LFA Model (2012)

InsideLine roadtrip with LFA, GT2 and GT-R (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11, 10:03 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
They should have done it on a proper track and multiple runs. I am sure it would have ended like the GT2 race where LFA would have won atleast half of the races.
I doubt the LFA will beat the GT-R in a drag race with any sort of consistency. AWD will do that for you - I mean, even an Evo X MR digs my IS F, and there's quite some discrepancy there in hp/tq unlike between the LFA and GT-R - and the torque curve on the GT-R also favors it off the line.

Frankly, the LFA shouldn't beat the GT2 RS in a drag race either. In the IL case, it's the GT2 RS' race to lose due to lack of driver experience.
Old 04-14-11, 10:05 AM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the LFA suspension walkaround, some of the posters were complaining how the LFA's suspension had nothing "special." They thought it should be more modern for a $375,000 car. What did they expect? The car performs as it should.

"LFA road trip blog just bring a lot of fan boyz in and unadulterated flamboyantly saying the car is best...

Be honest, the suspension is really of the caliber of what a $375k car should be these day?

Aventador and MP4-12C already seems better incoporated the race car suspension geometry (or push rod) with road car compliance and refinement. Also the way they construct seems a bit more new school approach.

The whole concept of LFA make me feel like the M5 E-60 approach. The whole engine concept feels like a race version of s85 but more durable. It's a High revving engine with not much torque, which BMW abandoned to make a way of turbo new M5. At the end of day, a driver we just really want a engine have good torque curve so it's easy to control, and good top end so it won't run out breath, turbo or not."
Old 04-14-11, 10:20 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

2012 Lexus LFA Road Trip: Does the Bike Fit?
Despite having a hatchback, there's no way to squeeze a bike back there. Not even if we took both wheels off.

They're fools for even trying this.
Old 04-14-11, 10:36 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
"Lexus should have given Nissan the $375,000 per car budget and they would have got a Veyron killer in return".
ha ha that is so simple minded. Why needs 375K when Toyota can just reintroduce a 1500 hp tt Supra to do the trick. I am sure they will sell alot of those too.
Old 04-14-11, 11:31 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Don't let anybody get in the way of how you take joy in your life.

Last edited by G Star; 04-14-11 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-14-11, 12:10 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thing is the gtr used l/c and you could hear it. It beats almost every car off the line. But seeing the LFA there with it w/o l/c is a testament. I'm sure once they hit the twists the LFA is right there and probably ahead.
Old 04-14-11, 01:21 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
Thing is the gtr used l/c and you could hear it. It beats almost every car off the line. But seeing the LFA there with it w/o l/c is a testament. I'm sure once they hit the twists the LFA is right there and probably ahead.
Since LFA's launch control was not being used, I still believe the run should have been done on the drag strip and atleast 4 - 6 runs. You would have seen progressively the GTR performing worse and worse since it is well known after the first two usages, the launch control does not work optimally.
Old 04-14-11, 01:46 PM
LexFather

I love the GT-R, I would own a GT-R, I think its fantastic. I have fapped over the GT-R since the R32 and love the older Skylines.

With that said bleep the GT-R, it is not a bleeping LFA competitor I don't give a bleep if it helped start the Big Bang and E=MC/GT-R= meaning of life.

Geezus Mother of God will people get that comparison out their bleeping heads. The two cars are apples to oranges.

Can I enjoy the Inside Line write-up? There is more engineering in the door handle of the LFA than the entire GT-R. The GT-R is built alongside the Skyline/G37 for crying out loud. It is nothing like the LFA.

At this rate lets all sell our cars, get a Honda Civic, slap in a LS1 and call it a life.

The hell is wrong with people.

Last edited by LexFather; 04-14-11 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-14-11, 01:53 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Amen.

The way I see it, GTR is known to pull 2.8 seconds 0-60 mph so if LFA was only 2 car lengths behind it in what looks like a 800 - 1000 feet race, that can't be a bad thing.

It is just that all these clowns love to promote GTR as the greatest thing since sliced bread and anything it is compared to becomes the devil.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I love the GT-R, I would own a GT-R, I think its fantastic. I have fapped over the GT-R since the R32 and love the older Skylines.

With that said **** the GT-R, it is not a ****ing LFA competitor I don't give a **** if it helped start the Big Bang and E=MC/GT-R= meaning of life.

Geezus Mother of God will people get that comparison out their ****ing heads. The two cars are apples to oranges.

Can I enjoy the Inside Line write-up? There is more engineering in the door handle of the LFA than the entire GT-R. The GT-R is built alongside the Skyline/G37 for crying out loud. It is nothing like the LFA.

At this rate lets all sell our cars, get a Honda Civic, slap in a LS1 and call it a life.

The hell is wrong with people.
Old 04-14-11, 05:11 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

No point in wasting breath talking about the GT-R. The fact is, the R35 GT-R is fragile piece of machinery that is designed only to go very fast *up to a point*.

