LFA Model (2012)

1SICKREVIEW: Shotgun in the LFA++++++ with Scott Pruett (and IS-F/F-sport/event)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-10, 10:58 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
As I have mentioned, the only two folks (on this board) who are actively trying to get one are Dave in Japan and myself.
*raises hand* I've expressed my interest on the prototype forums, although I have not been contacted by as many Lexus people or been offered as many LFA opportunities as you and Dave. I was invited to the Chicago Auto Show preview event on Wednesday though, and I'll see who from Lexus shows up.
Old 02-01-10, 03:29 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Tommy, remember the car won't actually be available until end of the year, so what's there for potential buyers to talk about? not much! i would expect buyers to be pretty discrete.

and remember, they're only making 500, that's it, worldwide, and only 150 in the u.s. i believe. that means many states will NEVER get one (since places like NY, LV, FL, CA, TX will take most of them).

i don't think you'll see the kind of insight you're looking for until about this time next year.
I'm taking that into consideration and putting it into context. There are pockets of exotics in the US. They are never spread over all 50 states. Here are a few examples. Lamborghini built roughly 250 Murcielago Roadsters for the US market, of that a little over half are LP640 Roadsters- somewhere around 150 cars. Mine was the only one in Washington state, until recently. There are now three, two are here for service. There are none in Oregon, Idaho, and one in Montana. I'm guessing there are about 75 in the LA area alone.

In the case of the Murcielago SV, it's a $500k car so the market is even smaller. The factory planned to build 350 in the one year limited edition run. They sold fewer than 300 worldwide, but I don't know the total. Of that, just 24 came to the US. That's it. Of the 24, five of them are based here in Seattle, eight in Miami, three in Texas, and that leaves just a few for LA and other parts of the country.

The LFA will likely have similar pockets of owners. This is why the degrees of separation get very small. In the case of the SV, I've never met two of the owners in our area, except in forums like this.

In an apples for apples comparison, the Murcielago coup is the only car that comes close to the LFA in price. It's $125-150k more than a Gallardo and $100k more than the new F458. It's in a spot about $75K below a LP640, but that's about as close as I can get. I'd therefore expect sales patters to be similar to the LP640 and they are not even close so far.

It could be what someone mentioned above, that it's still too far away. Okay, lets assume that. Then how can they be spoken for, and how can "Lexus select" buyers? Keep in mind that most exotics have a lead time of around a year.
Old 02-01-10, 04:01 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyJames
It could be what someone mentioned above, that it's still too far away. Okay, lets assume that. Then how can they be spoken for, and how can "Lexus select" buyers? Keep in mind that most exotics have a lead time of around a year.
Why don't you call someone at the corp office. A specific question like that, I would ask people who can give you a "for sure" answer. Go to the source.

Phone: 1-800-255 3987
Old 02-01-10, 04:08 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by neurocity
Why don't you call someone at the corp office. A specific question like that, I would ask people who can give you a "for sure" answer. Go to the source.

Phone: 1-800-255 3987
Because that's one data point. Wouldn't matter what they say, I never rely on one source of information when it comes to exotics.
Old 02-01-10, 05:08 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

TommyJames:

Your inquiries are interesting and intelligent, and, as one of two people on here that has driven the LFA, perhaps I can shed a little bit of light.

Admittedly, though, I am handicapped by the fact that I have never driven an exotic such as a Ferrari, Lamborghini or Porsche Carrera GT, so my LFA drive was the one and only time I've been blessed and fortunate enough to drive a supercar.

My LFA writeup was so long, in fact, that I had to divide it in two. Part 1 focuses on the ins and outs of the car itself ( http://www.lexusfforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2064 ) while Part 2 is my actual driving impressions ( http://www.lexusfforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2065 )

As to the regional aspect of exotic supercar sales, you are absolutely correct, and Lexus has recognized this. Within the United States, they have focused on three regions as their primary markets for the LFA: Southern California, South Florida and New York. The former two already got their LFA track events for the public, while New York gets its event in late April. The LFA's secondary U.S. markets are Seattle, Las Vegas, Dallas and Houston. No track events are planned for these markets, but it seems likely that there will be events for the handraisers, VIPs and moneyed folks to view the car in those areas.

