LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA Mule spotted. Next SC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10, 08:56 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Isn't this just the first racing prototype we saw way back in 2007, after the unveiling of Concept II? I recognized it immediately due to the headlight configuration, more-aggressive hood intake gap, and the distinctive rear intakes (which differ from both Concept II and the production version). For example:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10706124...lf-a-uncovered
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB85hwb2_r4

Much ado about nothing, I think....

Originally Posted by rominl
i doubt this kind of adjustment. different bumper, different headlights. keep in mind, there are at least 5-6 lfa around the world already (2 white, 1 matte black, 1 blue, 1 red, if not more).
There were at least 2 matte black production-style models even before the Toyko unveiling, so at least 6, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if there are more now. It's been nearly two months since someone first got video of the blue LFA.
Old 04-29-10, 08:57 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am leaning more and more towards the idea of a new SC underneath
Old 04-29-10, 09:19 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gengar
Isn't this just the first racing prototype we saw way back in 2007, after the unveiling of Concept II? I recognized it immediately due to the headlight configuration, more-aggressive hood intake gap, and the distinctive rear intakes (which differ from both Concept II and the production version). For example:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10706124...lf-a-uncovered
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB85hwb2_r4

Much ado about nothing, I think....
With all the tape and mis-shapen body work I think there is a little bit more than "nothing" to the recent spyshots.

As has been said one thing that adds intrigue to these particular shots is that the testing was taking place on streets and not on a track. With that bit of insight it's probably safe to say that this is not a race car. It's probably some sort of street car. Since the LFA is out I doubt Lexus is hastily working on the next gen or another variant just yet.

That's why we're speculating that this is another car altogether for Lexus and there using the LFA body as "camo" if you will. Seeing that it looks like this mule is on a modified LFA platform it could be a 2 door something, and the only 2 door in Lexus's lineup due for a remodel is the SC...
Old 04-29-10, 10:50 AM
LexFather

Front bumper looks like its from the IS F...look at the vertical lines in the middle..

I dunno looks similar to me....
Old 04-29-10, 11:47 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

I don't really think it can be the next SC because it still has a CF chassis as seen in the third-quarter rear shot. There's just no way a non-exotic is getting a CF chassis. Probably just an early development prototype of the next Lexus exotic. BTW is this color metallic black or dark gray? People have been wondering what a metallic black LFA would look like.

Last edited by Mister Two; 04-29-10 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-29-10, 12:42 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
With all the tape and mis-shapen body work I think there is a little bit more than "nothing" to the recent spyshots.
I think you've putting way too much onto light tape over headlights and a few square inches of camouflage. My point is that this isn't a "modified LFA platform" and that there isn't any "mis-shapen body work" - this thing IS an LF-A, essentially identical to the first prototype we saw after Concept II, which was also the base form of the racecar they ran at Nür 24hr in 2008. I think the pictures demonstrate that pretty easily. Keep in mind the base and racecar (with fixed wing) prototypes I mention above were also driven on public streets around Nürburg too; there are plenty of pictures of that from back then as well.

I just think the speculation in this thread is amazingly rampant and people are really reaching to assume that the next SC is going to be some LFA-derived monster with a CF tub. I think that's setting up for a big disappointment.

Originally Posted by Mister Two
BTW is this color metallic black or dark gray? People have been wondering what a metallic black LFA would look like.
This is the dark grey, same as the color on those first couple post-Concept II prototypes. Black would be darker and glossier. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing an LFA in black though. I wonder if the LFA "salon" in Japan has one of those scale models in the official black color.
Old 04-29-10, 11:58 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Ah gengar, but if this is just a regular LFA prototype, where did the rear radiators and radiator fans disappear ?
Old 04-30-10, 01:18 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Speculation is fun. . Fascinating how all the observations are chipping away at the mystery... lacking rear radiators, yet still CF chassis, maybe GS-F engine testing as some say? Also street testing argues against track LFA version testing...
Old 04-30-10, 01:30 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Speculation is fun. . Fascinating how all the observations are chipping away at the mystery... lacking rear radiators, yet still CF chassis, maybe GS-F engine testing as some say? Also street testing argues against track LFA version testing...
5 pages of discussions summed up into one post

Add to the list the camo on the front fender that could be a port for a plug in hybrid setup... (its not for filling gas as you see that right behind the drivers door)
Old 04-30-10, 01:33 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those 'plug-in' ports are on the 09 version of the race car. They were just vents on the front fenders.
Old 04-30-10, 01:35 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

this is the 2010 LFA race car (from http://lexusenthusiast.com/) ... I dont see vents...

Old 04-30-10, 04:14 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

lol thats probably an LFA knock off someone built in their garage
Old 04-30-10, 05:35 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
^^^ lol, win!
Old 04-30-10, 10:02 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
as crazy as that sounds, I "wondered" about an SC300/400 with a conversion kit???
Old 04-30-10, 08:30 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I said on the 09 LFA race car, they were vents. look at this picture closely and you can see the black 'vents' behind the front wheels.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA Mule spotted. Next SC?