LFA Model (2012)

1SICKREVIEW: Shotgun in the LFA++++++ with Scott Pruett (and IS-F/F-sport/event)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-10, 01:29 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up!

No matter how good it is written, unless one sits in the car travelling down @ 150mph+, feels the G when it breaks or turns the corners while hearing the V10 engine rev at catatrophic RMP... one will never truely understand.

You lucky bastards...
Old 01-29-10, 01:31 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great writeup indeed. Lucky, lucky!
Old 01-29-10, 01:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
great write up mike! i would give my left arm to experience the LFA! at least you can now go down your to-do check list, LFA experience - "done!"

I agree...a good write-up. I was hoping to see the LF-A at the D.C. Auto Show today, but Lexus crapped out and didn't bring it...they sent it to another show instead.
Old 01-29-10, 05:03 PM
LexFather

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I have more to come as I made multiple stops in Florida.

Its funny as the GS 400 changed perceptions about Lexus, then the IS 300 came, and then the IS-F but this LFA is just in another universe. Execution is brilliant.
Old 01-29-10, 06:16 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its funny as the GS 400 changed perceptions about Lexus, then the IS 300 came, and then the IS-F but this LFA is just in another universe. Execution is brilliant.
Exactly, this is another E-ticket Lexus, in some ways I'd add the 1SC to the list, they come every generation or two, but their impact is remembered long after production is over.
Old 01-29-10, 07:15 PM
KristaP
Empress of the Known Universe

Well done, Mike. Well done.
Old 01-29-10, 08:32 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

man, i freakking hate all of you!
Old 01-30-10, 12:16 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But, given that you were on a smooth, well-maintained track course, you did not find the ride excessively stiff (for a sedan)? The regular, frost-heaved roads in this area made the IS-F that I reviewed ride and jump up and down like a bronco.....it, and the Mitsubishi Evo, were probably the two harshest-riding sedans I've ever encountered. You probably wouldn't have noticed that on a glass-smooth track, of course....but on a rougher street it, can a different matter. Several CL members criticized me when I complained about the harsh suspension, but even some auto mags agreed.
The F actually has a harsher ride than the Evo X MR in my experience. IMO, that is more indicative of how soft the Evo has become, rather than how harsh the F may be. I may have been one of those who "criticized" you in the past, but the reason I believe I and other F owners are critical of reviews focusing on the harsh ride is that it's a given for anything that is sport-tuned, and frankly, I find the F suspension to be far superior than anything that is offered on any performance sedan. I've spent quite some time in an Evo X MR, and honestly it is too soft for me... just like every Evo has been a disappointment since I got to drive a VI. (Certainly, the Evo X MR has done quite well at becoming "mainstream", and I give Mitsubishi kudos for that, as I believe that was their intention.)

I agree...a good write-up. I was hoping to see the LF-A at the D.C. Auto Show today, but Lexus crapped out and didn't bring it...they sent it to another show instead.
I wonder where it was... sorry that you didn't get to see it. At least one LFA should be in Chicago by Wednesday for Lexus' invitational LFA preview for the Chicago Auto Show, but if that was it's next "obligation" there is still no reason it couldn't be in DC today.

I will take plenty of pictures on Wednesday if allowed, although seeing it is of course not nearly as cool as riding in it as some of our fellow forum leaders have gotten to, seemingly multiple times over the last couple months. Hopefully I'll be driving one within the next two years, though.
Old 01-30-10, 06:31 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Excellent posts, Mike! Some of the finest automotive journalism these pages have ever seen. Made me feel like I was in the right seat all the way.
Old 01-30-10, 11:39 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

The white-with-black carbon fiber roof and spoiler LFA is nominally Japan's car, but makes occasional appearances in North America.

As to the Matte Black Beast that came to Homestead-Miami Speedway this past Wednesday, it goes on to the Naples Winter Wine Festival on Florida's west coast this weekend ( http://www.napleswinefestival.com/ ), then it's on to the Chicago Auto Show February 10-21 and a few other events/stops before hitting the New York Auto Show on March 31-April 11.

The fact that the Chicago and Toronto, Canada auto shows are on the same dates means that the white-with-black carbon fiber roof and spoiler LFA will be the one appearing in Canada, while Chicago gets the matte black one.
Old 01-30-10, 01:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

great experience ...great review as well
Old 01-30-10, 04:32 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Hi Mike, I have a few questions. First have you driven or ridden in any other exotics and if so, can you write something about the comparisons? Second, given your experience, do you now plan to buy one?
Old 01-30-10, 08:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,411 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Did you get any actual driving time in the LF-A, or was it all shotgun?
no driving time, 'just' a shotgun ride, but that was perfect for me. i could never leverage even a fraction of the LFA's capability - would much rather be with an expert doing it.

Originally Posted by TommyJames
Hi Mike, I have a few questions. First have you driven or ridden in any other exotics and if so, can you write something about the comparisons? Second, given your experience, do you now plan to buy one?
i'm not mike of course, but would like to answer your questions anyway.

i've been in a ferrari 360 and a porsche GT3 (maybe not considered exotic, but definitely rare, and amazingly capable). the ferrari was awesome, but felt kind of harsh and nowhere near as capable as the LFA. the GT3 is VERY capable in the right hands - incredibly fast. wouldn't have as low a center of gravity or weight distribution as the LFA so handling won't be close, but still impressive.

maybe a newer scuderia would be closer and yes, there's many cars with more power and power to weight, but my thing is handling and control more than brute speed.

as for whether i plan to buy one, uh, not until my fortunes change a LOT.
Old 01-30-10, 08:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TommyJames
Tommy,

Have I ridden in other exotics. Yup. Have I ridden in other exotics at Homestead with Scott Pruett driving? No.

Even if I rode in every exotic at the track that day, I would have said they were ALL beserk and would have tried my best to describe the differences. There is no way I could exploit the capabilities of the LFA or others the way Mr. Pruett could. It would be a waste in my hands if driving 10/10ths is what is desired. My track experience is limited and Clublexus knows this.

If you read my posts in this thread, you would see my interests are in the IS-F.

I know you are no fan of the LFA, which is fine. My review is not to offend any other car in that class or area. I think they are all wonderful. My review was to put people in the the same seat I was in and looking at different forums, they seem to feel that way and for that, I am thankful.
Old 01-31-10, 01:36 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Tommy,

Have I ridden in other exotics. Yup. Have I ridden in other exotics at Homestead with Scott Pruett driving? No.

Even if I rode in every exotic at the track that day, I would have said they were ALL beserk and would have tried my best to describe the differences. There is no way I could exploit the capabilities of the LFA or others the way Mr. Pruett could. It would be a waste in my hands if driving 10/10ths is what is desired. My track experience is limited and Clublexus knows this.

If you read my posts in this thread, you would see my interests are in the IS-F.

I know you are no fan of the LFA, which is fine. My review is not to offend any other car in that class or area. I think they are all wonderful. My review was to put people in the the same seat I was in and looking at different forums, they seem to feel that way and for that, I am thankful.
My point of view is not regarding the validity of the LFA but its price/value and as I've said on multiple posts, the notion of Lexus choosing buyers rather than the other way around. I'm curious how it compares to other exotics for those who have gone for a ride or have driven, if there is anything uniquely different that shifts the price/value equation on the car. I'm doing my best to reserve judgment out of respect for the brand, while at the same time trying to separate hype from fact. You wouldn't be offending any other car if you found it superior, but I'd be curious to know where it stood out the most.

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW: Shotgun in the LFA++++++ with Scott Pruett (and IS-F/F-sport/event)