LFA Model (2012)

First ever Lexus LFA Launch control demonstration 0 - 260 km/h

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 07:22 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are very dense aren't you? Do you have a clue on how drag racing works? Here, I'll use your logic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LGE3...eature=related

If the Italia is equal to the SLS and the SLS is quicker than the LFA, then the Italia must also be quicker than the LFA. It has to be true, right? The video says so.

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
That is correct. There is absolutely zero evidence that 458 Italia is less than low-11 seconds in the 1/4 mile.
Old 02-16-11, 07:36 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Notice despite having a single clutch, the LP550-2 never loses any ground to the 458's so-called superior dual-clutch during shifts. The pull is just linear. 458 wins the first race and then loses the other two to the 550-2.
The only thing that video proves is that the larger engined Balboni is dead even with the smaller engined Italia. The outcome of that race depended on who got the hit first. That gearbox is superior in every single way to any e-gear out there. You can rely on a video of how the gearbox performs, but I've shown you with several charts DSG's undeniable advantage.
Old 02-16-11, 07:37 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
You are very dense aren't you?
jpvarghese, exit this thread please.

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Fanboyism is really blinding you isn't it?

Guys, one more time before the thread gets closed... knock off the personal commentary.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-16-11 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-16-11, 08:30 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
Nothing that affects the dynamics of the car is stuff that hasn't been done before. Dynamics, as in, the car in motion. Everything else you mention is valid. There are quicker versions of the same type of gearbox. 200 ms is slow for today's standards when Ferrari is cutting close to 60 ms in the Scuderia. This would be considered archaic. Direct injection is found in all modern day cars and supercars and the Italia with a smaller engine utilizing it makes more power. This engine not having it would be considered archaic. Supercars today are using smart differentials. This car not having it would be considered archaic. Supercars today are using a magnetic suspension which allows for race and street compliancy. Not having it would be considered archaic. I am in no way suggesting that not having any of this is bad. Lexus may have their reasons for it, but for the general public, questions like this will arise. I am still very impressed with the car and would choose it over anything out there. It's appeal to me is how raw and 'basic' it is in the sense that it does so well without the electronics. My ONE and ONLY gripe is the 'slow' shifting gearbox. I put that word in quotes because 200 ms isn't really slow, but it is considerably slower than what everyone else offers.

For the first part of your question, the Italia's launch control works brilliantly without wheel hop and plants the rear end to give fantastic results. The double clutch gearbox, magnetic suspension, and the engine placements helps with off the line traction. This gives consistent straight-line results. As much as I'm aware of, the car has not hit 10's, but cars with traps speeds that high do.

We can only agree to disagree then. No, not ALL supercars currently have direct injection. That is simply incorrect. Not ALL supercars today have "smart" differentials or magnetic suspensions.

Since we're talking about only things related to dynamics or being in motion, I already mentioned the independent electronically controlled throttle bodies, the unique acoustic tuning of the car, and the electric brake booster. Yes, all of these DO have to do with the car "being in motion" or "dynamics" as you put it. Sure, you can rev the car while in park, but everything I mentioned specifically comes into play while the car is in motion.

Anyways, moving on, thank you for answering my question. So no production 458 has yet to hit 10s in the 1/4 then, despite the high trap speeds. When we see production 458s doing 10s in the quarter, I will gladly acknowledge that .
Old 02-16-11, 09:45 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,464 Likes on 1,771 Posts

Speaking of LFA launch control, this yellow was the only prototype last year that came from factory equipped with launch control system and from 0 - 60 mph and 0 - 100 mph, everytime it was consistently equally effective versus the AWD 525 HP R8 (Gallardo 5.2 Liter V10) with r-tronic launch control (which with r-tronic officially according to Audi with r-tronic has a 0-60 mph in 3.4 seconds and 1/4 mile in 11.6 seconds) and it has been validated in every track test.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/specs.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5Mf-...layer_embedded

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-16-11 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-17-11, 06:55 AM
LexFather

Guys there is no reason to make personal comments against one another. We can maturely debate pros/cons of the LFA. Let me be mindful of what makes our forum great is being open-minded and not drinking all the "kool-aid" so to speak.

Finally it is a SERIOUS violation to ignore moderator requests and argue with a moderators stance on forum rules in public.

As Dave stated please carry on without the personal commentary or this is closed.
Old 02-17-11, 02:17 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only thing I want to say is that the launch is botched in the first video and there should be at least half a second to a second found in the 0-100kmh time, the uploader even stated it was 4.4 seconds, he falted by not holding it at 4000rpm for 4 seconds as you can see. I got flagged and criticized for some facts that I pointed out, which wasn't nice oh well, just wanted to point that out, plus the track was a little damp as well.
Old 02-17-11, 08:37 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,464 Likes on 1,771 Posts

I will post it in the original post as well. They put up another teaser of Lexus LFA drifting through corner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYnXt...feature=relmfu
Old 03-04-11, 02:14 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lame driver. Even with the powerful noble M600 can´t win by much.