LFA Model (2012)

LFA Launch Control details

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-11, 12:51 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
The problem is that you talk about "full potential" in terms of launch control. I certainly don't look at it that way. I mean, do you really believe the "full potential" of the LFA is from its launch control system?

I don't take any offense from your post. However, I do feel quite sad that you have the beliefs that you do. I feel quite sad that you actually believe the "full potential" of a supercar only is reached when some silly automated launch control system is activated... and the LFA's engineers would feel sad too.

To be perfectly honest, I would have been more happy if launch control had been left off the LFA entirely.
No i wasnt just focused on the launch control system. My thoughts were if you never use the launch control, then my "assumtion" was that you might be the kind of guy that doesnt feel the "need or want" to experiance the cars true potiential. Some people are perfectly happy with owning a super fast car or motorcycle, but never driving or riding it for what it was built to "do" or what it can do. But this is what makes people different. Im the guy that if I buy 1000hp anything or a 2g pulling machine i want to feel them all. Ive know a couple of people with supercars. One guy had a Farrari F40 but it almost never came out of the garage. The other guy had a Lambo Gallardo he bought brand new & he was @ a track day with 300mi on the car giving me the ride of my life. So there ya go "to each his own". Thanks for not getting offended. That was not my intention.
Old 01-28-11, 01:16 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Though, you don't seem to care too much about the launch control system, it makes perfect sense for an automated sequential gearbox.

There is absolutely no way to get off the line fast in an automated gearbox unless there is ability for the computer dump the clutch from high rpm and modulate the clutch and throttle (all of which are beyond the driver's control). With launch control system, it actually alters the ignition timing as well to get the maximum traction.

Considering in a RWD car, a well developed launch control system can give AWD-like launches, is a huge plus since in a manual transmission, it is not possible since many parameters are beyond the driver's control.

Case in point, if there was no way to launch LFA fast off the line, the acceleration numbers and the lap time numbers would be a lot slower, which is not a good thing for an exotic supercar.

Originally Posted by gengar
The problem is that you talk about "full potential" in terms of launch control. I certainly don't look at it that way. I mean, do you really believe the "full potential" of the LFA is from its launch control system?

I don't take any offense from your post. However, I do feel quite sad that you have the beliefs that you do. I feel quite sad that you actually believe the "full potential" of a supercar only is reached when some silly automated launch control system is activated... and the LFA's engineers would feel sad too.

To be perfectly honest, I would have been more happy if launch control had been left off the LFA entirely.
Old 01-28-11, 01:20 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Well, M3 has such a high break in period due to its high-revving nature of the engine (8400 rpm).

LFA being rev limited at 9500 rpm, I would have thought a higher break in period, but hey Lexus knows what its doing so I would believe that is the right number.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Seems almost inline with the IS-F.... Which is 621 miles from memory...

They want you to have Fun.. quicker..
Old 01-28-11, 03:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
That is quite low considering most BMWs (M3s etc.) have a 1500 miles break in period.
technically, m3 is 1200 miles
Old 01-28-11, 08:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Break in 1200 miles? Some of you guys need to build engines. You'd never do it that way again if you saw the difference between quick and slow break-in. But what does break-in have to do with launch control?

BTW, anyone else been reading the New Car Features for the LFA? Fascinating stuff in there...
Old 01-28-11, 08:30 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like you have been. Can you please share some with us??

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Break in 1200 miles? Some of you guys need to build engines. You'd never do it that way again if you saw the difference between quick and slow break-in. But what does break-in have to do with launch control?

BTW, anyone else been reading the New Car Features for the LFA? Fascinating stuff in there...
Old 01-28-11, 08:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Looks like you have been. Can you please share some with us??
That should be a thread by itself. It would make sense to me to ask Lexus permission to post the entire NCF on the site. It really is incredible engineering in this car despite the unfortunate curb weight.
Old 01-28-11, 08:55 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

That would be just amazing. Please do post details from the NCF.

What is the curb weight you are seeing in the manual?? 3263 lbs??

That should be a thread by itself. It would make sense to me to ask Lexus permission to post the entire NCF on the site. It really is incredible engineering in this car despite the unfortunate curb weight.
Old 01-28-11, 09:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Not even close. 3461 lbs. Heavier than my Supra was bone stock.
Old 01-28-11, 09:06 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So 3263 would be a dry weight, or perhaps the curb for the nurburgring spec car?
Old 01-28-11, 09:56 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Not even close. 3461 lbs. Heavier than my Supra was bone stock.
Yes, I hope someone puts a production LFA on the weight scale and finds out exactly how much does it weigh in production trim with all the standard equipment since the range is 3263 - 3461 lbs.

p.s. Actually, Toyota Supra TT was weighed at 3500 lbs by CarAndDriver back in the first road test waayyy back in June, 1993.
Old 01-28-11, 10:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

C&D also said the turbos were different sizes and the wing was functional, all things we know are not true. I trust what I saw in the New Car Features because it exactly matched my car. I never trust the magazines because they're always (especially C&D) screwing it up by having some idiot editor make things "look" better (or worse depending on the make).

If you read carefully, the page I posted is for US and Canadian spec cars. The other page covers the entire range of production for the world. US cars will weigh very close to what the New Car Features says.
Old 01-28-11, 10:16 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Well, for the Supra, 3500 lbs is just one of the many I have seen. 3505 lbs is the other I have seen. The highest I have seen is 3620 lbs. Automatic is listed around 3515 lbs.

With a base official weight of 3417 lbs, easily with a few options, it could go over 3500 lbs. I just don't see the big deal.

Besides, that was a different era over 20 years ago. Nowadays, with all the luxury amenities and safety standards, even a LP570-4 superleggera stripped out including sound deadening weighs close to 3600 lbs. LFA is only 177 inches long, which is even shorter than a compact car like a Civic or Corolla these days.

The front engine mid-ship layout also needed innovations like the torque tube and counter gearset and placing the radiators all the way in the back etc.

The only way to make a car weigh 3200 lbs these days is through Porsche's method on the GT3 RS of stripping out everything from the car. Lexus gives the option to user to opt out of all the luxury amenities to get the lowest possible curb weight.

LFA's 3260 lbs weight is probably through deletion of many luxury amenities, which I am sure almost no buyer did.

C&D also said the turbos were different sizes and the wing was functional, all things we know are not true. I trust what I saw in the New Car Features because it exactly matched my car. I never trust the magazines because they're always (especially C&D) screwing it up by having some idiot editor make things "look" better (or worse depending on the make).

If you read carefully, the page I posted is for US and Canadian spec cars. The other page covers the entire range of production for the world. US cars will weigh very close to what the New Car Features says.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-29-11 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-29-11, 02:46 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With regards to curb weight, the official LFA site lists curb weight as ranging between 3263-3483 lbs.

I would not judge or criticize the LFA for a high curb weight because the curb weight can vary. Will the US or Canada see 3263 lbs curb weight LFAs? Maybe not, but some part of the world will see LFAs with such curb weights.
Old 01-31-11, 12:48 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm wondering what details can be given as to what options will be there or not with the 3263lbs. weight. I'd guess maybe a stereo delete or maybe the Nurb. edition with the fixed rear wing? Who knows. I still think they'll all come with a good deal of plush to them.

Quick Reply: LFA Launch Control details