LFA Model (2012)

On the Road With the 2011 Lexus LFA

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 10:45 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by joe80
Again, i don't care how technologically advanced LFA is it sure doesn't look like it can compete with Lambo and Ferrari's of the world. and yes, i've read all about it with my mind saying "WTF? $375k? WTF? $375k? WTF? $375k? WTF? $375k? WTF? $375k? WTF? $375k? WTF? $375k? WTF? $375k? WTF? $375k? WTF? $375k? WTF? $375k? WTF? $375k?"

It's a better more exotic version of GTR to me. would've been a great $150k car.
Joe80 please exit the thread. If you don't care, don't care to even READ the article posted then please don't crap in another LFA thread. It is clear in this last response.

No member reply to Joe80's replies they will be deleted.

Old 02-17-10, 10:53 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evo
You certainly wouldn't hear yourself say such a thing in the LFA at high speed, because this car makes some noise. LFA chief engineer Haruhiko Tanahashi is pretty obsessed with the car's musical attributes, and he's made it a very vocal sports car. Induction and exhaust noises are ducted into the cabin and the result is an ever-changing melee of mechanical sounds. At first you grin at the idea of a Lexus with such an obstreperous personality, but after three hours these sounds become an irritating drone, at least if you're cruising down the M1 to London. You can only alleviate the annoyance with a punch of throttle, which is no great hardship.
Interesting, it does make me think of some reviews of the IS-F a bit, where they talk about some of its fun performance/aural characteristics being a little bit too much for long drives. I'm wondering about the interplay between the mechanical sounds and traditional Lexus quiet.

Originally Posted by Evo
Three and a Half Hours Gone
We've got about 30 minutes in north London traffic to go, and we're following the directions from the navigation system while soaking up tunes from the Mark Levinson hi-fi. What a strange, fascinating car this is.
Now that is the Lexus luxury aspect talking! Bringing the symphony to the supercar.

Originally Posted by Evo
We've deliberately avoided any talk of the 2011 Lexus LFA's list price of $375,000 until now, because having spent the day (well, four hours) in this car, the price doesn't strike us as especially relevant. That'll sound absurd to many of you, but this car isn't a normal retail proposition, not even in the abnormal reality of Planet Supercar. Just 500 will be made, some 150 of which will go to the United States and only 70 of which are destined for Europe (18 of them to the U.K.). Perhaps the biggest compliment we can pay this Lexus is to say that it doesn't feel like a bad value.

There are faster supercars and more dramatic-looking supercars than the 2011 Lexus LFA, and all of them have a more appealing badge than this one. But we're nevertheless ever-so-slightly smitten by the LFA. The execution is very good — especially that monster V10 — and the details are stunning. Chances are, most people will never see one, and you shouldn't underestimate the power of this.

Most of all, we adore the incongruous mix of refined Lexus values and harsh supercar tech. It's like Marmite and strawberries, only it works. They were a good four hours.
The conclusion makes some interesting points!
Old 02-17-10, 10:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by encore888
Interesting, it does make me think of some reviews of the IS-F a bit, where they talk about some of its fun performance/aural characteristics being a little bit too much for long drives. I'm wondering about the interplay between the mechanical sounds and traditional Lexus quiet.

Now that is the Lexus luxury aspect talking! Bringing the symphony to the supercar.

The conclusion makes some interesting points!
Fantastic fair review isn't it. Its great to see a reviewer who isn't caught up in badge or price. I've long told this forum EVO is a great mag and will continue to do so. Yes it costs a lot more but it is WORTH it.

Old 02-17-10, 11:03 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Fantastic fair review isn't it. Its great to see a reviewer who isn't caught up in badge or price. I've long told this forum EVO is a great mag and will continue to do so. Yes it costs a lot more but it is WORTH it.
Definitely; the reviewer really gave it a fair shake for what the LFA is, not what others want it to be. I especially liked how this review offered up details that a number of others didn't cover. Some of the other LFA reviews seem like boilerplate in comparison; passable for those who don't know anything about the car, but for those who are hungry for more impressions, wanting. Of course now I WANT a ride in the car more than ever. The most I've ever gotten to the Lexus F-line is taking the helm at the driving events for the IS-F, and also experiencing the pro-driven hot lap. The LFA sounds like a rocketship.
Old 02-17-10, 11:14 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

can a mod delete the thread I made on this article in the LFA forum? Thanks

as for the price, it doesnt bother me. If it was 150K, I cant afford it. If it was 200K, I cant afford it. So it makes no difference to me whether its 250K or 350K
Old 02-17-10, 12:07 PM
kdd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, though I'm a fan of Toyotas/Lexus (my family owned/owns a bunch of toyotas over the years, my brother has an RX), I have to agree with Joe80 on the looks of the LFA. The interior is stunning, the materials used and the engineering is fantastic. But at an exotic car price, I would want a car that looks exotic.

