LFA Model (2012)

Top Gear LFA thread (SPOILERS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 08:30 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

We're going in circles here. It's the same thing I've been preaching for years.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
The engine is slightly smaller than the IS-F in displacement. Not to mention the LFA engine weighs as much as the IS350 engine despite being a V10.
I think I read somewhere that the engine was roughly the same size (physically) as the IS250's engine. That's good packaging!
Old 01-05-10, 08:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
What is the big deal if does not have tons of torque down low? It is not a commuter sedan that needs gobs of torque down low to pull almost a two-ton weight or needs lots of torque because it redlines at only 6700 rpm.
nah i think you don't get gsteg's point. he's saying no low end tq is no biggie at all. it's some other people who just look at the peak numbers on PAPER and start whining saying the car has no tq. they have no understand of the real power, gearing, etc... like you mentioned.

one very simple fact is m3 has very low tq number on paper compared to c63 and isf. is the car slow? hardly. that's the end of story
Old 01-05-10, 08:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GSteg
We're going in circles here. It's the same thing I've been preaching for years.

I think I read somewhere that the engine was roughly the same size (physically) as the IS250's engine. That's good packaging!
it is indeed excellent packaging. the size / weight of this v10 is not something i have seen in a long time
Old 01-05-10, 09:12 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,771 Posts

Agreed. Hammond was raving about how fast the LF-A was in a straight line.

People indeed look at the paper and the peak numbers where it is almost like a "bragging right".

The only downside to a very flat torque curve is that one does not "feel" acceleration unless you look down on the speedo since the car continuously accelerates at a constant rate as opposed to a dramatic surge in and dip in torque altering the rate of change of acceleration.

The human mind naturally associates acceleration with the violent surge in torque rather than a constant very fast rate of acceleration. That is why Ferrari creates these huge peaks in torque above 6000 rpm to make a dramatic feeling for the driver.

Originally Posted by rominl
nah i think you don't get gsteg's point. he's saying no low end tq is no biggie at all. it's some other people who just look at the peak numbers on PAPER and start whining saying the car has no tq. they have no understand of the real power, gearing, etc... like you mentioned.

one very simple fact is m3 has very low tq number on paper compared to c63 and isf. is the car slow? hardly. that's the end of story

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-05-10 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-05-10, 09:13 AM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish they had showed an IS-F next to the ISx50 as well...
Old 01-05-10, 09:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Agreed. Hammond was raving about how fast the LF-A was in a straight line.

People indeed look at the paper and the peak numbers where it is almost like a "bragging right".

The only downside to a very flat torque curve is that one does not "feel" acceleration unless you look down on the speedo since the car continuously accelerates at a constant rate as opposed to a dramatic surge in and dip in torque altering the rate of change of acceleration.

The human mind naturally associates acceleration with the violent surge in torque rather than a constant very fast rate of acceleration. That is why Ferrari creates these huge peaks in torque above 6000 rpm to make a dramatic feeling for the driver.
yup, the "feel" of acceleration is another story and i can most definitely see how that can be an "appeal" to some customers. i am not saying which one is good / bad, it's just different. when i drive a sedan / big car, the tq feel is pretty cool on pick up speed. but learning from the s2k and also driving my e93 m3, i can definitely understand the concept behind flat tq and high rev setup
Old 01-05-10, 10:09 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

didnt like when the guy said at the end of the day, its lexus and cost 400k...it just lexus...i was little disappoint they didnt give much respect for the car its self...they kept hatin on the car for its price...understand its expensive but the car has its purpose..and never mind the next gen dashboard...top gear always hated on lexus anyway...
Old 01-05-10, 10:43 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Geeze so many pot shots by Jeremy in this vid, but regardless, the commentary is comical.

"This thing sounds like an old F1 car, lets hope it's not using know how from the Toyota team or it will be rubbish..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC3V4Li6m-g
Old 01-05-10, 10:55 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

It will be safe to say i'm the first one on Club Lexus that has driven the LFA (jruhi4 had his turn after me), in fact the exact same exact white LFA that Top Gear drove in their review.

Everyone will have different opinions of the LFA. Is it expensive? Yes. Is the acceleration and overall feel of the car beyond what anyone can imagine or experience. YES!!!