I have reason to believe that November's California event at Fontana and last weeks Miami track events were either preceded or followed by private track events for the serious VIP handraisers in these markets. Just who are they? Lexus is being very tight-lipped.

As to the LFA purchase plan, it is patterned (perhaps loosely) on what Ferrari did for the F50 and Enzo, and is not a lease per se, but a plan to avoid speculators "flipping" the car during the first two years, and is believed to be "front loaded" whereas you pay more upfront and the buyout is relatively low and reasonable. More details will supposedly be announced later this month.

BTW, do you have anything to do with Tommy James of the Shondells 1960s musical fame?

Last edited by jruhi4; 02-01-10 at 05:12 AM.
Old 02-01-10, 05:56 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jruhi4
TommyJames:

Your inquiries are interesting and intelligent, and, as one of two people on here that has driven the LFA, perhaps I can shed a little bit of light.

Admittedly, though, I am handicapped by the fact that I have never driven an exotic such as a Ferrari, Lamborghini or Porsche Carrera GT, so my LFA drive was the one and only time I've been blessed and fortunate enough to drive a supercar.

My LFA writeup was so long, in fact, that I had to divide it in two. Part 1 focuses on the ins and outs of the car itself ( http://www.lexusfforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2064 ) while Part 2 is my actual driving impressions ( http://www.lexusfforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2065 )

As to the regional aspect of exotic supercar sales, you are absolutely correct, and Lexus has recognized this. Within the United States, they have focused on three regions as their primary markets for the LFA: Southern California, South Florida and New York. The former two already got their LFA track events for the public, while New York gets its event in late April. The LFA's secondary U.S. markets are Seattle, Las Vegas, Dallas and Houston. No track events are planned for these markets, but it seems likely that there will be events for the handraisers, VIPs and moneyed folks to view the car in those areas.

I have reason to believe that November's California event at Fontana and last weeks Miami track events were either preceded or followed by private track events for the serious VIP handraisers in these markets. Just who are they? Lexus is being very tight-lipped.

As to the LFA purchase plan, it is patterned (perhaps loosely) on what Ferrari did for the F50 and Enzo, and is not a lease per se, but a plan to avoid speculators "flipping" the car during the first two years, and is believed to be "front loaded" whereas you pay more upfront and the buyout is relatively low and reasonable. More details will supposedly be announced later this month.

BTW, do you have anything to do with Tommy James of the Shondells 1960s musical fame?
Thanks, this all makes sense. In the case of both the F50 and Enzo, I believe buyers were allocated based on number of Ferraris purchased to date and it was both cars were at the peak of the performance curve. Lexus claim to "choose buyers" is far-fetched, which is why I thought I'd look to the blogs to see what I could find. In those strong economy years, Ferraris were already in short supply and even an F430 had a two year wait. For speculators to snap up cars, the demand has to be there in first place and it's not right now, with the exception of the F458. If you go to the Ferrari blogs, if you read the 458 chatter, you read lots and lots of posts by people who are going to definitely buy the 458. In the case of the 458 I can easily triangulate what dealers are saying with what's written on the blogs and what I'm hearing directly in car circles and they all match. That same chatter doesn't exist at all with the LFA in car circles, and it's not on the forums either. It may be coming, but it's not there yet.

Going after those who carry AMEX Centurion is stereotypical marketing that never ever works with exotics. It's as goofy as Lamborghini assuming that the same buyer that wants a Murcielago also cares about Versace because it's an upscale brand. The Versace cars were so poorly received that they only sold three I believe and they stripped off the branding on the last of the car(s) that didn't sell. Somehow there is this stereotype that just because you're rich you buy a Ferrari or a Lamborghini when most of these owners would never stand out in a crowd. They are usually car guys first. If I had to stereotype a Lamborghini owner, they are usually self-made, own cars as a priority, love machines, work hard, don't car about how they look- t-shirt and bluejeans crowd, and like all machines. Yea, there are the gold-chained clubbers, but they are on the edge of the bell curve. The majority would never get noticed on the street.
Old 02-01-10, 06:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,411 Likes on 1,581 Posts

i don't recall anyone saying they're all spoken for, but 150 units in the u.s. is such a small number, i just don't see any reason they won't get all sold, even in this economy.

as for how can lexus select buyers, it isn't that they're selecting them, it's that they will qualify from those interested, to meet certain criteria, just, as you said, like other exotic makers have done.

