LFA Model (2012)

On the Road With the 2011 Lexus LFA

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-10, 03:16 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
So you want numbers on a piece of paper for the price of the LFA? Why would you even be a potential buyer then? Are you even seeking a driving experience or just trying to prove you have an expensive car?
Many people on this forum & elsewhere are curious as to the rationale behind selecting an LF-A over Ferrari, Lambo, etc. Five hundred examples are/will be built & most if all are sold according to posts on here. Not even 1 out of the 500 or so buyers posted on clublexus, lexus ownersclub, Toyota nation with regards to their choice of the LF-A over the others. There are some like TommyJames & others who want to hear from potential owners instead of Lexus fans.. Is this hype or what? Where are the buyers??

As far as the review it is a nice one. I want to see comparos with the competition now instead of solo gigs.

Now don't huff & puff & delete this.

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 02-18-10 at 03:22 AM.
Old 02-18-10, 04:47 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Many of the 500 units sold are probably dealer owners and family.
Also wealthy people who want to be the first one on the block with one.

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-18-10 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-18-10, 07:54 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
So you want numbers on a piece of paper for the price of the LFA? Why would you even be a potential buyer then? Are you even seeking a driving experience or just trying to prove you have an expensive car?
Actually I was wrong..I don't mind the LF-A going a bit slower at 3.7 second if the feel of the car and the way it gets there is thrilling and sounds cool
Old 02-18-10, 08:04 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The LFS isn't a torque monster and it lacks AWD to post 0-60 times that bend laws of physics. Its a high revving track car, and it will beat a lot of cars around the track that beat it 0-60. Much like M3 would hand C63 its *** around the ring, if you understand what I mean.
Old 02-18-10, 08:22 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Many people on this forum & elsewhere are curious as to the rationale behind selecting an LF-A over Ferrari, Lambo, etc. Five hundred examples are/will be built & most if all are sold according to posts on here. Not even 1 out of the 500 or so buyers posted on clublexus, lexus ownersclub, Toyota nation with regards to their choice of the LF-A over the others. There are some like TommyJames & others who want to hear from potential owners instead of Lexus fans.. Is this hype or what? Where are the buyers??

As far as the review it is a nice one. I want to see comparos with the competition now instead of solo gigs.

Now don't huff & puff & delete this.
Are serious buyers of the LFA required to post on internet forums just to prove themselves? Why do some users here on CL feel that they are entitled to see potential LFA buyers post here? Why do some people here on CL feel entitled to knowing some LFA buyers through friends or connections?

What if most potential LFA buyers are new to Lexus? What if most serious LFA buyers choose to not post on the internet?

Also you are making up completely false statements that are borderline-trolling and flame-baiting. Not one potential LFA buyer has posted on CL? That is flat out WRONG, and if you actually read the forums and some of the LFA threads, you would know that.

Why does someone choose any supercar over another supercar? It's simple, it's called having an opinion, which is subjective. Different people prefer different things.
Old 02-18-10, 08:24 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
I've just read the lap time of 7 min 24 sec for the LF-A at Nurburgring Nordschleife track you posted. Holly dear... that's ridiculously fast. That's about 5 WHOPPING SECONDS faster than the Nissan GTR.

Are people reading this???
Nissan fanbois are reading it.

They're in denial...
Old 02-18-10, 03:44 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I wouldn't even be comparing the LFA and GTR together.

GTR:
- great performance car (with history)
- great performance car for a great value
-it is a value buy!

No hard feelings to GTR owners but you have a Nissan GTR, its a great car, nobody says much negative about it but face the facts, it is not exotic, it is an assembly line car, it is not rare in any way, it is made for the masses, I see about two per week here.

LFA
-great performance car (no history)
-cost a lot of money
-10 years of r&d
-exotic design and materials
-extreme engineering
-hand built/limited production

LFA and GTR were made for different markets, plain and simple.