Perhaps the design details are stunning but the overall exterior design profile is underwhelming. For me, it has the same exterior profile as the 7th gen(2000-2005) celica. The 7th gen celica is actually one of my favorite celica exterior designs (along with the 1984 3rd gen. model I drove in college) but if I'm gonna shell out nearly $400k, I don't want my supercar reminding me of a celica.

Last edited by kdd; 02-17-10 at 12:10 PM. Reason: whoops mispelled celica in the last sentence
Old 02-17-10, 12:22 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Looks are completely relative. Many people criticize the 911 Turbo saying it doesn't "look like" a 132K sports car, and that it's design has remained almost the same for over 30 years. So that does mean the 911 Turbo is "not worth" the price? Of course not.

I want to hear some HONEST opinions, does the following car "look like" it costs 440K US?

Some people will say yes, others will say no.

To some people, a Bugatti Veyron doesn't "look like" it costs over 1 million US.

I guess because this is Porsche and Bugatti we're talking about though, we're not allowed the criticize them, according to many internet enthusiasts .

Does this "look like" an exotic or a supercar? A lot of people would say no, but this cost 225K USD back in the 1980s, and Porsche had no problem selling these.

The car was released in 1987. 225K USD in 1987 would be roughly $424,000 USD today.

Also before this car, Porsche had NO experience making a supercar, yet that didn't stop people from buying it.

Last edited by encore888; 02-17-10 at 12:32 PM. Reason: merged
Old 02-17-10, 12:26 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Default Back on topic please...

This is a request for all to take note of the OP, which discusses a review in Evo, excerpts of which were published by IL. For general discussion of the LFA, there is the sticky thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...vid-up-77.html, or you can start your own thread.

Please let's try to keep on the subject of the review, which is the driving experience of the LFA on regular UK roads.

On the Road With the 2011 Lexus LFA
Not What You've Been Expecting
By Chris Harris, Contributor | Published Feb 17, 2010

It's mid-January and Britain is going through one of those winter thaws where the whole island seems covered in grime. The 2011 Lexus LFA has just emerged from the workshop where technicians have spent the past hour pretending to do things to its giblets and crazy multiform surfaces. And now, whiter than the Stig's iPod, the LFA sits bang outside the showroom doors. You wonder if its angelic cleanliness is the result of some new scum-repelling lacquer developed purely for the Lexus supercar.

We have four hours with this car. That would be four hours in a $375,000, 552-horsepower car developed almost exclusively at the Nürburgring. Four hours in a car that is claimed to reach 100 km/h (62 mph) from a standstill in 3.7 seconds and that will apparently touch 202 mph. Four hours in a car that is intended to sprinkle magic dust on the Lexus brand.

But unlike anyone else in the world, we're going to spend four hours in the 2011 Lexus LFA on the roads of the real world, not just a racetrack. Our mission is to deliver one of the world's most expensive production cars to a Lexus showroom in the exclusive London district of Mayfair, so we have four hours to wend as epic a path through rural Bedfordshire as is possible.

The Starting Ritual

We set a course for some cracking technical roads not far from the Lexus technical center in Milton Keynes. Some young hoon in a drift-homage Nissan 240SX nearly swallows his tongue when he spies the Lexus, pointing and jabbering as flecks of spittle shower the inside of the Nissan's side window.

We were impressed ourselves as soon as we experienced the theatrical moment of rousing the 2011 Lexus LFA from its sleep. You enter the cabin by pushing down on a recessed flap on the door, and after the latch surrenders with a recognizable Lexus-style ker-thonk, the featherweight door glides toward you. Tumble down into the cozy chair, use the typically silent Lexus electric motors to perfect the seating position and then manually adjust the steering wheel. Before you plunge the key into the ignition barrel, admire its solid billet of titanium shrouded in carbon-fiber.

