LFA Model (2012)

InsideLine roadtrip with LFA, GT2 and GT-R (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11, 11:58 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
How many that are discounting the GT R have even driven one?

The car is an amazing bang for the buck and easily tuneable for some ridiculous performance numbers. It is easy to drive and does things only cars multiple times it's price are capable of doing.

That being said, it is nothing like an LF A and not meant or designed as competition to it.

There will always be comparisons made between cars that are not being cross shopped. You can discuss how a Boss 302 will outperform an M3/IS F for a fraction of the price. Or a ZR1 vs. a 458. Or a GT R vs. 911 TT.

People buying these cars buy what they want because they want it, not because they need to be the fastest car in some given measure. gengar and 07gr can clarify if they feel inclined. I think gengar explained it pretty well in the other thread.
No, I haven't driven it personally. Friends have, and they back up what reviews say; that driving the R35 is an uninspiring, artificial-feeling and almost sterile experience. This is due to the boatload of electronic wizardry that allows the R35 to perform as well as it does. Without the electronics, the R35 is just a big, heavy cumbersome boat of a "coupe".

Oh as for bang for buck, sorry but that has now passed too. The BIGGEST and IMO only strong reason for buying the R35 is now gone, as the Mustang Boss 302 offers performance that virtually matches the R35 at a much lower price. The Boss 302 Mustang is the new bang for buck leader on the market. Boss 302 is a fraction of the R35's price, so you are mistaken with your comments. You can also move up and get even more tuned Mustangs, or tune the 302 itself. The Mustang aftermarket is absolutely massive.

The R35 doesn't actually outperform a 911 Turbo S, it at most matches it. I don't need to talk about the Boss 302 beating the IS F or M3 when those are completely different classes. The Boss 302 beats the GT-R in bang for the buck, and both are mass-produced "super" sports cars/coupes.
Old 04-15-11, 05:40 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

This GT-R comparison has to stop. I'm inclined to believe that members of the automotive world are suffering from dyslexia. You cannot even compare the two cars at all, although the Nissan likes to be put up against everything else. These cars can't be any more than an apples to orange comparison. This fact is so unconvincing to the fanboys, that it's almost sad that they would ever call themselves enthusiasts. Seeing the comments on various threads makes me wonder where the intelligence has gone.

LFA fanatics aren't any better in the matter. All they have are excuses and whatever suppositions their brain cells can conjure up. It's ridiculous, really. I can accept the car as is and am perfectly happy with what it has accomplished. Overall, as a supercar, I think it has hit all the voids other cars of that caliber failed to fill. I think Lexus has successfully hit its goals with the project and I would bet that if any of the retards got behind the wheel of one, they would understand what the car is about. 552 hp and 11's in any car is NOT slow and is in fact pushing the limits of what is feasible on public roads in a RWD car. Wake up dummies!
Old 04-15-11, 07:19 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

People buying these cars buy what they want because they want it, not because they need to be the fastest car in some given measure. gengar and 07gr can clarify if they feel inclined. I think gengar explained it pretty well in the other thread.
I am a big fan of the GT-R too. I used be in the bang for the buck performance group as well. However, I am not sure how Lexus pushed my buttons with the LFA, I just really wanted that car when they promissed to deliver a supercar with the best/complete driving experience possible. It did not hurt when they said only 500 units are available to roughly 6 billion people.
I guess I have been following performance cars long enough to know that someone WILL create something faster than what's available today, so going down that route would be a losing battle. On the other hand, a true masterpiece work of arts is hard to surpass when you know its creators put their best effort into the end result. The intangible will be something I can enjoy for years without having to look over my shoulder for the next best thing. So there you have my summarized perspective on the LFA.
Old 04-15-11, 08:07 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

How many that are discounting the GT R have even driven one?
I've driven both. I know a lot of LFA fanatics here have never driven one or seen one in person....let alone a real GTR. People can talk about what they read or what they heard from a friend, but that doesn't really validate the true feeling of both cars.
Old 04-15-11, 08:18 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
No, I haven't driven it personally. Friends have, and they back up what reviews say; that driving the R35 is an uninspiring, artificial-feeling and almost sterile experience. This is due to the boatload of electronic wizardry that allows the R35 to perform as well as it does. Without the electronics, the R35 is just a big, heavy cumbersome boat of a "coupe".
It does have a ton of electronics that assist it. It is easier to drive than other supercars, but there is not denying the performance it puts down. The reality is most drivers aren't capable of driving high performance cars at their limits and the GT R allows them to get closer to that limit. I've driven it on the track and it is an amazing car to actually drive. Supercar performance, but certainly not on par on many other levels.

