Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Aftermarket HID problem concerning replacement ballasts

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-03, 08:22 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket HID problem concerning replacement ballasts

Sorry I could not give a more precise subject but that is the best I could think of. I ordered a set of HID's from Jason at DiscountCycle back in April and installed my HID's a few days later. Unfortunately, the HID's have since gone sour.

A few weeks ago I noticed a considerable change from my HID's. One was always a small amount brighter but not a big deal. Now, the one light is much much brighter then the other and after talking to Henry and Brendan, I have come to the conclusion that it is either the battery or ballasts. Since the ballasts are under warranty, I figured to give them a shot first. Unfortunately again, I received this response from Jason...

Sorry for the late reply...I've been extremely busy this week. I
will be shipping you a set of ballasts shortly, but because of
the DOT ban on HID kits I cannot offer the ballasts with the two
wire connection- you will have to modify the plug yourself.

What does he mean? Modify the plug myself? I am not very mechanically inclined to be messing around with this type of stuff and possibly ruining something. Does anyone have any idea what this means?

-Anthony
Old 11-20-03, 08:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

oh man, umm..... this might be tough. i will have to see pics of the new ballasts and the connector to see how hard it is. i SUPPOSE you can just cut off the plug on the new ballasts, and there shoudl be 2 wires inside where you can connect with the old plugs from the old ballast. but without more pics and details, i won't be sure
Old 11-21-03, 04:58 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Henry you are on the right track. I think what will happen is he will send you a regular ballast with the typical d2r/s connector on the end. You will have to remove this end and put on connectors that will match your bulb connector type. If he ever sends them to you I can help you do the conversion if you like. Its not too dificult.
Old 11-21-03, 05:30 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Letsride
Henry you are on the right track. I think what will happen is he will send you a regular ballast with the typical d2r/s connector on the end. You will have to remove this end and put on connectors that will match your bulb connector type. If he ever sends them to you I can help you do the conversion if you like. Its not too dificult.
I'd love help but your all the way in Cali. I'd love to take your advice over the net though.

-Anthony
Old 11-21-03, 09:44 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Captain -

Post pics of the new ballast as well. I too bought from Jason earlier this year....so far no big issues.

Pete
Old 11-21-03, 02:25 PM
killerlex
Rookie

most HIDs being sold out there are junk. 1 of the ballast ALWAYS burns out with in 6 months of installing, stick with phillips brand, you will never go through this again,also try to put a relay in,it will help make it last longer. i bet the shop tries everything to avoid giving you another ballast, because the shop most likely will have to break up a set of hid to get you a ballast, SINCE the company that makes these HIDs,NEVER offer to sell replacement parts and warranty is non existant with these companies, these HIDs are made overseas in factories that care only in it for profit not for quality or safety or durability ..
Old 11-21-03, 02:38 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by killerlex
most HIDs being sold out there are junk. 1 of the ballast ALWAYS burns out with in 6 months of installing, stick with phillips brand, you will never go through this again,also try to put a relay in,it will help make it last longer. i bet the shop tries everything to avoid giving you another ballast, because the shop most likely will have to break up a set of hid to get you a ballast, SINCE the company that makes these HIDs,NEVER offer to sell replacement parts and warranty is non existant with these companies, these HIDs are made overseas in factories that care only in it for profit not for quality or safety or durability ..
Well.. quite the opposite.
1. They are Phillips
2. I am getting two replacements for free.
3. Jason is reputable and trusted.
4. No problem getting replacements because they are under warranty.

-Anthony
Old 11-23-03, 08:20 AM
Letsride

Originally posted by Captain Bone
I'd love help but your all the way in Cali. I'd love to take your advice over the net though.

-Anthony
North Carolina!!
Old 11-23-03, 09:04 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Letsride
North Carolina!!
LOL\. I must of read it real quick and thought it said North California. Well still too far but closer then before.

Thanks though.

-Anthony
Old 11-23-03, 03:04 PM
Letsride

NP PM me when you get them if you need help
Old 11-24-03, 03:39 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

First of all I would like to give a HUGE Thumbs Up to Jason at Discount Cycle. Very stand up guy and very informative.

Second of all I would like to take a bow as the BIGGEST retart on the east coast.

I got the amazing idea that maybe, just maybe it could be the headlights out of alignment and that when I aligned them before, I was messing with the wrong screw.

I was right.

Twenty minutes later.. Success! lol.. I feel so stupid.

-Anthony

Last edited by Captain Bone; 11-24-03 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-28-03, 06:51 PM
lcc014
Driver

I too bought the kit from Jason, and then passenger side is always a bit dimmer than the driver side. I tried to swap the bulbs between the driver side and passenger side, no difference. Then I email Jason for a replacement ballast, it took a couple emails before he responded back to me. Later he told me that he was getting a new shippment of ballast but not the 9006 type base. It was a standard d2r/s type connector. I needed to modify it myself. I told Jason that was fine. Finally, the ballast came. To my surprise, it was not a Phillip ballast. Even worst, it was a used Audi ballast from Hella. I was very disappointed about his after sale support.

rominl supposed to talk to Jason about the ballast incident for me, but so far I heard nothing from him !!

I keep my finger cross to hope that the kit will last at least 1 year. So far passenger side is still dimmer than the driver side.

People out there who claimed that they had good support from Jason were very lucky. I guess that must be before the HID ban. The support I got from Jason after HID ban was not a good one!!!

Ching-Ho Cheng
Old 12-02-03, 02:23 PM
99SHlude
Rookie

Companies like HIDs4less no longer import HID equipment. You have to understand that it is illegal for a company to import the ballasts with the modified connections. I ordered a set for my motorcycle from another company and they wouldn't even offer any support after the ban, simply because they can't import any more HID components. An aftermarket HID kit is different from what is found in a factory HID equipped vehicle. The modified plug, rebasing, etc--that is all non-DOT approved equipment. The fine is several thousands for breaking these rules.

As for ballasts, Hella and Philips are the same. Hella actually makes the ballasts for Philips. Philips ballasts are Hella units with a Philips sticker thrown on top of them. Most Audi's use Hella ballasts...

How old is your kit anyways? For a lot of electrical products, you usually don't get brand new parts or equipment for warranty replacement. My Motorolla phone died shortly and was replaced with a refurbished version from AT&T. This is the same for a lot of manufacturer replaced items; sometimes they won't even tell you they are reconditioned.

Last edited by 99SHlude; 12-02-03 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-02-03, 04:23 PM
lcc014
Driver

My kit is about 6 months old. So, I am one of the unlucky one who got no support after the ban.

Ching-Ho Cheng