One turn of the key seems to ignite the instrument binnacle, as the Thin Film Transfer (TFT) display lights up. The tachometer pulses with dramatic reds and whites, and the redline is all the way up at 9,000 rpm. With your right thumb, you push the ignition button on the steering wheel and the starter motor spins with that distinctive high-pitched shriek that tells you there are lots of pistons on the move. Then all 10 cylinders catch with a demure brrrraaaap from the triple exhausts, and finally the 4,805cc V10 settles into a composed, judder-free idle.

We'll tell you, this thing feels indescribably special at idle. We just didn't expect the exquisite amalgam of tailor-made supercar detail and mass-produced Lexus quality and refinement.

We're Rolling

In order to save weight, the 2011 Lexus LFA disdains the usual dual-clutch automated manual for a racing-style single-clutch automated manual. First gear selects seamlessly, but then the transmission shudders through the 1st-to-2nd change.

The rear tires swiftly spool up and transform a delicate drift into a ditch-tempter of a slide.
The throttle response borders on the immediate, which takes some getting used to, and the Lexus technician riding in the passenger seat must think us an incompetent fool as the car stammers the first few yards. The only engine as free-revving and responsive as this that we've ever experienced has been the Porsche Carrera GT's 612-hp 5.7-liter V10. The resemblance is uncanny, from the heavy, lash-free action of the throttle pedal to the rabid way the engine accumulates revs. Even the noise is there — higher-pitched than the V10s from Audi, BMW and Lamborghini, more shriek than warble.

The LFA's ride is busy but not jarring, and the refinement is pretty good given that the subframes that locate the suspension are hung from a stiff carbon-fiber tub that is bound to transmit vibration. These wide, specially made Bridgestone tires — 265/35ZR20s in front, 305/30ZR20s in the rear — grumble on anything less than virgin asphalt, plus there's some suspension noise as well, but overall the 2011 Lexus LFA feels about as relaxed on the pavement as a Ferrari 599 GTB, which makes it entirely happy as we trundle away.

This isn't a car in which the mere flex of a right toe has you surging past lesser traffic. The pedal works in a great arcing motion and this offers the driver more control over the energy released to the rear differential. So you squeeze the throttle a little farther each time on this damp surface, feel the tires claw at the tarmac and then push deeper into the footwell, hoping to trigger the traction control and, at the very least, understand where the electronics think the limit exists under such conditions.

One Hour Gone

As we drive through some corners, we try to take the measure of a chassis with a weight distribution of 48 percent front/52 percent rear that has been developed diligently in endless laps at the Nürburgring Nordschleife (and even several races in the Nürburgring 24 Hours). And of course we're doing so in a damp, gravel-covered, 2nd-gear bend in Bedfordshire. It's the usual squalid road test of an exquisite automobile, like choosing Yate's Wine Bar for your girl to model a Dolce & Gabbana cocktail dress. Ah, well, a supercar by Lexus has to work everywhere, right?

Matters quickly turn lively when you disable the stability control. When you turn the steering wheel, the car responds. The steering ratio is fast but just the right side of frantically fast, so you don't have to nibble away at the steering wheel to find an apex. But the transition from steering to throttle as you accelerate out of the corner needs to be finely judged. Push a little too hard and the rear tires swiftly spool up and transform a delicate drift into a ditch-tempter of a slide.

Gradually you get a better feeling for the delicacy of the controls and acclimate to the subtle messages that stream through the chassis. The car's 102.6-inch wheelbase actually feels short and brings with it all the expected benefits in terms of agility, so even though the 2011 Lexus LFA is very wide, it doesn't feel too big for everyday use. The steering never really comes alive at these speeds, though.

Two Hours Gone

Not since Mr. Gordon Murray went native with his design of the McLaren F1's interior detailing (well, he was a racing car designer, after all) has there been a more interesting cabin in a road car than this one. It is a mesmerizing collage of designs and materials that still displays fanatical attention to detail.

The titanium shift paddles offer slightly different levels of effort (the upshift is marginally lighter) and the indicator stalks are little slithers of metal that operate with the type of precision that has you tweaking them purely for recreation. The center console rises up high to your right, with the screen for the navigation system buried within it, and the joystick interface control is placed perfectly by your right hand. Flawlessly made carbon-fiber trim pushes up against exotic metals, while the hand-stitched leather is supple and expensive. As a place to enjoy, be comfortable and operate a machine, this might be our favorite supercar cabin of them all. Never thought we'd hear ourselves say that.

