LFA or Porsche Carrera GT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-11, 10:47 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
@Tommy-

I wonder sometimes why you have to diss the LFA. Every post it seems like you throw out there how the LFA isn't as good as something else because it isn't challenging. Or it doesn't do this. Or this has less HP compared to X car. The Carrera GT isn't 'hard' to drive. Every car has a learning curve.

You say ignore the # of models built, because Porsche has a bigger fanbase? Not only have Porsche been making cars like this for over 30 years but that's all they've made. The LFA comes out of nowhere from a company that did a Supra as it's sportiest car in recent memory, and blows the doors off those who drive and ride in it.

Opinions are one thing, but you seem to continually downplay anything the LFA achieves. Why can't you give credit where it's due? Is it that hard?
Guys a reminder to use private message feature if you want to deliver a specific message to someone... we're talking about the car here, not the people discussing it.
Old 03-17-11, 04:49 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, wasn't trying to single him out or anything. Just seemed like the LFA being 'easy to drive' was a bad thing! I think its a good thing. That means the car is sorted out. And if it's easy to get comfortable with, that means it's a solid platform.
Old 03-17-11, 05:18 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, wasn't trying to single him out or anything. Just seemed like the LFA being 'easy to drive' was a bad thing! I think its a good thing. That means the car is sorted out. And if it's easy to get comfortable with, that means it's a solid platform.
How in the world is "easy to drive" a dis? Does that mean a car that is difficult to drive is a praise?
Old 03-17-11, 05:32 PM
BunthaKev
Rookie

LFA all the way. Looks sooooooo much sexier and is 100 times more livable. I heard the double clutch disk set up is really jerky in slow traffic conditions.
Old 03-17-11, 05:43 PM
BunthaKev
Rookie

Wink

Originally Posted by TommyJames
Where am I dissing the LFA? This isn't an all right/all wrong debate about two cars. Someone's asking an opinion and I'm giving one. Sorry if I don't pray to the LFA or for that matter any exotic. I've posted before the LFA does somethings extremely well. It doesn't do everything extremely well. No car does. Get over it.
THE LFA DOES EVERYTHING EXTREMELY WELL Give me a down fall other than price.
Old 03-17-11, 10:33 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyJames
How in the world is "easy to drive" a dis? Does that mean a car that is difficult to drive is a praise?
That's how you made it seem to me. Looked like you were saying since the LFA was 'easier to drive' that there was no challenge to it like the Carrera GT. What I find funny is that Chris Harris has said the opposite of that. Not that it's 'challenging' but that it can get scary. Kinda confused, I guess he drove it without the traction control.
Old 03-18-11, 10:21 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

That's how you made it seem to me. Looked like you were saying since the LFA was 'easier to drive' that there was no challenge to it like the Carrera GT. What I find funny is that Chris Harris has said the opposite of that. Not that it's 'challenging' but that it can get scary. Kinda confused, I guess he drove it without the traction control.
There are always more than one ways to view something. For example, the CGT is described as a lively car that required high level of driving skills to handle it; to me it sounds like this is a flawed design when compares to the LFA that has basically the same ingredients that were carefully thought out and put together. While the end products have similar physical attributes, with extensive testing/fine tuning, the LFA ends up being more accommodating to a wider range of driving skills, and that does not mean it is any less appealing to the pro drivers.
All I am trying to say is that Tommy is giving us pretty good insight on where the LFA stands amongst the exotics.
Old 03-18-11, 10:26 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
There are always more than one ways to view something. For example, the CGT is described as a lively car that required high level of driving skills to handle it; to me it sounds like this is a flawed design when compares to the LFA that has basically the same ingredients that were carefully thought out and put together. While the end products have similar physical attributes, with extensive testing/fine tuning, the LFA ends up being more accommodating to a wider range of driving skills, and that does not mean it is any less appealing to the pro drivers.
All I am trying to say is that Tommy is giving us pretty good insight on where the LFA stands amongst the exotics.
Perfectamundo!
Old 03-18-11, 11:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ok i am sure we can all move on already.
Old 03-18-11, 11:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

very well put

i haven't driven other exotics, but the lfa is super easy to drive by my definition. yes, the car can go crazy. heck, even my m3 can do stupid stuff if i am not careful. but as i have mentioned in my review, everything is so gradual, you seem to always have the chance to correct and hold back. unlike some other cars, it's either 1 or 0. when it goes, all you can do is pray
Old 03-19-11, 09:31 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
very well put

i haven't driven other exotics, but the lfa is super easy to drive by my definition. yes, the car can go crazy. heck, even my m3 can do stupid stuff if i am not careful. but as i have mentioned in my review, everything is so gradual, you seem to always have the chance to correct and hold back. unlike some other cars, it's either 1 or 0. when it goes, all you can do is pray
Just watch the Fifth Gear video where Tiff purposely pushed the LFA to the limits around Rockingham Track to see how crazy the car can become. Just when I thought he's totally lost it, he got the car back on the track going where he wants to go. Just imagine what'd happen when he tried that in an unforgiving exotic.
Old 03-19-11, 11:31 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

someone quoted something about the Porsche 918...i vote that

Wish I was stuck with this decision, but that is tricky. The LF-A is the new hotness, while the Carerra GT is a decent bit older now.
Old 03-19-11, 11:41 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

