LFA Model (2012)

LFA on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-11, 10:36 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Otherwise I have hope (unsupported by anything) that within 3 years a lightly used one could be had under $200k and I would be all over that (unless it is the root beer/creamsicle car)
For a car with only 500 copies produced, that kind of depreciation would seem to be too harsh, or at least much harsher than other supercars at the LFA's price bracket.
Old 12-15-11, 10:45 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Ydooby
I fully agree with you but gaming is fun and if I bet and win that would be great
If I lose I can get a second gen NSX with a unicorn under the hood
Old 12-15-11, 10:55 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ydooby
For a car with only 500 copies produced, that kind of depreciation would seem to be too harsh, or at least much harsher than other supercars at the LFA's price bracket.
That's if someone is willing to let it go for that much. Harsh but seems likely looking at current circumstances.
Old 12-15-11, 10:56 AM
motohide
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't worry, Lexus is not marketing the LFA to any of us lurking in a fan club forum like this. They are targeting the customers who can appreciate masterful crafting of a hand built car that is assembled by Toyota as a historic automobile, which is rather a result of their own engineering, rather than a marketing driven need. If you can see past the specs, there is a fine bit of history here. Toyota 2000GT, is also such car, and in its days, there were far faster and more technologically advanced vehicles which today are far less valuable. And there are cars that fetch far more than a 2000GT that are even slower than it.

The LFA is a crafting of Toyota's own dry carbon weaving and vacuum treating process, which is also a study of manufacturing that will surely become part of more mundane cars of tomorrow. It's unique engine is a carefully coordinated exercise in metallurgy, acoustics, design, and performance of a naturally aspirated ULEV class high performance engine that defines achievements not only in the department of horsepower (power rather is a very simple formula but having it from a pure mechanical engine without boosting compressed intake, and achieving that with very minimal emissions is a task of high order.)

It's sharp handling is mostly not from advanced AWD or complicated assist, but made possible from the basic foundation of the vehicle weight, rigid uni-body, and unique combination of the best ideas in aerodynamic designs and mechanical dynamic characters an automotive engineer at Toyota can throw at it. It not going as fast as a GTR is a moot point, as it is not as fast as a F1 nor a LeMans C-Car and it can't float on water nor tackle the Paris Dakar Rally Raid. It has its own focus, and it is not a mass marketed vehicle with only 500 units as capacity of orders, and the $381,000 base price is not reflected to be competitive against any car on the planet, but as a price set to make sense in selling 500 copies of a car that Toyota wishes to sell to buyers who see a desire. Not everyone has to like it, as it matters not what most people think, only that it is important to mark a flagship of a company to the 500 exclusive people who will buy them, and that they are happy with sharing a part of Toyota's R&D for something they envision will be a useful skill for building cars of tomorrow.

Think of it like a concept car that just happened to become a product out of a sheet passion by a President of an auto firm, and a group of engineers and product planning staff that just wanted to make it happen.

Corporate spending that doesn't make sense? Well, I'd rather think this makes a lot of sense, in the same way Toyota would spend over $550 million dollars a year in a race that only occurs 16 times per season, Nascar races that use Camry shaped bodies, millions on Tiger Woods and other athletes and celebrities, and the hosts of the games they partake, and many more millions spent in ads, PR campaigns and support and donations Toyota Motor Sales USA, and Global does promote. The WRC Rallies, LeMans24 Hours, Toyota Long Beach GP, and Irwindale Speedway. All these past and present dollars that boost identity, some good and some bad, perhaps, but in the end it all makes sense collectively and is what made them one of the most trusted and popular auto maker on the planet for some several decades to now.

Yes, BIG DEAL, Yada Yada... some say about the LFA.

But its those people who Lexus is NOT targeting the cars to be sold to, so if one is complaining about it, it really doesn't matter to an LFA's existence.

Last edited by motohide; 12-15-11 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-15-11, 11:03 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

motohide, sounds great, but how do you explain all the dealers who got their own allocation and are now putting it up for sale? I'm sure Lexus thought they were selling to enthusiasts, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 12-15-11, 11:04 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

I called after seeing the $475 k price and the helpful sales person gave me the scoop
He thinks the GM put up the listing without telling the sales staff
I would say I am fishing casually
If the daycones when a dealer for sone reason would be ok with dumping a new onefor $300k I might go for that
Otherwise I have hope (unsupported by anything) that within 3 years a lightly used one could be had under $200k and I would be all over that (unless it is the root beer/creamsicle car)
You said it yourself, you are looking for someone to sell you one for $300k! That's exactly the problem, people want the LFA for a lesser price, but are complaining about Lexus failing and worried about resale value. By buying the LFA at less than MSRP new, or even used at $200k, you're just degrading the value of the LFA. Perhaps you're better off shopping for a different car that suits your price range.

I'm pretty certain you're calling every dealer that has an LFA in their showroom and throwing out a lowball offer for it...especially if it's an aging unit. Good luck to you if you ever find that deal...and feel sorry for all the LFA owners in the world for bringing the value of their car down.

