LFA or Porsche Carrera GT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-11, 10:24 AM
VicsIS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by TF109B
Turbocharged Supra's can spank that car, what is straight line acceleration to 185mph got to do with how a supercar performs? Each of these cars can hit 200mph, Weve seen videos of the LFA hit 175mph in about 30 seconds with Scott Pruett around an oval track. And? Supercars are more than straight line machines. You gotta have content and performance not just in a straight line, but around the track as well.
lol I can tell a Toyota preferred member Turbos/SCrd cars can whoop just about anything nowadays but the OP asked our opinion correct? The way one can modify there cars to keep pace or out perform the Super cars so can you on the LFA and CGT or any other super car right..it's all depending what you are willing to spend....I didn't put down neither the LFA or the CTG all I said they were in different classes and that the LFA was way to pricey and that cars that are half price or less can fair better...my opinion was and still is to the OP not you nor Corolla...so why even question my post? I'll say it again I like both choices...but the LFA is way to pricey...and just like high priced MBs prices on the LFA will fall like all others do in it's class. I will believe that a 500 limit will happen if it's done but like most who claim it it's usually for sales thus usually never happens. I find both cars to have a unique look but the Porsche looks more exotic anyday to me. I wouldn't drive any exotic daily but I would an LFA because it seems like a regular car with exotic tendencies. Question: why would a new member (Feb 2011) with 2 post come to a Lexus forum to get our take on the 2...seems like a flame war and if so they must be laughing at us....lol
Old 03-21-11, 08:03 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

The longitudinal acceleration differences in the straight line you are feeling between both cars aren't due to "polar moments of inertia". I'll leave it at that.........

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Like mentioned before, in real life, Lexus LFA was proven to be a bit quicker than the 599 GTB HGTE in direct comparison tests by CarAndDriver despite what Chris Harris's deceptive mental perceptions were ("does not feel 599 quick"). Hence, my point.

A rigid chassis that has far less inertia to fight due to lesser weight and lower polar moment of inertia would always feel far less "dramatic" and "wild" than a chassis that is not as rigid.

I have studied university level physics so I think I understand "polar moments of inertia" much better than some. It is shift of weight (hence shift of center of gravity) from one extremity to the other. Side to side or one extremity to the other since center of gravity can shift in any direction.

"Polar moment of inertia" could either be side to side (under exertion of lateral forces) or from one extremity to the other (front to back and back to front).

Case in point, if the weight is more concentrated near the center of gravity inside the wheelbase, there is far less polar moment of inertia where inertia causes shift of center of gravity from side to side or front to back and vice versa.

Again, don't question my credibility. If you don't like what I write, just simply put my posts on ignore and think I am stupid.
Old 03-21-11, 08:45 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So if both cars get the same acceleration 'times' but one pulls harder, what's the explanation?
Old 03-21-11, 08:52 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

So if both cars get the same acceleration 'times' but one pulls harder, what's the explanation?
Could be different power bands. There is a good Road and Track data panel for the LFA and I've not looked for one on the CGT, but if it exists there may be some data there.
Old 03-21-11, 09:05 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

So you mean, power at a lower RPM, say it pulls almost immediately, but the LFA pulls more progressively, even though the cars are about equal? That's the only thing I can think of.
Old 03-21-11, 09:20 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,774 Posts

So you mean, power at a lower RPM, say it pulls almost immediately, but the LFA pulls more progressively, even though the cars are about equal? That's the only thing I can think of.
Due to one or both reasons:

1 - Linear powerband (constant rate of acceleration) vs Non-Linear powerband (surges and dips in the rate of acceleration)

A non-linear powerband (turbo cars or high low-end torque cars that surge in the mid range or peaky N/A high-revving car) will always "feel" quicker than a car that hits its powerband instantaneously and subsequently accelerates at a constant rate right up to redline due to a very flat and wide powerband.

Human mind only registers changes in the rate of acceleration. A constant rate of acceleration after the initial rate of change is no longer perceptible by human brain. In the case of LFA, which puts out almost 90% of its peak torque from 3000 - 9500 rpm, rate of change of acceleration is minimal.

2 - Chassis dynamics, torsional rigidity, suspension tuning in context of fighting heavy weight transfer front to back.

Like I stated before, a car with less weight transfer front to back and more weight concentrated near the center of gravity will always propagate less weight transfer to the extremities and have a far less "upsetting effect" hence you would get less "shoved" in your seat feel.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-21-11 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-21-11, 11:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

you can somewhat think of it that way. just think of my m3 vs isf. both are just about as fast if you floor it from stop. the isf seems to pull harder, push you into the seat more. the m3 seems to be on the mild side except you feel like it's never ending before next gear. in the end, both cars are shoulder to shoulder
Old 03-22-11, 02:20 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Powerband. The M3 and ISF are great examples. Both weigh about the same and have about the same peak hp. So with similar peak power/weight, they should have the same theoretical "times". The larger motor of the ISF contributes to a fatter powerband, meaning there is more available power at any rpm than the high strung M3, but they peak at about the same. You will only feel the effects of the larger motor from low to mid engine speeds under off/on throttle situations. When you are going through a run and shifting at redline, avg peak power is about the same, so overall acceleration should be the same. This is no different in a car like the LP when compared with the LFA.