Even when you look at the 2010 GTR Vspec that comes at most than double the price of a GTR, how do buyers justify the price? well, they're looking for something other than a typical GTR and they're willing to pay the price.
Old 02-18-10, 03:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

That don't mean $h#t. Some people look at 0-60 and quarter miles only, while others (the real car enthusiasts, or the pros, or the racer drivers like Michael Schumacher or Mario Andretti) look at more than just that. They look at other things like how the car handles in the turns, for example how the car approaches and exits out of the corner, and how well it does in hairpins and s-turns. Accelerating while turning is another important thing. Also things like throttle responsiveness and overall balance. I bet you my money that Porsche 959 is crap in these area.

0-60 time talk is for the kids like 12~ 15 years old. We need to go beyond that since we are the adults. Think broad wide open.

with all do respect I have more track experience than 99% of CL members and I dont see the need to mince words or assume that I am unaware of handling characteristics like corner entry, mid corner, and corner exit balance and grip. All I stated was that Lexus designed the LFA to run with giants not to be a giant killer. I have read many many books on track driving , had courses on race driving, I am a NASA member and a SCCA member, and used to do track days 1-2 times a month for a while. I know I have more knowledge in this field than most so I dont need the lecture.

I am so tired of the LFA and the attacks it insights and the emotions it stirs. Still will never change my opinion
Old 02-18-10, 04:09 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys keep the personal comments out of it.
Old 02-18-10, 07:14 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Dashocker,

To your point about why an LFA over xyz other exotics.

I need something reliable that my wife won't veto.

Due to ethnic background, the MB, VW and BMW stuff is out.

I like Ferrari but my wife hates the brand perception thing.

I have been waiting for the LFA for years (since Honda let me down with no NSX replacement). The GTR is for real but it has no deluxatude.

This week I am expecting to hear the final word on allocation. I had a blast at the Homestead event in and around the LFA.

Let's try another tack on value. Some folks buy a 2400 sf home for $175K and some for $1750K. Aspects like location, features, construction, design, exclusivity come into play.

If folks are open to aspects beyond 0 to 60 in the evaluation, the LFA price will be more realistic.

Last edited by S2000toIS350; 02-18-10 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-19-10, 12:05 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

As some of you know, I've been following the discussion about the LFA for weeks now. I've been following it on multiple forms looking for that one QUALIFIED person to step forward and PM me that they are a true actual buyer of an LFA and so far nobody has come forward. I've heard every excuse in the world why I've not heard from anyone and I've read countless posts about stereotypical exotic owners, and most of these projections about the habits of exotic owners are completely wrong.

People spending $375k on an exotic have a habit of talking about it with other people with similar interests. It's rare that someone buys an exotic without discussing it with someone. It does happen, but not all that often. Most exotic owners talk to other exotic owners about their thinking behind any brand of interest, not just the LFA. In the case of the LFA, I can find lots and lots of arguments about price/value and the latest obligatory review, but when it comes down to who here is stepping up and actually buying one, it goes quiet. Even when I've invited those who claim to be buyers to call me, they don't want to have the conversation which is unusual. I talk to other SV prospective owners all the time. I even get calls from prospective Phantom owners and I never hesitate to take the call. Yet for some odd reason, there is none of that with the LFA. I've said over and over, in the car circles in which I travel, there is absolutely no buzz about the LFA anywhere. There may be a million reasons why, but the bottom line is there isn't any. I've asked a simple question on other forums, "Who here is buying an LFA?" and so far nothing. Flame me if you want, it's the truth and I'm telling you what I know straight up with no axe to grind with the brand. Among the exotic car buying community where I am very active, there is no buzz on the LFA. None, zip, nada.
Old 02-19-10, 12:55 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TommyJames
As some of you know, I've been following the discussion about the LFA for weeks now. I've been following it on multiple forms looking for that one QUALIFIED person to step forward and PM me that they are a true actual buyer of an LFA and so far nobody has come forward. I've heard every excuse in the world why I've not heard from anyone and I've read countless posts about stereotypical exotic owners, and most of these projections about the habits of exotic owners are completely wrong.

