LFA Model (2012)

InsideLine roadtrip with LFA, GT2 and GT-R (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-11, 09:47 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rolla, I have another idea- the guys from Inside Line short shifted it around 8500rpm, and they don't know how to use the L/C or aren't allowed. They're clearly not the most intelligent bunch when it comes to using the LFA's features or shifting in the range where it makes most of its power.
Old 04-16-11, 05:00 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS

They have never driven the cars they argue with each other about.
That really holds true here. There are people fanatical about the LFA, but have really never experienced it, so in reality, they represent one end of the spectrum whereas there are pro-GTR people that represents the extreme other. It's no diffferent.

I did some forensic work on how the LFA was performing in Vegas.

So I compared these two videos here and you can see this European test LFA and the LFA video in Vegas. Both times LFA went up to 160 mph.

Euro LFA is MUCH faster on the order of 2.5 - 3 seconds to 160 mph in the European test than the production LFA it in Vegas.

What could possibly explain that? Vegas is 2000 feet above sea level at a much higher altitude. Ofcourse, we know well that at higher altitudes naturally aspirated engine lose power. Turbo cars don't or very negligibly lose power. LFA was much slower at high altitude.

Josh from IL's video clearly shows he shifted earlier than the Euro LFA in the video. There are also other factors to be considered. Weight of the driver, weight of the car (fuel levels), of course elevation and temperatures.

Hmmm do you know for a fact that test was done in Vegas? There are many open 2 lane roads in the Mojave Desert of CA where they can do these tests. If you've ever traveled I-15 from LA to Vegas, you know whats up. The elevation varies from below sea level up to 10,000 feet depending on what part of the Mojave you're at. I think at this point your assumptions are a little off.
Old 04-16-11, 06:26 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by flipside909
That really holds true here. There are people fanatical about the LFA, but have really never experienced it, so in reality, they represent one end of the spectrum whereas there are pro-GTR people that represents the extreme other. It's no diffferent.

Its old, tiring and pathetic. People bash Lexus no matter what for every which way. Oh they are so boring, bland, blah blah blah. Nevermind the GS, IS. Nevermind the SC 300/400. Nevermind L-tuned or F-sport. Nevermind the LS 460 sport. Nevemind when Lexus is first in a segment.

The IS F is by far the sportiest vehicle from a Japanese brand that isn't called NSX. It is clearly the sportiest Japanese sedan made today. They love bashing that too.

So here is Lexus who had the ***** and ability to make a true super car exotic. I mean we are talking bespoke from the ground up, a V-10 like no other etc etc etc

And people find a way to bash it and crap on it?

Then to make matters even worse Lexus has been super liberal with this exotic! Letting people ride in it, letting people drive it. Showing it all over the world. Who does that? What other exotic has this many events for people to see, feel, touch, drive it?

You would think these so called "enthusiasts" would say "its pretty incredible how Lexus is being very open with this car". Instead its "oh its not worth the price" and "oh it doesn't perform like it should" and "it took too long" and other crap that only people with the brain activity of gnome could possibly say.

I guarantee you these asshats would be beating off relentlessly if the LFA came from Nissan or Infiniit or Acura or Honda. Since it comes from Lexus, its some sort of problem. It has made heads explode that the brand that makes the best Japanese luxury sedan now makes the greatest Japanese sports car ever made.

How can ANYONE find this much fault in a 550hp V-10, CF, BBS wheel, Brembo brake, rear radiator duct, 9000+ redline, handles like its on rails, interior to die for, bespoke supercar is beyond me.

I do not recall any other exotic getting picked apart the way this has.
Old 04-16-11, 10:40 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Then to make matters even worse Lexus has been super liberal with this exotic! Letting people ride in it, letting people drive it. Showing it all over the world. Who does that? What other exotic has this many events for people to see, feel, touch, drive it?

You would think these so called "enthusiasts" would say "its pretty incredible how Lexus is being very open with this car". Instead its "oh its not worth the price" and "oh it doesn't perform like it should" and "it took too long" and other crap that only people with the brain activity of gnome could possibly say.

I guarantee you these asshats would be beating off relentlessly if the LFA came from Nissan or Infiniit or Acura or Honda. Since it comes from Lexus, its some sort of problem. It has made heads explode that the brand that makes the best Japanese luxury sedan now makes the greatest Japanese sports car ever made.

How can ANYONE find this much fault in a 550hp V-10, CF, BBS wheel, Brembo brake, rear radiator duct, 9000+ redline, handles like its on rails, interior to die for, bespoke supercar is beyond me.

I do not recall any other exotic getting picked apart the way this has.
I thought it pretty much changed people mind for the good when they get to drive/ride in the LFA where it can show off its true purposes i.e. on a track. If you're referring to the people in the 5 minutes drives on IL, then there is nothing Lexus can help there. One of them seemed to dislike the LFA just because he has no hope of ever buying one.
I do agree that people love to hate Toyata/Lexus simply because of their own successes in the market place.
Old 04-16-11, 11:03 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Also, you can see LFA is revving up slower in the IL video than it is in the Euro video so even if they shifted near 9500 rpm, I think it still would be slower than the Euro LFA. Now, we don't know if they had multiple people in the car and maybe lots of camera equipment etc.

Yes, if you follow the timeline of events, the drag race video was definitely somewhere close to Vegas where they shot the video.

I know this video was shot way AFTER they did the mountain run in Glendora and also after the Vegas drag night was cancelled due to the high winds. So this video was either shot at night time while they were in Vegas or it was shot early in the morning before they left for California.

