LFA Model (2012)

LFA Successor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11, 02:34 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think Toyota/Lexus needs a sports car all the time. When the LFA is done....and I mean as soon as possible....they should get to work on something. I don't care to speculate on all the variables, just one.....the price. 375K is just too much unless the car is superior to a 599 in every way. Lexus/Toyota would be better served by giving us a car between the 100-200K price range. Actually, the LFA should have been in that range but it's hard to offer something equal for less now that they have gone through with this as is.
I wish Lexus would do more coupes regardless of doing a pure sports car.
A GS coupe would be sweet.
A fixed roof IS coupe would be nice.
An SC with multiple power choices would be sweet with a range topping F-car. Lexus just doesn't seem to see clearly on the sporty side of things.
Old 01-12-11, 03:14 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,476 Likes on 1,781 Posts

You are talking nonsense here. Lexus wanted to build a "no compromise" supercar so how could they have created it and sell only 500 of those and still price it at $100 - 200K.

LFA IS much superior to 599 GTB HGTE in almost all conceivable ways (except acceleration past 150 - 200 mph) so I am not sure what you mean? It is actually $65,000 cheaper than the 599 GTB with the HGTE handling package.

Originally Posted by Ice350
I think Toyota/Lexus needs a sports car all the time. When the LFA is done....and I mean as soon as possible....they should get to work on something. I don't care to speculate on all the variables, just one.....the price. 375K is just too much unless the car is superior to a 599 in every way. Lexus/Toyota would be better served by giving us a car between the 100-200K price range. Actually, the LFA should have been in that range but it's hard to offer something equal for less now that they have gone through with this as is.
I wish Lexus would do more coupes regardless of doing a pure sports car.
A GS coupe would be sweet.
A fixed roof IS coupe would be nice.
An SC with multiple power choices would be sweet with a range topping F-car. Lexus just doesn't seem to see clearly on the sporty side of things.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-12-11 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-12-11, 03:25 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car & Driver agrees, then we haven't even seen what its truly capable of yet, let alone the Nurburgring edition!
Old 01-12-11, 07:18 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
You are talking nonsense here. Lexus wanted to build a "no compromise" supercar so how could they have created it and sell only 500 of those and still price it at $100 - 200K.

LFA IS much superior to 599 GTB HGTE in almost all conceivable ways (except acceleration past 150 - 200 mph) so I am not sure what you mean? It is actually $65,000 cheaper than the 599 GTB with the HGTE handling package.
To me the LFA is not superior to a 599.
According to Edmunds.com
599 is a v12 with 611hp starting at 310K

LFA is a v10 with 552hp starting at 360K

IMO the 599 is more attractive and sexy.

LFA looks good but the front end just sucks.

Being a Lexus lover I would select LFA over the 599, if I had the money but that doeasn't mean I think it's a better car. It will prolly be more reliable and easier to maintain, hopefully. Which is the number one value I have for cars.
Old 01-12-11, 07:57 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

No offense, I think the more you speak, the more it is beginning to show you don't quite know what you are talking about. Again, the whole internet is mired in such superficial talk based on price versus HP.

A base stripped model 599 price with a fully LFA equipped price is an apples to oranges comparison. A loaded 599 GTB costs $400,000 and then there is almighty $30,000 handling package (HGTE) for a sum total of $430,000.

Care to explain how LFA could be actually faster to 60 mph and 1/4 mile in a direct head to head comparison (although, only by 0.2 seconds) despite having less power?? There is a very good logic explanation for that and it is called weight where LFA's carbon fiber makes it weigh 500 lbs less than the 599 GTB with HGTE handling package.

That is before we get into the handling where LFA has proven to be 10 seconds faster around Nurburgring than the 599 GTB with HGTE package. Then there is the engine responsiveness, which is where truly LFA separates itself from the 599. What about the sound where LFA clearly separates itself with its typical V10 F1 sound and 9500 rpm rev limit (versus 8400 rpm on the 599 GTB).

To me the LFA is not superior to a 599.
According to Edmunds.com

Being a Lexus lover I would select LFA over the 599, if I had the money but that doeasn't mean I think it's a better car. It will prolly be more reliable and easier to maintain, hopefully. Which is the number one value I have for cars.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-12-11 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-12-11, 08:19 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I 375K is just too much unless the car is superior to a 599 in every way. Lexus/Toyota would be better served by giving us a car between the 100-200K price range. Actually, the LFA should have been in that range but it's hard to offer something equal for less now that they have gone through with this as is.
Are we really going to go over this discussion again?
Old 01-13-11, 09:04 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
No offense, I think the more you speak, the more it is beginning to show you don't quite know what you are talking about. Again, the whole internet is mired in such superficial talk based on price versus HP.

A base stripped model 599 price with a fully LFA equipped price is an apples to oranges comparison. A loaded 599 GTB costs $400,000 and then there is almighty $30,000 handling package (HGTE) for a sum total of $430,000.

Care to explain how LFA could be actually faster to 60 mph and 1/4 mile in a direct head to head comparison (although, only by 0.2 seconds) despite having less power?? There is a very good logic explanation for that and it is called weight where LFA's carbon fiber makes it weigh 500 lbs less than the 599 GTB with HGTE handling package.

