LFA Model (2012)

Evo magazine teaser: Lexus LFA vs Ferrari 599 GTO [Video]

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-11, 09:12 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with this test. Both cars are subjected to the same conditions. It just happens that the 599 was quicker/faster in this scenario, but who is to say the LFA can't be faster in other conditions?
Old 08-11-11, 09:37 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,476 Likes on 1,781 Posts

However, like I pointed out above, these conditions are not consistent (2 people on-board, an abandoned old runway full of crevices) with the conditions 99% of the time used in tests, which is usually a smooth track. In context of overall, someone just glancing at the numbers without knowledge completely of the conditions, they look weak.

I was expected 3.0 - 3.2 seconds for the GTO and probably 3.4 - 3.5 seconds for LFA where they should be in normal testing conditions and 1 person in the car.

Originally Posted by GSteg
I don't see anything wrong with this test. Both cars are subjected to the same conditions. It just happens that the 599 was quicker/faster in this scenario, but who is to say the LFA can't be faster in other conditions?

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 08-11-11 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-11-11, 10:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

maybe you just care too much about what magazine says.

everyone smart they know how to interpret numbers and make adjustments if necessary (and if they care). other people i probably don't even care what they think
Old 08-11-11, 11:44 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
maybe you just care too much about what magazine says.

everyone smart they know how to interpret numbers and make adjustments if necessary (and if they care). other people i probably don't even care what they think
I disagree, not everybody knows how to think without bias. I feel 05rolla is doing a good job with new readers who come here and don't know certain details about the LFA. People who have seen ti before might get tired of it but somebody has to repeat so new readers learn. Not everybody knows exactly what tires each supercar is wearing and sometimes it is the details that help people understand.

What happened to this sense of community if an LFA fan can't even post without being harassed?
Old 08-12-11, 12:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

no one is stopping people from posting information, but that doesn't mean everything has to be agreed. just because there is a disagreement and it's harassment? give me a break.

it's true, and i will go as far as no one knows how to think without bias, but that goes both ways. to me it's as simple as two car comparison on the same environment, results are comparison between each other. any results from any other tests under different conditions will likely be different, it's not hard to understand that.

it's nothing different from pretty every single comparo you see out there on any cars, not just lfa, not just lexus, not just supercars. even on daily drivers like IS vs C vs 3 vs A4, you see different test conditions and what not between different magazines. so what's the big deal? i never see anyone even come out with the idea of having a "standardized testing platform". it might be a cool idea though.

that's all i am trying to say. i have nothing against 05rolla personally, i see him as a die hard lfa fan, which is great. i am always just about the content.

and what's funny, remember some member(s) kept on criticizing the sales and me talking about allocations of the lfa over and over? were that very well received as "information for new readers" or "do we have to talk about that every time"?
Old 08-12-11, 05:04 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
no one is stopping people from posting information, but that doesn't mean everything has to be agreed. just because there is a disagreement and it's harassment? give me a break.

it's true, and i will go as far as no one knows how to think without bias, but that goes both ways. to me it's as simple as two car comparison on the same environment, results are comparison between each other. any results from any other tests under different conditions will likely be different, it's not hard to understand that.

it's nothing different from pretty every single comparo you see out there on any cars, not just lfa, not just lexus, not just supercars. even on daily drivers like IS vs C vs 3 vs A4, you see different test conditions and what not between different magazines. so what's the big deal? i never see anyone even come out with the idea of having a "standardized testing platform". it might be a cool idea though.

that's all i am trying to say. i have nothing against 05rolla personally, i see him as a die hard lfa fan, which is great. i am always just about the content.

and what's funny, remember some member(s) kept on criticizing the sales and me talking about allocations of the lfa over and over? were that very well received as "information for new readers" or "do we have to talk about that every time"?
Great post! Anytime the LFA fails to meet this imagined standard, lap time, or number, it is all of a sudden a conspiracy to have Lexus fail and a rigged test. If I call out the ludicrousness of that notion, then it's considered aggression, harrassment, what have you.

