LFA Model (2012)

Motortrend: LFA vs. GTR

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-10 | 01:17 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

The fact that the LFA is faster at the top end and dynamically superior to the GT-R is academic. Why is it even being argued about? With it's exotic layout, lightweight construction and hefty price tag the LFA better beat the GT-R or forever hang its head in shame. The GT-R itself has nothing to be ashamed about as it is as competitive a car as one can be to the LFA, given the price differential. I don't doubt that in short time there will be a production-spec GT-R that will hang with the LFA in almost every measure that matters. But there are magical things about the LFA which the GT-R will probably never achieve. For one that spectacular engine shriek at speed.
Old 05-12-10 | 01:27 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

yeah the GTR is an awesome car in it's own right. But I still think there is more to come from the LFA. Regardless of whether I'm right or not with the chassis being aluminum or carbon fiber in motortrend's test LFA. It still doesn't have Launch Control nor the tires bridgestone supplies it.
Old 05-12-10 | 01:52 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TF109B
There is no IF. This was a trasher car according to Motortrend. There's no IF in the weight disparity. Don't hate because a 4wd car can't stand up to the LFA. It puts down more power, it's lighter, it's faster, it's better balanced. There are no IF's in that statement. And all those statements are true. Not because I said so, but because those who drove it said so. Even though it ISN'T a production LFA.

The only IF i stated was IF I'm correct that this car might be an aluminum chassis and not a carbon fiber one. There isn't a doubt in my mind this car weighs over 300lbs. more than the production LFA. 3580 vs. 3260, take that into account and the GTR gets spanked even more. No IF's AND's or BUT's about it.
Whoa... Easy there Big Fella... LULZ!
Old 05-12-10 | 02:16 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

I'm cooling man, no reason to take what i said out of context though.

Last edited by TF109B; 05-12-10 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-12-10 | 03:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
The fact that the LFA is faster at the top end and dynamically superior to the GT-R is academic. Why is it even being argued about? With it's exotic layout, lightweight construction and hefty price tag the LFA better beat the GT-R or forever hang its head in shame. The GT-R itself has nothing to be ashamed about as it is as competitive a car as one can be to the LFA, given the price differential. I don't doubt that in short time there will be a production-spec GT-R that will hang with the LFA in almost every measure that matters. But there are magical things about the LFA which the GT-R will probably never achieve. For one that spectacular engine shriek at speed.

agreed but is the noise worth 300k extra??????????
Old 05-12-10 | 04:07 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Can you tell us from where you "heard" that the prototypes are aluminum? I'm sure there were some earlier camo'd prototypes that weren't on CF, but this prototype with all production-ready body and interior? I don't think so. Just look at the pics in the gallery that comes with the article. It's more than clear that it's CF. The weight gain must be from the fluids.
Probably taken wildly out of context and then snowballed even further from reports of comments by unspecified Lexus employees, which was later corrected. See, for example:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5454612-post99.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5457599-post107.html
Old 05-12-10 | 04:12 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
agreed but is the noise worth 300k extra??????????
Considering that an LFA will appreciate in value and the GTR will depreciate in value: Yes, the premium is well worth it...
Old 05-12-10 | 04:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

appreciate???? hmmmmmm

I doubt that seriously. Its just not a desirable car for people who buy these types of cars and its not made from a company that people in this market even generally entertain even for their luxury cars. For us maybe because we are Lexus people but trust me this car will not appreciate over time. You act like its a Bugatti. The LFA has no heritage ( like a Ferrari or Bugatti).........at all. Lexus has no experience in this realm and has never produced a car in this realm. Whats to desire when it gets old??? 1 of 500 means nothing if its to low on the radar and its the new new new kid on the block. The GTR has decades more heritage than the LFA ( not that it will appreciate)They are already smoking the good stuff with a 400k price tag. Think Dubai and you will know why this car will fall in value and quite frankly fade away into super car history.

The Enzo will appreciate, The carrera GT will appreciate, The Aston One 77 will appreciate, and the Reventon will appreciate. The LFA is a nobody in this realm. sorry but true. Talk to people who actually buy these cars
Old 05-12-10 | 04:50 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

The Enzo will appreciate, The carrera GT will appreciate, The Aston One 77 will appreciate, and the Reventon will appreciate. The LFA is a nobody in this realm. sorry but true. Talk to people who actually buy these cars
I do talk to people who will actually buy the car.

Apparently, you don't. You don't know the type of clientele who's buying this car. You delusionment supercedes the truth.
Old 05-12-10 | 05:07 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Are you serious? There's more than enough interest in this car. They had to deny people because of the amount of cars produced was less than the total amount of people interested. That's more demand than supply, this would mean the car will gain value, not lose it. This is why Lexus offered only a lease option in the U.S. Learn a few things before you make statements like that.