The quote from O5RollaXRS's sig is perfectly applicable here:

"While GTR was built to put down A fast lap around Nurburgring, LFA was built to RACE around Nurburgring" - Pro race driver Leh Keen

In a head-to-head intense track competition over many laps, the LFA will easily beat the GT-R. Period. The GT-R will start to overheat, brakes will start to fade, and the car won't be able to go very fast consistently over a long term.

The R35 GT-R can only go very fast in short runs, that much is clear. The LFA is absolutely rock solid in terms consistency lap after lap, and the GT-R absolutely cannot compete with that. Also I am quite sure the LFA corners better than the GT-R.
Old 04-14-11, 07:30 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many that are discounting the GT R have even driven one?

The car is an amazing bang for the buck and easily tuneable for some ridiculous performance numbers. It is easy to drive and does things only cars multiple times it's price are capable of doing.

That being said, it is nothing like an LF A and not meant or designed as competition to it.

There will always be comparisons made between cars that are not being cross shopped. You can discuss how a Boss 302 will outperform an M3/IS F for a fraction of the price. Or a ZR1 vs. a 458. Or a GT R vs. 911 TT.

People buying these cars buy what they want because they want it, not because they need to be the fastest car in some given measure. gengar and 07gr can clarify if they feel inclined. I think gengar explained it pretty well in the other thread.
Old 04-14-11, 07:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
How many that are discounting the GT R have even driven one?

The car is an amazing bang for the buck and easily tuneable for some ridiculous performance numbers. It is easy to drive and does things only cars multiple times it's price are capable of doing.

That being said, it is nothing like an LF A and not meant or designed as competition to it.

There will always be comparisons made between cars that are not being cross shopped. You can discuss how a Boss 302 will outperform an M3/IS F for a fraction of the price. Or a ZR1 vs. a 458. Or a GT R vs. 911 TT.

People buying these cars buy what they want because they want it, not because they need to be the fastest car in some given measure. gengar and 07gr can clarify if they feel inclined. I think gengar explained it pretty well in the other thread.
I understand that but I mean a year later I think we get the point. We knew when the GT-R debuted that it was one of the all time greats in regards to performance and bang for the buck. No one in their right mind would dismiss the GT-R. The performance is staggering. That said The LFA and GTR are completely different period.

I love the GT2 RS and I mean everyone here knows I love Porsche's but why don't they compare that to the GT-R. The bottom line is, it is a 911, a base 70k 911 that is modifed.

The LFA needs to be compared with bespoke exotic cars, not bang for the buck cars, not super 911s, not single turbo Supras, not chipped BMWs, etc etc.

Quite frankly I'd be more interested at this point to see a LFA compared to a NSX-R if they want to compare Japan to Japan.
Old 04-14-11, 08:01 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The LFA needs to be compared with bespoke exotic cars, not bang for the buck cars, not super 911s, not single turbo Supras, not chipped BMWs, etc etc.
That's the point Mike. While maybe it should be, it won't be.

Exotic cars are out of the realm of possiblity for the majority of people, plain and simple. For this reason, there will inevitably always be comparisons based on performance that are a better "bang for the buck".

Those that can afford an exotic do not feel the need to justify it against anything else. Those that can't afford an exotic will try to poke holes in it's armour by finding strengths in cars that they might realistically be someday able to afford.

At the end of the day if budget wasn't a consideration and funds were unlimited, very, very few people would choose a GT R versus an exotic even though performance aspects can be close.
Old 04-14-11, 08:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
That's the point Mike. While maybe it should be, it won't be.

Exotic cars are out of the realm of possiblity for the majority of people, plain and simple. For this reason, there will inevitably always be comparisons based on performance that are a better "bang for the buck".

Those that can afford an exotic do not feel the need to justify it against anything else. Those that can't afford an exotic will try to poke holes in it's armour by finding strengths in cars that they might realistically be someday able to afford.

At the end of the day if budget wasn't a consideration and funds were unlimited, very, very few people would choose a GT R versus an exotic even though performance aspects can be close.
Great post and I agree with you. As a Lexus enthusiast though, its tiring to see the LFA compared to cars buyers don't compare it to. I appreciate IL doing the tests, don't get me wrong, and supplying the data and taking the opportunity to line the LFA up. I wish to see it against some other exotics though.

Funny though, I was reading somewhere and they made a statement that they can appreciate Lexus just giving the LFA to IL to drive how they want whereas Ferrari would never do such a thing. Chris Harris explained very well how many have lost respect for them in regards to posted performance numbers.

Lexus has been amazingly liberal with their 400k supercar. I can't think of any other car that expensive that so many people have had the opportunity to see, ride, drive etc etc.
Old 04-14-11, 10:18 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

GTR is still A LOT heavier and makes far less power to the wheels than the LFA. Updated GTR tipped the scale at nearly 4000 lbs. I believe a rolling start race would result in LFA beating the GTR. GTR launches much like the Turbo S with AWD supporting the low end torque.

Quick Reply: InsideLine roadtrip with LFA, GT2 and GT-R (merged threads)