as for why you're not seeing much on other exotic forums, i have a hunch the lfa will be bought mostly by people who have NEVER owned an exotic, maybe some who had a hot supra and have the finances to get an lfa. i also say this because i think the philosophy/approach is different. for example, lambos and ferraris border on 'wild' in terms of design, and lambos often come in orange or yellow, and most ferraris in flaming red. the lfa's we've seen have been matte gray and white. with all due respect (and congrats to you!), the lambos and ferraris make a very big statement without even moving. the lfa does too, but in a more understated way.

let me put it this way - and although i've owned a couple of lexus (not currently), i'm not a lexus 'fanboy' - i would NEVER buy a lambo, for many reasons, but part of it is it's 'too' flashy for me. lambos and ferraris are certainly VERY capable vehicles besides the 'wow' factor, but to me the LFA is a much more 'left brain' approach, mostly about function, but with a form that to me is stunning in its apparently 'simplicity' and compactness, but underlying complexity. i don't even like a car like the 911-turbo, because it has too many holes and spoilers and an ugly wing, saying 'look at me'. all of this is moot for me though as i doubt i'll ever own any of these vehicles.
Old 02-01-10, 07:07 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't recall anyone saying they're all spoken for, but 150 units in the u.s. is such a small number, i just don't see any reason they won't get all sold, even in this economy.

as for how can lexus select buyers, it isn't that they're selecting them, it's that they will qualify from those interested, to meet certain criteria, just, as you said, like other exotic makers have done.

as for why you're not seeing much on other exotic forums, i have a hunch the lfa will be bought mostly by people who have NEVER owned an exotic, maybe some who had a hot supra and have the finances to get an lfa. i also say this because i think the philosophy/approach is different. for example, lambos and ferraris border on 'wild' in terms of design, and lambos often come in orange or yellow, and most ferraris in flaming red. the lfa's we've seen have been matte gray and white. with all due respect (and congrats to you!), the lambos and ferraris make a very big statement without even moving. the lfa does too, but in a more understated way.

let me put it this way - and although i've owned a couple of lexus (not currently), i'm not a lexus 'fanboy' - i would NEVER buy a lambo, for many reasons, but part of it is it's 'too' flashy for me. lambos and ferraris are certainly VERY capable vehicles besides the 'wow' factor, but to me the LFA is a much more 'left brain' approach, mostly about function, but with a form that to me is stunning in its apparently 'simplicity' and compactness, but underlying complexity. i don't even like a car like the 911-turbo, because it has too many holes and spoilers and an ugly wing, saying 'look at me'. all of this is moot for me though as i doubt i'll ever own any of these vehicles.
Excellent insights. You could be entirely right. Still 150 cars at $375k is a lot of cars. Keep in mind, only about 24 SVs were sold in the US in this past year. The Huffington Post made it sound like Lexus would select buyers based on lifestyle as it relates to the LFA which is purely subjective and just doesn't ring true. The others took a more pragmatic approach that was simply based on numbers. It will be interesting to see if Lexus can create an entirely new segment in the exotic community. I guess time will tell the story. I'm always surprised by the car community. I had no idea just because I bought the only green SV it would get as much attention as it has. I thought I was just posting another color so who knows, the LFA may be everything they say.
Old 02-01-10, 07:47 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Excellent review and details! Its unfortunate most of us won't get the chance to experience the car like this, but your words bring us one step closer.

Glad you got to enjoy it.
Old 02-01-10, 11:34 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Going after those who carry AMEX Centurion is stereotypical marketing that never ever works with exotics.
Funny you mention the AMEX Centurion card holders. There was a private luncheon for them by Lexus during the 1st press day in Detroit. I was actually present at that luncheon. There were about 100 invited guests in the room. There was a brief presentation on the LFA including a Q&A session. Shortly thereafter, lunch was served. Initially, the flat black LFA that was at the Gallery event at the MGM was supposed to be present in the ballroom. But due to the high security restrictions with S.O.H. Nancy Pelosi and entourage that day, the plans to have the flat black LFA in the room had to be cancelled last minute.

In that luncheon, there were a mix of people there, from retirees, a few young entrepreneurs and many executive types in their 40's to 60's. There was a good mix of male and female in that room. As expected there a small handful (about 10) that raised their hands and asked questions or had any remote interest in the car.

