LFA Model (2012)

Sport Auto: LFA super test teaser video

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-10, 05:57 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I want Lexus to come out and officially claim the 7:19 the chief engineer has responded with in the press. Atleast, that will prove what LFA is capable of.

That's EXACTLY what I want too. Not that Autocar's test is meaningless. But there has been talk by those in the know that the LF-A is capable of sub 7:20s. So let it be done by a driver who is capable of fully exploiting this carbon fiber marvel.

And showing a sub 7:20 lap is like saying "See? S T F U!."
Old 07-26-10, 06:01 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,464 Likes on 1,771 Posts

Agreed.

It looks quite bad that a $275,000 Ferrari 458 Italia only ran a 7:38. That does make me feel concerned.

p.s. I noticed they made a mistake of putting down 510 ps for power instead of 560 ps in the specifications in the video.

Originally Posted by RRocket
That's EXACTLY what I want too. Not that Autocar's test is meaningless. But there has been talk by those in the know that the LF-A is capable of sub 7:20s. So let it be done by a driver who is capable of fully exploiting this carbon fiber marvel.

And showing a sub 7:20 lap is like saying "See? S T F U!."
Old 07-26-10, 06:07 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Like I said...among those who REALLY follow the 'Ring, Autocar's numbers aren't considered bible. Even so..them posting a slow time with the car could damage it's reputation (somewhat).
Old 07-26-10, 06:13 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I ran the summary through a translator:

"They are here: Start side "tests" supertests

Lexus LFA in the test quiz
North loops-round time type and go
VIDEO The Lexus LFA proves in the test on the north loop his potential. Type the round time. With some luck you can win a taxi journey on the Nürburgring. You read the test result in next sport auto-notebook"

Originally Posted by RRocket
Like I said...among those who REALLY follow the 'Ring, Autocar's numbers aren't considered bible. Even so..them posting a slow time with the car could damage it's reputation (somewhat).
Old 07-26-10, 06:36 PM
LexFather

I assume we won't know real times until a real car and not a prototype hits the Ring?
Old 07-26-10, 06:41 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I assume we won't know real times until a real car and not a prototype hits the Ring?
I agree. Lexus should not permit running and publishing performance/handling tests on unfinished prototypes or put a fully finished prototype out for testing.

I am wondering if so many tests are performed on the prototypes, they would not want to re-run tests on production version.
Old 07-26-10, 10:32 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, even the 7:24 by prototypes from 3 years ago almost is pretty good. Seeing as how they've run 2 or 3 24hour Nurb' races since those times were quoted it seems like the LFA has bettered it's own time at least. I wouldn't doubt that it was faster than the other cars being tested around the ring since they said the LFA proves it's worth. To me that sounds like it took a good time in their tests. Even as a pre-production unit, so the production unit could potentially be even better. And even the Nurb' edition would be better yet. Crazy huh? We'll find out soon!
Old 07-26-10, 11:31 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With 500 cars being made, where exactly will the media get a production specimen to spank around the ring, or any other track for that matter?

I wish Lexus would give me one of the pre-production prototypes instead of sending it to the crusher
Old 07-28-10, 12:03 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah they should save the prototypes for exhibition or something.
Old 07-28-10, 01:01 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

There's lots of owners of ferrari's lambo's pagani's and such that loan their car to a magazine publisher for a price to get it tested for that mag. Motortrend comes to mind, as does Car & Driver. If you really think Lexus won't say- hey here's a brand new production LFA, have fun with it, you gotta be silly. They're already doing this, exampled by such with the Goodwood running.
Old 07-28-10, 01:18 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TF109B
There's lots of owners of ferrari's lambo's pagani's and such that loan their car to a magazine publisher for a price to get it tested for that mag. Motortrend comes to mind, as does Car & Driver. If you really think Lexus won't say- hey here's a brand new production LFA, have fun with it, you gotta be silly. They're already doing this, exampled by such with the Goodwood running.
Those are prototypes. Lexus is not going to give one of their 500 customers cars to be ragged out by a magazine. Are you mad?

As for customers loaning their cars to magazines, well, I'm sure if they wreck their exotic, the company will happily build another for them. Lexus is not going to do that.
Old 07-28-10, 01:27 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Really? I just said they are already giving out some free rides in the LFA. The prototypes cost more to the company than the production units. You must be mad. Once the production units arrive, I'm pretty sure there will be someone who gives out their LFA for official testing. And like I said, there are probably Lexus officials who have an LFA ready for them. If you think they won't hold a media day or something of that sort you're crazy. Ferrari even did this with the GTO. There's guys out there tracking their GTO around Spa, but you think the LFA will be a garage car? Come on now. Lexus whole deal with the LFA is to get it shown off and tracked around gaining popularity for the brand. They'd welcome these types of things. Showing off the LFA is what they want. Tracking the LFA is what they want. Why do you think the Nurb' edition comes with a year long pass to the track itself? Don't be silly. The LFA will show it's true colors when it hits. I'm sure of it.
Old 07-28-10, 02:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

haha, lexus is going to built 500 lfa to be sold to the public. it's silly to think that they are just going to build 500 cars. i am more than sure they will have at least a few "final product" somewhere for their own use / purposes
Old 07-28-10, 04:21 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

He is correct, MR.

Owners do lend their highly exclusive exotic cars to run tests on them for whatever reason.

An example? Well, check out Top Gear's episode where Nick Mason (Pink Floyd) lent his $1 million Enzo Ferrari to Jeremy Clarkson to flog around the race track and do lots of power oversteers in the turns. The Stig also ran a lap in the same Enzo as well.

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Those are prototypes. Lexus is not going to give one of their 500 customers cars to be ragged out by a magazine. Are you mad?

As for customers loaning their cars to magazines, well, I'm sure if they wreck their exotic, the company will happily build another for them. Lexus is not going to do that.
Old 08-01-10, 06:23 AM
DOC4LEX
Pole Position

Lets wait for mag to update us on the Lap time

Quick Reply: Sport Auto: LFA super test teaser video