LFA Model (2012)

1SICKREVIEW: Shotgun in the LFA++++++ with Scott Pruett (and IS-F/F-sport/event)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-10, 06:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Congragulations, Mike. Seems like it was quite an experience. I have already left my comments on the LF-A in the thread Paul posted (post #39), so I'll ask you about the IS-F. You say it will likely be your next car. You and I have already reviewed at least one IS-F apiece (though, in my case, not on a track like you), so I don't need to go into the details. But, given that you were on a smooth, well-maintained track course, you did not find the ride excessively stiff (for a sedan)? The regular, frost-heaved roads in this area made the IS-F that I reviewed ride and jump up and down like a bronco.....it, and the Mitsubishi Evo, were probably the two harshest-riding sedans I've ever encountered. You probably wouldn't have noticed that on a glass-smooth track, of course....but on a rougher street it, can a different matter. Several CL members criticized me when I complained about the harsh suspension, but even some auto mags agreed. I also noticed that the torque, not bad, of course, at any RPM, really explodes between 3600 and 4000 as the fuel-injectors get reprogrammed in that range.

I agree with you, BTW, that both the Electric Blue and Matador Red are great colors...the Matador red is just stunning, no matter what Lexus model it is. on.

Did you get any actual driving time in the LF-A, or was it all shotgun?
Old 01-29-10, 06:47 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Excellent write-up Mike , I am so envious
Old 01-29-10, 07:05 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Great writeup Mike!
Old 01-29-10, 07:10 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

That was a nice write up, almost felt like I was there ha ha......
Old 01-29-10, 07:24 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by cherplex
Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Great writeup Mike!
Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congragulations, Mike. Seems like it was quite an experience. I have already left my comments on the LF-A in the thread Paul posted (post #39), so I'll ask you about the IS-F. You say it will likely be your next car. You and I have already reviewed at least one IS-F apiece (though, in my case, not on a track like you), so I don't need to go into the details. But, given that you were on a smooth, well-maintained track course, you did not find the ride excessively stiff (for a sedan)? The regular, frost-heaved roads in this area made the IS-F that I reviewed ride and jump up and down like a bronco.....it, and the Mitsubishi Evo, were probably the two harshest-riding sedans I've ever encountered. You probably wouldn't have noticed that on a glass-smooth track, of course....but on a rougher street it, can a different matter. Several CL members criticized me when I complained about the harsh suspension, but even some auto mags agreed. I also noticed that the torque, not bad, of course, at any RPM, really explodes between 3600 and 4000 as the fuel-injectors get reprogrammed in that range.

I agree with you, BTW, that both the Electric Blue and Matador Red are great colors...the Matador red is just stunning, no matter what Lexus model it is. on.

Did you get any actual driving time in the LF-A, or was it all shotgun?
Mike, good questions. bitkahuna told me a long time ago that no one camera fits all needs, you need different cameras for different times. I feel Lexus has done a great job expanding their lineup where they offer as sedate as possible and now as invigorating as possible. I say all that to say while the IS-F would certainly make a great Daily Driver for me, I think I would prefer something else for a DD, something more calming.

The IS-F hopefully would be added and not replacing anything when that time comes . I never felt it was too harsh just driving around, maybe sometimes on the track. I can't complain much about a car who's intention is high performace that is rides harsh. If a RX 350 rides harsh, that is an issue for me.
Old 01-29-10, 07:51 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm jealous dude!

awesome write-up!!!
Old 01-29-10, 08:05 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

holy @#$%@#%@#%#%@

must been a helluva day!!! wow!!! great review too!
Old 01-29-10, 08:42 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

great review!
Old 01-29-10, 08:42 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Mike, that write-up of yours really rocked! Color me impressed!

It was great seeing you and Paul again. Certainly brought back sweet (and, ultimately, bittersweet) Dragon memories...

Oh, and thanks for the shout-out in the second post...
Old 01-29-10, 08:57 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Great write up & pics Mike!!!

I missed the Cali event a few months back...

Overruled by 2nd grade field trip...

Originally Posted by jruhi4
Mike, that write-up of yours really rocked! Color me impressed!

It was great seeing you and Paul again. Certainly brought back sweet (and, ultimately, bittersweet) Dragon memories...

Oh, and thanks for the shout-out in the second post...
Hey Joaquín...

You lucky guy!! Did you get anymore LFA seat time @ Homestead??

Joe Z
Old 01-29-10, 09:09 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Hey Joaquín...

You lucky guy!! Did you get anymore LFA seat time @ Homestead??

Joe Z
I could've, but ultimately chose not to.

I felt I was blessed and privileged enough to drive the beast back in October (see http://www.lexusfforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2065 ) when, ironically, I drew one of the lucky F-Sport decals with "LFA!!!" written on the back. I felt guilty that my friends wouldn't be able to, at least vicariously from the passenger seat, experience the LFA on a race track, so I held an impromptu re-drawing among 3 of my friends that were with me for the event, and one of them drew the lucky sticker and got my ride.
Old 01-29-10, 09:34 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
my gosh, that write up was soooo descriptive felt like I was there also

Still absorbing the LFA that the ISF is..well, a little insignificant right now.

Sort of like going to the car shows and checking out the Exotics first, and then everything else is so blah and plain
Old 01-29-10, 09:38 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What an experience! Thanks for the writeup, it gives me a great appreciation for the LFA.
Old 01-29-10, 10:04 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Wow, great reivew and an experiene to remember for sure.
Old 01-29-10, 10:28 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

great write up mike! i would give my left arm to experience the LFA! at least you can now go down your to-do check list, LFA experience - "done!"

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW: Shotgun in the LFA++++++ with Scott Pruett (and IS-F/F-sport/event)