LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA Driver Development Center program at Infineon (official)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11, 08:52 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,474 Likes on 1,779 Posts

"(by racing the 1⁄4 mile then applying maximum brake pressure)"

They also mention "achieving the official 3.6 seconds 0 - 60 mph" for the drivers as well so there must be some telemetry equipment to measure all these numbers.

Is it not "free" for the owners???

I am sure lots of people will definitely be there. Owners or not. This is one amazing opportunity to experience something most cannot in their life time.

I would really appreciate if you get some of your performance data and share it with us.

Originally Posted by gengar
I'm glad Lexus is opening this up to the public and I hope that many enthusiasts will take the chance to drive one of the best cars in the world on one of the best tracks in the world. At the same time, I guess not that many LFA owners responded.

I don't interpret the press release that way. Of course I could just bring my PerformanceBox...

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-12-11 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-12-11, 09:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,971 Likes on 2,403 Posts

So it's $3500 for one day, and they're running this from March 8th to March 15th? How much time is LFA time vs. ISF time? A one day event for $3500 is not a small hurdle when there are many other schools you can attend for ~$2500 and two or three days on track (depending on venue).

I know I'll be busy from the 8th to the 10th, but I'll be out west. Friday the 11th is sounding really interesting.
Old 02-12-11, 10:10 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
So it's $3500 for one day, and they're running this from March 8th to March 15th? How much time is LFA time vs. ISF time? A one day event for $3500 is not a small hurdle when there are many other schools you can attend for ~$2500 and two or three days on track (depending on venue).

I know I'll be busy from the 8th to the 10th, but I'll be out west. Friday the 11th is sounding really interesting.
Seems like participants spend most of your time in the LFA. According to the official details "they teach the driver how to use the launch control to achieve or exceed the 3.6 seconds 0 - 60 mph", "racing the 1/4 mile and then braking down to standstill" and also "acceleration tests beyond the 1/4 mile".

This should answer your question:

"This unique opportunity is for current LFA owners, potential LFA owners or any sports car enthusiast that wants a full day of high-performance dri*ving behind the wheel of the LFA — under the guidance of professional driving coaches, participants will first test out the LFA’s acceleration & braking (by racing the 1⁄4 mile then applying maximum brake pressure), and then move directly to the track, first with some IS-F test laps, then followed by 4 track sessions behind the wheel of the LFA. The day ends with an all-out, pedal-to-the-metal lap with a professional race car driver."
Old 02-12-11, 10:21 PM
krew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Did they let you know how many participants the event is limited to per day?

Also, do you have a hotel recommendation for the area?
I've been told that it's limited to six people a day -- also, here's the recommended hotels in the LFA invitation:

Bardessono is a Lexus partner hotel
1-877-932-5333
www.bardessono.com
6526 Yount street
Yountville, CA 94599

Kenwood inn
1-800-353-6966
www.kenwoodinn.com
10400 sonoma Highway
Kenwood, CA 95452

meadowood
1-800-458-8080
www.meadowood.com
900 meadowood Lane st.
Helena, CA 94574

Auberge du soleil
1-800-348-5406
www.aubergedusoleil.com
180 rutherford Hill road
Rutherford, CA 94573
That said, no personal experience with any of them.
Old 02-12-11, 10:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS

They also mention "achieving the official 3.6 seconds 0 - 60 mph" for the drivers as well so there must be some telemetry equipment to measure all these numbers.

I am sure lots of people will definitely be there. Owners or not. This is one amazing opportunity to experience something most cannot in their life time.

I would really appreciate if you get some of your performance data and share it with us.
i think owners have to pay as well

but i think it's great that they are opening this to everyone not just lfa owners.

though 3500, that's quite a bit of money for a day
Old 02-13-11, 06:15 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks for the info Krew.

I believe all participants pay the same amount.

Regarding costs, if only 6 folks a day, that is a small denominator to spread across the track costs, staff costs, food, pro drivers, transportation of gear and costs to run and upkeep of the cars.

I have got to believe this will be a first class event.

The two other LFA events I went to in 2010, Homestead and Autobahn Chicago were terrific (and Lexus picked up the tabs for those).
Old 02-13-11, 10:00 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Hi Gengar,

My sense, as you mentioned is that many of the buyers are not taking the opportunity.

Did they let you know how many participants the event is limited to per day?

If they are running 8 days and can have 12 people (just an assumption) per day, that would be about half of the North American allocations. To be honest, a 50% take rate would be crazy high.