Oh as for bang for buck, sorry but that has now passed too. The BIGGEST and IMO only strong reason for buying the R35 is now gone, as the Mustang Boss 302 offers performance that virtually matches the R35 at a much lower price. The Boss 302 Mustang is the new bang for buck leader on the market. Boss 302 is a fraction of the R35's price, so you are mistaken with your comments. You can also move up and get even more tuned Mustangs, or tune the 302 itself. The Mustang aftermarket is absolutely massive.
Wtf are you talking about?

The Boss 302 does NOT perform virtually like a GT R. It is close to/matches an M3/IS F, not the GT R. A stock GT R spanks an M3 or IS F all over the place. The Boss 302 is a great bang for the buck but is not in the league of the GT R.

Have you seen the tunes available for the GT R. Not worth talking about tuned Mustangs or tuned GT R's anyways.

The R35 doesn't actually outperform a 911 Turbo S, it at most matches it. I don't need to talk about the Boss 302 beating the IS F or M3 when those are completely different classes. The Boss 302 beats the GT-R in bang for the buck, and both are mass-produced "super" sports cars/coupes.
You need to actually read what is written. First, where did I ever say Turbo S?

The GT R beats the 997 TT comfortably and is as fast or faster than the Turbo S on the majority of tracks.

Track 997 Turbo GT-R

Nordschleife 7:38.00 7:24.22

Sugo 1:38.74 1:34.65

Willow Springs - Streets of Willow 1:30.69 1:20.25

http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/p...gt-r_2011.html

Turbo S vs GT R here:

http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/n...7_turbo_s.html

Why wouldn't you talk about the Boss 302 vs. the E92 M3? That is the car that Ford specifically targeted and said as much. Just like Nissan put the bullseye on the back of the Turbo. (It competes less so with the C63/IS F as you're now talking coupe vs. sedan)

The Boss 302 only beats the GT R for "bang for the buck" for a lower price point. It isn't anymore of a bargain compared to the cars it competes with than the GT R is compared to the super cars it competes with.

I don't know why you're getting so bent out of shape about these comparisons. Like I said in my other post, right or wrong, they are going to happen. See 07gr's post above. People that buy these cars don't care about being the fastest in some measure that bench racers love.
Old 04-15-11, 08:24 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
I am a big fan of the GT-R too. I used be in the bang for the buck performance group as well. However, I am not sure how Lexus pushed my buttons with the LFA, I just really wanted that car when they promissed to deliver a supercar with the best/complete driving experience possible. It did not hurt when they said only 500 units are available to roughly 6 billion people.
I guess I have been following performance cars long enough to know that someone WILL create something faster than what's available today, so going down that route would be a losing battle. On the other hand, a true masterpiece work of arts is hard to surpass when you know its creators put their best effort into the end result. The intangible will be something I can enjoy for years without having to look over my shoulder for the next best thing. So there you have my summarized perspective on the LFA.
Thanks 07gr.

That's what I was getting at. Buyers in this market buy what they want regardless of better "bang for the buck" options.

Originally Posted by flipside909
I've driven both. I know a lot of LFA fanatics here have never driven one or seen one in person....let alone a real GTR. People can talk about what they read or what they heard from a friend, but that doesn't really validate the true feeling of both cars.
And you are very lucky to have had the amount of seat time in the LFA you have had Ryan.

I haven't driven an LF A but I can surmise from the reviews and reports of people that have driven it, that it is a very special car. Like I also mentioned in my other post, people will always make comparisons to supercars with "bang for the buck" cars, because most people will never be able to afford or drive the exotics.
Old 04-15-11, 10:41 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,780 Posts

That holds true for 99% of the people on the internet who call themselves "enthusiasts".