Last edited by flipside909; 12-15-11 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-15-11, 11:39 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

I called after seeing the $475 k price and the helpful sales person gave me the scoop
He thinks the GM put up the listing without telling the sales staff
I would say I am fishing casually
If the daycones when a dealer for sone reason would be ok with dumping a new onefor $300k I might go for that
I sure hope that no current owners in need of cash enough to do that to the value of the car
From a financial pov, I think in the long run the LFA will out perform your average stock market investments (it won't go to 0).

Last edited by 07grIS350; 12-15-11 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-15-11, 12:07 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,780 Posts

The silver lining is, atleast controversial discussions are breathing some life into this forums. Otherwise, it looks on normal days as good as dead and it looks like I am the only one fishing and posting new information, reviews, videos etc. on here.

I don't blame anyone since once Lexus marketed and pushed the car out, it becomes the owner's responsibility to keep the interest alive in the minds of the admirers and LFA is plagued with owners that exude what is opposite to what I see on other exotic forums where I see passionate discussions with real life owners who educate and inform people about the cars.

Right now, only Roy from Atlanta is the only owner I can see who is more than what Lexus could ever hope for. He bought two LFAs, he allowed Forged Performance to sponsor his LFA, he invites journalists from Europe (Chris Harris etc.) to come and drive his LFA. What else could Lexus ask for?
Old 12-15-11, 12:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by motohide
Don't worry, Lexus is not marketing the LFA to any of us lurking in a fan club forum like this. They are targeting the customers who can appreciate masterful crafting of a hand built car that is assembled by Toyota as a historic automobile, which is rather a result of their own engineering, rather than a marketing driven need. If you can see past the specs, there is a fine bit of history here. Toyota 2000GT, is also such car, and in its days, there were far faster and more technologically advanced vehicles which today are far less valuable. And there are cars that fetch far more than a 2000GT that are even slower than it.

The LFA is a crafting of Toyota's own dry carbon weaving and vacuum treating process, which is also a study of manufacturing that will surely become part of more mundane cars of tomorrow. It's unique engine is a carefully coordinated exercise in metallurgy, acoustics, design, and performance of a naturally aspirated ULEV class high performance engine that defines achievements not only in the department of horsepower (power rather is a very simple formula but having it from a pure mechanical engine without boosting compressed intake, and achieving that with very minimal emissions is a task of high order.)

It's sharp handling is mostly not from advanced AWD or complicated assist, but made possible from the basic foundation of the vehicle weight, rigid uni-body, and unique combination of the best ideas in aerodynamic designs and mechanical dynamic characters an automotive engineer at Toyota can throw at it. It not going as fast as a GTR is a moot point, as it is not as fast as a F1 nor a LeMans C-Car and it can't float on water nor tackle the Paris Dakar Rally Raid. It has its own focus, and it is not a mass marketed vehicle with only 500 units as capacity of orders, and the $381,000 base price is not reflected to be competitive against any car on the planet, but as a price set to make sense in selling 500 copies of a car that Toyota wishes to sell to buyers who see a desire. Not everyone has to like it, as it matters not what most people think, only that it is important to mark a flagship of a company to the 500 exclusive people who will buy them, and that they are happy with sharing a part of Toyota's R&D for something they envision will be a useful skill for building cars of tomorrow.

Think of it like a concept car that just happened to become a product out of a sheet passion by a President of an auto firm, and a group of engineers and product planning staff that just wanted to make it happen.

Corporate spending that doesn't make sense? Well, I'd rather think this makes a lot of sense, in the same way Toyota would spend over $550 million dollars a year in a race that only occurs 16 times per season, Nascar races that use Camry shaped bodies, millions on Tiger Woods and other athletes and celebrities, and the hosts of the games they partake, and many more millions spent in ads, PR campaigns and support and donations Toyota Motor Sales USA, and Global does promote. The WRC Rallies, LeMans24 Hours, Toyota Long Beach GP, and Irwindale Speedway. All these past and present dollars that boost identity, some good and some bad, perhaps, but in the end it all makes sense collectively and is what made them one of the most trusted and popular auto maker on the planet for some several decades to now.

Yes, BIG DEAL, Yada Yada... some say about the LFA.

But its those people who Lexus is NOT targeting the cars to be sold to, so if one is complaining about it, it really doesn't matter to an LFA's existence.
Another spectacular post. Sadly it went over most peoples heads like the LFA goes over their heads. Its easier for people to judge it on simplistic elementary school measures like
-number sold vs the 500
-0-60
-hp rating
etc etc

Lexus is asking an incredible amount of money for it. As C&D said its a bargain when you compare it to cars built like it. However most want the BADGE and I can't blame them when you drop that much money on a car. The LFA as EVO/CAR said, is for the true enthusiast, the connoisseur. They understand the details, the rarity, the "against all odds" attitude of this car.

As time passes, MARK MY WORDS this car will only grow in LEGEND. Its one of the last of its kind, truly raw and primal and not about sales, but about the point that "this is the best we can do".

