LFA Model (2012)

Top Gear LFA thread (SPOILERS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 12:37 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I think this is the first time I've heard Top Gear complain about the price of a super car.
don't forget he also says, "at the end of the day, it's just a LEXUS???!! oh god..(it's not even exotic)."
Old 01-04-10, 12:39 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by biggie27
wow dude u said a mouth full and a half.....i feel like i insulted u with my comment.....listen as people said before me you might be passionate about the car and I can understand, but insulting people who disagree with u isnt the way about it.......I just gave my opinion, and I do agree that all 500 will sell if not already sold, hell my lexus dealer asked for 15 spots and they only alocated him 3 which are all sold, just because lexus didnt build the best super car in the world doesnt mean its a bad car, its a great effort from lexus and it proves that they can build it, BUT its not the best out there and the competition is proving it......as I said 458, porsche turbo, the new Mclaren, SLS, LP560-4 are all faster and with more power ( except for the turbo ) and cheaper too and thats not even the class that lexus is targeting.......maybe the next one around they will build an even better car and learn from the mistake..........as for the 458 I have 2 at MSRP let me know if your serious about them

I apologize if you feel I insulted you, I sincerely mean that. It really is just getting tired that everytime a discussion on the car comes up, some one chimes in "but the cost.......".
We've know the price for 2 months now. You can't say any of these cars are faster. The Ferrari and the Lexus have not been tested real life, and you will see that when they are tested head to head the LFA will likely best the all and at least equal the Ferrari and Mclaren. You have to remember the on paper specs of the LFA (if that is what you are using for comparison) takes into consideration having a driver **and** passenger onboard (making for an extra 60-75kg) as well as considering the traction control is turned off.
The beauty of the LFA is the driving experience, and how close, or past the limit it allows the driver to take it (according to what we've been told). Which is why it can turn in incredible lap times as opposed to say, a Porsche carrera GT which if you go by the specs, ought to be much faster, but it simply doesn't allow the driver to take it to the top of it's potential.
Old 01-04-10, 12:41 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
don't forget he also says, "at the end of the day, it's just a LEXUS???!! oh god..(it's not even exotic)."
Lexus does not have that great an image in the UK.
Old 01-04-10, 12:43 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow dude u said a mouth full and a half.....i feel like i insulted u with my comment.....listen as people said before me you might be passionate about the car and I can understand, but insulting people who disagree with u isnt the way about it.......I just gave my opinion, and I do agree that all 500 will sell if not already sold, hell my lexus dealer asked for 15 spots and they only alocated him 3 which are all sold, just because lexus didnt build the best super car in the world doesnt mean its a bad car, its a great effort from lexus and it proves that they can build it, BUT its not the best out there and the competition is proving it......as I said 458, porsche turbo, the new Mclaren, SLS, LP560-4 are all faster and with more power ( except for the turbo ) and cheaper too and thats not even the class that lexus is targeting.......maybe the next one around they will build an even better car and learn from the mistake..........as for the 458 I have 2 at MSRP let me know if your serious about them
I'm not sure I understand your point with the LFA as I don't think Lexus has ever said they were breaking the supercar mold. As you said, Lexus will sell all 500 which is its intent. And if that's the case where is the mistake?

Better car next time? Exactly where is this car lacking?
Old 01-04-10, 12:48 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

I think the point that top gear was trying to make is a valid one......yes the dont rip on aston cause its british ( well technicaly its kuwaiti now :P ) but for the price of the car the preformance realy isnt up to it....its 100,000 pounds more than a 599 which is as fast, basicly u can buy an lp640 and a new turbo which are both considerd super cars for the price of the LFA and both are faster.......the R8 V10 is just as fast with a 0-60 in 3.7 and a 200 mph top speed, the slr 722 is faster and costs the same and just as exotic, the 458 is faster also just as exotic and cheaper, you guys see where im going with this, the car is amazing and i think lexus did a good job with it, but they dropped the ball when they set the price and made it a limited run car cause it cannot and will not compete with the cars in its price bracket.......for that price I would take the SV670 any day........
The 599 is only "as fast" as the LFA in straight-line 0-60 acceleration. That's it!! On a track with bends the LFA simply obliterates the 599, which does the 'Ring in a pathetic (for a modern supercar) 7 minutes and 47 seconds. The LFA does the 'Ring in less than 7:24 according to various sources. The beauty of the LFA lies in its perfectly balanced vehicle dynamics, not raw power. 0-60 time is not the only measurement of a car's performance or we'd all be driving American muscles.

