LFA Model (2012)

Thinking about getting an LFA

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-12, 08:47 AM
KalEl1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about getting an LFA

Hey guys, long time visitors first time poster here. Im looking for some advice on something that recently came up.

Im from dubai and here the LFA is sold by invitation only. I got one of these invitations last week and had the chance to see the car up close and personally. Didnt get to drive it sadly but got a tour and started it up. Car looks and feels like a UFO. Everything is breathtaking and it was love at first sight. It was red with dark interior. Very nice combination. They also have a black one coming in a few months.

The only problem is, im afraid the prices will crash after a few years just like what happened with the SLR. i want to ask informed people here if thats true or will it hold its price like the carrera GT?

Im asking because its priced more than an Aventador out here and thats a VERY nice car. If I had to pick one it would be the LFA however because its just so exclusive. Plus inside and outside, i like the look of the LFA more, especially the interior which is like nothing else out there. But again, the depreciation thing is holding me back.

Anyway, any input will be helpful to get my mind straight about the matter.
Old 07-29-12, 09:04 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

what's there to think about?! If you have a chance to get an LFA do it! The car is limited to 500 examples that's it. It will retain it's value based on exclusivity and a stellar reliability record. It's not *****d out like Ferrari's and GT-Rs. When it's gone it's gone.
Old 07-29-12, 10:31 AM
lunaC42
Driver

Well, I think mine is worth every penny I scrounge for. They are all sold out and expect to appreciate. I say "go for it".
Old 07-29-12, 11:53 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,476 Likes on 1,781 Posts

I will try to be as objective as possible.

Well, SLR is an apples to oranges with LFA. The price of SLR crashed mostly because that car had a very confused identity. It neither was a hardcore race track car nor was it a proper grand turismo car catering to people who want to have an exotic cruiser. Then, you should remember there were about 1500 SLRs produced while LFA is only 500.

If you look to history, the other supercar Toyota produced was the 2000 GT back in the 1960s with 363 units produced. To this day, they sell for 8 - 10 times their original cost with mint condition one's going for $200,000 and more.

Regarding LFA vs Aventador, you need to ask yourself what your preferences are. Both cars according to comparisons offer vastly different experiences.

I would recommend you reading the full comparison review of LFA vs Aventador done by British Car magazine. They preferred the driving experience of LFA, but the brute power and presence of Aventador made them prefer that car.

Their summary went something like this

Lexus LFA:

- 600 lbs lighter and much compact, smaller dimensions lead to less inertia and unsprung mass in the corners to fight.
- Better handling and much more agile and tossable in the corner. Easy to make it dance in the corners.
- The F1 V10 9500 rpm revving engine sound is considered pretty much among the best
- The throttle response is impossible for any current car in production
- Lexus/Toyota reliability and quality of interior favors LFA.
- LFA NE holds the record of 7:14 Nurburgring lap time of all cars on only street tires
- The actual real life MSRP of LFA is much cheaper than that of the Aventador

Aventador:

- 600 lbs heavier
- Completely insane 691 HP from the V12 and exceptionally fast in a straight line
- AWD traction and handling combined with Corsa super-slick tires, but prone to understeer around the track
- The prestige and aura of Lamborghini
- The scissor doors
- V12 engine revs up to 8300 rpm
- They already have produced 1000 of them in just 1 year

So short answer is, if you like brutal amount of power then Aventador is a good choice while if you like a car with what Car magazine called "multi layered" experience then LFA would be the car to pick.

All the best with your decision.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-29-12 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-29-12, 03:17 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He said he liked the LFA more, his only concern is depreciation. So all the performance specs aside, the Aventador isn't a limited edition 'only 500 produced' car. It's a 'mass produced' vehicle. It'll be pretty 'common' compared to the LFA that's for sure. The Nurburgring edition is even more exclusive!
Old 07-29-12, 03:51 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

As mentioned previously, the track record for Toyota exotic (?) is good, so there is a good chance that the LFA's value would hold up well. However, past performance does not guarantee anything as they said in investment purchases. My personal take on this is LFAs are long term toy/investment, so I was prepared to hold on to mine for at least 20 years.
Old 07-29-12, 05:34 PM
KalEl1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I will try to be as objective as possible.

Well, SLR is an apples to oranges with LFA. The price of SLR crashed mostly because that car had a very confused identity. It neither was a hardcore race track car nor was it a proper grand turismo car catering to people who want to have an exotic cruiser. Then, you should remember there were about 1500 SLRs produced while LFA is only 500.

If you look to history, the other supercar Toyota produced was the 2000 GT back in the 1960s with 363 units produced. To this day, they sell for 8 - 10 times their original cost with mint condition one's going for $200,000 and more.

Regarding LFA vs Aventador, you need to ask yourself what your preferences are. Both cars according to comparisons offer vastly different experiences.

I would recommend you reading the full comparison review of LFA vs Aventador done by British Car magazine. They preferred the driving experience of LFA, but the brute power and presence of Aventador made them prefer that car.

Their summary went something like this

Lexus LFA:

- 600 lbs lighter and much compact, smaller dimensions lead to less inertia and unsprung mass in the corners to fight.
- Better handling and much more agile and tossable in the corner. Easy to make it dance in the corners.
- The F1 V10 9500 rpm revving engine sound is considered pretty much among the best
- The throttle response is impossible for any current car in production
- Lexus/Toyota reliability and quality of interior favors LFA.
- LFA NE holds the record of 7:14 Nurburgring lap time of all cars on only street tires
- The actual real life MSRP of LFA is much cheaper than that of the Aventador

Aventador:

- 600 lbs heavier
- Completely insane 691 HP from the V12 and exceptionally fast in a straight line
- AWD traction and handling combined with Corsa super-slick tires, but prone to understeer around the track
- The prestige and aura of Lamborghini
- The scissor doors
- V12 engine revs up to 8300 rpm
- They already have produced 1000 of them in just 1 year

So short answer is, if you like brutal amount of power then Aventador is a good choice while if you like a car with what Car magazine called "multi layered" experience then LFA would be the car to pick.

