LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA Nürburgring Package to Debut at Geneva Auto Show (March 3rd, 2011)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-11, 04:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Actually it's safe to say the difference would be zero there because all Nurburgring lap times are done with running starts.

Top Gear lap times, on the other hand, will benefit hugely from a better launch, as they always start the laps with the cars standing.
good point, totally forgot about that
Old 02-25-11, 04:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by gengar
Also, keep in mind that a lot of those 0-60 times are bunk seeing as many (most? all?) US magazines measure it with a foot of rollout.

Ya, I don't care at all about launch control. The way I see it, launch control only exists because of spec-chasing manufacturers and a mindset previously left only in the realm of internet fanboys. What is it really useful for from a practical standpoint - 1/4mi drags and wannabe racers at stoplights? I have interest in neither. I posted before that I probably will never use it on my LFA, so I'd rather they just left the system out.

Nah, I didn't think you were saying that at all. I was just pointing out that's how Lexus advertised it. And it's probably not a bad idea, as I assume many of the attendees are not familiar with driving supercars at anywhere near the limit (just as they are not in other factory-sponsored exotic driver training programs, like Ferrari's programs).
yes, i totally agree with you. even with my m3 i don't give a rat *** to people trying to drag me at stop light. it's pointless. acceleration is important, and a reasonably good launch is crucial too. but other than that... 0-60 is just that, advertising.

you are also right, exotic owners a lot of times don't necessarily translate to pro drivers. in fact i start to notice a lot of them aren't. i was at the lfa track day seeing people in isf chasing the instructor, and then in lfa chasing the instructor. seeing how they drive, their track lines, and speed, i really had second thought about what they want out of their cars, is it the performance, or just the exclusivity / exotic feeling.

gengar i really look forward to your review since you seem to be a pro driver who's into tracking events. i am really more interested in the true performance of this car overall than how cool it looks on the street
Old 02-25-11, 04:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS

I have been saying that for the longest time. S001 are weak tires for such an extreme car. Lexus chose it because it offers good wet traction as well.

All the serious hardcore track cars 599 GTO, GT2 RS, GT3 RS, LP570-4 etc. come with super sticky rubber like the Pirelli Corsa, Dunlop Sport GT Maxx 600 or Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.
same here, i really want to see how the lfa would do using the ps2 (just to be the same as the 458). the cups will be better, but i am more interested in seeing apple to apple (although yes, ps2 has special setup for the 458. but lexus was the one dropping the ball to begin with). i want to see how much, if at all, difference the tires do.
Old 02-25-11, 04:37 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Launch control is used in a lot of forms of racing. Especially F1. Getting a good start can mean positions made up in the first lap, at the first corner. But besides racing. It's about good for showing off and 0-60 times for bragging rights. It's still an interesting aspect though. And I do wonder how these new 070 Bridgestone's will do. If they are R compound then the LFA is looking at some serious tires. If they're regular, I still say they'll be much better than the S001's.
Old 02-25-11, 04:53 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ As stated, the photos show just the RE070's ... no R's

Old 02-25-11, 04:55 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
gengar i really look forward to your review since you seem to be a pro driver who's into tracking events. i am really more interested in the true performance of this car overall than how cool it looks on the street
Nah not a pro at all - in fact I'd say my track experience is on the low side and I honestly consider myself a beginner... but yes definitely an enthusiast. The only "real" track I've ever done is Laguna Seca - I don't really consider a lot of the membership club tracks, like Spring Mountain or Autobahn, to be "real" tracks. This is not a dig at all at those tracks - but many of these membership club tracks lack challenging elements such as elevation changes, technical/interesting corners, etc. That's why I'm a bit nervous about Infineon, but of course looking forward to it immensely.

Originally Posted by TF109B
Launch control is used in a lot of forms of racing. Especially F1.
Launch control systems are not allowed under F1 regulations.

Last edited by gengar; 02-25-11 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-25-11, 06:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Nah not a pro at all - in fact I'd say my track experience is on the low side and I honestly consider myself a beginner... but yes definitely an enthusiast. The only "real" track I've ever done is Laguna Seca - I don't really consider a lot of the membership club tracks, like Spring Mountain or Autobahn, to be "real" tracks. This is not a dig at all at those tracks - but many of these membership club tracks lack challenging elements such as elevation changes, technical/interesting corners, etc. That's why I'm a bit nervous about Infineon, but of course looking forward to it immensely.

the way i see it, the limiting factor is always the driver. so going to track events with instructors is always great, coz' you improve as a driver. it can even be a simple track but you just learn how to find the line and the details. imho you can only find the true fun in a car if your (driver's) level is close to the capability of the car.

since you have the isf, i know this might sound like a plug, but you should really try the bmw m school as well. i am not saying it's the best, but it's easily one of the best. if you are driving enthusiast, you are going to love it. and after that, you will appreciate your F that much more
Old 02-25-11, 08:55 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,474 Likes on 1,779 Posts

The one and only reason why F1 removed launch control in 2005 was officially to cut back costs. Nothing else.