I'm not really sure if those in that room would buy the car, but being how most people are with their purchases, they will be discreet about it and not make it obvious they are actively in the process of obtaining one.

Here are some pics from the room for the luncheon. It's all about the details...

The room:

Guests entering:

The themed table and place setting:

The menu on a c/f print:

Don't forget to call...

Lexus gift bags:
Old 02-01-10, 11:50 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

I wish them luck with that stereotypical marketing route. "Hey, you're rich, you need an exotic!" They need to attend some mixed brand exotic events and see who really shows up. They will quickly see how different the culture is from the stereotype. Even the Rolls Royce crowd doesn't fit the stereotype. Yea, in each pile, some do, but again, they are on the edges of the bell curve.
Old 02-01-10, 02:36 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

TommyJames, what makes you so sure that Lexus is using "stereotypical" marketing? What makes you so sure that Lexus is only going after "stereotypical" rich people?

You seemingly refuse to contact Lexus and get information about the car directly from the source, yet you continue to post on these forums with the same doubts and questions repeatedly.

Perhaps with some events Lexus is simply trying to raise awareness for the car, not to directly find interested buyers at a luncheon.

The current information is that Lexus will choose buyers who drive the car, rather than keep it in a garage. They will choose buyers who showcase the brand and who will have the car out in public a lot. Many of these buyers will likely be "car guys".

Perhaps (as already mentioned by other users), many of the people interested in buying an LFA have never owned an exotic before.

The best thing to do in your case would be to contact Lexus directly or experience the car for yourself at a track event. Since you seemingly refuse to do that, then this becomes a circular argument. You will not find the answers you are looking for on this forum or on car blogs. I will bet anything that a lot of LFA buyers are going to be very discrete, and will not be the type to post on forums or blogs bragging about their car.
Old 02-01-10, 03:05 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
TommyJames, what makes you so sure that Lexus is using "stereotypical" marketing? What makes you so sure that Lexus is only going after "stereotypical" rich people?

You seemingly refuse to contact Lexus and get information about the car directly from the source, yet you continue to post on these forums with the same doubts and questions repeatedly.

Perhaps with some events Lexus is simply trying to raise awareness for the car, not to directly find interested buyers at a luncheon.

The current information is that Lexus will choose buyers who drive the car, rather than keep it in a garage. They will choose buyers who showcase the brand and who will have the car out in public a lot. Many of these buyers will likely be "car guys".

Perhaps (as already mentioned by other users), many of the people interested in buying an LFA have never owned an exotic before.

The best thing to do in your case would be to contact Lexus directly or experience the car for yourself at a track event. Since you seemingly refuse to do that, then this becomes a circular argument. You will not find the answers you are looking for on this forum or on car blogs. I will bet anything that a lot of LFA buyers are going to be very discrete, and will not be the type to post on forums or blogs bragging about their car.
Such hostility.

A) If you read above, they consider Seattle a secondary market.
B) I don't know if I'm interested in the car that much because I've not heard from any opinion leaders I trust.
C) My curiosity began because of this Huffington Post article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_427187.html Lexus made that they were "choosing" buyers.
Forget the legal ramifications, without some specific uniform criteria as used by other brands.
D) EVERY manufacturer has tried stereotypical marketing before and in this category of exotics has failed every time. Lexus is just the latest in a long line.
E) When I'm in Orange County and if my schedule matches an event I'll go.
F) I keep saying over and over again, there is NO CHATTER in the exotic circles I travel in, yet there is some chatter for just about every other car out there including the build-to-order SSC Ultimate Aero.
G) I came here to look for opinion leaders but instead the very notion that I raise the question about the validity of their claims sends some of you into a tizzy and no actual buyer has yet to surface. If I write about my background and explain in detail my point of view, then I'm somehow showboating or bragging about my life.
H) I find the marketing approach humorous because I've been at these when I've been pitched for everything imaginable. I've had chauffeurs show up at my door with invitations on silver platters, I kid you not as if that makes be jump in the back seat and rush off to buy or invest in whatever they are pitching. I find it humorous because most of the exotic owners I know are a motley bunch who are risk takers who love to drive fast, and act like kids.
I) I'm happy to leave the topic alone. I'm now convinced LFA buyers are not on this forum.
Old 02-01-10, 06:21 PM
LexFather

Everyone, Tommy has been nice here and in PM. I know we just had the "FisforFaast" fraud going on but Tommy is not anything like him. He actually has the stuff So please give him the benefit of the doubt and he is just seeking to understand here on Clublexus.