You certainly wouldn't hear yourself say such a thing in the LFA at high speed, because this car makes some noise. LFA chief engineer Haruhiko Tanahashi is pretty obsessed with the car's musical attributes, and he's made it a very vocal sports car. Induction and exhaust noises are ducted into the cabin and the result is an ever-changing melee of mechanical sounds. At first you grin at the idea of a Lexus with such an obstreperous personality, but after three hours these sounds become an irritating drone, at least if you're cruising down the M1 to London. You can only alleviate the annoyance with a punch of throttle, which is no great hardship.

When you do this, the LFA gets moving. Some 552 hp might not sound like much these days, but this car weighs just 3,263 pounds. The combination translates into some ferocious performance once the V10 is fully lit, which is at anything above 3,000 rpm. Once the tachometer reaches 4,000 rpm, the engine is pulling very hard. When you get to 7,500 rpm, the noise from the engine, road and wind is intimidating and you think it's time for another gear but there's still 2,000 rpm to go before the fuel cutout cries foul. The last 2,000 rpm is completely explosive, and as the tachometer needle bears down on the 9,000 rpm redline, the LFA's V10 is at once dignified and deranged.

Three and a Half Hours Gone

We've got about 30 minutes in north London traffic to go, and we're following the directions from the navigation system while soaking up tunes from the Mark Levinson hi-fi. What a strange, fascinating car this is.

We've deliberately avoided any talk of the 2011 Lexus LFA's list price of $375,000 until now, because having spent the day (well, four hours) in this car, the price doesn't strike us as especially relevant. That'll sound absurd to many of you, but this car isn't a normal retail proposition, not even in the abnormal reality of Planet Supercar. Just 500 will be made, some 150 of which will go to the United States and only 70 of which are destined for Europe (18 of them to the U.K.). Perhaps the biggest compliment we can pay this Lexus is to say that it doesn't feel like a bad value.

There are faster supercars and more dramatic-looking supercars than the 2011 Lexus LFA, and all of them have a more appealing badge than this one. But we're nevertheless ever-so-slightly smitten by the LFA. The execution is very good — especially that monster V10 — and the details are stunning. Chances are, most people will never see one, and you shouldn't underestimate the power of this.

Most of all, we adore the incongruous mix of refined Lexus values and harsh supercar tech. It's like Marmite and strawberries, only it works. They were a good four hours.
Does anyone have further thoughts on this review in particular?
Old 02-17-10, 12:31 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by encore888
This is a request for all to take note of the OP, which discusses a review in Evo, excerpts of which were published by IL. For general discussion of the LFA, there is the sticky thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...vid-up-77.html, or you can start your own thread.

Please let's try to keep on the subject of the review, which is the driving experience of the LFA on regular UK roads.

Does anyone have further thoughts on this review in particular?
It was a great review, and it's a pretty cool video as well on the EVO UK website.

I can't wait to see the really thorough reviews, and for more information to come out about the car. We should get that by the end of the year and beginning of next year.

By that time, I expect some more real-world performance numbers to come out that internet enthusiasts are craving .
Old 02-17-10, 12:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The 959 was way ahead of its competitors in terms of technology and performance. The LFA is even with its competition ( faster in some areas and slower in others). I still think the 959 was more worth the exorbitant price imo.

I think the article on the LFA was well written
Old 02-17-10, 01:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The 959 was way ahead of its competitors in terms of technology and performance. The LFA is even with its competition ( faster in some areas and slower in others). I still think the 959 was more worth the exorbitant price imo.

I think the article on the LFA was well written

Do you know the price of the 959? It was $225,000 back in 1986, so today it would be over $400,000.

There is no doubting the 959s impact and performance AT THE TIME. This is not the 1980s. What car today really eclipses the others outside of the McLaren F1 and the Bugatti? None, they all are great and personal preference has people pick one over the other (or all). The LFA wasn't going to break any new records, the purpose was a pure experience. The 959 for example was AWD and 911 based.