They were initially planning on drag racing the LFA on the Vegas raceway, but when they got there, they found out the event was cancelled due to high winds.

Then, they said they are working on a backup. As it turns out, this was their backup where they went to a desserted road and did the LFA vs GTR drag race. Since the GTR was from Vegas, I strongly believe the video was shot somewhere outside Vegas on a highway.

Josh from IL's video clearly shows he shifted earlier than the Euro LFA in the video. There are also other factors to be considered. Weight of the driver, weight of the car (fuel levels), of course elevation and temperatures.

Hmmm do you know for a fact that test was done in Vegas? There are many open 2 lane roads in the Mojave Desert of CA where they can do these tests. If you've ever traveled I-15 from LA to Vegas, you know whats up. The elevation varies from below sea level up to 10,000 feet depending on what part of the Mojave you're at. I think at this point your assumptions are a little off.
Old 04-16-11, 11:12 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

You can't be judging or guaging accuracy of times for anything looking at a speedo. Also, when is it normal to shift past redline? It may have been common practice with Pruett and Bell behind the wheel, but hardly common among the press.

Let's not be too discontent, however. This is test 1 of a production unit. Someone should send the editors of other publications the proper way to drive the car from what can be speculated, before they get their hands behind one, tires that should be used, blah, blah, blha. I'm really getting tired of all the excuses for it and the typical backlash arguments agaisnt it.
Old 04-16-11, 11:19 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

These are not excuses, but valid questions. Naturally aspirated engines lose power at higher altitudes while turbo cars don't. It is a scientifically proven fact. Just like the Porsche guys were questioning the GT2 RS drag race results in California (while ignoring the fact that GT2 RS was wearing R compound tires).

I think I might do that, if I can find some time over the weekend. Pruett really knows how to drive LFA 100%. I only wish they released the times when Pruett was repeatedly using the launch control system in the promo video.

I will try and compose an email with some video footagee of how to properly drive the LFA to these guys. Having done the dyno, they SHOULD know LFA's powerband is up to 9500 rpm and not 8600 rpm.

I wish I had an LFA and the money. I would personally truck my LFA to Montreal (sea level elevation) and do 3 launch control runs there at the drag strip and tape them while making sure I shifted at 9500 rpm everytime.

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
You can't be judging or guaging accuracy of times for anything looking at a speedo. Also, when is it normal to shift past redline? It may have been common practice with Pruett and Bell behind the wheel, but hardly common among the press.

Let's not be too discontent, however. This is test 1 of a production unit. Someone should send the editors of other publications the proper way to drive the car from what can be speculated, before they get their hands behind one, tires that should be used, blah, blah, blha. I'm really getting tired of all the excuses for it and the typical backlash arguments agaisnt it.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-16-11 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-17-11, 12:04 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

http://bcove.me/wkydd0y1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apzd2...el_video_title

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-17-11 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-17-11, 12:24 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

"The car is on one piece... so ... lexus will be happy" ...
Old 04-17-11, 04:14 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

No doubt that the questions are valid, but as it always goes, fans will know more about their car of choice than the press. The folks that don't like the car won't ever like it and find reasons not to. Any excuses that are made for it will just look like excuses. To me, there's no point of wasting our breath for the idiots that won't listen anyways.

[QUOTE=05RollaXRS;6315581]These are not excuses, but valid questions. QUOTE]
Old 04-17-11, 05:35 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Also, you can see LFA is revving up slower in the IL video than it is in the Euro video so even if they shifted near 9500 rpm, I think it still would be slower than the Euro LFA. Now, we don't know if they had multiple people in the car and maybe lots of camera equipment etc.
From what i've experienced first hand, not from watching videos on You Tube, you can only get to 9,500 rpm at certain conditions. You can't always hit it unless the conditions are optimal.
Old 04-17-11, 07:59 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=jpvarghese;6317215]No doubt that the questions are valid, but as it always goes, fans will know more about their car of choice than the press. The folks that don't like the car won't ever like it and find reasons not to. Any excuses that are made for it will just look like excuses. To me, there's no point of wasting our breath for the idiots that won't listen anyways.

These are not excuses, but valid questions. QUOTE]
I would suggest the Nurb Edition with instructions for LC
Old 04-17-11, 10:04 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, ofcourse I have been driving an 8400 rpm high-revving car for 7 years so I have a very good understanding of the principles that apply to high-revving engines.

From personal experience, it is mostly going uphills (when I drive to the Rocky Mountains to places like Banff, Lake Louise etc.) or if the car is loaded with a lot of weight when it revs slower to redline. Also, lower gears are easier than higher gears as well due to more torque being multiplied through gears.

Although, I was very impressed to see Justin Bell being able to hit 9500 rpm anytime he wanted at Infineon (with a lot of elevation changes) with a passenger on board.

From what i've experienced first hand, not from watching videos on You Tube, you can only get to 9,500 rpm at certain conditions. You can't always hit it unless the conditions are optimal.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-17-11 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-17-11, 09:19 PM
LexFather

That pic is sick!
Old 04-18-11, 09:27 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Yes, ofcourse I have been driving an 8400 rpm high-revving car for 7 years so I have a very good understanding of the principles that apply to high-revving engines.
But that still doesn't qualify as having first hand experience in an LFA.

Quick Reply: InsideLine roadtrip with LFA, GT2 and GT-R (merged threads)