Last edited by jpvarghese; 03-22-11 at 02:28 AM.
Old 03-22-11, 01:33 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

That's what I figured. Just wanted to get some opinions and confirmation on how everyone else felt about it. I haven't driven cars of this caliber before so I can only guess. There was an interesting discussion going on over on Motortrend's forums about the LFA's engine and other comparable cars like the Lambo, SLS, 458, Viper etc. One guy knew what he was talking about and was trying to explain why the engine in the LFA was better than having a engine like that in the viper- they both being V10's. He got called a troll a lot, outside of club lexus the LFA is everyone's favorite car to pick on. I don't pretend to know a lot about cars of this magnitude. I just take interest in them because I like speed and I like Toyota.
Old 03-22-11, 02:05 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Any new car and brand will get picked on until opinion leaders in that car community start buying them. Until that happens they are off on their own. It's human nature. Lexus did it to themselves by making all these lofts pronouncements about selecting buyers. It seriously dissed the very guys who write the checks. It's been hashed over on forms for over a year now. It's hard to miss. I'll go look for the forum and say some good words about the LFA.
Old 03-22-11, 06:57 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyJames
Any new car and brand will get picked on until opinion leaders in that car community start buying them. Until that happens they are off on their own. It's human nature. Lexus did it to themselves by making all these lofts pronouncements about selecting buyers. It seriously dissed the very guys who write the checks. It's been hashed over on forms for over a year now. It's hard to miss. I'll go look for the forum and say some good words about the LFA.
Theres no like button but i'll have to do this instead....
Old 03-22-11, 07:47 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
Theres no like button but i'll have to do this instead....
Agree. I hope to hear his color choices soon ( once he's reconciled the worthiness of the car ).
Old 03-23-11, 12:29 PM
kraven9
Lead Lap

My selling point is the overall look of the LFA and the interior/cluster. It's a MUST have, you will be spending most of your time inside anyway. I could just imagine toying with that cluster. That was my selling point when I bought my first IS is 07...the cluster.
Old 03-28-11, 01:27 PM
cenix
Driver

i'd take the lfa. many years ago i would've taken the carrera gt.
Old 03-28-11, 03:18 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

One way to examine it is torque to weight ratio at various rpms. This is the only real weakness of the 1LR-GUE in the LFA chassis especially when comparing it to other vehicles with turbocharged engines or ridiculously high displacement, and the LFA is by no means particularly lightweight. The torque to weight ratio at lower rpms is probably pretty similar to say, an Evo X. I think I also commented that the incredibly flat torque curve gives a perception of smoothness in acceleration so there isn't an overwhelming sense of brutality like in some other vehicles.

But you can't have it both ways. Either razor sharp throttle response on probably the flattest torque curve we've seen out of a 9300rpm cutoff engine (not to mention a screaming F1-derived 4.8L that sounds amazing), or you can have better torque to weight and more brutality.

Originally Posted by kraven9
My selling point is the overall look of the LFA and the interior/cluster. It's a MUST have, you will be spending most of your time inside anyway. I could just imagine toying with that cluster. That was my selling point when I bought my first IS is 07...the cluster.
Let me know if you want me to do any videos for you with any dash features you want to see. Not like I'm driving the car these days anyway...

There was an interesting discussion going on over on Motortrend's forums about the LFA's engine and other comparable cars like the Lambo, SLS, 458, Viper etc. One guy knew what he was talking about and was trying to explain why the engine in the LFA was better than having a engine like that in the viper- they both being V10's.
The Viper V10 isn't even 72°, I mean seriously, does the discussion even continue after that? What a joke.

... outside of club lexus the LFA is everyone's favorite car to pick on.
It's nothing new - people similarly love to hate the IS F just because it has a Lexus badge, and it was bashed everywhere when it was first introduced. The LFA has even been dogged by some press outlets (such as CAR, which gave the SLS the nod in the comparo solely on the basis that the LFA didn't behave like a Lexus), which only speaks volumes about the accolades it has been awarded such as evo's Engine of the Year. Even C+D's Mark Gillies admitted it himself - he loves the LFA, but can't get over the fact that it's a Lexus.

There will always be brand snobs, and it's only something worse in the current age, that of the internet fanboy. They like to think of Lexus as a boring and old brand, and they don't like their desired preconceptions being messed with.

You will get much different opinions from the more unbiased reviewers out there, not to mention all the amateurs, pros, and all the enthusiasts spanning the range in between that we've seen out at the track.

Last edited by gengar; 03-28-11 at 03:22 PM.

Quick Reply: LFA or Porsche Carrera GT?