LFA Model (2012)

Lexus will only sell the LFA to those who will flaunt it

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 08:28 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Do any of you all remember the BMW M1? At the time of it's inception in the late 70's, it was a limited production car made with exotic parts and materials to which about 455 were only made. Lexus is basically taking a page out of the BMW book of performance. Create a one-off halo car, and extend and extrapolate the goods into future models. Hence we have a host of M performance models from the birth of the M1. In the case for Lexus, the ISF came before the LFA, but the development for the LFA started way before the ISF was introduced. Some of you are so quick to jump on Toyota but they're smart. Although they're taking a loss on each LFA, it's only building blocks they're collecting for future Toyota and Lexus models.
Old 01-20-10, 08:35 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Do any of you all remember the BMW M1? At the time of it's inception in the late 70's, it was a limited production car made with exotic parts and materials to which about 455 were only made. Lexus is basically taking a page out of the BMW book of performance. Create a one-off halo car, and extend and extrapolate the goods into future models. Hence we have a host of M performance models from the birth of the M1. In the case for Lexus, the ISF came before the LFA, but the development for the LFA started way before the ISF was introduced. Some of you are so quick to jump on Toyota but they're smart. Although they're taking a loss on each LFA, it's only building blocks they're collecting for future Toyota and Lexus models.
I thought Lexus took a page from the Toyota playbook? Re: 2000GT
Old 01-20-10, 08:39 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I thought Lexus took a page from the Toyota playbook? Re: 2000GT

You can look at it in that aspect, although a classic the 2000GT was never meant to be an exotic. There were Toyota predecessors that helped extend that heritage of the 2000GT, but it did not create a specific performance identity or division of it's own.

Last edited by flipside909; 01-20-10 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-20-10, 08:50 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by baadhabit
Ferrari does something similar with their cars. i belive before you even get a chance to buy an Enzo you have owned a few other Ferraris then you have to go to a driving school etc etc
It's worse than that actually - you have to buy a few used Ferraris at absurd dealer markups just to get the chance to buy any new Ferrari. Otherwise, you can hop onto that long, never-decreasing waiting list while Ferrari keeps letting other people cut in front of you.
Old 01-20-10, 09:02 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

narrowing the buyers to those kinds of people will only tarnish the brand image
why cant they it be a collectors item sort of car, it is not like they cannot achieve its halo effect without imposing such a strict and stupid rule
Old 01-20-10, 09:13 PM
LexFather

Not even going to respond to Stormwind

Let me quickly talk about the M1 The contract was for Lambo to build it but they could not fulfill that contract so it moved to Baur. 455 were made (399 are road cars, the rest race cars) not b/c BMW wanted to limit sales, it was b/c no one wanted them and the racing rules changed. They were very problematic and to be honest not really mentioned with the great supercars. It was actually built for homologation.

TODAY people talk about the M1 and BMW is great at using "heritage" but it wasn't a home run by any means. Now I will say it did create the "M" brand and the M3/M5 came a few years after, which is to Ryan's point that Lexus wants the LFA to create the "F" brand. The confusing part is the LFA WAS a PLANNED product 10 years ago and remember, though the IS-F came first, it was NOT a planned product, it was a "skunkworks" product.

We have now seen a IS-F CSS which used CF parts all over. Could this be from what was learned from the LFA? I believe so.

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
This is a wrong tactic in my opinion. Lexus should build an entry level super car costing around $130k and build like 10,000 units a year, not a top level super car costing $400k and produce 500 units throughout the whole model life. If you want people to know your capability to make cars on par with those of Porsche and Ferrari, you want your product to be seen. How could I know there is such a Lexus super car if I can't see one on the street in five years? Not everyone is like us car enthusiasts following car news all the time. I am sure many people do not know LF-A's existence. Toyota is like this, either don't make a sports car, or make an ultra-expensive one so seldom ones could actually own it. Learn to run before knowing how to walk. Be cocky all you want Toyota, this car is not going to accomplish what it was originally meant to.
The 65k SC 430's highest allocation was 12k a year then 10k after...you want a 130k car to sell 10k units a year? That is IMPOSSIBLE. You do realize Nissan sells about 100 80k GT-Rs a month and Audi sells about 80 130k-200k R8s a month. That is around 900-1200 a year max.

It is amazing to me people are not celebrating the first true exotic from Japan and instead find ways to embarrass it. It is borderline offensive. It is amazing to me people want the car "dumbed down" instead of using the pinnacle and highest technology Japan has put in a sports car.

It truly puzzles me. People have said for so long "Lexus is boring" over and over no matter what they build. Here they build BY FAR the most exotic Japanese car, a blend of NSX and GT-R and they are picking it apart. Lexus originally planned to make an okay supercar and then said "you know what, let us see what we are capable of". People are upset at that? People want Lexus to aim low? Huh????

If the LFA was 200k with a V-8 and was aluminum people would BISH about it not being Carbon Fiber and a V-10 b/c they can't build it. They would say "the NSX was aluminum and 90k".
Old 01-20-10, 09:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Isn't this what Enzo Ferrari did when he first started making cars?? Only the "right" people will get one. Makes sense if its such a limited production car
Old 01-20-10, 10:03 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not even going to respond to Stormwind
".
Oh come on man...you know I speak the truth I am just a lot more open minded and not in denial anymore.
Old 01-20-10, 10:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Lambo vents are actually functional but Lexus is a front engine car with all those vents in the back for??
that statement alone tells me you don't really read enough on this car to actually understand it
Old 01-20-10, 10:49 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Oh come on man...you know I speak the truth I am just a lot more open minded and not in denial anymore.
open minded, ignorant. To "MAY" to, to "MAH" to
Old 01-20-10, 11:24 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by MR_F1
open minded, ignorant. To "MAY" to, to "MAH" to
So with nothing productive to say you have to resort to personal insults now? Kinda like a ricer will resort to saying anything to justify what they had did to their car?
Old 01-20-10, 11:28 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by rominl
that statement alone tells me you don't really read enough on this car to actually understand it
I've read enought about it but to me I think having all those vents trying to be like Lambo in the back with a front engine car is just....like a front wheel drive with a big wing and a wider tires in the back. Sure they can try and explain and justify it but the public on the road looking at it will be like...

I wouldn't want to be the guy with that car trying to explain to everyone at a car meet or a trendy resturant why my front engine car needs to have all those lambo vents and Audi tail.

Last edited by Stormwind; 01-20-10 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-20-10, 11:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I've read enought about it but to me I think having all those vents trying to be like Lambo in the back with a front engine car is just....like a front wheel drive with a big wing and a wider tires in the back. Sure they can try and explain and justify it but the public on the road looking at it will be like...

I wouldn't want to be the guy with that car trying to explain to everyone at a car meet or a trendy resturant why my front engine car needs to have all those lambo vents and Audi tail.
A true car enthusiast will talk about their car to those who ask. If anything, I would want people to ask me about my car and how things work on it. Otherwise it would be just any other ordinary car on the road most people will overlook.

I think we all can agree you don't like the LFA by your condescending tone. I would just leave it at that.
Old 01-20-10, 11:46 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

So with nothing productive to say you have to resort to personal insults now? Kinda like a ricer will resort to saying anything to justify what they had did to their car?
Ignorant = lacking in knowledge about a certain topic. You most definitely are. If you want to take that as an insult, it's your problem.

I wouldn't know about excuses that riceboys make.
Old 01-20-10, 11:49 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

You clearly have shown no clue as to what you're talking about. Let's just leave it at that.

Quick Reply: Lexus will only sell the LFA to those who will flaunt it