LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA Mule spotted. Next SC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-10, 08:32 PM
LexFather

^^ Very good observation and probably for another fuel tank for racing.

So in other words that pic probably was just the LFA...
Old 04-30-10, 08:48 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 'vents' were also on other LFA prototypes, but they were covered up like this LFA in question. But, instead of being covered by material flaps, they were screwed on pieces of bodywork that covered them.

look right behind the 'sport auto' sticker on the wheel well-
Old 05-01-10, 01:39 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Some guy managed to catch video of it: http://bit.ly/ahUTwR (yt)
Old 05-01-10, 02:46 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Some guy managed to catch video of it: http://bit.ly/ahUTwR (yt)
The engine note is so quiet... Could really be a hybird version... or maybe it's just because the person taking the video didn't roll down his window.

Then again I don't quite believe that Lexus will do a straight LFA hybrid and risk angering the 500 LFA buyers who paid so much for their cars because of the "500 only" exclusivity and the suppposed valuation that comes with the 500 number.

Last edited by Mister Two; 05-01-10 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-01-10, 03:00 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Two
The engine note is so quiet... Could really be a hybird version... or maybe it's just because the person taking the video didn't roll down his window.

Then again I don't quite believe that Lexus will do a straight LFA hybrid and risk angering the 500 LFA buyers who paid so much for their cars because of the "500 only" exclusivity and the suppposed valuation that comes with the 500 number.

yeah, it might really be a hybrid.

I can't tell whether the exhaust sound was from the guy's evo, or if it was the LFA mule.

but his window was definitely rolled down.
Old 05-01-10, 04:06 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mister Two

Originally Posted by dunnojack
yeah, it might really be a hybrid.

I can't tell whether the exhaust sound was from the guy's evo, or if it was the LFA mule.

but his window was definitely rolled down.
It might be all electric.

Possibly Lexus's answer to the Tesla Roadster.
Old 05-01-10, 04:35 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I think the video proves this is not an LFA, exhaust note is too quiet .

As stated earlier, this honestly could be anything.
Old 05-01-10, 07:00 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Question:

If you had an LF-A, and then one of these pulled up next to you and it was like 1/4 the price, and not in any way a super car ... would you be upset?
Old 05-01-10, 09:19 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Well, right now there is no proof that this is anything different from an LFA. That video cut off right when you could possibly hear the LFA, at a stop-start being behind it, where the exhaust is. I think it's an LFA street testing, could be using it's 'automatic' version of it's transmission?
Old 05-01-10, 09:42 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TF109B
Well, right now there is no proof that this is anything different from an LFA. That video cut off right when you could possibly hear the LFA, at a stop-start being behind it, where the exhaust is. I think it's an LFA street testing, could be using it's 'automatic' version of it's transmission?

You still believe this is an LFA? Fact is, with no rear radiators or radiator fans this cannot be an LFA.

Unless you can show cold hard proof that this testing vehicle has rear radiators and rear radiator fans, then it is not an LFA. So far, in pictures and this video, there is no visual indication at all of rear radiators or rear radiator fans.
Old 05-01-10, 10:03 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

It's iffy, but it's an LFA by shape size and detail. Redardless of the missing radiator fans in the rear it's still at least an LFA until we know it's something else. I'm not saying that this is a pre-production LFA rolling around but we dont know what else it is. So it's safe to say that it's an LFA, at least skin deep!?
Old 05-01-10, 10:19 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TF109B
It's iffy, but it's an LFA by shape size and detail. Redardless of the missing radiator fans in the rear it's still at least an LFA until we know it's something else. I'm not saying that this is a pre-production LFA rolling around but we dont know what else it is. So it's safe to say that it's an LFA, at least skin deep!?
All we know is that this has an LFA prototype shell. That does not mean underneath it is an LFA, and the evidence so far says that underneath it's probably not an LFA.

Toyota has done this in the past before, using a shell of an unrelated car for an engineering mule of a future car.

Early engineering mules for the ISF used a cut-up Toyota Crown exterior body to fool and throw people off.

Early engineering mules for the 3rd-generation Sienna used a 2nd-gen Sienna exterior body to fool people and throw them off.

Anyone that is unfamiliar with how Toyota tests engineering mules and prototypes will be fooled and thrown off.
Old 05-01-10, 10:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

after listening to the lfa leaving and entering car and coffee, i can assure you if you want the car to be quiet, it can be quiet

the video didn't even show what the exhaust tone is at all. if the driver quickly shift it up to higher gears, yeah right, good luck getting tone from the exhaust
Old 05-02-10, 01:26 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

that's what I was getting at. I mean it might be another vehicle testing in just an LFA shell, but my opinion, i think it is an LFA. I can't say why there's no radiator fans in the rear, but to test another car with a body shell of an LFA? Of all cars for toyota to use to test a sports car, I guess the LFA would be the best or the only option. But why so soon when the LFA's slated release isn't until 2011? That's one of the main things I take into consideration in my opinions as to what this car is.

I was doing some research and there was another video on youtube showing the LFA in someone's mirror on the highway. here- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw4sm0akodI

And this is the second video of the same guy who filmed the LFA(?) in question, but be warned it's really loud thanks to the wind in his Mic, here- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maLCcPfoV4A

My point is, these look to be the same car. The white colored mirrors, the pre-production body-work. Thing is, the first video I posted you can hear the LFA even if it's not loud. So i assume the 2nd video is the same car, an LFA testing.
Old 05-02-10, 02:03 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
after listening to the lfa leaving and entering car and coffee, i can assure you if you want the car to be quiet, it can be quiet

the video didn't even show what the exhaust tone is at all. if the driver quickly shift it up to higher gears, yeah right, good luck getting tone from the exhaust

Agreed. The LFA is still a Lexus. Which means you will still be able to drive it as a daily driver without a lot of noise. Its pretty quiet in the low rev range. When Scott Pruett was slowing down into pit lane I was surprised at how quiet it was at lower RPM. Even when he blew by the pit lane I was expecting a ferocious noise.

It really could be anything. IMO there is not enough evidence for me to conclude that it is or is not a LFA prototype. A case can be made for either opinion.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA Mule spotted. Next SC?