LFA Model (2012)

LFA or Porsche Carrera GT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-11, 10:38 AM
VicsIS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say pick what your more interested in...I feel the LFA is very unique and beautiful but honestly I don't think its worth the asking price and the Carrera GT just isn't a fabulous car anymore..for that money you can get alot better. So in my opinion the Carrera GT will always show as a different league then the LFA. You want newer buy the LFA but if you want more presence stick to the Porsche but consider the 918 not the Carrera GT
Old 03-16-11, 11:44 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,774 Posts

918 will cost almost $1 million so no.

Originally Posted by VicsIS350
I say pick what your more interested in...I feel the LFA is very unique and beautiful but honestly I don't think its worth the asking price and the Carrera GT just isn't a fabulous car anymore..for that money you can get alot better. So in my opinion the Carrera GT will always show as a different league then the LFA. You want newer buy the LFA but if you want more presence stick to the Porsche but consider the 918 not the Carrera GT
Old 03-16-11, 02:10 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Carrera GT was produced in more than twice the numbers the LFA is. And when new it cost around 450K, sometimes around 500K. The LFA is a 'bargain' considering it's carbon fiber, limited to 500 examples, bespoke, the best and only SuperCar from Japan, and it's 375K.
Old 03-16-11, 02:15 PM
VicsIS350
Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
918 will cost almost $1 million so no.
oh ok I didn't know...but looked it up now...the Carrera GT is $20k more then the LFA but I know they are cars in different categories and if I recall correctly that car is in the elite class with the Veyron, Lambo M, Ford GT, Enzo, MB SLR...right? So $20k more to be considered top category I think it's best.

I'd like to see the LFA do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gtl8Ohk668

I don't think it can go up against a 997 GT2 either nor ZR1 both half cheaper but can hang with some of the best.....I'm not hating on the LFA personally I love it but price kills it to me.
Old 03-16-11, 02:29 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Turbocharged Supra's can spank that car, what is straight line acceleration to 185mph got to do with how a supercar performs? Each of these cars can hit 200mph, Weve seen videos of the LFA hit 175mph in about 30 seconds with Scott Pruett around an oval track. And? Supercars are more than straight line machines. You gotta have content and performance not just in a straight line, but around the track as well.
Old 03-16-11, 05:34 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can afford one of these cars, you can afford both of them....which would be my choice.
Old 03-16-11, 05:58 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus LFA is faster than both cars around the race track. The throttle response and torque all across the rev range. Bespoke, only 500, much more exclusive and the engineering and technology in the car is hard to beat. Which other car can generate that sound and rev up to 9700 rpm all day long without missing a beat??? Only true racing cars.

Due to a savagely fast transmission, I am sure Lexus LFA holds up very well in a straight line.

Even with an improper usage of launch control and 4.4 seconds 0-60 mph, massive drag/downforce from the wing, it hits 0 - 260 km/h in only 19.x seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AItzeT0J7pw

Originally Posted by TF109B
Turbocharged Supra's can spank that car, what is straight line acceleration to 185mph got to do with how a supercar performs? Each of these cars can hit 200mph, Weve seen videos of the LFA hit 175mph in about 30 seconds with Scott Pruett around an oval track. And? Supercars are more than straight line machines. You gotta have content and performance not just in a straight line, but around the track as well.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-16-11 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-16-11, 09:46 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS

Lexus LFA is faster than both cars around the race track. The throttle response and torque all across the rev range. Bespoke, only 500, much more exclusive and the engineering and technology in the car is hard to beat. Which other car can generate that sound and rev up to 9700 rpm all day long without missing a beat??? Only true racing cars.

Due to a savagely fast transmission, I am sure Lexus LFA holds up very well in a straight line.

Even with an improper usage of launch control and 4.4 seconds 0-60 mph, massive drag/downforce from the wing, it hits 0 - 260 km/h in only 19.x seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AItzeT0J7pw
I have three friends who own CGTs. I actually had five, but two crashed their cars within the first six months of ownership. The CGT has a very short clutch throw and bites very hard. It's a car that requires a lot of skill to drive well and properly finesse. Any new exotic owner can drive the LFA and make it look good around the track, where the CGT requires serious skill because it's a very lively car. The CGT is one of the most respected cars in exotic circles and always draws onlookers no matter where it goes. It's always in the pack with the fastest cars and it seems to attract very serious drivers, many with lots of track experience. The LFA hasn't yet built its own culture and that will come with time. Of the friends of mine that have CGTs all would never consider one as their only exotic so you'd never see a post of an either or decision as their only exotic.

Ignore the arguments about numbers built because there are far more Porsche enthusiasts than there are LFA enthusiasts with a very long culture history so given the current used prices of CGTs they should sustain their values very well. The LFA is still an unknown, and no matter how people want to speculate the future here, the CGTs a known commodity. No question the LFA has more cutting-edge technology and what the decision really comes down to regardless of all the stats people want to throw around here is how you feel after you've been out driving the car and which one still keeps your adrenaline pumping after a quick run to the corner store.

