LFA Model (2012)

Who here is getting a lfa! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-10, 02:45 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I brought up a lease option other than the one communicated to the public.

The response was, the one pay is alll we currently have but "we are willing to work with you". So I believe a different plan is possible/likely.
Old 06-11-10, 02:48 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
what do you mean rearrange things? like they will sell the car for cheaper than 375k? or they are going to have different plan from the original 2 year lease plan?

regardless, 1/2 of what you have in bank for car, that's a lot
I dont think they mean price i think the way i purchase it. they will get back to me in 1-2 weeks and i will let you guys know.
Old 06-11-10, 02:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
I would express significant reservation about pursuing the LFA in your case. Have you looked into the ownership costs beyond the MSRP, such as forced lease interest, sales tax, registration fees/excise, insurance, other first-year operating costs? It's going to add up to far more than the MSRP of the vehicle, and you need to understand these costs and plan for them.

I'm going to be among the last people on this board to tell you not to go for what you want, but you have to make sure - with all facts considered - that in fact it truly is what you want. I don't know what your cash flow is or what your employment situation is, but given the facts you've stated, I simply think you can find a lot better uses for the $500k+ you're going to tie up in this car over the first couple years of use, and you're going to get more chances to own more great cars in the future.

I personally would bank on the LFA depreciating like a typical supercar - in other words, quite rapidly. Cars should not receive financial treatment or consideration as investments.
some great advise there, i agree with you.

and i also don't think lfa will really appreciate in values

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I brought up a lease option other than the one communicated to the public.

The response was, the one pay is alll we currently have but "we are willing to work with you". So I believe a different plan is possible/likely.
that's very interesting. i remember you also brought up that they mentioned about monthly plan instead of 2 lump sums?

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
I dont think they mean price i think the way i purchase it. they will get back to me in 1-2 weeks and i will let you guys know.
sure, keep us posted about what lexus says
Old 06-11-10, 03:01 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally would bank on the LFA depreciating like a typical supercar - in other words, quite rapidly. Cars should not receive financial treatment or consideration as investments.
The operative word here is over time. If Lexus keep the promise of making only 500 cars ever, I will bet you that my LFA and yours will worth more than what we will pay for them 5+ years down the road.
I am no expert at collectible anything, so we will just have to wait and see. You have to remember that 500K seems like a lot of money today, but it would be a different story in the future.
Old 06-11-10, 04:54 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

S2000toIS350 too bad youre not gettin it. i would love to see one around here.
Old 06-11-10, 05:21 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

pavelekPL

I imagine that my slot went to another person here.
This is a major market and Lexus wants the car to be seen.

Plus, the GM at my dealership said he was getting one so you will be able to visit one in the sow room at some point.
Old 06-12-10, 03:45 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
The operative word here is over time. If Lexus keep the promise of making only 500 cars ever, I will bet you that my LFA and yours will worth more than what we will pay for them 5+ years down the road.
... and as I said, I'm going to bet the opposite direction. In any case, my point is simply that the slight possibility of appreciation should not be considered in the financial viability of a car purchase. IMO, it'd lack prudence for the OP to assume anything but rapid depreciation typical of supercars when considering the financial impact of his purchase.

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
I am no expert at collectible anything, so we will just have to wait and see. You have to remember that 500K seems like a lot of money today, but it would be a different story in the future.
I'm not sure how the valuation of $500,000 differs today or in the future unless you are referring to inflation, which is an issue distinct from the car's depreciation. Certainly as I stated earlier I am not knowledgeable of the OP's current cash flow or employment situation, so he certainly may believe in the future that, relatively speaking, $500,000 is not a lot of money.

Last edited by gengar; 06-12-10 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-12-10, 06:11 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I am inclined to say, if you don't think you can afford it, you probably can't without causing yourself a lot of extra stress.
Old 06-13-10, 05:37 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

... and as I said, I'm going to bet the opposite direction. In any case, my point is simply that the slight possibility of appreciation should not be considered in the financial viability of a car purchase. IMO, it'd lack prudence for the OP to assume anything but rapid depreciation typical of supercars when considering the financial impact of his purchase.

I'm not sure how the valuation of $500,000 differs today or in the future unless you are referring to inflation, which is an issue distinct from the car's depreciation. Certainly as I stated earlier I am not knowledgeable of the OP's current cash flow or employment situation, so he certainly may believe in the future that, relatively speaking, $500,000 is not a lot of money.
For the benefit of the OP, I've stated originally that his entire situation would give me some grey hairs! Also, I've never said the LFA purchase would be any kind of sure fire investments. My point is that if the LFA did hold its value over time (and there is a good chance for that in 5+ years), the owner can sell it to recoup the much of initial costs. You can argue about the time value and all, but that would be another story. I think a good case for this is the Toyota 2000GT that cost $6800 in 1968. For reference it was about $2K more than comparable Porsche and $1K more than the better Jag E-type. Now it's going for more than $200K, so you are looking at an ROI of over 8% annually.

As for the valuation of 500K, from a general POV, inflation would play a small part, but there is one other major factor; the world economy continues to produce rich, and super rich individuals for years to come recession or not.

Last edited by 07grIS350; 06-14-10 at 05:16 AM.
Old 06-15-10, 02:24 AM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if only the LFA came out a few years later, i might be able to get it haha
Old 06-20-10, 03:44 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF only the LFA came out like 50 years later, I might be able to afford one with my retirement funds, but there goes my retirement.
Old 06-20-10, 07:13 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Some are lucky enough to be able to turn down an offer for a LFA. The demand for them here is incredible, so far I have not heard anyone who has won the draw at their dealership cancel. (Of course that doesn't mean I have received accurate info)
Old 06-20-10, 07:22 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Businessweek's "how much car can you afford" -

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09..._afford/10.htm

Annual Income: $1,000,000
Mortgage/Rent: Up to $280,000
Car: Lamborghini Murcielago, $354,000
Dining Out: $21,600
Entertainment: $20,400
Clothing: $15,000
Travel: $40,000
IRA: $100,000
Private University: $43,950
Health/Car/Life Insurance: $7,500
Federal Income Tax: Married: $320,362 / Single: $327,684

To afford a $350,000 vehicle, you should probably take in roughly $1,000,000 per year pre-tax.
Old 06-20-10, 10:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Some are lucky enough to be able to turn down an offer for a LFA. The demand for them here is incredible, so far I have not heard anyone who has won the draw at their dealership cancel. (Of course that doesn't mean I have received accurate info)
seriously dave, they should have just allocate more cars to japan, would be easier there. i wonder how are they doing here
Old 06-21-10, 09:07 AM
shhhua
Lead Lap

That's quite tempting for the OP. If I had that much in my bank and was offered an LFA, I'd be thinking of how to make it work as well, but like gengar said, it is going to cost a lot more than the initial cost. Hopefully Lexus can come up with a solution that allows you to get one!

Quick Reply: Who here is getting a lfa! Help!