LFA Model (2012)

LFA vs NSX

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-12, 07:30 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
Should he really be demonized for HIS experience and HIS opinion no matter how much people disagree with him? At this point we would be arguing opinions and not get anywhere. He actually drove the car to come up with the conclusions he has.
Yes he should be crushed for his inaccurate knowledge of the car, and yes we should disregard his opinions because they are his own perpective ( or feel sorry for him ).
- He clearly tried to put down the LFA by comparing the transmission setup to an economy car. What happens to the wonderful looking Adventador? even if the setup were bad, comparison would be much more relevant if he's mentioned the latter.
- The LFA is full of compromises because Lexus took 10 years to build it? He should have read the series written by TTAC before mouthing off what he thought were compromises.

I also love the NSX, but in stock form, it is nowhere near as fun as LFA. I relate with my own seat times in both cars.
Old 07-25-12, 11:20 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flawed, compromised supercar, hah! Flawed compromised review is more like it. He went too far with his analogies. Like comparing the transmission to that of a FIAT. Probably never spent time with the owners manual. Stupid reviews like this are pointless. If it was an honest comparison with someone who gave half a crap to explore the FACTS on the car it'd be somewhat more acceptable. This was a waste of time to watch, glad I fast forwarded it just to hear the LFA.
Old 07-26-12, 06:37 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

This guy's review sounds a lot like someone who has a lot of experience with a low powered car and can't figure out how to translate that experience into a high powered car. Saying he's driven the LFA on the track and had the same results tells me he's a really novice driver.

When I first tracked my F, I was very frustrated with a number of things I thought should be different, but I persevered and listened to my instructors. I improved my driving. I like the car a million times more than my first track day because I now know far better how to keep it doing the things I want and not doing the things I don't want. I recognize my biggest issues were rooted in my failure to understand how to drive the car, not the car itself.

This guy isn't in any position to judge any high powered car.

I drove an NSX on a test drive in 1995 after the ex totaled my '94 hardtop TT Supra. I was daily driving a 1989 MR2 SC at the time, so I was pretty familiar with mid-engine rotation, and the NSX didn't disappoint. But calling it "easy" to drive just means he didn't drive it very hard. Just like any car, as you approach the limits the NSX has its own issues. I really think the NSX hits the reviewer's sweet spot for power to weight. Add more power, and I bet he's just as slow as he is now. The simple fact he said pushing on the throttle caused the VDIM to step in tells me his right foot is a club, not a finely tuned instrument.

Henry is right. You need to be bigger than the car.
Old 07-26-12, 07:32 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This guy's review sounds a lot like someone who has a lot of experience with a low powered car and can't figure out how to translate that experience into a high powered car. Saying he's driven the LFA on the track and had the same results tells me he's a really novice driver.

When I first tracked my F, I was very frustrated with a number of things I thought should be different, but I persevered and listened to my instructors. I improved my driving. I like the car a million times more than my first track day because I now know far better how to keep it doing the things I want and not doing the things I don't want. I recognize my biggest issues were rooted in my failure to understand how to drive the car, not the car itself.

I drove an NSX on a test drive in 1995 after the ex totaled my '94 hardtop TT Supra. I was daily driving a 1989 MR2 SC at the time, so I was pretty familiar with mid-engine rotation, and the NSX didn't disappoint. But calling it "easy" to drive just means he didn't drive it very hard. Just like any car, as you approach the limits the NSX has its own issues. I really think the NSX hits the reviewer's sweet spot for power to weight. Add more power, and I bet he's just as slow as he is now. The simple fact he said pushing on the throttle caused the VDIM to step in tells me his right foot is a club, not a finely tuned instrument.

Agree with your post, but doesn't that make his review worthy? His review sounds like the first time I upped my hp experience significantly and is what someone else should expect if they jumped into the LFA from a Camry.

The review isn't put into context but it isn't invalid. The people that won't get anything from it either have forgotten their first time being overmatched or have never driven high hp ever and don't know any better. For someone else to chime in and start bashing the guy because they READ of Pruetts experience is silly as they would likely have the same review as this guy with their carcass in the seat.

If he had ended with some sort of statement qualifying himself as an average driver maybe some of the sphincters would loosen up around here and take it for what is was; his experience...
Old 07-26-12, 08:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

fantastic post, lance!
Old 07-26-12, 09:44 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after the ex totaled my '94 hardtop TT Supra

Grrrr.....
Old 07-26-12, 10:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Agree with your post, but doesn't that make his review worthy? His review sounds like the first time I upped my hp experience significantly and is what someone else should expect if they jumped into the LFA from a Camry.

The review isn't put into context but it isn't invalid. The people that won't get anything from it either have forgotten their first time being overmatched or have never driven high hp ever and don't know any better. For someone else to chime in and start bashing the guy because they READ of Pruetts experience is silly as they would likely have the same review as this guy with their carcass in the seat.

