LFA Model (2012)

LFA or Porsche Carrera GT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 03:42 PM
SUNLINE
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Default LFA or Porsche Carrera GT?

Trying to choose between the two. Similar price points. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Old 02-28-11, 03:53 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are serious, I think the LFA is a better packaged, and more focused car. It doesn't have 600-odd horsepower, but if you were to read the reviews, not a single exotic comes close to the experience it (LFA) delivers, thus far. This has been fairly consistent across the board. It's a race car for the road with amennities found in a luxury road car. Read this about the Carrera GT.
Attached Thumbnails LFA or Porsche Carrera GT?-porschefuture2.jpg  
Old 02-28-11, 03:54 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you in the position to purchase an LFA? Can't tell you what to do with your money. But I'd go with the LFA, newer car, first car from Toyota in this price point. But the Carrera GT is a great car.
Old 02-28-11, 03:56 PM
askhao
Driver School Candidate

carrera gt
Old 02-28-11, 04:12 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Both are really great cars. The Carrera GT is a bit more "wild" in terms of handling. The handling on the Carrera GT is a bit more unpredictable, and can be more dangerous at high speeds than the LFA.

With that said, both cars provide a similar experience in terms of having scream V10 engines. The LFA does have a more luxurious and comfortable interior.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 02-28-11 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-28-11, 04:28 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

They both have a very similar and exciting powerplant, but functionally the cars are rather different - especially with the Porsche being a manual and MR around 42/58, and the Lexus being a semiautomatic FR around 48/52. The Porsche wins big in that it is lighter and makes more power, although the LFA does seem like it'll win in cornering dynamics - part of which probably owes to the Carrera GT being one of its design targets and the LFA exceeding it in chassis rigidity.

Having gotten to sit in both cars, I will say one area the LFA definitely wins is the interior. The Carrera GT's is not attractive and I also hate the fact that beneath the center console is just empty space (a huge hole, essentially - but maybe that is the design philosophy that gives it the weight edge over the LFA, haha). Porsche obviously went for simplicity, which is fine and perhaps even preferable on such a vehicle, but I just think they missed on execution. Also, if you decide on the Carrera GT, be aware that the seats came in two sizes. I sat in a model that the owner told me was the narrow size, and it was quite a snug fit for me.

The LFA definitely sounds better, and it'll also be more exclusive, if that matters to you. We'll have to see on LFA maintenance costs - I recall Carrera GT owners complaining that a clutch replacement runs around 30k. Of course, maintenance costs may not be important either.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these cars.
Old 02-28-11, 04:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

curious, how much do the gt run nowadays?
Old 02-28-11, 04:46 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Ofcourse, Lexus LFA would be my choice.

Porsche Carrera GT is one of the greatest supercars of all times. However, it is now 7 years old. It was great and innovative at its time, but now Lexus LFA packs technology and engineering Porsche Carrera GT just does not have.

Porsche Carrera GT was stripped of most luxury items. The interior of Porsche Carrera GT is incredibly dated now.

CGT also is prone to the carbon fiber turning yellow issue, which is very well documented and Porsche refused to honor the warranty on this issue. Lexus is a Lexus. It will have the quality, refinement and durability of any Lexus despite being a 9500 rpm screamer.

Their V10 are extremely close in the sense both have incredible throttle response and also incredibly low mass inertia. However, Lexus LFA is a much more higher revving model that touches nearly 10,000 rpm.

Outside both cars sound equally amazing. Inside the cabin, Lexus LFA sounds infinitely more amazing since LFA revs up to 9500 - 9700 rpm while Carrera GT was rev limited at 8400 rpm.

LFA spins up very quick, but a lot higher while Porsche Carrera GT was also just as quick revving however, did not rev as insanely high.

While, Porsche Carrera GT is a 6 speed manual, Lexus LFA although with less horsepower makes up for squeezing the most out of the engine through a very close and short geared fast automated manual transmission.

Lexus LFA also pulls 1.10 g lateral acceleration on the skidpad while Porsche Carrera GT even with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires never touched 1.00 g.

The slalom speed on the Lexus LFA was also higher than the Carrera GT.

p.s. To help you with your decision, I will put up a bunch of stuff so that you can make a clear comparison.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-28-11 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-28-11, 04:59 PM
LexFather

Starting tough threads like these with insanely tough choices should be a ban

I love the CGT, I mean I heart that car. It's V-10 purs nearly as well as the LFA to me. Still a beauty to this day.
Old 02-28-11, 05:55 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Do you want to follow beaten path for acquiring exotics?
Yes = CGT
No = LFA
Old 02-28-11, 07:00 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Some pictures:

Video comparison of laps in both cars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXQx3...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgKYmJPCW-M

Carrera GT in Ferrari festival at Ottawa, Canada:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmof77VzGro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o5pNk6Ft98

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-28-11 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-28-11, 07:16 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The CGT use to be my favorite car, but it's getting dated. I still think it looks more exotic (thanks to the long MR layout) than the LFA, but the LFA does have cooler gadgets.
Old 02-28-11, 07:26 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Was that the most boring photo you could find?

These look infinitely better.

Tough call, both amazing cars.
Attached Thumbnails LFA or Porsche Carrera GT?-porsche_carrera_gt_red-1440x900.jpg   LFA or Porsche Carrera GT?-cgt2.jpg   LFA or Porsche Carrera GT?-pic-11639.jpg  
Old 02-28-11, 07:29 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

It has to be a fair stock to stock comparison in similar every day natural light conditions to make it realistic. Most pictures are of modifed cars or in studio settings. That was my criteria.

2 of the 3 pictures you posted are modified cars. The stock black looks less nice than the yellow I posted.

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Was that the most boring photo you could find?

These look infinitely better.

Tough call, both amazing cars.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-28-11 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-28-11, 07:57 PM
SUNLINE
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Keep the opinions coming. I know it's a tough decision that's why I am reaching out for opinions. I will be trading in a 08 BMW M5 and a 96 F355 Spider and will use the new car on a daily basis, still keeping the miles under 5k per year. I find that my Ferrari sits in the garage too often and I want to drive the exotic more often. The one thing I like about the Porsche is the opportunity to take the targa top off, but realize this is also a hassle. The Ferrari top stays down most of the time because of the time it takes to get the cover on. So part of me wants the LFA and part wants the Carrera GT. It would be great to drive both, but that will realistically not be possible. The GT can be had for around 330K so about 45k cheaper and the prices have stabilized for now. The LFA, to my eyes, is extremely sexy and the exhaust note sounds the equal, or better, of the GT.

Quick Reply: LFA or Porsche Carrera GT?