Last edited by Mister Two; 01-04-10 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 01:15 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
I'm not sure I understand your point with the LFA as I don't think Lexus has ever said they were breaking the supercar mold. As you said, Lexus will sell all 500 which is its intent. And if that's the case where is the mistake?

Better car next time? Exactly where is this car lacking?
I never said that there gonna break the mold all I meant that the cars lexus priced there cars against ( LP670SV, SLR 722, Gumpert, noble, ect. ) all these cars are far superior than the lexus, and im not quoting numbers off a magazine, these are numbers published by the top gear track by the same driver on the same track....even if u give the lexus a 3 second bump up because of the wet condition ( which is alot.... the stig says its 2 seconds with his driving ) it still doesnt match up......the best it can do is meet up with the tier under these cars, which are the GTR, 458, Lp560, R8 V10, Porsche Turbo, Porsche GT2, the new Mclaren, SLS amongst others.......yes it will beat some of those cars but not all of them even on the track, it doesnt mean its a bad car, hell I just got one of those cars and Im exctatic......but HP to dollar ratio is off the charts here, yes its a limited run car but honestly can you say that the price justifies its performance and class, I mean taking that 400,000 dollar lexus on a track to show it off, only to be beat by a 250,000 dollar ferrari, and lambo, and porsche, and corvette, even the 430 scuderia will give it a run for its money.........ok so maybe the track is not your scene, going to the club the lexus will sure get alot of attention......but that bright orange SV is gonna grab ALOT more, so will that crazy looking Gumpert or that loud mouthed SLR with its crazy doors........as I said lexus did build an amazing machine if only it was half the price.........

FLAME SUIT ON
Old 01-04-10, 01:15 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Please remember that Top Gear is about entertainment.

They do blather along.

I would point us back to Hammond's drive where he admitted that their blah blah ing the car befor having one to drive resulting in an egg on face and foot in mouth moment. That says enough.

One aspect of the 599 comparo that I noted was the 100K pounds pricing difference. That is about $160,000 for UK customers.

In the US market, a nicely equipped 599 is more like $340,000 (before discounts). If the $375,000 US LFA price is real, the difference for US customers is only $35,000.
Old 01-04-10, 01:16 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

anyone see in the top gear vid when hammond kinda scoffed at a 100,000 pound LFA? Did he really expect a car built like this to cost so unrealistically little?
Old 01-04-10, 01:25 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Don't forget the 3.7 secs 0 - 100 km/h (3.6 0 - 60 mph) is the underrated Lexus claim. I am sure using launch control, the LF-A will scream its way to 60 mph in less than 3.3 seconds in first gear alone. GUARANTEED!!! Certainly, a 5.9 lbs/HP power-to-weight is that of a low-3 second car.

$230K Ferrari 458 is nearly 150 lbs heavier and makes 2 HP less. The chassis dynamics of LF-A are very hard to match. I am quite sure LF-A can comfortably beat it around a race track.

Then add the fact, LF-A sound puts F458 sound to shame, which sounds exactly like two VTEC 4 bangers smashed together. The LF-A is far more luxurious than F458 so it is not a stretch for the car to be over $300K.

Remember, Lexus has already decided to make only 500 of these. That is why they do not have to worry about pricing or selling since all of these 500 will sell very easily. An Enzo Ferrari cost a million dollars and only 300 were made and spoken for.

LF-A MIGHT BE overpriced, but I cannot find another 2-seater exotic car that combines luxury and hardcore race car attributes this well. 599 GTB is a luxury GT touring sports car and not an all out exotic supercar. It will still get killed by the LF-A around a race track, yet it costs $350,000 in the US.