I think it really depends on your skill level and driving style. Unless you have some experience the CGT can get away from you in a hurry. The clutch uptake is very quick and the car has killed a lot of people. If you're looking for something that doesn't require as much out of the driver, I'd go with the LFA. This is NOT to say the LFA is a slouch at all. It's like anything, some want to drive a real challenge. I love the Ultimate Aero and it's WICKED fast, yet it requires a lot more out of a driver to not warp it around a tree so for me it's more than I want to deal with, yet some want that very thing. Of all the cars to compare the LFA and the CGT seem to different to be a realistic comparison.
Old 03-19-11, 12:58 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Yes, I remember it distinctly.

The throttle response in LFA is even sharper than that of the Porsche Carrera GT (since LFA uses 10 separate throttle bodies for 10 cylinders and all with their own computers) and also the carbon fiber chassis is so stiff that it makes LFA too sensitive to change in throttle inputs.

Tiff was simply having troubles modulating the throttle to drift around the corners since when power came on quickly, he would end up overpowering the rear wheels and when he let off the throttle to correct it, LFA would snap back the other way with the nose pointing towards the apex due to revs losing very quickly and the chassis reacting too quickly to changing throttle inputs.

Porsche Carrera GT's biggest challenge is handling it's 6 speed manual, which is too difficult to master. It is very on/off. Even a pro race car driver like The Stig (Ben Collins) ended up spinning it 6 - 7 times around tight turns before he could get a final powerlap down.

Of all the supercars, due to the character of the V10 in both cars with LFA having a more insane (possibly the highest strung engine ever found on an exotic car due to the 9500 - 9700 rpm rev limit) and stiff carbon fiber shell, Carrera GT is the closest car LFA can be related to.

Just watch the Fifth Gear video where Tiff purposely pushed the LFA to the limits around Rockingham Track to see how crazy the car can become. Just when I thought he's totally lost it, he got the car back on the track going where he wants to go. Just imagine what'd happen when he tried that in an unforgiving exotic.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-19-11 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-19-11, 01:36 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Yes, I remember it distinctly.

The throttle response in LFA is even sharper than that of the Porsche Carrera GT (since LFA uses 10 separate throttle bodies for 10 cylinders and all with their own computers) and also the carbon fiber chassis is so stiff that it makes LFA too sensitive to change in throttle inputs.

Tiff was simply having troubles modulating the throttle to drift around the corners since when power came on quickly, he would end up overpowering the rear wheels and when he let off the throttle to correct it, LFA would snap back the other way with the nose pointing towards the apex due to revs losing very quickly and the chassis reacting too quickly to changing throttle inputs.

Porsche Carrera GT's biggest challenge is handling it's 6 speed manual, which is too difficult to master. It is very on/off. Even a pro race car driver like The Stig (Ben Collins) ended up spinning it 6 - 7 times around tight turns before he could get a final powerlap down.

Of all the supercars, due to the character of the V10 in both cars with LFA having a more insane (possibly the highest strung engine ever found on an exotic car due to the 9500 - 9700 rpm rev limit) and stiff carbon fiber shell, Carrera GT is the closest car LFA can be related to.
I disagree. I found the LFA's power band to be extremely manageable because the car remains so well balanced regardless of what you do. It didn't upset all that easily and while the car revs very quickly at neutral, compared to the SV it feels downright sluggish, but there is a big difference in HP. I also disagree that it's closest to the CGT. I don't get that one at all. I can't think of two cars that are further apart.

I'd say that the LFA is very closely matched with the Scuderia and the Balboni in terms of both balance and response, with the Scuderia feeling very similar. The CGT is in a category all its own and there is nothing like it which is why collectors like it. Even skilled drivers have a very hard time with the CGT on actual road conditions where the car tends to bite very hard if something goes wrong. I can't even imagine the logic of considering the LFA and the CGT as one or the other. That would be like comparing a Lexus LS460 and a Land Rover. Yea they are both luxury vehicles but that's where it ends.

The LFA's strong point is its balance and predictability and it is one of the better well rounded cars out there. I've not driven the F458 yet so I can't say it's better, but Scuderia owners who have moved up to the F458 tell me it's even better balanced. The LFA is even better balanced the SV, but the SV is a brute by comparison, far more powerful at all times, and has a steeper curve to drive well.

You can quote technical differences all day and each manufacturer solves problems differently, but they all have strengths and weaknesses and until you get you butt in some of these cars, it's difficult to know what you're actually going to prefer.

Quick Reply: LFA or Porsche Carrera GT?