They have never driven the cars they argue with each other about. Most of it is bench racing using specs done and companies like Nissan releasing the official lap times fits into this picture perfectly (though, no one in the real world ever came remotely close to replicating those). Still a great tool for fanboys on the internet to bench race while mostly talking out of their a**es generalizing things based on one or two numbers. Nissan was smart enough to know it will build the reputation of the car even if it means it has no real world relevance and not even one of the most capable professional driver on the production car will ever be able to achieve that.

I find it an odd paradox while GTR sales are plummeting to an alarmingly low 38% of its peak sales with ownership mostly lasting less than 2 years, the GTR fanbois on the internet are as strong and as present as ever.

It is just the name of the game of arguing over the internet. Right now the biggest excuse for hating on the LFA is that just does not have the performance credentials to justify its cost according to the haters.

What we on this board on the contrary are saying (the small minority) is we challenge that thought that performance credentials tell all about an ultra high performance exotic. There is far more to it than performance credentials while the majority on the internet refuses to accept that calling it an excuse for lack luster performance credentials of the LFA (for the price) to become one of the greatest supercars of its times.

They are two different ways of looking at the same car. Both are subjective and it does not necessarily mean only one is correct and other is wrong.

This battle has been there for decades. Even in the early 90s, Nissan GTR R32, Ferrari 348, Toyota Supra and Corvette ZR1 were engaged in the same battle. However, there was no internet around at that time so no one remembers that.

Lexus LFA is my most favorite supercar at this time and one of the most favorite of all times. Ofcourse, in this world my fear is, majority ends up being the authority. Nissan certainly already has cemented its place in history. I am not sure if LFA is there yet. Since Lexus clearly stated their wish for it to be remembered as one of the greatest supercars of its era much like the 2000 GT, I just don't want LFA to become another Honda NSX that is completely forgotten and no one cares about, but much rather something like the Porsche Carrera GT, Maclaren F1, F40 or Enzo that are always remember as cars that were the best performance cars of their era all around.

Originally Posted by flipside909

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-15-11 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-15-11, 12:04 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I just don't want LFA to become another Honda NSX that is completely forgotten and no one cares about.
hey now.....there are ALOT of us who still LOVE and care about the NSX and if honda had EVER given that car any horsepower i think it would still be talked about more often today and i mean OEM power not the comptech supercharger or the Cartech twin turbo kit,the LoveFab Turbocharger System,the ScienceofSpeed Twin Turbocharger System,or even the Factor X Racing turbo kit, i mean raw OEM horsepower. IMHO this is one of the main reasons the NSX went no further than what it did,it lacked power to compete with its competitors. the NSX was one of the most superb handling vehicles i have EVER driven not to mention its visually appealing to me especially the later updated models with the newer style headlights and such (the NSX-R is a dream car in its own right)

with that said im not a gtr or any other fanboy....yes i do appreciate the g34 (much more than the g35) and the supra but the lfa is a whole other experience for me. i havent seen one in person or ridden in one but this car IMHO is the business. looks,power,class,etc etc....i have ridden in and driven a few ferrari's,lambos,etc but nothing impresses me more than the LFA lately (well except my holy grail car the McClaren F1) i hope one day just to be able to see one in person yet alone to even be allowed to ride in one....i would probably give a ******** to drive one even if its just around the block
Old 04-15-11, 12:13 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

The short answer is: the internet. Just look at what happened at IL in the past few days...

That holds true for 99% of the people on the internet who call themselves "enthusiasts".

They have never driven the cars they argue with each other about. Most of it is bench racing using specs done and companies like Nissan releasing the official lap times fits into this picture perfectly (though, no one in the real world ever came remotely close to replicating those). Still a great tool for fanboys on the internet to bench race while mostly talking out of their a**es generalizing things based on one or two numbers. Nissan was smart enough to know it will build the reputation of the car even if it means it has no real world relevance and not even one of the most capable professional driver on the production car will ever be able to achieve that.

I find it an odd paradox while GTR sales are plummeting to an alarmingly low 38% of its peak sales with ownership mostly lasting less than 2 years, the GTR fanbois on the internet are as strong and as present as ever.

It is just the name of the game of arguing over the internet. Right now the biggest excuse for hating on the LFA is that just does not have the performance credentials to justify its cost according to the haters.

What we on this board on the contrary are saying (the small minority) is we challenge that thought that performance credentials tell all about an ultra high performance exotic. There is far more to it than performance credentials while the majority on the internet refuses to accept that calling it an excuse for lack luster performance credentials of the LFA (for the price) to become one of the greatest supercars of its times.