About the CF AL thing. There are only 3 prototype CF LFA's in the world right? So i there ARE AL LFA's built for demo or presentation purposes, what classifies a demo or a presentation? I'm pretty sure the LFA that was matte black (now white) was at a few auto shows. So whats up with the car that Motortrend and Car And Driver had? I think it's the same car.

Last edited by TF109B; 05-12-10 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-12-10 | 06:35 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Guys keep this thread polite and mature please. It's headed the wrong way.
Old 05-12-10 | 07:32 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think the LFA will appreciate, but I could certainly be wrong about that. In my opinion, the supercar market is far too saturated and the world economy is currently in such a state that cars can't appreciate like they once did.

In any case, it's certainly not why I am buying the car, and IMO, it's a pretty bad reason to buy a car. They're not investments. And personally, as I've posted previously, I don't like manufacturers that limit car production under demand as, for example, Ferrari consistently tries to do. I think that it's great that we have supercars like the Carrera GT and to a lesser extent the Ford GT and SLR where the manufacturers simply go out and try to sell as many cars as they can sell.

Just FYI, the Carrera GT has depreciated significantly and the Reventon has at best avoided significant depreciation. At least one of the US Reventons with essentially delivery miles was offered for under MSRP. Personally, I doubt the One-77 will appreciate, but we'll see.
Old 05-12-10 | 07:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gengar

Just FYI, the Carrera GT has depreciated significantly and the Reventon has at best avoided significant depreciation. At least one of the US Reventons with essentially delivery miles was offered for under MSRP. Personally, I doubt the One-77 will appreciate, but we'll see.
Basically. One should do some sort of research before making claims..

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1273718022391

I hope it depreciates more, one of my all time favorites! FYI what, near 1400 or so were built, far more than the LFA.
Old 05-12-10 | 09:28 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

appreciate???? hmmmmmm

I doubt that seriously. Its just not a desirable car for people who buy these types of cars and its not made from a company that people in this market even generally entertain even for their luxury cars. For us maybe because we are Lexus people but trust me this car will not appreciate over time. You act like its a Bugatti. The LFA has no heritage ( like a Ferrari or Bugatti).........at all. Lexus has no experience in this realm and has never produced a car in this realm. Whats to desire when it gets old??? 1 of 500 means nothing if its to low on the radar and its the new new new kid on the block. The GTR has decades more heritage than the LFA ( not that it will appreciate)They are already smoking the good stuff with a 400k price tag. Think Dubai and you will know why this car will fall in value and quite frankly fade away into super car history.

Not sure about that one. Around these parts, a good 95% of households with exotic cars (lamborghinis, ferraris, aston martins) usually with a household liquid net worth exceeding $10 million have one of the following as the "family" sedan: Lexus LS 460/600 RX/LX, Mercedes S550/ML, BMW 7/X, and even non-luxury cars such as the toyota camry and honda accord. Yes, you heard right - camrys and accords. These are people with houses in the $5M-$10M range (this may seem like chump change in California or New York, but it's quite a lot here in Texas where the cost of living is substantially lower) and liquid net worths in the $10M+ range...driving their families around in camrys.

I'd say about 70% have either an Lexus LS/LX/RX, BMW 7/X, or Mercedes S/ML as a "daily driving" family sedan/SUV, while the other 30% of these ferrari/lamborghini/Aston-owning multi-millionaires use toyota camrys (20%) or honda accord sedans (10%) as "family" mobiles.

A number of these households also have non-"exotic" sporty cars daily driven by the head of the house hold - usually a Mercedes AMG, Jaguar XF, Lexus SC430s (yes, there's Lexus again), or BMW (predominantly M5s or M6s).

Hell, the median annual income of LS600hL owners teeters around $500,000 (source: forbes.com).

It's simply not the case that Lexus does not attract higher income/high net worth individuals who have the means (and often do) to purchase exotics.

Edit: Just to be clear, I am not arguing against your claim that the LF-A is a "nobody" in the eyes of exotics owners. I can't argue that one either way.

I was only commenting on the bolded part of your post.

Edit again: The LS600hL average annual income comes from personal communication with a Lexus representative, not forbes.com. Forbes.com does have average incomes for purchasers of other Lexus vehicles, however. For example, the median annual income of RX 400h buyers is a little over $200,000/year (this one is from forbes.com).

Last edited by syzygy; 05-12-10 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-12-10 | 09:36 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

appreciate???? hmmmmmm

That's your opinion. I'm going to be civil about this, so I wont give you my opinion on yours.

lol, Bugatti has a lot of heritage, but the substance behind the brand is pure VW. I wonder if all of this crap would be spewed if Toyota had decided to buy Bizzarini, Detomaso, Jaguar or Guigiaro badge, nobody would have batted an eyelash.

Anyway, just as a reference, the Toyota 2000GT costs about $45K in todays money. It sells for over $300K.

I sincerely wish we can revisit this thread 40 years from now and I bet then that the LFA will sell then for at least 1.5 million in 2010 money.

What's to desire when it gets old? It was the first.

Quick Reply: Motortrend: LFA vs. GTR