If he had ended with some sort of statement qualifying himself as an average driver maybe some of the sphincters would loosen up around here and take it for what is was; his experience...
well imagine if you see all reviews like this in the 4gs forum saying the car is very hard to drive because the reviewers are used to (and only capable of) driving 120hp camry from 10 years ago.

yeah the reviews aren't invalid, but 1) it makes the reviews on the cars very useless and 2) it's more like a review of the reviewer rather than cars.

if today we are trying to compare cars, then i think we should try to take out as many other variables as possible
Old 07-26-12, 12:24 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your comments about people's sphincters is childish.
You admit that IF the reviewer had qualified his comments by explaining he has limited to no experience with the car or cars, yes....it wouldn't have been so bad. But he didn't. He makes it seem as though he is an expert driver and has experience with the cars being reviewed. Someone with less common sense might take the review as completely credible. That's what I have a problem with. My sphincter need not be brought into this. A moderator has already asked that we keep the comments about the review, not the people here posting opinions. Yet you went there again.
Old 07-26-12, 12:37 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
well imagine if you see all reviews like this in the 4gs forum saying the car is very hard to drive because the reviewers are used to (and only capable of) driving 120hp camry from 10 years ago.

yeah the reviews aren't invalid, but 1) it makes the reviews on the cars very useless and 2) it's more like a review of the reviewer rather than cars.

if today we are trying to compare cars, then i think we should try to take out as many other variables as possible
Understand your point Henry but it would be different in that with only 500 made, there will be a limited number of actual driver reviews. If the only reviews we ever get are from expert drivers like Pruett, then what's the point? Right now we have expert reviews, company driver (expert) reviews, owner reviews and with this guy 'average driver' reviews. Their weight of importance should probably be in that order as well. Below them, you have people who read expert reviews, lol.

I don't see it as useless at all. It's not useless to you or I because we've got seat time in cars with hp levels above average. But to those who haven't had any seat time, then they should pay attention because what he described is likely exactly what will happen to them. Pruett is a fantasy review, this was more reality for the average driver.

Wasn't anything wrong with what he said, it just needed to be quantified.

If nothing else was learned from the video, your 'bigger than the car' statement should have taught one lesson at minimum..
Old 07-26-12, 12:46 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ice350
Your comments about people's sphincters is childish.
You admit that IF the reviewer had qualified his comments by explaining he has limited to no experience with the car or cars, yes....it wouldn't have been so bad. But he didn't. He makes it seem as though he is an expert driver and has experience with the cars being reviewed. Someone with less common sense might take the review as completely credible. That's what I have a problem with. My sphincter need not be brought into this. A moderator has already asked that we keep the comments about the review, not the people here posting opinions. Yet you went there again.
eh?
It's called perspective. There was an assumption made that because his review wasn't in line with every ACCEPTED review here that he was an expert driver who didn't deserve to write about or even drive the LFA. He never said he was. What if his job title is "Average Driver drives exotic cars and then writes about them" We can discuss the review like adults using the common sense you talk about and understand how it could be relative. Otherwise is just fan-boyism at its utmost.

The sphincter comment simply means to lighten up the MOOD OF THE FORUM and accept the review for what it is. Something still can be taken from it. You want to take it personal then do you. Pretty silly to bring up a moderator comment in the same paragraph that you call me childish.... But I digress and you enjoy the rest of your day kind sir.
Old 07-26-12, 12:49 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

eh?
It's called perspective. There was an assumption made that because his review wasn't in line with every ACCEPTED review here that he was an expert driver who didn't deserve to write about or even drive the LFA. He never said he was. What if his job title is "Average Driver drives exotic cars and then writes about them" We can discuss the review like adults using the common sense you talk about and understand how it could be relative. Otherwise is just fan-boyism at its utmost.

The sphincter comment simply means to lighten up the MOOD OF THE FORUM and accept the review for what it is. Something still can be taken from it. You want to take it personal then do you. Pretty silly to bring up a moderator comment in the same paragraph that you call me childish.... But I digress and you enjoy the rest of your day kind sir.
I didn't say you were childish.
I said the comments were childish.
Old 07-26-12, 01:00 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

I saw the same thread on the acra forum lol , and first thing i said was " why this old nsx" Lol . i didn't get into a debate with the whole forum because i will never win..and majority of those guys are stuck in the 90s and they don't know much about lexus/ toyota.

at the end of the day , it's his opinion .

like some others have said he can't handle the big hp cars lol.
Old 07-26-12, 02:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Understand your point Henry but it would be different in that with only 500 made, there will be a limited number of actual driver reviews. If the only reviews we ever get are from expert drivers like Pruett, then what's the point? Right now we have expert reviews, company driver (expert) reviews, owner reviews and with this guy 'average driver' reviews. Their weight of importance should probably be in that order as well. Below them, you have people who read expert reviews, lol.

I don't see it as useless at all. It's not useless to you or I because we've got seat time in cars with hp levels above average. But to those who haven't had any seat time, then they should pay attention because what he described is likely exactly what will happen to them. Pruett is a fantasy review, this was more reality for the average driver.

Wasn't anything wrong with what he said, it just needed to be quantified.

If nothing else was learned from the video, your 'bigger than the car' statement should have taught one lesson at minimum..
haha but then the car isn't for "anyone" either right? i guess there should be a basic expectations for everything. asking a person who just got a license to drive an enzo and we can only imagine what happens. all supercars are not easy to drive. i have my share of experience. and lfa is easily one of the easiest one to drive among the very small elite group of cars. with that said, and for him to come out and say how hard the car drives, that's just incredibly funny
Old 07-26-12, 02:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
I saw the same thread on the acra forum lol , and first thing i said was " why this old nsx" Lol . i didn't get into a debate with the whole forum because i will never win..and majority of those guys are stuck in the 90s and they don't know much about lexus/ toyota.

at the end of the day , it's his opinion .

like some others have said he can't handle the big hp cars lol.
i wonder if any of the acura forum people pointed that out
Old 07-26-12, 03:45 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

^^ No they didn't , because alot of them don't really know much about lexus and Toyota .

look at the quote below LOL

Originally Posted by ;451928
Love this video! That old NSX rides better than that new LF.

Quick Reply: LFA vs NSX