Because of the short throw of the clutch, you do have to check wear if you buy one. It's not a cheap fix either.
Old 03-16-11, 10:21 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

@Tommy-

I wonder sometimes why you have to diss the LFA. Every post it seems like you throw out there how the LFA isn't as good as something else because it isn't challenging. Or it doesn't do this. Or this has less HP compared to X car. The Carrera GT isn't 'hard' to drive. Every car has a learning curve.

You say ignore the # of models built, because Porsche has a bigger fanbase? Not only have Porsche been making cars like this for over 30 years but that's all they've made. The LFA comes out of nowhere from a company that did a Supra as it's sportiest car in recent memory, and blows the doors off those who drive and ride in it.

Opinions are one thing, but you seem to continually downplay anything the LFA achieves. Why can't you give credit where it's due? Is it that hard?
Old 03-16-11, 10:29 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus LFA's dynamics and handling that make even an amateur drive it fast easily are for no other reasons than great chassis and weight balance, suspension and chassis rigidity due to carbon fiber.

It is in the rawest form using a plain-jane Torsen limited slip differential without any fancy trick gizmos like electronic torque-vectoring differentials and AWD found in most of the competitors to correct the driver. Yet, it still has one of the highest cornering speeds. There is reason why it is a homologation street version of a car that was built to race around Nurburgring for several years.

@Tommy-

I wonder sometimes why you have to diss the LFA. Every post it seems like you throw out there how the LFA isn't as good as something else because it isn't challenging. Or it doesn't do this. Or this has less HP compared to X car. The Carrera GT isn't 'hard' to drive. Every car has a learning curve.

You say ignore the # of models built, because Porsche has a bigger fanbase? Not only have Porsche been making cars like this for over 30 years but that's all they've made. The LFA comes out of nowhere from a company that did a Supra as it's sportiest car in recent memory, and blows the doors off those who drive and ride in it.

Opinions are one thing, but you seem to continually downplay anything the LFA achieves. Why can't you give credit where it's due? Is it that hard?

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-16-11 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-16-11, 10:35 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

@Tommy-

Where am I dissing the LFA? This isn't an all right/all wrong debate about two cars. Someone's asking an opinion and I'm giving one. Sorry if I don't pray to the LFA or for that matter any exotic. I've posted before the LFA does somethings extremely well. It doesn't do everything extremely well. No car does. Get over it.
Old 03-17-11, 06:53 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TommyJames
It doesn't do everything extremely well. No car does. Get over it.
Why can't people understand this?
Old 03-17-11, 09:44 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Yes, we should ignore the number of CGTs made, since about 40% of them are totalled in the first 6 months probably just during regular driving. As time goes by, who knows how many more would meet the same fate.
I am now very disappointed with Lexus for making the LFA so driver friendly, that it would be hard for owners to crash them. Furthermore, based on the bullet proof performance/reliability of the early prototypes, no LFA owners would have to execute their cars in public due to frustration with malfunctioned engine. All these are pointing to a high percentage of the 500 cars continues to exist 30 years from now.
So, if you're looking for a rare car, or well known badge, go for the CGT. However, if you're driving it, be aware of the crash stats, and the high costs for maintenance. IMO, either car will leave you with a big grin on your face during and after the trips to the corner stores.

Originally Posted by TommyJames
I have three friends who own CGTs. I actually had five, but two crashed their cars within the first six months of ownership. The CGT has a very short clutch throw and bites very hard. It's a car that requires a lot of skill to drive well and properly finesse. Any new exotic owner can drive the LFA and make it look good around the track, where the CGT requires serious skill because it's a very lively car. The CGT is one of the most respected cars in exotic circles and always draws onlookers no matter where it goes. It's always in the pack with the fastest cars and it seems to attract very serious drivers, many with lots of track experience. The LFA hasn't yet built its own culture and that will come with time. Of the friends of mine that have CGTs all would never consider one as their only exotic so you'd never see a post of an either or decision as their only exotic.

Ignore the arguments about numbers built because there are far more Porsche enthusiasts than there are LFA enthusiasts with a very long culture history so given the current used prices of CGTs they should sustain their values very well. The LFA is still an unknown, and no matter how people want to speculate the future here, the CGTs a known commodity. No question the LFA has more cutting-edge technology and what the decision really comes down to regardless of all the stats people want to throw around here is how you feel after you've been out driving the car and which one still keeps your adrenaline pumping after a quick run to the corner store.

Because of the short throw of the clutch, you do have to check wear if you buy one. It's not a cheap fix either.
Old 03-17-11, 10:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

@Tommy-

tommy was just posting his opinion. as you have stated many times yourself, everyone is there to state their opinions. if you have anything personal please feel free to pm tommy directly, but please do not put that out on the forum anymore. tommy has stated in a few places about what he thinks the lfa is good and bad in.
Old 03-17-11, 10:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
Why can't people understand this?
that's the thing. real buyers and owners usually don't think so (none of the cars i have owned are perfect). but often it's fans who think so

Quick Reply: LFA or Porsche Carrera GT?