LFA Model (2012)

POTENZA S001 tyre to be equipped on the Lexus LFA

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-11, 03:23 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts
Default POTENZA S001 tyre to be equipped on the Lexus LFA

We already knew this but here's Bridgestone Europe's official statement...

Originally Posted by Bridgestone EU

January 7, 2011

Bridgestone Corporation announces that it has begun supplying POTENZA tyres to be equipped on the Lexus LFA. Details are as follows.

Vehicle: Lexus LFA
Tyre Model: POTENZA S001
Tyre size: Front 265/35ZR20 (95Y) - Rear 305/30ZR20 (99Y)
Market: Japan, United States, Europe, etc

POTENZA S001 tyres combine solid handling under both wet and dry conditions with a high level of comfort. Since the launch in 1979 of the first POTENZA tyre, the premium POTENZA brand has earned high praise from a variety of customers, especially drivers of high performance cars and motorsports enthusiasts.

The Lexus LFA is a new flagship in the F series performance lineup. This Lexus vehicle combines ultra- responsive performance and refined styling to open up a new world of driving emotion, exhilarating the senses to move the driver in more ways than one. With its precise handling, the LFA makes the driver feel as though they are one with the car, which gives the driver a sense of reassurance. The performance, superb chassis design and meticulous aerodynamics of the Lexus LFA only deepens the emotional satisfaction of the Lexus experience.
Source
Old 01-10-11, 12:05 PM
LexFather

I'm a huge Michelin fan now but this is quite convincing to try the new S001 at least once.
Old 01-10-11, 12:23 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Shouldn't the OFFICAL STATEMENT come from Lexus ???

I'm just saying.......

Also, are they considered "Bespoke" Bridgestone Potenza S001 Tires??

Well, I guess now they can finally update the LFA Brochure.

Joe Z
Old 01-10-11, 01:21 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,789 Posts

Don't think so. They are just a LFA-spec customized version of the standard S001 Potenza tires that Bridgestone already makes (also, the standard 458-spec factory tire for the 458 with the optional more track-oriented tire being the Michelin Pilot PS2 tire).

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Shouldn't the OFFICAL STATEMENT come from Lexus ???

I'm just saying.......

Also, are they considered "Bespoke" Bridgestone Potenza S001 Tires??
Well, I guess now they can finally update the LFA Brochure.

Joe Z
Old 01-10-11, 01:23 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So will the Nurb edition come with higher performance Bridgestones? I have heard the S001's aren't the best at this category, but better for street/tracking, am I correct?
Old 01-10-11, 02:17 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

No the best tires for the track, but definitely a very good all-rounder that balances comfort with track performance.

Custom version of PS2 with Michelin Pilot Cup semi-slick outer shoulders (OEM spec for ZR-1, optional for 458 etc.) seems to be the best track tire in the class, but it tramlines like crazy.

Originally Posted by TF109B
So will the Nurb edition come with higher performance Bridgestones? I have heard the S001's aren't the best at this category, but better for street/tracking, am I correct?
Old 01-10-11, 03:18 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

That's what I meant when i said track/street, as in a tire for both, and not so much a track performance tire like those Michellin's you speak of. What about the high spec Bridgestones? I think the RE's or something, I don't know their name. Are they not at least what those other tires are? I wouldn't doubt it, Bridgestone makes decent tires, as does Yokohama (at least in 'streetable' performance terms).
Old 01-10-11, 06:27 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Michelin is my fave also. No big deal, if I ever got an LFA, ill switch out the tires to PS2 anyway (or PS3 once PS2 is fully discontinued).
Old 01-10-11, 06:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

except that ps2 don't come in those sizes

and out of curiosity, i wonder if one put the normal standard ps2 tires, would the car perform better or worse than the model specific s001 on the lfa.
Old 01-10-11, 07:00 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
except that ps2 don't come in those sizes

and out of curiosity, i wonder if one put the normal standard ps2 tires, would the car perform better or worse than the model specific s001 on the lfa.
I would say definitely worse with the off-the-shelf PS2. The S001 are LFA-spec and tested with the car so definitely much superior.
Old 01-10-11, 07:57 PM
LexFather

Tire Rack has them, same size as LFA...not really any other size yet

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....l=Potenza+S001

Interesting, did some snooping around

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....E050A+Scuderia

The Potenza RE050A Scuderia is Bridgestone's Max Performance Summer tire developed for Original Equipment use on the 12 cylinder mid-engine, Enzo Ferrari supercar with a top speed of 221 mph. The Potenza RE050A Scuderia was developed to provide excellent traction along with responsive and predictable handling on dry and wet roads. It is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

The Potenza RE050A Scuderia features a high-grip tread compound molded into an asymmetric tread design. Stable outboard shoulder elements, intermediate tread blocks and a continuous center rib provide responsive handling, high-speed stability and traction on dry roads, while circumferential and lateral tread grooves pump water out from under the tire's footprint to minimize hydroplaning and aid wet traction. A continuous rib adjacent to the inboard shoulder blocks promotes even wear and resists inside wear generated by suspensions that specify negative camber alignment settings. The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced by spiral-wrapped nylon to stabilize the tread area and enhance handling as well as high-speed capability.

Last edited by LexFather; 01-10-11 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-10-11, 09:54 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I have to comment on this because thats such an ignorant statement to make. Lexus has not tested the prototype LFAs with anything other than these Bridgestones.

I have driven the LFA and these tires handle fine, but they tend to get squirly when you're powering out of a corner, especially in Sport mode. Im not a huge fan of Bridgestone because they tend to ride louder and are easier to spin off the line.

I have PS2s on my ISF and they grip very well. They are very predictable tires compared to various summer spec Bridgestone Potenzas ive driven on. IS300, IS350, GS, ISF and of course LFA.

Have you ever owned or driven on Michelin PS2's or any Bridgestone Potenza RE or S series tires on your Lexus?

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I would say definitely worse with the off-the-shelf PS2. The S001 are LFA-spec and tested with the car so definitely much superior.

Last edited by flipside909; 01-10-11 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-10-11, 10:52 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I think you need to re-read my statement regarding comparison with an off-the-shelf PS2 a little more closely before you jump to criticism and start calling me ignorant. Simply because a purpose-built version would tend to suit the car far more than an off-the-shelf . Just sayin'.

p.s. I have had Potenzas (760) on my car, BTW and Michelin Pilot Exaltos as well.

Originally Posted by flipside909
I have to comment on this because thats such an ignorant statement to make. Lexus has not tested the prototype LFAs with anything other than these Bridgestones.

I have driven the LFA and these tires handle fine, but they tend to get squirly when you're powering out of a corner, especially in Sport mode. Im not a huge fan of Bridgestone because they tend to ride louder and are easier to spin off the line.

I have PS2s on my ISF and they grip very well. They are very predictable tires compared to various summer spec Bridgestone Potenzas ive driven on. IS300, IS350, GS, ISF and of course LFA.

Have you ever owned or driven on Michelin PS2's or any Bridgestone Potenza RE or S series tires on your Lexus?

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-10-11 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-11-11, 11:18 AM
LexFather

Gentleman lets all relax, we all support the LFA.
Old 01-11-11, 12:49 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

I'm sure there are new compounds for bridgestone tires. What i wonder is what will come on the Nurb' edition, if any different.

Quick Reply: POTENZA S001 tyre to be equipped on the Lexus LFA