All the best with your decision.
Thanks for that. yeah Out here lamborghinis and ferraris have been played out. Almost everyone who makes it goes for one and i already see about 2-3 aventadors everyday. Especially at the mall. It loses it appeal after a while.

Ive yet to see an LFA on the road though. Theres just one in the country that the dealer bought and it was a white one and that went straight to storage.

Anyway, ill schedule an appointment sometime this week and actually drive the thing to see how it feels. It looks and feels like a scalpel from what i experienced. Just so well made, almost clinical execution ... loved it.

Will keep you guys posted.
Old 07-29-12, 05:52 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Can you please post a detailed review once you get to drive?? Some pictures and videos would be great as well.

Originally Posted by KalEl1
Thanks for that. yeah Out here lamborghinis and ferraris have been played out. Almost everyone who makes it goes for one and i already see about 2-3 aventadors everyday. Especially at the mall. It loses it appeal after a while.

Ive yet to see an LFA on the road though. Theres just one in the country that the dealer bought and it was a white one and that went straight to storage.

Anyway, ill schedule an appointment sometime this week and actually drive the thing to see how it feels. It looks and feels like a scalpel from what i experienced. Just so well made, almost clinical execution ... loved it.

Will keep you guys posted.
Old 07-30-12, 01:29 AM
DOC4LEX
Pole Position

Flip very rare LFA indeed i am from South Africa we got only 3 coming and sold out ,but Lambo,Porches,Ferraris are so common on the Road thier depricate very quickly but ,even GTR are a rare sight which makes them aslo exelcusive here but not limited in production.So with out a doubt go for it Mate!!
Old 08-01-12, 07:17 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

My personal opinion is that if depreciation is at all a concern, then cars just make no sense... and especially not exotics. The LFA is no exception to this rule. I've commented on the depreciation issue as far as the LFA in many posts/threads on this forum, such as here.

Certainly, the value of the LFA will be affected by a number of factors, such as whether it is sold out in a specific country.
Old 08-01-12, 08:09 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

All I have to say is Toyota/Lexus stated that they would lose a considerable amount of money for each LFA sold.

Their loss is most definitely your WIN.

The LFA is a masterpiece of engineering and is the pride and joy of Toyota's legacy.

Do it!
Old 08-02-12, 04:06 PM
KalEl1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Can you please post a detailed review once you get to drive?? Some pictures and videos would be great as well.
Id have taken pics the first time if they allowed it. Their logic is that since the car is super rare, the person who buys it might not want pics of it floating around. I had to go through a question and answer session where they asked me about my previous cars and even my business.

And when i asked to drive it, they declined because 'the car is not for demo purposes' and isnt allowed outside the storage area of the dealer. They have it covered and under constant cctv surveillance.

Cant say i enjoyed being declined to drive it, but i did get a very detailed tour this time.

I love the car no doubt, the look and feel is amazing and the interior is centuries ahead of the aventador. The engine sounds like nothing else. Seats are probably the best ive ever sat in and the digital dash made me feel like i was sitting in the pilots seat of an airplane, not a car. oh and the sound system made me go WOW, i didnt expect itll be as good as it was.

Overall it feels more engineered than the lamborghini. Plus it has actual usable rear visibility unlike the aventador where you just look straight ahead.

ANd I love the proportions, in the aventador you cant see the hood most of the time and while it enhances the sensation of speed, i like the more classic, long hood, short deck proportions that the LFA has.

As for the depreciation thing. I dont want to buy and hold the car, i will drive it..I just dont want to lose 200k in two years when i let it go. I got a gtr in 09, wrecked and rebuilt it in 2011 to about 1300hp and lost about 120k in the process (80k modifications, 40k to fix two accidents)..

I dont want to go through that again.
Old 08-02-12, 08:34 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Cool thanks.

Id have taken pics the first time if they allowed it. Their logic is that since the car is super rare, the person who buys it might not want pics of it floating around. I had to go through a question and answer session where they asked me about my previous cars and even my business.

And when i asked to drive it, they declined because 'the car is not for demo purposes' and isnt allowed outside the storage area of the dealer. They have it covered and under constant cctv surveillance.

Cant say i enjoyed being declined to drive it, but i did get a very detailed tour this time.

I love the car no doubt, the look and feel is amazing and the interior is centuries ahead of the aventador. The engine sounds like nothing else. Seats are probably the best ive ever sat in and the digital dash made me feel like i was sitting in the pilots seat of an airplane, not a car. oh and the sound system made me go WOW, i didnt expect itll be as good as it was.

Overall it feels more engineered than the lamborghini. Plus it has actual usable rear visibility unlike the aventador where you just look straight ahead.

ANd I love the proportions, in the aventador you cant see the hood most of the time and while it enhances the sensation of speed, i like the more classic, long hood, short deck proportions that the LFA has.

As for the depreciation thing. I dont want to buy and hold the car, i will drive it..I just dont want to lose 200k in two years when i let it go. I got a gtr in 09, wrecked and rebuilt it in 2011 to about 1300hp and lost about 120k in the process (80k modifications, 40k to fix two accidents)..

Old 08-02-12, 08:38 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Thats because its a GTR...its true.

Thanks for sharing your experience, have you decided to buy the LFA yet?
Old 08-02-12, 09:26 PM
jstrummer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering that a door shell is about 28K http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...-LFA-2012.html, and a fender about 18k, 40k to fix two accidents might seem cheap.

Any concern about availability of parts in a few years?

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting an LFA