Also, do you have a hotel recommendation for the area?
They didn't mention anything about the daily participant limitations, although I'm a bit surprised by krew's post about actually having as many as 6 drivers a day since this is supposed to be a full-day program. That said we don't know how many LFAs Lexus will have on hand for the event. They should have extra LFAs around - given the possibility that many of the drivers are beginners, I wouldn't be that surprised if an LFA winds up in the wall at some point during the program. Crashes at Ferrari's driving schools for owners are pretty common, for example.

I've never even traveled to Napa so don't have any recommendations for lodging. I decided just to stay at the Lexus partner hotel at the event, the Bardessono. I'm sure most of the recommended hotels will be fine. I'll be eating at the Meadowood's restaurant during my stay, and can give thoughts on the property if I wind up walking around there.

Again, I just don't read that the same way. It's a huge jump to infer from some marketing fluff about taking a car to its limits that there will actually be telemetry equipment.

Not free. As I mentioned in the OP, it's $3500.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
A one day event for $3500 is not a small hurdle when there are many other schools you can attend for ~$2500 and two or three days on track (depending on venue).
Originally Posted by rominl
though 3500, that's quite a bit of money for a day
I actually think the $3500 is a tremendous bargain. As I alluded to in the OP, we could go to either extreme for comparison, and either demonstrates the value of $3500. On one side, there's the typical introductory track instruction experience at a local, club-style racetrack which usually runs around $600 for a half-day experience in a car (Corvette, M3, etc.) not remotely as interesting as the LFA on a track not remotely as interesting as Infineon. On the other, you've got factory programs like Ferrari's owner track day instruction program which for the 2-day experience generally runs $20,000. The value of the sessions has made me consider signing up for multiple sessions - who knows, maybe they'll let me.
Old 02-13-11, 11:34 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by krew
I've been told that it's limited to six people a day -- also, here's the recommended hotels in the LFA invitation:

That said, no personal experience with any of them.
But you're staying at one of them aren't ya.
Old 02-13-11, 12:20 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by gengar

Again, I just don't read that the same way. It's a huge jump to infer from some marketing fluff about taking a car to its limits that there will actually be telemetry equipment.
To my knowledge they are going to have data recording instruments at this LFA Driver Development program.

Which is Great News..!!

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-13-11 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-13-11, 12:21 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
To my knowledge they are going to have data recording instruments at this LFA Driver Development program

Joe Z
Good to know, thanks.
Old 02-13-11, 01:29 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

To my knowledge they are going to have data recording instruments at this LFA Driver Development program.

Which is Great News..!!

Joe Z
Do you know this for a fact Joe? I think what you're talking about is still in the works and not confirmed. And im sure the source you heard this from is not really wanting people to share this info until official.
Old 02-13-11, 01:46 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Do you know this for a fact Joe? I think what you're talking about is still in the works and not confirmed. And im sure the source you heard this from is not really wanting people to share this info until official.
No Ryan, I don't know this for a fact !!

Really once again I have no idea what you are talking about

Common sense tells me they are not going to use a stopwatch with pen & paper.

Regards,

Joe Z
Old 02-13-11, 01:51 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Agreed. That is exactly what I think.

If there is no telemetry equipment such as, video vbox, it will become very boring since you have no idea lap after lap, if you are getting any better than before or not. I mean, Lexus equipped every LFA with video VBOX when they held the event at Goodwood England.

Besides, they said we will teach the driver how to achieve or exceed the official 3.6 seconds 0-60 mph, which can only be confirmed by telemetry.

No Ryan, I don't know this for a fact !!

Really once again I have no idea what you are talking about

Common sense tells me they are not going to use a stopwatch with pen & paper.

Regards,

Joe Z
Old 02-13-11, 02:04 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Agreed. That is exactly what I think.

If there is no telemetry equipment such as, video vbox, it will become very boring since you have no idea lap after lap, if you are getting any better than before or not. I mean, Lexus equipped every LFA with video VBOX when they held the event at Goodwood England.
I'm pretty sure driving an LFA at Infineon won't get boring. I've never tracked with timing devices... ever.
Old 02-13-11, 04:22 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't say boring, but if they had recording and telemetry equipment on the pre-production LFA's at Goodwood, why wouldn't an official LFA driving program have them? It just makes sense that they'd keep details about the laps, and have drivers and times on hand to show people where and when they make a mistake, or where it can be improved etc.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA Driver Development Center program at Infineon (official)