LFA Model (2012)

LFA Launch Control details

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-11, 10:54 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
what are you talking about, we are expecting YOU to use it and tell us your time!
OK fine. I'll consider doing one run with my trusty PerformanceBox.

Originally Posted by JessePS
Why do you need a launch control to get the proper feel of the car? It should be active all the time.
I have come to the opposite conclusion: Launch control doesn't belong on any car. It's merely the construct of spec-chasing automotive manufacturers and internet fanboys. Understanding a car's dynamics doesn't come from using a completely automated system to launch a car.

As far as why it shouldn't be active all the time, the GTR would be the case in point.
Old 01-27-11, 11:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
OK fine. I'll consider doing one run with my trusty PerformanceBox.

I have come to the opposite conclusion: Launch control doesn't belong on any car. It's merely the construct of spec-chasing automotive manufacturers and internet fanboys. Understanding a car's dynamics doesn't come from using a completely automated system to launch a car.

As far as why it shouldn't be active all the time, the GTR would be the case in point.
now we are talking

it's another torn issue imho. on one hand, getting some "numbers" seem to be the norm these days, if you don't do it, you fall off the comparison somewhat. that's the unfortunate part. but overall, i agree, i don't really care about launch control as much (even the ones in m3, etc...). the car overall and how it drives, that's what i am more interested in. plus for a car like this, how it does in straight line, it's small part of what i care
Old 01-27-11, 06:31 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seem quite complicated to set-up. Whatever, I'll probably never see one anyway.
Old 01-27-11, 07:28 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Someone's going to have to talk me into using this... ever.
Please tell me your kidding! I think people that have money, & buy a supercar, but never drive it to it's full potential, even every once in a while. Are just plain LAME. Sorry if I offend you by this statement, but that would be your fault.
Old 01-28-11, 03:18 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going out on a limb and saying their best times will be 3.4 to 60mph with the LC, maybe 3.3 but I don't see any faster, not with the tires it comes standard with. Maybe the Nurb edition will have 'slicker' tires? I wonder though, isn't the Nurb edition just additional body parts, 10more HP, lighter (better IMO) wheels, stiffer suspension, and a fixed wing? Or does anyone know anything more? Maybe that's for another thread.
Old 01-28-11, 10:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spdrcr771
Please tell me your kidding! I think people that have money, & buy a supercar, but never drive it to it's full potential, even every once in a while. Are just plain LAME. Sorry if I offend you by this statement, but that would be your fault.
you definitely think wrong. most exotics sold actually never see the track or driven to even half of their potentials
Old 01-28-11, 10:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i just spent time to move out OT posts into another thread. this thread is ONLY about lfa launch control. thank you
Old 01-28-11, 11:08 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if the new launch control is only going to benefit up to the current level of grip. Launching at 3700 rpm might be ideal for the current tires, but what if the owner decides to upgrade to a sticker tire? If would be really cool if the launch rpm could be customized by the driver.
Originally Posted by TF109B
I'm going out on a limb and saying their best times will be 3.4 to 60mph with the LC, maybe 3.3 but I don't see any faster, not with the tires it comes standard with. Maybe the Nurb edition will have 'slicker' tires? I wonder though, isn't the Nurb edition just additional body parts, 10more HP, lighter (better IMO) wheels, stiffer suspension, and a fixed wing? Or does anyone know anything more? Maybe that's for another thread.
Old 01-28-11, 11:17 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,795 Posts

The launch rpm is fixed at 4000 rpm. It does not appear to be modifiable by the driver.

The computer adjusts the clutch slippage and also the ignition timing to get the best traction while holding the rpms and not letting the car bog down. Therefore, it will dynamically adjust to the traction the tires are giving.

I am very opposed to the idea of Lexus not giving the LFA super slick tires. Most less extreme cars like GT2, Aston Martin V12 Vantage, LP570-4 etc. come with super slick track tires (PS cup tires, Pirelli Corsa).

Off the line traction has been the issue with the "neutral dump" technique and had been cited by every publication that tried it resulting in lower than normal times considering LFA prototypes highest recorded trap speed is between 125 mph (C&D)- 127 mph (Automobile Mag), which is good for low 11s.

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
I wonder if the new launch control is only going to benefit up to the current level of grip. Launching at 3700 rpm might be ideal for the current tires, but what if the owner decides to upgrade to a sticker tire? If would be really cool if the launch rpm could be customized by the driver.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-28-11 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-28-11, 11:20 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Sounds like the "New Engine Break in Period" is set to only 310 miles.....

But I'm just guessing as usual..

Joe Z
Old 01-28-11, 11:24 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Sounds like the "New Engine Break in Period" is set to only 310 miles.....

But I'm just guessing as usual..

Joe Z
That is quite low considering most BMWs (M3s etc.) have a 1500 miles break in period.
Old 01-28-11, 11:29 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Knowing how the computer system works, i would love to see the system customized. Knowing what the general focus on the LFA is, i dont find it hard to believe that someone would track the car with a DOT legal track tire.

The increase in grip is actually going to lower the trap speed along with the ET. I would love to see how the car does on a hoosier
Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The launch rpm is fixed at 4000 rpm. It does not appear to be modifiable by the driver.

The computer adjusts the clutch slippage and also the ignition timing to get the best traction while holding the rpms and not letting the car bog down. Therefore, it will dynamically adjust to the traction the tires are giving.

Off the line traction has been the issue with the "neutral dump" technique considering LFA prototypes highest recorded trap speed is between 125 mph (C&D)- 127 mph (Automobile Mag).
Old 01-28-11, 11:33 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Right from the beginning, I was very opposed to the idea of Lexus not giving the LFA super slick tires. Most less extreme cars like GT2, Aston Martin V12 Vantage, LP560-4 etc. come with super slick track tires (PS cup tires, Pirelli Corsa).

Nurburgring edition comes with super slick Bridgestone tires, though.

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Knowing how the computer system works, i would love to see the system customized. Knowing what the general focus on the LFA is, i dont find it hard to believe that someone would track the car with a DOT legal track tire.

The increase in grip is actually going to lower the trap speed along with the ET. I would love to see how the car does on a hoosier
Old 01-28-11, 12:02 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by spdrcr771
The problem is that you talk about "full potential" in terms of launch control. I certainly don't look at it that way. I mean, do you really believe the "full potential" of the LFA is from its launch control system?

I don't take any offense from your post. However, I do feel quite sad that you have the beliefs that you do. I feel quite sad that you actually believe the "full potential" of a supercar only is reached when some silly automated launch control system is activated... and the LFA's engineers would feel sad too.

To be perfectly honest, I would have been more happy if launch control had been left off the LFA entirely.
Old 01-28-11, 12:46 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
That is quite low considering most BMWs (M3s etc.) have a 1500 miles break in period.
Seems almost inline with the IS-F.... Which is 621 miles from memory...

They want you to have Fun.. quicker..

Quick Reply: LFA Launch Control details