suddenly appear in the UK with less history and lineage than that of the US, the car surely will come as a surprise, both in performance and price...
Old 01-04-10, 10:45 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the point that top gear was trying to make is a valid one......yes the dont rip on aston cause its british ( well technicaly its kuwaiti now :P ) but for the price of the car the preformance realy isnt up to it....its 100,000 pounds more than a 599 which is as fast, basicly u can buy an lp640 and a new turbo which are both considerd super cars for the price of the LFA and both are faster.......the R8 V10 is just as fast with a 0-60 in 3.7 and a 200 mph top speed, the slr 722 is faster and costs the same and just as exotic, the 458 is faster also just as exotic and cheaper, you guys see where im going with this, the car is amazing and i think lexus did a good job with it, but they dropped the ball when they set the price and made it a limited run car cause it cannot and will not compete with the cars in its price bracket.......for that price I would take the SV670 any day........
Old 01-04-10, 11:16 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by biggie27
I think the point that top gear was trying to make is a valid one......yes the dont rip on aston cause its british ( well technicaly its kuwaiti now :P ) but for the price of the car the preformance realy isnt up to it....its 100,000 pounds more than a 599 which is as fast, basicly u can buy an lp640 and a new turbo which are both considerd super cars for the price of the LFA and both are faster.......the R8 V10 is just as fast with a 0-60 in 3.7 and a 200 mph top speed, the slr 722 is faster and costs the same and just as exotic, the 458 is faster also just as exotic and cheaper, you guys see where im going with this, the car is amazing and i think lexus did a good job with it, but they dropped the ball when they set the price and made it a limited run car cause it cannot and will not compete with the cars in its price bracket.......for that price I would take the SV670 any day........

It is not valid. The 599 is not made of Carbon Fibre, nor does it have a bespoke engine. I will also bet you that an LFA will hand the 599's *** to it on a titanium platter at any race track out there. "As fast as" on paper does not mean "As fast as" in the real world. The Murcielago chassis has been *****d out with different variants for more than 6 years now, it's also a behemoth with no CF ($$$$expensive stuff$$$$) in it's chassis. Last I checked, the 722 is no faster (even on paper) than the LFA, also has carbon fiber but weighs a ton more and is also much more expensive, not to mention that even the "regular" SLR costs more regardless of the archaic supercharged SOHC v8 engine it uses. Ferrari's are artificially priced. They will also sell about 4x-10x 458s on a yearly basis than what the LFA will sell in it's lifetime. Also, Call me sometime when you can find a 458 selling at MSRP, and the dealer that will sell me it having never owned a Ferrari before. I'd appreciate it, thanks. The LFA will sell it's 500 car run, regardless of whether or not you choose to pick one up. It's rather useless at this point to ***** about the price, so I don't know why most of you just won't drop it. Pretty sure that the buyers will be happy and that years down the line when they flip their cras for $1 million + they will look back and laugh at all you morons who were telling them they were morons for "spending $400k on a Toyota".

Old 01-04-10, 11:17 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

well said. Its a great car no denying it, but they killed it before its birth just with the price. There are many wealthy collectors out there who will want one, BUT I dont think they are going to move them easily. I dont see many people other than the first 100 buyers going for it. After that the consumers will wake up. By the time they release the LFA for sale and pick up the Lamborghinis will be closer to 700 hp. They keep creeping every 1-2 years.

LFA is amazing but not worth the money. I would say in my humble opinion but NO it seems like my opinion lines up with every automotive journalists opinion that has actually driven the car. People who buy cars in this price range dont lust after a Lexus . Lexus is a great brand but they need to crawl before they run.

400k for a Lexus is just poor marketing no matter how you look at it
Old 01-04-10, 11:33 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
It is not valid. The 599 is not made of Carbon Fibre, nor does it have a bespoke engine. I will also bet you that an LFA will hand the 599's *** to it on a titanium platter at any race track out there. "As fast as" on paper does not mean "As fast as" in the real world. The Murcielago chassis has been *****d out with different variants for more than 6 years now, it's also a behemoth with no CF ($$$$expensive stuff$$$$) in it's chassis. Last I checked, the 722 is no faster (even on paper) than the LFA, also has carbon fiber but weighs a ton more and is also much more expensive, not to mention that even the "regular" SLR costs more regardless of the archaic supercharged SOHC v8 engine it uses. Ferrari's are artificially priced. They will also sell about 4x-10x 458s on a yearly basis than what the LFA will sell in it's lifetime. Also, Call me sometime when you can find a 458 selling at MSRP, and the dealer that will sell me it having never owned a Ferrari before. I'd appreciate it, thanks. The LFA will sell it's 500 car run, regardless of whether or not you choose to pick one up. It's rather useless at this point to ***** about the price, so I don't know why most of you just won't drop it. Pretty sure that the buyers will be happy and that years down the line when they flip their cras for $1 million + they will look back and laugh at all you morons who were telling them they were morons for "spending $400k on a Toyota".

