LFA Model (2012)

Motortrend: LFA vs. GTR

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-10 | 11:17 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by Chi-town
Why not make a budget LF-A light with the aluminum chassis for under 100k.

Baller on a budget, I'll take a slightly used GTR for around 50k.

Money no question, the LF-A. Yamaha tuned the hell out of that exhaust note, it is so dangnabit intoxicating! That an the all digital dash. Everything about it, except the price, is right!

Would be nice to see some of this advanced technology trickle down into some of Lexus current and upcoming models (SC/GS/IS). 2012 hardtop convertable SC with digital dash; one can only dream.
How many other 500+ HP 9500 RPM V10’s are available for under 100k?
Old 05-12-10 | 11:18 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TF109B
the GTR wouldn't do anything, because it weighs what it does thanks to the AWD system and it's size. It's not a small car. The LFA is about the size of a 911.
It was a rhetorical question. I know the GTR would beat the LFA if it weighed the same. It beat it by 1 tenth in the qtr mile with a huge weight and power advantage. Make things a bit lighter or a bit more powerful and the GTR will beat the LFA in a qtr mile race. No need to even argue. Pretty obvious
Old 05-12-10 | 11:21 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
It was a rhetorical question. I know the GTR would beat the LFA if it weighed the same. It beat it by 1 tenth in the qtr mile with a huge weight and power advantage. Make things a bit lighter or a bit more powerful and the GTR will beat the LFA in a qtr mile race. No need to even argue. Pretty obvious
And some turbo civics on you tube can beat them both, if that is what people are concerned about then their buying the wrong cars.

My Cell Phone keeps time just like a $20,000 IWC does
Old 05-12-10 | 11:25 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Yeah quarter mile times are great, but unless you are on Pinks it's not that big of a deal. Acceleration out of turns and the road holding through them is what counts on the track, not quarter mile times. Besides, If the LFA had Launch control it'd drop a few tenths and hit 60 in the same amount of time the GTR probably would. Unless you have the perfect GTR and perfect launch control, the LFA will keep up with it, and thanks to it's higher HP and better aerodynamics it'll pull away.
Old 05-12-10 | 11:27 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.P.
And some turbo civics on you tube can beat them both, if that is what people are concerned about then their buying the wrong cars.

Is it just me or do references to craptastic modded up buckets need to be referenced when discussing cars of this caliber?

I mean seriously...

Hell... One could strap a jet engine to a go-cart and smoke everything!

But would you really care or want one?

This comparo was BOUND to come up, and rightfully so! The GT-R set the precedence for Japan performance and now the LF-A has taken it to another level. However... It did NOT blow it away as I and many expected it to performance wise. No argument there, just facts. No matter what class of car they are. Numbers are numbers.
Old 05-12-10 | 11:35 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Is it just me or do references to craptastic modded up buckets need to be referenced when discussing cars of this caliber?

I mean seriously...

Hell... One could strap a jet engine to a go-cart and smoke everything!

But would you really care or want one?

This comparo was BOUND to come up, and rightfully so! The GT-R set the precedence for Japan performance and now the LF-A has taken it to another level. However... It did NOT blow it away as I and many expected it to performance wise. No argument there, just facts. No matter what class of car they are. Numbers are numbers.

Sure they do, sorry you don’t like it. People want to talk ¼ mile times then let’s talk them, if that’s the major factor for buying a car.

One car costs over 300k more than the other but your complaining about my comparison.

Dropping 85k or 400k on a car, ¼ mile time is not on my mind, like I said my cell phone keeps time like a IWC.
Old 05-12-10 | 11:44 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Sure they do, sorry you don’t like it. People want to talk ¼ mile times then let’s talk them, if that’s the major factor for buying a car.

One car costs over 300k more than the other but your complaining about my comparison.

Dropping 85k or 400k on a car, ¼ mile time is not on my mind, like I said my cell phone keeps time like a IWC.
Keyword "your" mind.
Old 05-12-10 | 11:47 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Nothing wrong with 1/4 mile concerns. it happens to be one of the foundations upon which ALL performance cars are judged, among others.
Old 05-12-10 | 11:52 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Keyword "your" mind.
Correct, thankfully mine and not some others
Old 05-12-10 | 11:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I know the GTR would beat the LFA if it weighed the same.
the whole talk about "if" again? it's getting so pointless. i am sure the lfa will win "if" it has 600hp. then i am sure "if" the gtr does something else it will win again. point being? ah, right, there is none. no one would really want to argue, coz' it's just stupid to bring up. let's not talk about if, let's talk about now
Old 05-12-10 | 11:58 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Thing is, this isn't a production model. This is a prototype, and if what I think is true, it could have an aluminum chassis, seeing as how it weighs 3600lbs. and not 3263lbs. like Lexus states. Where did the 337lbs. come from?

My point is, if they get their hands on a production model that weighs much less and has Launch control, it'll smoke the GTR in the 1/4 mile. The launch is perhaps the most important part.
Old 05-12-10 | 12:00 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thing is, this isn't a production model. This is a prototype, and if what I think is true, it could have an aluminum chassis, seeing as how it weighs 3600lbs. and not 3263lbs. like Lexus states. Where did the 337lbs. come from?

My point is, if they get their hands on a production model that weighs much less and has Launch control, it'll smoke the GTR in the 1/4 mile. The launch is perhaps the most important part.
Please refer to rominl's great point of "IF" 2 posts above.
Old 05-12-10 | 12:15 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

There is no IF. This was a trasher car according to Motortrend. There's no IF in the weight disparity. Don't hate because a 4wd car can't stand up to the LFA. It puts down more power, it's lighter, it's faster, it's better balanced. There are no IF's in that statement. And all those statements are true. Not because I said so, but because those who drove it said so. Even though it ISN'T a production LFA.

The only IF i stated was IF I'm correct that this car might be an aluminum chassis and not a carbon fiber one. There isn't a doubt in my mind this car weighs over 300lbs. more than the production LFA. 3580 vs. 3260, take that into account and the GTR gets spanked even more. No IF's AND's or BUT's about it.
Old 05-12-10 | 12:20 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Stop insisting on a 3263lb curbweight, because that is in it's lightest configuration (in europe might I add). The stated curbweight is 3263-348xlbs according to lexus, based on options etc. Taking the 348xlbs into consideration, it's a bit easier to figure where the weight come from, be it driver, a full tank of Gas or whatever. I hate that Lexus always sends it's cars in the worst possible configuration to be tested, but I guess these cars are more important for showing to prospective buyers, so

^ What he said.
Old 05-12-10 | 12:57 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

even if it weighs 3480lbs. the car is still overweight by 100+, I'll state whatever I feel like stating. And when do they weigh cars with a driver in it? That statement makes no sense. That's like saying we included our driver in the weight of the car. I've heard of no one doing this when testing or stating a vehicles weight.

EDIT: If a full tank of gas is added to the car thats 100lbs.+ But curb weight is not dry weight.

Quick Reply: Motortrend: LFA vs. GTR