Rolla may be the number one fan of this car, but that doesn't excuse him from making unsubstantiated statements. As far as I can tell he's not a Lexus engineer, nor part of the LFA team, or have driven the car, or was present at the test to know the exact conditions in the comparison to state things as absolute fact. The stuff he says are HIS theories. So IMO, many of it is misleading unless there is proof to back it up! I appreciate the articles, but leave the expert analysis to the guys with credentials.

Look, we all want the car to "look" good on paper, but there comes a point where you have to be realistic about the data. All the excuses in the world make it seem like Lexus made a car that can only perform its best in the best conditions and ideal setup. Well.........duh! That goes for every car!
Old 08-12-11, 05:32 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Guys last warning. Talk about the test, talk about the car, talk about the magazine, etc. Knock off the personal commentary and opinion about other members.
Old 08-12-11, 06:10 AM
RaceSC300
Rookie

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
However, like I pointed out above, these conditions are not consistent (2 people on-board, an abandoned old runway full of crevices) with the conditions 99% of the time used in tests, which is usually a smooth track. In context of overall, someone just glancing at the numbers without knowledge completely of the conditions, they look weak.

I was expected 3.0 - 3.2 seconds for the GTO and probably 3.4 - 3.5 seconds for LFA where they should be in normal testing conditions and 1 person in the car.
If the conditions are the same between both cars in this particular test, what difference does it make? People who pick up a magazine to read about the LFA or 599 GTO are going to be enthusiats and, more likely than not, going to be pretty well informed. One test does not make or break a car. Putting this comparison against other comparisons that have come and gone is useless. Driver, air temp, track temp, humidity, fuel level etc are all variables that have to be taken into account when comparing test results and doing that is impossible with a magazien test.

This is just a fun test between two amazing cars. Reading too much into it takes away from the fun of it. I can just imagine the editors sitting around a round table saying "Hey, you know what would be fun? If we get two supercars with 8000+RPM limits and beat the hell out of them! Then we will write a story or something about it later!" Trust me, if I had the means to do get a LFA and 599 GTO together for a day of fun in the sun, I would.
Old 08-12-11, 07:40 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

(runs to bookstore). Thanks for posting.
Old 08-12-11, 07:47 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

You'd think that they'd pit the GTO vs the Nurburgring edition.... anyway, can't wait to see/read about this test.
Old 08-12-11, 08:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by MR_F1
You'd think that they'd pit the GTO vs the Nurburgring edition.... anyway, can't wait to see/read about this test.
actually that part is indeed a bit disappointing. doesn't sound like a fair game when they took the gto against a normal lfa. it would have been fantastic if they brought over the nur spec
Old 08-12-11, 08:50 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think Lexus is going to pit the Nur spec against anything until they finish their final runs at the Ring. That should happen later this year. From there, they might let it get tested.

Its still ASTONISHING to think a LEXUS is going against a Ferrari GTO. Think about that for a second.

A Lexus.....vs a FERRARI GTO.....not just any Ferrari, a GTO...

Wow

Now where is the "I'd hit both" option
Old 08-12-11, 10:12 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

All good points. I think they will both be lapped on the track so it should give a good idea.

On TopGear, the 599 GTO did a 1:19.8 in the dry while LFA did 1:22.3 in the soaking wet so it would be interesting to see how they do head to head.

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
I don't think Lexus is going to pit the Nur spec against anything until they finish their final runs at the Ring. That should happen later this year. From there, they might let it get tested.

Its still ASTONISHING to think a LEXUS is going against a Ferrari GTO. Think about that for a second.

Wow

Old 08-12-11, 10:19 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

^1:22:8 IIRC

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen

Wow

Aug 29th maybe?
Old 08-12-11, 10:36 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I will have to check over the weekend to see which edition of Evo is available here and for which month?? I don't know if it is the same edition and if the edition here is behind a month or two.

Quick Reply: Evo magazine teaser: Lexus LFA vs Ferrari 599 GTO [Video]