They are two different ways of looking at the same car. Both are subjective and it does not necessarily mean only one is correct and other is wrong.

This battle has been there for decades. Even in the early 90s, Nissan GTR R32, Ferrari 348, Toyota Supra and Corvette ZR1 were engaged in the same battle. However, there was no internet around at that time so no one remembers that.

Lexus LFA is my most favorite supercar at this time and one of the most favorite of all times. Ofcourse, in this world my fear is, majority ends up being the authority. Nissan certainly already has cemented its place in history. I am not sure if LFA is there yet. Since Lexus clearly stated their wish for it to be remembered as one of the greatest supercars of its era much like the 2000 GT, I just don't want LFA to become another Honda NSX that is completely forgotten and no one cares about, but much rather something like the Porsche Carrera GT, Maclaren F1, F40 or Enzo that are always remember as cars that were the best performance cars of their era all around.
Old 04-15-11, 12:13 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Correct. It is a double-edge sword where internet has both it's goods and bads.

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
The short answer is: the internet. Just look at what happened at IL in the past few days...

Yeah, I agree the handling was great. I would say NSX's biggest drawback that made it forgettable (in many people's minds) was lack of power.

I recently saw "BestMotoring" Japan video (circa 2002 - 2003) of of NSX-R versus Ferrari 360 Challenge F1 and the 360 completely destroyed the NSX-R in a straight line. In the same comparison, a 355 HP E46 M3 CSL put down similar acceleration numbers as the NSX-R (400 meters in 12.9 seconds).

Originally Posted by sakataj
hey now.....there are ALOT of us who still LOVE and care about the NSX and if honda had EVER given that car any horsepower i think it would still be talked about more often today and i mean OEM power not the comptech supercharger or the Cartech twin turbo kit,the LoveFab Turbocharger System,the ScienceofSpeed Twin Turbocharger System,or even the Factor X Racing turbo kit, i mean raw OEM horsepower. IMHO this is one of the main reasons the NSX went no further than what it did,it lacked power to compete with its competitors. the NSX was one of the most superb handling vehicles i have EVER driven not to mention its visually appealing to me especially the later updated models with the newer style headlights and such (the NSX-R is a dream car in its own right)

with that said im not a gtr or any other fanboy....yes i do appreciate the g34 (much more than the g35) and the supra but the lfa is a whole other experience for me. i havent seen one in person or ridden in one but this car IMHO is the business. looks,power,class,etc etc....i have ridden in and driven a few ferrari's,lambos,etc but nothing impresses me more than the LFA lately (well except my holy grail car the McClaren F1) i hope one day just to be able to see one in person yet alone to even be allowed to ride in one....i would probably give a ******** to drive one even if its just around the block

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-15-11 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-15-11, 12:27 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah, I agree the handling was great. I would say NSX's biggest drawback that made it forgettable (in many people's minds) was lack of power.
yeah,we both seem to agree its lack of power was its killer....now had Honda made it with say 500-650 HP (i think this would have been about the output of the v-10 that was allegedly gonna be in the newest generation of nsx's that got scrapped)or even the powerplant that the Honda HSV-010 GT had in it,this was the car that replaced the NSX in the Super Gt series, (3,397 cc V8 producing 370 kW; 490 bhp) it would be a different beast altogether and we would probably STILL be talking about it and comparing to the LFA. either way i just wanted to say they not forgotten....just more kind of mumbled about now-a-days
Old 04-15-11, 02:13 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those super gt cars now share a common engine, 3.4litre v8s. Honda's is close to irl and alms engines, so it probably wouldn't be in a production hsv, it'd be cool if it did, toyota uses theirs in lms and super gt as well as formula nippon. LFA relation to this is beyond me, but whatever! I just wonder what tires the gtr is using?
Old 04-15-11, 04:12 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Since Lexus clearly stated their wish for it to be remembered as one of the greatest supercars of its era much like the 2000 GT, I just don't want LFA to become another Honda NSX that is completely forgotten and no one cares about, but much rather something like the Porsche Carrera GT, Maclaren F1, F40 or Enzo that are always remember as cars that were the best performance cars of their era all around.
Where do you get that the NSX is completely forgotten and no one cares? That is completely untrue. The NSX was and is still legendary. There are tons of sites just for NSX enthusiasts and they are still popular, used ones are still in very high demand which is why it has held its value so well. Why do you think there is so much interest in a future NSX and people have been so disappointed in Honda for not making another one and giving up on the almost finished V10 replacement? The NSX is often talked about on CL especially for people recommending or discussing high performance sports cars. It is the only mid engined exotic sports car that you can buy that will still hold up and still be reliable after thousands of daily driven miles and will not cost an arm and a leg to maintain. It changed the way high performance sports cars were made. The NSX-R still has a mystique and a huge amount of respect and desirability among sports car enthusiasts, people into Ferrari's, Porches, F1s still give it a lot of respect and it can still hold its own on the track with the newest cars with bigger modern engines making much higher hp.