9500 rpm rev limit in LFA is 500 rpm higher than the Ferrari 458. Now that is just pure sweetness!!!

Originally Posted by Mister Two
The 599 is only "as fast" as the LFA in straight-line 0-60 acceleration. That's it!! On a track with bends the LFA simply obliterates the 599, which does the 'Ring in a pathetic (for a modern supercar) 7 minutes and 47 seconds. The LFA does the 'Ring in less than 7:24 according to various sources. The beauty of the LFA lies in its perfectly balanced vehicle dynamics, not raw power. 0-60 time is not the only measurement of a car's performance or we'd all be driving American muscles.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-04-10 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 01:40 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there are people who love the LFA(me included) and some people that don't. it's just different strokes for different folks. some people needs to calm down a bit. no need to call each other names.

it is expensive, but technology is expensive. an LED tv costs more than a LCD. they're pretty much similar except for the backlighting. LED offers a bit better black levels and contrasts but costs more.

Just think about how much it costs to make all that CF, R&D and etc. the low production numbers don't help(economies of scale). price isn't too bad considering it costs $5million for an F1 car, hahaha.

it's not always about hp and 0-60 numbers. look at the AE86.
Old 01-04-10, 01:46 PM
paul_k
Rookie

The LFA does the 'Ring in less than 7:24 according to various sources
Could links to the sources be provided please?
Old 01-04-10, 02:01 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by paul_k
Could links to the sources be provided please?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_LFA

"In December 2007, Auto Express reported that the LF-A had set an unofficial 7:24 lap record at the Nürburgring"
Old 01-04-10, 02:05 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just watched it and its great! The lap was kind of boring, but it was fast for a wet lap. Everyone blow up lexusPR on twitter and tell them to give it back to the stig on a dry day!

For the most part, i thought the review was very positive. It didnt surprise me what Clarkson said because i think we all know he isnt a fan of Japanese cars(especially toyota/lexus ).
Old 01-04-10, 03:07 PM
edinlexv8
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LFA on top gear

I watched lastnights top gear a few times on the iPlayer just to get a feel of the sounds that LFA makes!! Amazing!! I would like to see a dry lap time for this supercar. Strangely Clarkson complains about the price of a supercar when there are Zondas with full carbon fibre body for 3/4 of a million! I know it is still a lexus but it feels like it is worth the money when you put it in the mix with the other bad boys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFxII5cwvsc

Hope with all this innovation Lexus brings out some good high performance cars for a decent price, something in the range of GTRs!

Last edited by edinlexv8; 01-04-10 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 03:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
First of all;
Sure, Pictures say 1000 words;

There is not ONE carbon fiber supercar that costs less than the LFA. Arguably weighing another 220lbs using an Aluminum chassis, it would NOT have mad a big as statement as it has had, neither would it have allowed Toyota to invest in a future of lightweight cars.

Secondly;
The 599 uses a Tippo F140 engine which is a variant of the V12 (based on the V6 Dino engine) which has been around since 1992 and has seen duty in;
-456/456 M
-550 Maranello
-575M
-612 Scaglietti
-Enzo/Maseratti MC12

Thirdly;
I'm not happy about the price, nor am I about the limited production. However, do you really expect them to take a huge loss on each vehicle? This is not a Prius where they were going to sell hundreds of thousands eventually. I understand why they are charging what they are. I'm just thankful that it is here. Would I buy one if I could? In a heartbeat.
I absolutely see your point and appreciate what you are trying to say but I am still blown away by the price as are most automotive journalists .

Is it possible that the LF-A was "over engineered" therefore resulting in its stratospheric price? The Carerra GT is a V10 super car made with loads of CF and it went for close to what the LFA is when it was released in 2004 ($414,000). In 2004 the car was faster and reached a higher top speed . $414,000 was insane but for the technology offered 6 years ago the price should have been higher. I dont know what the deal is exactly. Bottom line we should all celebrate the LF-A as enthusiasts and especially as Lexus owners and fans. I will never get tired of the sound this thing makes.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-04-10 at 03:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Top Gear LFA thread (SPOILERS)