LFA Model (2012)

Who here is getting a lfa! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-10, 06:07 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who here is getting a lfa! Help!

I am still trying decied and i have untill the 16th to make my first payment! its really pricey! I do love cars! help with pros and cons!
Old 06-09-10, 06:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

s2000tois350 - got allocated but not getting car
gengar - got allocated a car
07grIS350 - got allocated a car, canada
anajri - got allocated a car, outside of the US

dave600hl - wants the car but not allocated one, japan
Old 06-09-10, 07:39 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They must have been pissed with s2000tois350 turning down the car after all that. I know I would be.
Old 06-10-10, 02:11 PM
LexFather

If you actually got picked to buy the LFA and can buy the LFA, there is no way in hell I would not get the LFA. No way in hell.

Do it, post pics, make me study extra hard
Old 06-10-10, 02:34 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

For me, the initial $10k deposit was refundable until I put in my actual order along with the second deposit of $50k (these details were stated in my initial allocation letter, so check yours), so if you're leaning towards getting the car I'd simply put down that first deposit. Just FYI, they do cash that initial deposit check immediately, so it's not one of those "holding check" type of deposits.

Just be aware that Lexus has already gotten and continues to get lots of orders, so your delivery date is sliding backwards quite rapidly with every day you don't order and make that second deposit. According to one rep I spoke to, the order response has not only exceeded Lexus' estimates to this point, but more people than expected are ordering basic colors to try to move ahead in the delivery queue - so they've actually had to revise their preliminary delivery guidelines back.

Of course, if you pick one of the special colors, this is less relevant.

Originally Posted by excluesive
They must have been pissed with s2000tois350 turning down the car after all that. I know I would be.
A lot of people who received allocations did not deposit, which Lexus expected. That's why they did allocations in waves, so that they could work their way through the list of interested customers. There's no way response for such a car could be 100%, no matter how amazing the car or the economy. And the latter stinks right now. I even heard from a Ferrari salesman at Wynn-Penske that 458 sales to first-time Ferrari buyers are far exceeding any past models.

Last edited by gengar; 06-10-10 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-10-10, 02:42 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Lexus was great to work with.

No one was upset. I got my $10K back and put the other $50K I had shaken out of the Intelligensia coffee can to other purposes and life moves on.

My dealer had 5 folks who were told no allocation for you buddy.
I do not know if they had other folks who were in the queue that
were not rejected outright. It is likely that someone in Chicago got my allocation, maybe a Blackhawk who can drive the cup around in it.

Regarding the pros and cons

The cons are around a price that can't be justified through a rationale logic set and a knowledge that competitors will up their value proposition in a big way (NSX made Ferrari work harder and S2000 made Porsche work harder).

Pros

If you are someone who understands and appreciates a water view place crafted with fine materials, using excellent design is worth (to you) ten times what a similarly sized place would cost in a nondescript neighborhood, this might be your car.

Groundbreaking effort from the top quality producer in the industry.

Should have a permanent following based on rarity and how special it is.

Top shelf ownership experience due to corporate and dealership commitment.

Having been on two tracks with two unreal drivers with the LFA, it is a spectacular car and if you bite, you get at least two years of fun with one.
Old 06-10-10, 08:05 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

i like the car i do but i keep thinking of other cars for that kinda of money like ferrari and lambo and i could save money! yes i do understand all the work that has been put into this car! Colors for me is matte black if i do decied or the orange! I am not rich so money is a concern! also i have a 16 month old and my wife is due in oct and she wants a bigger house! these all lean me towards saying no. thanks for your imput guys i am going to frame my letter so i can always remember i chose something instead of the perfect car! Those who did get one i hope the car is perfect as i know it will be!
Old 06-10-10, 09:00 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am so jealous you get to go through this dilemma.. I am one less fortunate then you.. haha! GL with the buy.
Old 06-10-10, 09:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i will be honest and say this. if you are at the position of worrying about getting a bigger home, a 16-month and expecting another one later this year, then you are probably not at the stage of getting a car like this (in the 400k range). i am making some assumptions here of course and i am not trying to offend or disrespect at all. people i know how are really capable of getting cars in this range, they are usually pretty financially "secured".

but you still have your isf, still a great car
Old 06-11-10, 08:53 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Originally Posted by rominl
i will be honest and say this. if you are at the position of worrying about getting a bigger home, a 16-month and expecting another one later this year, then you are probably not at the stage of getting a car like this (in the 400k range). i am making some assumptions here of course and i am not trying to offend or disrespect at all. people i know how are really capable of getting cars in this range, they are usually pretty financially "secured".

but you still have your isf, still a great car
i agree with you! i dont have alot of cash in the bank these days 825k is not going to be enough to do all i want. if i had 2mill in the bank i would do it but like i said im not rich so i am moving on. I tried to explain to my wife that 825 is alot but she opened my eyes, once we upgrade a house another car for her and furniture im basically gonna be broke! So thats why i am not getting this car, i am with u rominl if i just had a little more it might make sense. i was talking to my friends at lexus and they all said it would be cool but at the same time i dont wanna buy a car that will be half the price of my house! lol! thanks guys. I know this car is awesome and i will take anyone to lunch for a ride!
Old 06-11-10, 01:10 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

I spoke to soon! Lexus contacted me direct today and said after some meetings in japan maybe we can rearange things so i to can own the LFA!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-10, 01:42 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
I spoke to soon! Lexus contacted me direct today and said after some meetings in japan maybe we can rearange things so i to can own the LFA!!!!!!!
Congrats. Wow you will have a new house, new baby and a new LFA. I think that would have given me a few gray hairs. However, I think the LFA will have a small chance that it will appreciate in value overtime. So you might be able to enjoy the car at a very reasonable cost.
Old 06-11-10, 01:45 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Thanks! Im very excited to see what the can come up with!
Old 06-11-10, 01:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

what do you mean rearrange things? like they will sell the car for cheaper than 375k? or they are going to have different plan from the original 2 year lease plan?

regardless, 1/2 of what you have in bank for car, that's a lot
Old 06-11-10, 01:57 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
i agree with you! i dont have alot of cash in the bank these days 825k is not going to be enough to do all i want. if i had 2mill in the bank i would do it but like i said im not rich so i am moving on.
I would express significant reservation about pursuing the LFA in your case. Have you looked into the ownership costs beyond the MSRP, such as forced lease interest, sales tax, registration fees/excise, insurance, other first-year operating costs? It's going to add up to far more than the MSRP of the vehicle, and you need to understand these costs and plan for them.

I'm going to be among the last people on this board to tell you not to go for what you want, but you have to make sure - with all facts considered - that in fact it truly is what you want. I don't know what your cash flow is or what your employment situation is, but given the facts you've stated, I simply think you can find a lot better uses for the $500k+ you're going to tie up in this car over the first couple years of use, and you're going to get more chances to own more great cars in the future.

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
However, I think the LFA will have a small chance that it will appreciate in value overtime.
I personally would bank on the LFA depreciating like a typical supercar - in other words, quite rapidly. Cars should not receive financial treatment or consideration as investments.

Last edited by gengar; 06-11-10 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Who here is getting a lfa! Help!