Why must people just throw out every single car ever made against the LFA? Just in this thread.
GT3
911 turbo
Gallardo
Zonda
Noble
Ford GT

When the ARTICLE, this THREAD is based on compares it to;

Porsche CGT
Ferrari 599

Then on top of that the 959 WAS NOT SOLD IN AMERICA officially.

The car has the FASTEST WET LAP in TOP GEAR HISTORY. Faster than the AWD Gallardo for instance. (not direct competition but has a V-10)

The car has one of the fastest unofficial Nurburgring times.

It hasn't been tested head on versus the competition.

So how do you conclude its even?

Old 02-17-10, 01:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

Does this "look like" an exotic or a supercar? A lot of people would say no, but this cost 225K USD back in the 1980s, and Porsche had no problem selling these.

The car was released in 1987. 225K USD in 1987 would be roughly $424,000 USD today.

Also before this car, Porsche had NO experience making a supercar, yet that didn't stop people from buying it.
Thank you!! The 959 was totally, COMPLETELY unexpected. So unexpected Ferrari developed the F40 in ONLY 2 years!

It is totally understandable to say it will be a tough sell b/c it is a Lexus. That is a valid point. It is a good point to say the car is priced high. Understandable.

However in this VERY article (where seemingly no one read) EVO says they see VALUE in the LFA.

Old 02-17-10, 01:22 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

This Edmunds/EVO review does not discuss the LFA performance in detail either. Fact is we don't really know what the LFA's real-world performance is, and won't know for months. All we have are paper specs, and it has been proven again and again that paper specs aren't everything.

So far we have only a hint of the LFA's real-world performance, where it achieved the fastest wet lap time on the Top Gear track by quite a margin. This is considering the fact that the next-fastest wet lap from the Gallardo had the advantage of AWD, which is a big advantage in wet conditions.

The few LFA preview drives/reviews such as the one posted in this thread only make vague comparisons to other supercars, not direct performance comparisons.

The EVO review rightfully makes no big fuss about the price, since price in the exotic/supercar segment is not a very high priority compared to other factors like exclusivity or uniqueness.
Old 02-17-10, 01:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Do you know the price of the 959? It was $225,000 back in 1986, so today it would be over $400,000.

There is no doubting the 959s impact and performance AT THE TIME. This is not the 1980s. What car today really eclipses the others outside of the McLaren F1 and the Bugatti? None, they all are great and personal preference has people pick one over the other (or all). The LFA wasn't going to break any new records, the purpose was a pure experience. The 959 for example was AWD and 911 based.

Why must people just throw out every single car ever made against the LFA? Just in this thread.
GT3
911 turbo
Gallardo
Zonda
Noble
Ford GT

When the ARTICLE, this THREAD is based on compares it to;

Porsche CGT
Ferrari 599

Then on top of that the 959 WAS NOT SOLD IN AMERICA officially.

The car has the FASTEST WET LAP in TOP GEAR HISTORY. Faster than the AWD Gallardo for instance. (not direct competition but has a V-10)

The car has one of the fastest unofficial Nurburgring times.

It hasn't been tested head on versus the competition.

So how do you conclude its even?

Its even based on top speed, 0-60, 1/4 mile times, braking, etc. The pedigree stuff its all in the same neighborhood as the other "exotics" most likely
Old 02-17-10, 01:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Its even based on top speed, 0-60, 1/4 mile times, braking, etc. The pedigree stuff its all in the same neighborhood as the other "exotics" most likely
You are pretty adamant its even with other exotics. So please post and compare the LFA times with other exotics as you seem to know these facts that no one else does;
0-60
1/4
braking
etc

times with other exotics. So please post for us how the LFA compares with others in all those categories. Slalom, Skidpad I assume is (etc)....(though that might be difficult considering we don't have times for the LFA outside of what Lexus has told us but lets ignore that)

What we DO know;

The LFA has an unofficial Nurburgring time of 7:24...

The LFA has the fastest wet lap in Top Gear history. IN case you didn't hear about it.

http://www.forumeter.com/video/20894...A-top-gear-lap

If you READ what the chief engineer said the car was made to be PURE, FUN and lively without fear of wrecking your car (thus having a midship Front Engine). The sole purpose was not to be the fastest. NOTHING is going to be faster than the Bugatti.

I don't think anyone on here expects the car to be a 0-60 rocket. However the fastest wet time is an amazing accomplishment.

Quick Reply: On the Road With the 2011 Lexus LFA