Carbon fiber and bespoke engine dont mean anything if it doesn't give the car a performance edge over many of its competitors. The 599 rocks a variant of the lowly Enzo motor ,does that make the LFA better??....... The ZR1 is not made totally of CF and weighs 87 lbs more than the LFA but has 86 more hp. That means that all of the CF work you are drooling over means nothing. They sell the ZR1 for 100k (less right now). 300k extra for what? because its sells in lower numbers and has less power?? Open your eyes a little and try to blow some of the smoke that you are blowing away from your eyes so you can see. People will look back at the LFA in the future as a major step forward for a great luxury car manufacturer but will also fall on its face with the price they are asking imo. Only time will tell and I am sure this forum will be watching them roll off the assembly line

also if you cant disagree politely then leave the thread. Dont call members morons to prove your point. Nobody will ever disagree that the car is great but I think only the minority believes that its worth 400k when compared to its peers. To each his own. Just leave it that way and settle down. I know your responses only come fro passion but there is more than one opinion here.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-04-10 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-04-10, 11:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

i agree the LFA is overpriced. but it is unique. and spectacular. and will be very rare. and they will sell every one. so go for it Lexus.
Old 01-04-10, 11:58 AM
highstakes
Pole Position

Well said.
Old 01-04-10, 12:03 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR_F1

wow dude u said a mouth full and a half.....i feel like i insulted u with my comment.....listen as people said before me you might be passionate about the car and I can understand, but insulting people who disagree with u isnt the way about it.......I just gave my opinion, and I do agree that all 500 will sell if not already sold, hell my lexus dealer asked for 15 spots and they only alocated him 3 which are all sold, just because lexus didnt build the best super car in the world doesnt mean its a bad car, its a great effort from lexus and it proves that they can build it, BUT its not the best out there and the competition is proving it......as I said 458, porsche turbo, the new Mclaren, SLS, LP560-4 are all faster and with more power ( except for the turbo ) and cheaper too and thats not even the class that lexus is targeting.......maybe the next one around they will build an even better car and learn from the mistake..........as for the 458 I have 2 at MSRP let me know if your serious about them
Old 01-04-10, 12:24 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Carbon fiber and bespoke engine dont mean anything if it doesn't give the car a performance edge over many of its competitors. The 599 rocks a variant of the lowly Enzo motor ,does that make the LFA better??....... The ZR1 is not made totally of CF and weighs 87 lbs more than the LFA but has 86 more hp. That means that all of the CF work you are drooling over means nothing. They sell the ZR1 for 100k (less right now). 300k extra for what? because its sells in lower numbers and has less power?? Open your eyes a little and try to blow some of the smoke that you are blowing away from your eyes so you can see. People will look back at the LFA in the future as a major step forward for a great luxury car manufacturer but will also fall on its face with the price they are asking imo. Only time will tell and I am sure this forum will be watching them roll off the assembly line

First of all;
Sure, Pictures say 1000 words;

There is not ONE carbon fiber supercar that costs less than the LFA. Arguably weighing another 220lbs using an Aluminum chassis, it would NOT have mad a big as statement as it has had, neither would it have allowed Toyota to invest in a future of lightweight cars.

Secondly;
The 599 uses a Tippo F140 engine which is a variant of the V12 (based on the V6 Dino engine) which has been around since 1992 and has seen duty in;
-456/456 M
-550 Maranello
-575M
-612 Scaglietti
-Enzo/Maseratti MC12

Thirdly;
I'm not happy about the price, nor am I about the limited production. However, do you really expect them to take a huge loss on each vehicle? This is not a Prius where they were going to sell hundreds of thousands eventually. I understand why they are charging what they are. I'm just thankful that it is here. Would I buy one if I could? In a heartbeat.

Last edited by MR_F1; 01-04-10 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Top Gear LFA thread (SPOILERS)