People spending $375k on an exotic have a habit of talking about it with other people with similar interests. It's rare that someone buys an exotic without discussing it with someone. It does happen, but not all that often. Most exotic owners talk to other exotic owners about their thinking behind any brand of interest, not just the LFA. In the case of the LFA, I can find lots and lots of arguments about price/value and the latest obligatory review, but when it comes down to who here is stepping up and actually buying one, it goes quiet. Even when I've invited those who claim to be buyers to call me, they don't want to have the conversation which is unusual. I talk to other SV prospective owners all the time. I even get calls from prospective Phantom owners and I never hesitate to take the call. Yet for some odd reason, there is none of that with the LFA. I've said over and over, in the car circles in which I travel, there is absolutely no buzz about the LFA anywhere. There may be a million reasons why, but the bottom line is there isn't any. I've asked a simple question on other forums, "Who here is buying an LFA?" and so far nothing. Flame me if you want, it's the truth and I'm telling you what I know straight up with no axe to grind with the brand. Among the exotic car buying community where I am very active, there is no buzz on the LFA. None, zip, nada.
You're just baiting people for an argument and borderline-trolling here.

There are a few people on CL serious about buying an LFA. I'm not sure what your definition of "qualified" means, but it is impossible right now for anyone to be buying the LFA at this EXACT point in time. The owner interest process still remains open at Lexus, but will soon be closed. Final buyers have not been completely locked in or chosen yet by Lexus, but they will be soon.

Lexus is not expected to discuss build/color options with buyers until Spring/early Summer.

LFA production does not start until December 2010.

You hold a very strong sense of entitlement that somehow any serious LFA buyers must call or contact you, and if they don't then you don't believe them or deem them to be true buyers.

The exotic/supercar market does not revolve around you and your circle of friends. I know exotic owners who have bought their cars based on factors and criteria that differ from yours. I know this to be true, and I have nothing to prove to anyone who doubts this.

Yes you have said it over and over that there is no LFA buzz among your group of friends, so why do you continue to say it? We get it, there is no buzz among you and your friends.

You continue to post the exact same thing over and over in different threads, having shown no proof or effort in you yourself trying to contact some of the CL members who have serious interest in buying an LFA.

IMHO, what you are doing is nothing but flame-baiting and trolling at this point.
Old 02-19-10, 05:57 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

I have PM'd just one person who said their interest level is high and he didn't want to talk on the phone. I wanted to discuss his interest in the car. I don't know how you define troll. Seem like your definition is anyone who has what you consider to be a negative observation when it's merely an observation, another data point.

I say, "qualified" because every dealer of exotics has to wade through lots and lots of pretend buyers. "Qualified" is in loose terms, and generally means someone real. As an example, someone who'd buy an LFA would likely (yea, not alway) but likely have some other dot to connect somewhere in the car community.

I've just read six pages of arguments by different people about specifications yet the one person who claims to be buying one, doesn't want to chat on the phone. What, he thinks I'm going to talk him out of it or something? That I'm going to blow his deal? Hardly! I've never had a buyer of any exotic not want to talk about it before so that's something entirely new.

You seem to know something about my circle of friends, so please explain. Seems like you're making an assumption about me without knowing a clue about me or my knowledge base. Is it because my post count on this forum is too low for you? Is it because you don't like my observation so you have to somehow disqualify it?

My point is that you can have six pages of arguments about specifications, but if the buyers aren't there it's pointless. I'm not convinced the buyers are there, for whatever reason.

The LFA is currently on about the same order/build cycle as other cars where there is a history of substantial buzz prior to build, such as the 458, LP640, Reventon, F430, CGT, and on and on, as there was with the SV of which there are just over 40 that will EVER come to the US and about nine are still unsold. Yet, somehow you magically think there will be 150 LFAs sold in the US with no buzz???

