LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA@ BMW M Fest

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-11, 09:50 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
I guess because Lexus/Toyota (same company) did EVERYTHING for the LFA, while the M1 was helped by Lambo, so it shouldn't be considered a 'true' BMW supercar or, their OWN? I donno, just guessing.
Lambo was a subcontractor on the M1 project, just like how the engine sound tuning on the LFA was done by Yamaha, the wheels was made by BBS, a bunch of components were made by Denso.....etc. But it is still a Toyota/Lexus.

I think the chassis/body of the M1 was done by Lambo, Lambo did a lot of the assembly too, but at the time Italian assembly was really sloppy, BMW wasn't happy with the work, so all the cars were shipped back to BMW to fixed everything that is wrong with it. Then of course BMW supply the engine/tranny and all mechanicals. At the end though, it is still BMW's project, it was sold by BMW with a BMW badge on it. I see it as a genuine BMW.

A friend of mine own a M1, that's why I hear all these random facts about it
Old 05-05-11, 10:08 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like I said, I'm just guessing as to why the statement was said- I consider it a BMW, just like I consider the McLaren F1, a McLaren, even though it's got a BMW engine.
Old 05-05-11, 10:36 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Like I said, I'm just guessing as to why the statement was said- I consider it a BMW, just like I consider the McLaren F1, a McLaren, even though it's got a BMW engine.
My statement was directed at MR_F1, not to you
Old 05-05-11, 01:13 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,780 Posts

Not everything. The brakes were built by Brembo and the engine development had a very strong involvement of Yamaha in it.

I guess because Lexus/Toyota (same company) did EVERYTHING for the LFA, while the M1 was helped by Lambo, so it shouldn't be considered a 'true' BMW supercar or, their OWN? I donno, just guessing.
Old 05-05-11, 02:18 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, that is my point. The way R34 gets butt hurt, you would think he owned an M1.

The LFA is majorly an in house, Lexus engineered project. My point is that the M1, was not. It wasn't meant to make less of BMW, or Lambo or the M1, just felt the need to point it out. the M1 is also, no longer in production, decades now in fact. So whoever pointed out that BMW, currently has NOTHING in it's class in their portfolio, is still correct.

I don't hear you griping an moaning when people claim Toyota doesn't know how to make sports cars anymore....
Old 05-05-11, 06:54 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Guys, knock off the personal comments or exit this thread please. Keep the post on the vehicles being discussed.

OP, I'll assume you got permission from the photographer as requested in his watermark.
Old 05-05-11, 08:31 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Actually, I did not.

I put link to his website first before the pictures. Should I take out the pictures from the thread?

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys, knock off the personal comments or exit this thread please. Keep the post on the vehicles being discussed.

OP, I'll assume you got permission from the photographer as requested in his watermark.
Old 05-06-11, 06:26 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

I'd suggest shooting him and email to ask if your limited, non commercial /discussion use here is OK
Old 05-06-11, 07:30 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I'd suggest shooting him and email to ask if your limited, non commercial /discussion use here is OK
Will do.
Old 05-06-11, 08:24 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Crazy to think Lexus has built something at this level of performance before BMW which has nothing remotely close...clearly best in show there
Originally Posted by MR_F1
the M1 is also, no longer in production, decades now in fact. So whoever pointed out that BMW, currently has NOTHING in it's class in their portfolio, is still correct.
Did he say currently?
Old 05-06-11, 01:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BNR34
BMW had the M1, which I think is similar level to the LFA, but that was 30 years ago.
I don't see nothing inaccurate about my comment since I said [I]"this level of performance"[/I]. The M1 is clearly a special car but it cannot hold a candle to the LFA or other exotic today and probably can't even hang with a 335. That is how performance has progressed.

BMW has nothing now and has never made a road car that can compete with the LFA which is actually kind of ironic considering their tremendous heritage and racing history which Lexus cannot match. Their highest performing car is what the M5/M6 or maybe Z8? What I said was meant as no disrespect to the M1 , a car I am well aware of.

The M1 30 years ago didn't compete with the top supercars and exotics at the time in regards to performance either. It didn't even make 300hp in the road car (race versions had much more HP though)...it was a fantastic car, very rare (less than 500 sold) built for racing and then built for the street.. It was a RWD, mid engine, I-6. Ferrari and Lambo had much larger engines at the time.

Ok I got that point, I just don't know how that fact have anything to do with what I was saying.

1SICKLEX said BMW never had any product at the LFA level.

I said they did, is the M1.

MR_F1 said the M1 should be consider as a Lambo.

Is that mean I am wrong to say BMW had a M1 that is at the similar level as the LFA because the M1 is actually a Lamboghini? But the M1 got a BMW engine/tranny and all mechanical though, only the chassis and body was made by Lamborghini, but the final assembly was done by BMW.
Actually Lambo didn't built it but this thing is pretty Italian. The body is very traditonal wedge shape Guigario at the time with BMW insisiting on the kidney grills to relate it to BMW. It really was a car born out of racing.

Construction was farmed out to two other Italian firms: Marchesi, for the multi-tube chassis, and Trasformazione Italiana Resina, for the fiberglass body. Final assembly was shifted to Baur, the German coachbuilder long associated with BMW
They were originally contracted to build it but b/c Lambo was broke and a mess of a company at the time and had to back out.

