LFA Model (2012)

Chief Toyota test driver killed in LFA wreck

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-10, 06:17 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Very sad news. My condolences to those affected, particularly the family of Naruse-san and also the other, so far unnamed passenger, and also best wishes for a recovery to the other 2 in the E90.

It goes with the territory however that racing and test driving is a dangerous business. The LF-A prototypes had collisions in the 2008 24h race, an engine fire at 2009's 24h race, and at 2010's 24h race also another crash. Not to mention, one of the 2010 VLN qualifying events the LFA participated in was cancelled partway through due to a fatal Aston Martin crash. There was also a fatality in a test track crash involving the LS 400 decades ago. The F1 race driver who helped with the NSX's development was killed in a race accident several years later. It is a dangerous business, even with the safety precautions taken.

It will hopefully be illuminating to see what the investigation finds.
Was there really a passenger in the LFA? I don't think so. Anyway, that F1 driver was Ayrton Senna
Old 06-23-10, 06:38 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

R.I.P

I hope Lexus releases more info.

Because this is pretty bad news... First car to get wrecked and the driver dies. First there was an engine fire with one of the prototypes and now this.
Old 06-23-10, 07:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Two
The Nur Edition is supposed to be an optional upgrade to the LFA road car and not a race car. As such it is supposed to be fitted with airbags, but was not in this case probably only because it was just a tester.
If you really think airbags save lives, you've drunk some pretty good Kool-Aid. This isn't the thread to discuss it though. Airbags or not, we'd be seeing the same result.
Old 06-23-10, 07:32 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If you really think airbags save lives, you've drunk some pretty good Kool-Aid. This isn't the thread to discuss it though. Airbags or not, we'd be seeing the same result.
With his age... the airbags probably killed him :/

From the video it showed inside the cabin... honestly the knee airbags don't seem that comfortable.
Old 06-23-10, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexwang07
Consider also that Mr. Naruse was 67 years old. It's also possible that a medical problem unrelated to the car caused him lose control.
Though I didn't mention it in my last post, I was thinking the same thing. There are, of course, many racing drivers still with good reflexes at that age (witness Carroll Shelby, Paul Newman, Steve McQueen, Phil Hll, etc....), but, in general, driving ability decreases as you get into your senior years. And, on top of that, many Japanese people don't live on a traditional diet of fish/rice/vegetables any more, increasing the rate of heart disease as they adopt Western-style diets.
Old 06-23-10, 07:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

WOW...thats really sad , but I have to say I am amazed he was killed. That car should have protected him better than that. I wonder if there was an issue with the vehicle because its a prototype??? That road is narrow and curved so I cant imagine he was ripping it around the corner. Its sad and I hope the BMW drivers will pull through
Old 06-23-10, 08:17 PM
blisiono
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sad news.
R.I.P.
Old 06-23-10, 08:23 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

This is the worst year for Toyota/Lexus....sigh
[edited unnecessary info]

Last edited by rominl; 06-23-10 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-23-10, 09:37 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Seems to be different reports. This one says two test drivers in the LFA were killed.

http://wot.motortrend.com/6691329/au...any/index.html

I am also dismayed at how the LFA held up, just compare A-pillars.
Old 06-23-10, 10:13 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the LFA is lower, and it was probably traveling at a greater speed. There's no reason to assume the 3 series is stronger of a car than an LFA. This is sad, sad, news. Naruse-San was a master in his profession. At least his legend, the LFA will live on.
Old 06-23-10, 10:25 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
the LFA is lower, and it was probably traveling at a greater speed. There's no reason to assume the 3 series is stronger of a car than an LFA. This is sad, sad, news. Naruse-San was a master in his profession. At least his legend, the LFA will live on.
Well said. A little to early to speculate how the damages occurred and their end result based off of photos. From my daily profession which includes accident investigations, IF the LFA and or the BMW was going at a very high rate of speed, both cars would have sustained more damage and have ended up farther apart from where they are actually sitting from the point of impact. Merely judging A pillar damage is not a good assessment of the end result.

I have contacted Lexus HQ this morning (it was nighttime in Japan at the moment) as soon as news broke through Autoblog. They are gathering more info from Japan before they can release an official statement. Once it has been released, it will be posted up here and on our front page.

Last edited by flipside909; 06-23-10 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-23-10, 10:34 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of the comments on the other sites are so tasteless I am disgusted.
Old 06-23-10, 10:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am curious as what Lexus will say. I hope we get news soon
Old 06-23-10, 10:38 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's just extremely sad. I got online earlier to this news on autoblog, I was hoping for some video of the LFA from the ring since they had photos. Then I see this?? I just said to myself, no, no freaking way. HOW? I follow Gazoo racing and Naruse is the Nur-Meister. To think that he could be involved in an accident, he knows the ins and outs of that track and the roads around it, to me, there HAS to be more to it. Driver error from Naruse? That's next to impossible. Especially on the roads OUTSIDE the Nurb'. I'm thinking something might have affected him, health reasons maybe. A stroke? Something! I donno man, but not Naruse-san. Poor Naruse-san, and whoever else involved. I heard there was a passenger, perhaps collecting data. One of the saddest days for Toyota. I'm still bummed from the news.
Old 06-23-10, 10:39 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

So sad, what a loss for Toyota and auto enthusiasts worldwide. I pray for his family and friends, and hope they find solace in the magnificent accomplishments he was able to achieve throughout his lifetime. Rest in peace, Naruse-San.

Javier

Quick Reply: Chief Toyota test driver killed in LFA wreck