As for your list of Legendary sports cars/exotics I agree with the F1(Gordon Murray chose the NSX over all other sports cars for the benchmark for how he wanted the F1 to drive and feel because he was so impressed after driving it) and F40 but I am not sure the Enzo and Carrera GT are up there with the F1, F40, 959, NSX, 288 GTO, now Veyron, etc despite how well they performed. As much as I love the Carrera GT I don't hear it mentioned or compared all that much anymore and the 911 GT2 RS has eclipsed it in most performance categories, even a 911 turbo S has it beat in many performance categories and enthusiasts still seem to favor the 959 over the Carrera GT when it comes to the most desirable Porsche. The Ferrari Enzo seems to have faded pretty quickly too and is outperformed by lesser better looking Ferrari's, the F40 and 288GTO seem to garner more respect and desirability despite them being much older.

Only time will tell how the LFA was received and its legacy. I don't think it getting compared to GTRs and GT2s right now is going to hurt its legacy, not every tester can come up with super expensive high performance exotics to compare it to each time so they chose cars with more availability to compare it to, the reason the LFA is compared so much to the GTR is because they are both top performance Japanese cars and the GTR puts up amazing performance numbers. I have a feeling if the LFA is directly compared to the Ferrari 458 and new McLaren sports car like many want, it is not going to do all that well since those 2 other cars are putting out superior performance numbers in most categories and cost less to boot. I am looking forward to some direct comparisons to those 2 cars.
Old 04-15-11, 05:31 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I did some forensic work on how the LFA was performing in Vegas.

So I compared these two videos here and you can see this European test LFA and the LFA video in Vegas. Both times LFA went up to 160 mph.

Euro LFA is MUCH faster on the order of 2.5 - 3 seconds to 160 mph in the European test than the production LFA it in Vegas.

0 - 160 mph in 21.x seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feLAk...layer_embedded

0 - 160 mph (255 KM/H) in 18.x seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiO1_U_UZls

What could possibly explain that? Vegas is 2000 feet above sea level at a much higher altitude. Ofcourse, we know well that at higher altitudes naturally aspirated engine lose power. Turbo cars don't or very negligibly lose power. LFA was much slower at high altitude.

Originally Posted by TF109B
those super gt cars now share a common engine, 3.4litre v8s. Honda's is close to irl and alms engines, so it probably wouldn't be in a production hsv, it'd be cool if it did, toyota uses theirs in lms and super gt as well as formula nippon. LFA relation to this is beyond me, but whatever! I just wonder what tires the gtr is using?

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-15-11 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-15-11, 05:36 PM
LexFather

Now we have people coming in a LFA thread to defend the Honda NSX....am I in bizarro world?

Some of you clearly are not following the LFA or forgot how well the LFA did in EVO's Car of the Year..the reviewers were 100% complimentary and it likely finished lower b/c Lexus took the car back before they completed the test.

I also can't really count any Ferrari test if Ferrari is involved since Chris Harris has explained what many knew. They basically send their team of engineers to do whatever they need to do to the car to win. Its not a case of the IL review where Lexus gives the keys and says "have fun". How can I rely on Ferrari results?

The LFA also won engine of the year.....how soon people forgot that.

Seems to me some people just don't want to give Lexus or the LFA the credit they deserve.

As most every review has stated, the LFA is the greatest car to come out of Japan, from anyone. Period. End of story.

Japans first true supercar

Quick Reply: InsideLine roadtrip with LFA, GT2 and GT-R (merged threads)