That is before we get into the handling where LFA has proven to be 10 seconds faster around Nurburgring than the 599 GTB with HGTE package. Then there is the engine responsiveness, which is where truly LFA separates itself from the 599. What about the sound where LFA clearly separates itself with its typical V10 F1 sound and 9500 rpm rev limit (versus 8400 rpm on the 599 GTB).
Twice you used subtle insults to state your point. I let it go. Please don't do it again. You can state your points without subtle attacks. Here's how it's done:
I have sat in both cars. Looked them over hundreds of times on the net. Haven't heard the sound or rode in an LFA yet so I can't compare. But from what I can see and touch, the 599 is a better car. That's my opinion and I am not sure why that can't be accepted. But who cares. Just don't use put downs to talk on the net. You certainly wouldn't do that in person for fear of causing a problem. That's what I dislike most about net chatting, some guys get boosted nerve.
I like Lexus cars including the LFA but I'm not naive enough to believe they are the only desirable cars out there. Yeah, I think LFA is too expensive...but I would still buy one. That's what car nuts do.
Old 01-13-11, 09:44 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^^^^^^^^

No need to get so riled up. You are entitled to your opinions, but the next time don't try to prove someone wrong, do a little research. Period.

Like I said in my post, no offense, you completely ignored a few key things here. You were trying to prove me wrong, yet you did not have your facts straight rather than randomly picking up figures from here and there.

Here is what you wrote originally in a bid to prove me wrong.

the LFA is not superior to a 599.
According to Edmunds.com

1 - You talked about power and engine size, yet completely chose to ignored what truly the defining characteristics and what Lexus has been rambling about for LFA development for an eternity (light weight) such as, the V10 engine being smaller than a V6, carbon fiber etc.where LFA despite having all the luxuries the 599 has undercuts the weight by a whopping 500 + lbs.

2 - You talked about pricing, yet you compared a barebones base model 599 GTB with the price of an LFA with all the equipment standard. An apples to oranges comparison. The HGTE package (necessary to make its handling even worthy of comparing with LFA), is $30,000 alone.

3 - What about all the figures of handling. You completely ignored their handling numbers where LFA truly outshines the 599 GTB with HGTE.

4 - Interior is subjective, but C&D called LFA's interior "a much more special place" than the "sparse 599 GTB HGTE interior". Again, subjective and if you like 599 GTB more, there is no right or wrong here.

5 - LFA's front end sucks?? Really?? OK, below is a picture and in my opinion LFA's front end is far more superior to the plain jane 599 GTB HGTE front Again subjective and beauty is always in the beholder's eye.

I could have even put more facts forward, yet I only made a point that you are trying negate someone based on one or two things that are only a part of the whole equation.

I suggest you look at the whole sum the next time rather than a part of it before you come back and try to prove someone wrong.

Regarding the sound of the V10 versus V12. You make your own decision here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvM-i...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WPCE...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3kQZ...layer_embedded

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-13-11 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-13-11, 09:48 AM
LexFather

Gentleman please agree to disagree. People ARE entitled to their opinions on the LFA even if they dissent from the majority and they do it respectfully. ICE350 has, so no need for jabs or condescending remarks to him.
Old 01-13-11, 02:22 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GTO is the 599 to have, but they're gone for the most part and still with more units- 599- it's more expensive than the more rare LFA, and on top of that, the MOST rare LFA, the Nurburgring only has 25 or 50 units? That's a lot of Ferrari's that are limited editions, then the 599GTB in itself is produced in numbers far greater than that of the 'regular' LFA.

So if you're going to compare that, then what makes the 599 'worth it'? That's my view on things. Anyway this thread is about a successor to the LFA, not which car is worth it. So if we get more details we should talk about that here.
Old 01-14-11, 06:15 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Wow! That dude really likes the LFA! Well, I like it too....but I like other cars too. All those numbers and information mean nothing against human subjectivity. We place emotion in the equation when selecting transportation. Side-by-side, I think the 599 is better looking, more exotic and more desirable. If I were buying, I'd probably get the LFA because of the perceived advantage in reliability. We won't know if it's more reliable until they are being used but history tells us this is a reasonable expectation.

I am still entitled to my opinion. It's one of the few entitlements we still have in our society. I have little room for people who can't accept differing opinions.

Back on topic

The LFA gives us a taste of what Lexus can do on the sporty side of things. Going forward, I would expect something sexy as a staple. They promised there would be a trickle-down effect but I want some coupes. Like Benz does it. Sporty and luxurious. If Lexus brings that home, they will have my dollars for life.

Last edited by Ice350; 01-14-11 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-14-11, 01:08 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Gentleman please agree to disagree. People ARE entitled to their opinions on the LFA even if they dissent from the majority and they do it respectfully. ICE350 has, so no need for jabs or condescending remarks to him.
1, you need to look at it this way, if you walked into a sushi bar and loudly stated that eating raw fish is disgusting, and that is pasta better. However you would still eat sushi because you believe it gives you tons of vitamin D.

I don't think there is anyway that can be taken as being respectful.
Old 01-14-11, 01:56 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just hope that somehow the LFA Roadster will make it to production in some ways. It's just too sexy to remain in concept form.
Old 01-14-11, 04:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Two
I just hope that somehow the LFA Roadster will make it to production in some ways. It's just too sexy to remain in concept form.
wonder how much they would price that at, if at all
Old 01-14-11, 04:20 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Lexus had BETTER make a successor. There is obviously a demand for it (well at least in some of us CL members and outside too).

Quick Reply: LFA Successor?