I told a friend the other day that thought he was "bragging" to me that it is not bragging when it is simply the truth.

I'm no math guy but...

500 made
150-160 for the USA
80 for Cali, the rest for other markets.

We have one acknowledged buyer here for the USA, the other in Japan. I think that is actually PRETTY AMAZING considering the numbers.

This is an entirely new segment for Lexus. I don't expect at all a bunch of guys signing up and saying "I'm buying a LFA". We also have a really laid back atmosphere here so I don't expect many members possibly in the line for a LFA to say "Hey I am buying one".

I also want to so in this current economic climate, "flash is out". It just isn't in vogue. From big labels to bright colors, everything is subdued now. So again, I don't expect a bunch of people on here to say "Hey I am getting a LFA".

Lexus told me they have more than enough demand but until people sign a check, they don't really know who is 100% committed.

So not sure even if you found 5 people "saying" they are getting a LFA, until it is in the garage, it is tough to see who exactly is getting one (we know of the Lexus choosing owners criteria).

Tommy I just would not expect the same environment here on Clublexus compared to an exotic forum. I'm on a couple, I browse a couple, it is completely different demographic and experience. Lexus is a luxury brand selling 30k-now 375k cars. Lexus is also not really an enthusiast brand (one of the reasons the LFA is here, to change perception) so a lot of people don't even care to find a forum like here.

I've been here 10 years, I remember when I used to know most names in the beginning. Today with the expanded lineup and with Lexus being #1 in sales for ten years, it is impossible to know everyone here. In comparison an exotic forum will be more "community" like as it will be much smaller.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-01-10, 07:01 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Hi Tommy,

I am having fun with your points.

I believe you have the same gene I have that makes me hate to be confused about stuff and then go figure it out.

Here are a few replies to your recent comments.

A) If you read above, they consider Seattle a secondary market.

80 20 rule. I am originally from Boston, another second tier market with a tome of loaded folks and there are plenty of exotics East of Route 128.

B) I don't know if I'm interested in the car that much because I've not heard from any opinion leaders I trust.

I bet you form your own opinions on things.

C) My curiosity began because of this Huffington Post article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_427187.html Lexus made that they were "choosing" buyers.
Forget the legal ramifications, without some specific uniform criteria as used by other brands.

The guy on the video was another attitude media type. No real insight.

D) EVERY manufacturer has tried stereotypical marketing before and in this category of exotics has failed every time. Lexus is just the latest in a long line.

I thought Tesla started out ok but their car is just an uncomfortable Lotus with a cool drivetrain and aint going anywhere.

E) When I'm in Orange County and if my schedule matches an event I'll go.
F) I keep saying over and over again, there is NO CHATTER in the exotic circles I travel in, yet there is some chatter for just about every other car out there including the build-to-order SSC Ultimate Aero.

Some chatter in FChat.

G) I came here to look for opinion leaders but instead the very notion that I raise the question about the validity of their claims sends some of you into a tizzy and no actual buyer has yet to surface. If I write about my background and explain in detail my point of view, then I'm somehow showboating or bragging about my life.
H) I find the marketing approach humorous because I've been at these when I've been pitched for everything imaginable. I've had chauffeurs show up at my door with invitations on silver platters, I kid you not as if that makes be jump in the back seat and rush off to buy or invest in whatever they are pitching. I find it humorous because most of the exotic owners I know are a motley bunch who are risk takers who love to drive fast, and act like kids.

The Lexus folks told us in Miami that this is new territory for them and they are trying to reach interested potential buyers. The sessions Monday and Tuesday were impressive to me.

I) I'm happy to leave the topic alone. I'm now convinced LFA buyers are not on this forum.

We all agree on that. Like I said, one gentleman at my event was not familiar with the ISF so not the tech internet type. All three other gentlemen at my session had the gold Rolex thing going on. I am a gold Rado type.

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW: Shotgun in the LFA++++++ with Scott Pruett (and IS-F/F-sport/event)