Regardless of launch control, like I said before, straight line acceleration is as critical as driving dynamics, handling, chassis dynamics and balance to run the fastest laps possible unless it is a very small auto cross circuit.
Old 02-25-11, 10:25 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

They may not have Launch Control in terms of the wording. But trust me, they have it, or a launch system, or anti stall system that allows the cars to get off the line and keep traction. You know as well as I do that F1 gets by things by the wording of the rules.
Old 02-26-11, 09:36 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been saying that for the longest time. S001 are weak tires for such an extreme car. Lexus chose it because it offers good wet traction as well.
Then that would kind of negate the 3 second advantage it put on the gallardo at the top gear track wouldn't it? I don't think the S001 are geared for wet weather handling, rather just being a better version of an all round tyre.

Also, I'm not convinced in the Superiority of the RE070. There are much better tyres out there. I don't think they'll be much better than the S001s, although I sincerely hope I'm wrong about that.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ As stated, the photos show just the RE070's ... no R's
^ What he said.

That is correct. They are not "allowed"

The one and only reason why F1 removed launch control in 2005 was officially to cut back costs. Nothing else.
It was not a cost issue. It was a regulations and sporting issue. Quite a bit to get into here, but the point is, nobody is arguing the validity of LC as a useful tool in a real race.
Old 02-26-11, 12:12 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Your stating this as if I already didn't know...
Didn't mean to give you that impression. Sorry! I sometimes get passionate in discussion because I find logic > any marketing material
Old 02-26-11, 12:24 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

From the comments on tire rack these tires seem to be pretty good. I'm sure they're better than the S001's or else they wouldn't have put them on the Nurb edition. They did say dedicated high grip tires, right? As long as they're better or a step or two above the S001's, this LFA should do wonderous things. Even with the S001's the 'regular' LFA still held corner speeds higher than the 458 Gallardo GTR SLS etc.
Old 02-26-11, 01:26 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Wait one minute. If the regular LFA did higher cornering speeds than the 458 and others and still fell short on the overall time, it's not really the tires that's holding it back, is it now? This has been the crux of your argument correct?
Old 02-26-11, 04:15 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
Wait one minute. If the regular LFA did higher cornering speeds than the 458 and others and still fell short on the overall time, it's not really the tires that's holding it back, is it now? This has been the crux of your argument correct?
If I remembered correctly, the LFA loss out on straight highspeed sections to the 458, and the argument was if the car had stickier tired, then Lexus could dial in less drag on the spoiler (if possible), and that would be a win win situation.
Old 02-26-11, 04:45 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,474 Likes on 1,779 Posts

Yes, most companies are smart enough to put dedicated track tires such as Michelin Pilot Super Sport, Pirelli Corsa or Michelin Pilot PS2 tires (with outer shoulders from the super-slick Pilot Cup tires). Then they offer customers a choice of more street-oriented tires at no cost.

The main reason why LFA had cornering speeds higher than all those cars were due to the carbon fiber stiffer chassis and much more downforce. On the straights, the grip was not nearly as good in the high speed sectors.

That is why they are categorized 'Max performance tires' while the other tires I mentioned are categorized 'Extreme performance tires', which is one level up in terms of dry traction.

I don't know enough about the RE70 and how they stack up on the race track, but S001 are weak tires when it comes to extreme track performance, but they offer more wet and all-weather traction than any of these other tires.

Still with, stickier comparable track tires such as, Pirelli Corsa, Pilot Super Sport or Sport Maxx GT 600 tires, LFA can only put down better track numbers.

Originally Posted by TF109B
From the comments on tire rack these tires seem to be pretty good. I'm sure they're better than the S001's or else they wouldn't have put them on the Nurb edition. They did say dedicated high grip tires, right? As long as they're better or a step or two above the S001's, this LFA should do wonderous things. Even with the S001's the 'regular' LFA still held corner speeds higher than the 458 Gallardo GTR SLS etc.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-26-11 at 05:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA Nürburgring Package to Debut at Geneva Auto Show (March 3rd, 2011)