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The silver lining is, atleast controversial discussions are breathing some life into this forums. Otherwise, it looks on normal days as good as dead and it looks like I am the only one fishing and posting new information, reviews, videos etc. on here.

I don't blame anyone since once Lexus marketed and pushed the car out, it becomes the owner's responsibility to keep the interest alive in the minds of the admirers and LFA is plagued with owners that exude what is opposite to what I see on other exotic forums where I see passionate discussions with real life owners who educate and inform people about the cars.

Right now, only Roy from Atlanta is the only owner I can see who is more than what Lexus could ever hope for. He bought two LFAs, he allowed Forged Performance to sponsor his LFA, he invites journalists from Europe (Chris Harris etc.) to come and drive his LFA. What else could Lexus ask for?
True but we also don't know who else is doing it. Sometimes people think everything is on the internet. Its not. Gengar has showed his car to us and when he is not busy participates tons. As deliveries occur there might be more "Roy's" around. Time will tell.

This is entire new realm as we all have spoken about not just for Lexus but most any luxury brand not Mercedes Benz with the SLR/SLS. These are vehicles from brands that don't normally participate in this class. This is a class dominated by Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche. Lexus might have been completely over their heads and completely out of their damn minds but GOD BLESS THEM ALL THEY DID IT. Where others cower, (BMW has said no super car coming), where others fake (no V-10 NSX coming) where others don't participate at all (Infiniit, Lincoln, Saab, etc) Lexus with Toyota's backing had the biggest ***** to produce this vehicle.

I mean think about it, ten years it took. It would have been EASY at anytime to just accept defeat. Look at Honda/Acura. Instead they soldiered on like real men with no excuses. Here is the LFA **** sales, **** profit, **** beancounters.

Here is what can be done with our passion when we make up our minds to do what people said could not be done.

That makes me want the car just typing it.

If I had the means it would be my #1 supercar to purchase and I'm a McLaren nut and Lambo fan and I appreciate Ferrari for all its done. Its the anti-supercar, goes against the status quo while completely being comfortable against its competition.

LONG LIVE THE LFA!
Old 12-15-11, 12:29 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS

Wow that's one of the longest run-ons i've read in a long time.

Theres plenty of great things and attributes about the LFA, but people can only take so much of reposts sorry to say.Once we get our front page issues squared away, you will see a lot more unique LFA content in the near future.
Old 12-15-11, 12:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

please keep your post(s) constructive and on the matter not on another person. some of you are close to be exiting this thread.
Old 12-15-11, 12:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by flipside909

Theres plenty of great things and attributes about the LFA, but people can only take so much of reposts sorry to say.Once we get our front page issues squared away, you will see a lot more unique LFA content in the near future.
What do people expect for crying out loud? Don't let me get started with ****ing numbers

500 made
170 or so for America
52 delivered

Did people really think that the vast majority would be online posting about it and on ClubLexus or any other forum? These people probably are busy making more money laughing at my 60,000 posts.

Its a very small pool of cars and owners. VERY SMALL. Miniscule.

I mean there was what 500 or so IS C F-sports with the red leather made. I have yet to see one here or anywhere.
Old 12-15-11, 01:00 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What do people expect for crying out loud? Don't let me get started with ****ing numbers

500 made
170 or so for America
52 delivered

Did people really think that the vast majority would be online posting about it and on ClubLexus or any other forum? These people probably are busy making more money laughing at my 60,000 posts.

Its a very small pool of cars and owners. VERY SMALL. Miniscule.

I mean there was what 500 or so IS C F-sports with the red leather made. I have yet to see one here or anywhere.
Yeah those IS C F-Sport Special Editions are rare, i've only seen one in a dealer showroom and one on an auto show floor.

It will be interesting to see how many special orders pop up next year. Sure as hell would hate to se it on eBay or cars.com of all places.
Old 12-15-11, 01:05 PM
LexFather

lol I literally just laughed out loud.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!!!

Relax...woooosaaaaa....

Last edited by LexFather; 12-15-11 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-15-11, 06:07 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,780 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909

Well, I don't know about run-on or not, all I know is that it is grammatically correct, albeit long.

Anyway, I am not pointing any fingers by any means nor am I in any shape or form doing anything to step on anyone's toes, but pretty much in the last 2.5 years the visibility of LFA in the public eye is not much different at all since all those cars are nowhere to be seen.

The only time people see anything about the LFA is when it comes from Lexus corporate cars either being displayed in car meets, drive events or being given to press to drive.

Now, it was mentioned there are only 52 LFAs in the US. So? Internet is global. Isn't it? There are not 52 LFAs Lexus so far built. They are closer to 200 by now delivered in the last 1 year and no one knows where they all are globally.

Case in point, I am 100% sure there is a huge disconnect between how exotic car owners typically share their passion with everyone keeping the cars from being forgotten and how most of the owners of the 200 something LFAs owners are rising to what Lexus officially was hoping they would do.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 12-15-11 at 06:19 PM.

Quick Reply: LFA on ebay