It was a high 5/low 6 second car with a low to mid 14 second 1/4 mile time. The engine puts out about 80hp per liter compared to what 120+ for the LFA? I said PERFORMANCE. Note how we have seen the LFA compete against the AUDI R8 and the Mercedes SLS. Again BMW has NOTHING to offer here, which is ironic since they are seen as the sportiest luxury brand.

I honestly think we shouldn't compare them b/c the M1 at the time was special and has its place in history secured. 30 years have passed and the 1M is a chipped 1 series coupe with no 1M on the horizon. The hybrid "Vision" concept seems to be their new supercar/halo car coming.
Old 05-06-11, 01:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i am not sure if i will give 1m less credit though. a lot of cars are faster than the f40 too, i don't think anyone would deny how legendary and important f40 is. it's almost like saying MJ can't play with kobe now but MJ is still one of the best who have ever played the game. we have to look at the era when the car(s) appeared, and when it came, 1m was quite something
Old 05-06-11, 01:43 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i am not sure if i will give 1m less credit though. a lot of cars are faster than the f40 too, i don't think anyone would deny how legendary and important f40 is. it's almost like saying MJ can't play with kobe now but MJ is still one of the best who have ever played the game. we have to look at the era when the car(s) appeared, and when it came, 1m was quite something
Wait, M1 or 1M? I take 1M as that 135i M thing.......M1 is that old Lambo thing

I am sure you meant M1, that was exactly what I was talking about.

I misunderstood 1SICKLEX, I thought he meant BMW never had a car at the same level of exotic-ness as the LFA in the history of cars........the M1 at the time when it came out, was about the same level as the LFA today. That was my point. I apologize if I offended anyone

Of course if you are solely talking about performance, then yes BMW don't have such a car yet. The highest performance car BMW ever made that never made it to production was the M8 with that Mclaren F1's V12 in it, but even that car don't have the same level of performance as the LFA. It got an exotic engine, but no exotic chassis.
Old 05-06-11, 02:00 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I don't see nothing inaccurate about my comment since I said [I]"this level of performance"[/I].
You are correct. I misunderstood your comment.

The M1 is clearly a special car but it cannot hold a candle to the LFA or other exotic today and probably can't even hang with a 335. That is how performance has progressed.
Agreed, the M1 is only about as fast as a 335i. It might handle better due to it being mid engine and lighter weight.

BMW has nothing now and has never made a road car that can compete with the LFA which is actually kind of ironic considering their tremendous heritage and racing history which Lexus cannot match. Their highest performing car is what the M5/M6 or maybe Z8? What I said was meant as no disrespect to the M1 , a car I am well aware of.
That is interesting, feels like BMW is afriad to and don't want to get into the exotic level. They had the intention to with building the M8 prototype, but never made it thru.

The M1 30 years ago didn't compete with the top supercars and exotics at the time in regards to performance either. It didn't even make 300hp in the road car (race versions had much more HP though)...it was a fantastic car, very rare (less than 500 sold) built for racing and then built for the street.. It was a RWD, mid engine, I-6. Ferrari and Lambo had much larger engines at the time.
The M1 was pretty close in performance with the exotics at the time, remember that was a long time ago, it was competing with Ferrari 512BB and Lambo Countach, those cars only had 350~375 hp. The M1 had 275 hp.

Actually Lambo didn't built it but this thing is pretty Italian. The body is very traditonal wedge shape Guigario at the time with BMW insisiting on the kidney grills to relate it to BMW. It really was a car born out of racing.

They were originally contracted to build it but b/c Lambo was broke and a mess of a company at the time and had to back out.
Yes I think Lambo built the initial batch, but the quality was too poor so BMW switched vendor.

It was a high 5/low 6 second car with a low to mid 14 second 1/4 mile time. The engine puts out about 80hp per liter compared to what 120+ for the LFA? I said PERFORMANCE. Note how we have seen the LFA compete against the AUDI R8 and the Mercedes SLS. Again BMW has NOTHING to offer here, which is ironic since they are seen as the sportiest luxury brand.
Of course performance wise, you can't compare any cars 30 years apart.

I honestly think we shouldn't compare them b/c the M1 at the time was special and has its place in history secured. 30 years have passed and the 1M is a chipped 1 series coupe with no 1M on the horizon. The hybrid "Vision" concept seems to be their new supercar/halo car coming.
The green vision thing is a green exotic car, is not about performance at all. It only got 3 cylinders!
Old 05-06-11, 02:30 PM
LexFather

Wait, M1 or 1M? I take 1M as that 135i M thing.......M1 is that old Lambo thing

I am sure you meant M1, that was exactly what I was talking about.

I misunderstood 1SICKLEX, I thought he meant BMW never had a car at the same level of exotic-ness as the LFA in the history of cars........the M1 at the time when it came out, was about the same level as the LFA today. That was my point. I apologize if I offended anyone

Of course if you are solely talking about performance, then yes BMW don't have such a car yet. The highest performance car BMW ever made that never made it to production was the M8 with that Mclaren F1's V12 in it, but even that car don't have the same level of performance as the LFA. It got an exotic engine, but no exotic chassis.
No problemo What M8? That as not a production car. 850 CSI was but it was not an "M" model

Originally Posted by rominl
Wait 1M or M1? I'm confused I wish someone would just one day call the gotdamn cars the BMW I have a Name or the Lexus MY NAME IS

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA@ BMW M Fest