This car is a complete Lexus interpreted package. It's no doubt pure sensory overload. In fact the first lap I drove was a bit scary since the car is a prototype. Just after a few turns, I got very familiar with the feel and the car asks you to push it more and more. It's a bummer that most people associate Lexus with "boring" and "bland", but the LFA is definitely opposite of it. Many are quick to criticize it's price and shortcomings but for those who are fortunate enough to buy this, you can't put a price on what you like or value.
Old 01-05-10, 12:10 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yes exactly. An E9X M3 is the perfect example. I have driven an E90 M3 sedan 6 speed manual and it pulls ferociously hard right up to 8400 rpm continuously.

I could imagine the Lexus LF-A must feel like pulling like a freight train even at 9500 rpm.

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, the "feel" of acceleration is another story and i can most definitely see how that can be an "appeal" to some customers. i am not saying which one is good / bad, it's just different. when i drive a sedan / big car, the tq feel is pretty cool on pick up speed. but learning from the s2k and also driving my e93 m3, i can definitely understand the concept behind flat tq and high rev setup
Old 01-05-10, 12:49 PM
DeTomaso
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1 min 22.8 sec is a great time for a RWD car on such a wet track. We can discuss forever if the track was wet or even very wet (Hammond) and if the car would have been 4 or even 6 seconds faster on a dry surface. Setting the fastest ever wet track time, 3 seconds lower than an AWD(!) car, it shows us at least that it handles and performs extremely well in rain. That alone is already proof of its excellent engineering and helps explaining the steep price.
Let us hope a decent car magazine like German Sport Auto tests it soon on Hockenheim or the Nürburgring so people can finally see that it performs accordingly.

Last edited by DeTomaso; 01-05-10 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 02:19 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I envy you so much since I may never get to drive one. Just listening to that glorious, beautiful philharmonic symphony LF-A belts out in all octaves is a sensory overload in itself.

Originally Posted by flipside909
It will be safe to say i'm the first one on Club Lexus that has driven the LFA (jruhi4 had his turn after me), in fact the exact same exact white LFA that Top Gear drove in their review.

Everyone will have different opinions of the LFA. Is it expensive? Yes. Is the acceleration and overall feel of the car beyond what anyone can imagine or experience. YES!!!

This car is a complete Lexus interpreted package. It's no doubt pure sensory overload. In fact the first lap I drove was a bit scary since the car is a prototype. Just after a few turns, I got very familiar with the feel and the car asks you to push it more and more. It's a bummer that most people associate Lexus with "boring" and "bland", but the LFA is definitely opposite of it. Many are quick to criticize it's price and shortcomings but for those who are fortunate enough to buy this, you can't put a price on what you like or value.
Old 01-05-10, 02:31 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

[tinfoil]maybe they purposely waited for a wet day to mask the real performance of the LFA from dry conditions because of Top Gears bias[/tinfoil]
Old 01-05-10, 03:00 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really hope there is a chance for a dry lap in the future (once the car is actually in production). It'll be nice to see.
Old 01-05-10, 03:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LIMS407
didnt like when the guy said at the end of the day, its lexus and cost 400k...it just lexus...i was little disappoint they didnt give much respect for the car its self...they kept hatin on the car for its price...understand its expensive but the car has its purpose..and never mind the next gen dashboard...top gear always hated on lexus anyway...
Geeze so many pot shots by Jeremy in this vid, but regardless, the commentary is comical.

"This thing sounds like an old F1 car, lets hope it's not using know how from the Toyota team or it will be rubbish..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC3V4Li6m-g

why do the cheap shots surprise you guys? Do you remember peoples attitudes at the Hyundai Genesis? It exactly the same thing. We have a manufacturer that produced a very well made machine but yet its reputation precedes the car. Hyundai is odd as a luxury car and a Lexus is a strange super car. Oh how the tables have turned. It just shows me the Lexus bias in this forum. No matter what its going to be hard for a manufacturer to bust into any high end segment especially when their previous design are the furthest thing from what they are releasing now ( the ISF is no super car so please dont chime in with "what about the IS-F")

Quick Reply: Top Gear LFA thread (SPOILERS)