Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HID Retrofit Question for 1997 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-03, 01:17 PM
SDnative

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Retrofit Question for 1997 SC400

Need help from my fellow Lexus owners-

HID kits commercially available online, at performance shops, and accessory shops include two of the three essential components in HID systems: (1) the HID bulb, and (2) the HID ballast. The missing factor here is (3) the HID optics. The HID optics are the main components that make up a projector/reflector assembly (reflector bowl, lens, shield, D2 base, etc). Without this third leg of the equation, you will still definitely achieve brighter lighting on the road, but you will not achieve the advertised 3200 lumen brightness, you will not achieve the signature color flicker seen in BMWs, and you will not achieve a proper beam pattern. Because of this, a subculture of retrofitters has emerged, salvaging OEM HID parts from wrecking yards, ebay, and other sources, in order to transplant identical systems into their own non-HID cars, and thus emulating the OEM HID lighting system. Most of these retrofitters congregate at the Philips Lighting Forum to exchange ideas, industry news, and retrofitting tips. Many of them will offer up their expertise and services to create a custom OEM retrofit into your own car. OEM conversions offer much more in the way of lighting performance, wow factor, and quality compared to plug and play kits.

1. Philips has a HID kit for my car but what will I have to do about HID optics retrofit right for an 1997 SC400.?

2. Is there a place to get it all done to achieve the color flicker seen in BMW's?

3. Or does the Philips 6000k kit being sold today does achieve the color flicker seen in BMW's?
Old 12-17-03, 09:40 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.illusion-lighting.com supposedly does HID optic retrofits. I dont know anyone who has dealt with them before though.

-Brian.
Old 12-18-03, 01:59 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There's a few options for todays aspiring retrofitter. The first would be check with Illusion on the west coast. They do good work and one of the owners is a member here that posts from time to time nowadays. His name here is See_Fu (can't rember if its one u or 2). The next option would be the new up and coming company out on the east coast. I forget the name but you can find alot about them and the other guys on www.hidforum.com. Definately check that site out BEFORE you doa anything. And the third but BEST option would be to do it your self. It builds a new but crazy relationship between you and your ride in some way and with ample research and development, ANYONE can do this. I did my own for the first time. Although it was a learning experience and took some time (one to two evenings), I was able to pull it off. Today I have the OEM BMW flicker but more importantly the actual light pattern and beam theat helps so much while driving at night. I will never go back to halogen again EVER!!!! But more importantly, do yourself a favor and research ALOT before you try and do anything. With the proper knowledge, you can build yourself the right package for considerably what it takes to purchase an HID kit but in this case you'll have everything you need (optics and all). FOR EXAMPLE, a member here LEX400SC did the same exact project you want to do but to his 95 SC400. Check out his thread for ideas.

HEre's the links:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ID+lexus+sc400
and
http://www.intellexual.net/

Good luck bro. You can also do a search under my name for details on my project step by step.

Here's a breakdown of what it will consist of for you (as far as what you'll need)

1. 2 HID ballasts...i.e Philips D2 are a good variety and are easy to find. If you shop right, you should be able to snag a set for under 150.00

2. Wire harness...they run about 10-15 bucks EBAY

3. HID bulbs. Here's the tricky part....OEM HID color is 4300K Philips and 4100K OSRAM. The differences are miniscule...Philips puts our more bluer...whitish light while OSRAM uses more yellowish color bulbs. Depending on the optics, you can pull off pretty cool light color tricks between the two bulbs. Most 99-01 euro cars featured OSRAM bulbs. I know the Acura TLs from 99-current use OSRAM bulbs. However, Philips is what most automakers are using today anyways. Either of those will be fine for you. THey run about 60-80 bucks a pair on EBAY. Do a search under D2S and knock yourself out with all the low prices you'll find there.

4. Last but not least, the optic system. Now your car has the largest diameter in the world of Lexus projectors. This is actually a good thing because, the larger the diameter, the more light gets put out and the better the projector (in some cases). Either way, that means that you actually have several choices. you can shop for a pair of E39 (current 5 series BMW) non-bi-xenon projectors meaning your HID functions as lowbeam and your current high beam setup (not sure on SCs) stays the same (assuming you have both 9006 and 9005 bulbs seperate) OR you can go for the new Bi-xenon setup meaning you use only one projector that works as both Hi and Lo beam via an internal shield that shifts postitions creating more light at yoru command as you need it. Either way, both sets projectors can be had for under 200.00 (more like 160.00). The new Audi A6 uses the exact same Bi-xenon and those are easy to find on EBay. Just search D2S and look for them.

NOW there's this talk about ECE (European versions of the projectors known as E code) vs. DOT (American versions) types of projectors out there. I suggest you do your research about that topic on the HID FAQ. However, I would jump on the ECE ones whatever chance you get because they provide the most color flicker in their cuttoff pattern than any other projectors on the market. These guys are rare so when you see them, jump on them Immediately. They look like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2447771486

In fact these are the ones you need for your car (because of the size)

And finally if you're gonna do it yourself, you're gonna need a dremmel saw set for the cutting and modding, velcro industrial strength (you can find this at Walgreens for like 4.00) maybe a few solderless wire connectors (radio shack sells these for 1.69 for like ten), black electric tape and alot of patience. MAke sure you research the topic throughly until you can't take it no more then begin the project once you understand everthing. If you need help PM me I'll be here to assist if you decide to do it yourself.

In the spring I plan to mod my car further by upgrading from what I have now (DOT BMW E46 3series projectors) to the ECE ones I just showed you. I did some tests on the same projectors and man did those babies flicker!!!!! check this out if you want an idea of how purple they can get....

Good luck bro
Old 12-19-03, 07:04 PM
=BANKS=
Rookie

Tiguy, I will definantly be askin you questions by the time summer comes near, cause im planning on doing the same retrofit project. By the way, that beam light lokes awesome!!...cant wait for the summer.
Old 12-20-03, 12:01 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry guys about the delay. I had the pleasure of finding out the name of the NEw Jersey Company. Its called HIDtech and I've seen those guys do a good job on their projects. (Like Illusion). Either way, check them out (Damn!! I wish I got paid for saying that).

And ohh yeah below is a run down on how much I actually spent doing my project.

1. Ballasts PIAA D1 style (seperate starter/ignitor) 129.00 HID FAQ Classified

2. Pair of Brand New Philips (current) 4300K D2S bulbs = 65 shipped EBAY ***At the time I was using OSRAM 4100K bulbs which I bought $60 shipped from the HID FAQ classified section as slightly used less than 2 hours burn time...the last seven years uder normal use)

3. Set of BMW E46 3 series 2001 Non-bi-xenon projectors(retain the OEM factory Highbeam) 180 shipped EBAY

4. Had my harness/relay custom made by former Clublexus member for 10.00 shipped (instructions included)

5. Electric tape 2.00 (Walgreens/CVS)

6. Radio Shack brand wire connectors 1.69 for a set of ten

7. Dremmel Cutting saw set 49.99

6 months of Research, Development, Patience and perfection.....priceless
(Keep in mind I had not discovered www.hidforum.com and I stumbled across the faq like the week before I began my project....the same time it took me can be cut down to 2-4 weeks for the serious aspiring retrofitter)

Last edited by tiguy99; 12-20-03 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-22-03, 10:27 AM
I QuiKSilvR I
Driver

Thumbs up Illusion-LIghting

I've had my headlights done by Illusion-LIghting and they have done a nice job. The retrofit was done in less than a day.. I have a 2000 GS and had my headlights retroffited with BMW 5-series projectors.. Pictures can be found by doing a search,..