LFA Model (2012)

Gazoo LFA racing car qualifying lap (Bonus clip: Gazoo LFA vs SP8 GTR vs GT3 Cup)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-12, 08:17 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
It is more like people are surprised at how Gazoo LFA simply vanished into the horizon on the high speed straights leaving GT3 and GTR like they were on a standstill.

Since the GT3 CUP is highly modified and weighs only 2800 LBS and supposedly puts out only 10 HP less than the Gazoo LFA with Gazoo LFA weigh several hundred pounds more. Last year the GT3 with same 480 HP could keep up with the LFA, but this year it simply was of no match.

The only plausible explanation is that the Gazoo LFA is secretly packing a lot more power (or power is the same, but gearing is a lot more aggressive using a shorter final drive) and with racing slicks, it is putting it down very effectively.

One thing that definitely changed in Gazoo LFA this year was the rev limiter is set this year to 9500 rpm as opposed to last year where it was restricted to only 7500 rpm.
I doubt that Gazoo Team would break race rules by adding more power to the LFA than allowed. We don't know whether the GT-R and the GT3 simply could not keep up with the LFA on the high speed sections or they chose to run their own paces in order to get a respectable finish in the race. They probably knew that they can not keep up with the LFA over the entire race so there'd be no point in trying to chase it.
Also, the LFA has been improving significantly for each year at the N24 Race without adding more power. So I hope the Gazoo site would give a write up on the improvement they had for this year.
Old 06-13-12, 08:28 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,476 Likes on 1,781 Posts

In the video, it does seem the GT3 Cup driver is going flat out on the straights. There is no indication of him letting off anywhere or driving in higher gear than necessary (he downshifts very aggressively before entering corners). He definitely seems to be in all-out attack mode.

Anyway, I agree there is no use in speculating as to what may be the reason. The only one thing I know for sure is that the rev limiter was set to 9500 rpm this year as opposed to last year when it was restricted to 7500 rpm on the Gazoo LFA.

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
I doubt that Gazoo Team would break race rules by adding more power to the LFA than allowed. We don't know whether the GT-R and the GT3 simply could not keep up with the LFA on the high speed sections or they chose to run their own paces in order to get a respectable finish in the race. They probably knew that they can not keep up with the LFA over the entire race so there'd be no point in trying to chase it.
Also, the LFA has been improving significantly for each year at the N24 Race without adding more power. So I hope the Gazoo site would give a write up on the improvement they had for this year.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-13-12 at 08:38 AM.