I think it's terrific that there are fans of the LFA. I'd like to see it do well as there is room for lots of exotics, but I'm not an emperor's new clothes kind of guy, sorry.

Rather than speculate on why there is so little buzz, way easier to attack the messenger as irrelevant when you have no clue who I am or for that matter know anything about my background.

I'd be happy with a phone chat from a real buyer and I'll post here if I find one.

Guys, I come on the forums looking for the discussion, positive and negative about various cars. It's another way that I figure out what I want next. I came here because if you look at the posts on other exotic car forums, it's almost all negative and that's not helpful either. At the end of the day, who carries the most weight are those who are stepping up saying, "Yup, I'm buying one because..."
Old 02-19-10, 08:23 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TommyJames
Guys, I come on the forums looking for the discussion, positive and negative about various cars. It's another way that I figure out what I want next. I came here because if you look at the posts on other exotic car forums, it's almost all negative and that's not helpful either. At the end of the day, who carries the most weight are those who are stepping up saying, "Yup, I'm buying one because..."
Are you looking for someone to convince you to buy one or something? I don't see why you need to feel offended if someone who is a prospective buy doesn't want to talk to you, frankly, it's not really any of your business.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
You're just baiting people for an argument and borderline-trolling here.

There are a few people on CL serious about buying an LFA. I'm not sure what your definition of "qualified" means, but it is impossible right now for anyone to be buying the LFA at this EXACT point in time. The owner interest process still remains open at Lexus, but will soon be closed. Final buyers have not been completely locked in or chosen yet by Lexus, but they will be soon.

Lexus is not expected to discuss build/color options with buyers until Spring/early Summer.

LFA production does not start until December 2010.

You hold a very strong sense of entitlement that somehow any serious LFA buyers must call or contact you, and if they don't then you don't believe them or deem them to be true buyers.

The exotic/supercar market does not revolve around you and your circle of friends. I know exotic owners who have bought their cars based on factors and criteria that differ from yours. I know this to be true, and I have nothing to prove to anyone who doubts this.

Yes you have said it over and over that there is no LFA buzz among your group of friends, so why do you continue to say it? We get it, there is no buzz among you and your friends.

You continue to post the exact same thing over and over in different threads, having shown no proof or effort in you yourself trying to contact some of the CL members who have serious interest in buying an LFA.

IMHO, what you are doing is nothing but flame-baiting and trolling at this point.
Well put.

Good for you.

I and others are so sick of so many many people bashing on the Lexus LF-A saying how overpriced it is and it's a Lexus and yet they know almost nothing about the car. If you check on youtube or any other internet sources there are obscene amount of people that bash it to death. Some aggression and emotion is needed here. I'm no hardcore Lexus fan, I like IS350 and IS-F in particular but gotta give credit to what Lexus has done to produce such masterful passionate extraordinary exotic car, the LF-A. This car is no joke.

Agreed. It is extremely bothersome that almost every LFA thread has to turn into a "but the price", "but the gt-r" ... thread.

Old 02-19-10, 08:41 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Are you looking for someone to convince you to buy one or something? I don't see why you need to feel offended if someone who is a prospective buy doesn't want to talk to you, frankly, it's not really any of your business.

I get calls from prospective Lamborghini LP670-SV or RR Phantom buyers all the time because there are so few around. I'm a nice enough guy to help them out any way I can. I'm not asking them for any personal information, just want to talk about what made it the car for them, just as others ask me the same thing. In exotic circles, we like to talk and support each other because at the end of the day, there are few of us out there, few places where we feel safe with our cars, and few people who know issues that come up such as good truckers, excellent valets, etc. I know LOTs of friends with other brands of exotics and we have a great time. I also host a lot of exotic events and I don't make them exclusive to brand. An LFA will be just as welcome as any other car. When I closed a stretch of road in the Seattle area, I invited everyone who wanted to come. You're one more- how dare I ask questions about the LFA!

Quick Reply: On the Road With the 2011 Lexus LFA