Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HID's is it worth the money? check it out

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-04 | 11:34 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

HID's OWN YOU.

it's like saying silverstars are the shizz, and hid's are no comparison.

HID'S - get them, use them, love them.
Old 01-11-04 | 09:33 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

This dude that said he had the catz hid for my car all of a sudden is avoiding my calls,hmmmmm.....maybe he can't get them
Old 01-21-04 | 11:20 PM
hd54321
Driver School Candidate

I got a 98 ES300. I just installed a set of McCulloch 5300k HID's. The install was a *****! You have to remove the battery to get proper access to the driver's assembly. Also, the biggest trouble I have had with HID's is not so much their installation but the aiming and tweaking that goes along with it.

The HID's are plug and play but the plastic adaptor that comes with the bulb makes all the difference. If you remove the rubber grommet from the low beam assembly, you will notice that the light is held in place by a metal clamp. The problem is that the regular H7 halogen bulbs are made for the socket and fit perfectly. The HID's have a plastic adaptor piece that fits loosely over the bulb so that you can play around with it and fit it to any assembly (think of it in terms of a universal adaptor). Since the bulb and its adaptor aren't completely like the old H7 halogen bulb, the fit isn't as snug and it doesn't feel normal when closing the clamp over the adaptor. You have to play around with it to make sure it is angled correctly and that there is enough room for the metal clamp to close over it and hold it down. This is the hardest and worst part.

I don't know if it was the kit or what but the swap was not as easy as I would have thought. In addition, as many other people have stated here, putting HID's in a car that is not designed for them is a disappointment. I can tell you right now that the reflector just doesn't know what to do with all the light and doesn't direct it in the right place - no matter how you adjust the lights. You end up with a screwed up pattern that doesn't even remotely get close to the pattern of a car with factory HID's (this includes projectors or reflectors). I am pretty sure I installed my lights correctly - they don't blind oncoming traffic and both sides emit the same pattern onto a white wall (by the way, my HID's project a crescent/half-circle shape at their most concentrated point instead of a thick dash like the old halogens) but I just can't get a clean pattern with. I have spent hours tweaking the HID's but this is the best I could do and they are still pointing way too low. I can't tell you how many times I told myself that I wish I just ponied up the $ for a 2000 ES300 just to have factory HID's w/ autoleveling.

My rant is over BUT, I will say even with all that disappointment, I am very pleased since I get to see a heck of a lot more road due to the increased light output. The pattern is messed up but its 1000% better than halogens.

On another point, I also put in PIAA Ion Crystal bulbs into my foglights and they SUCK! When you look directly at them, they look very washed out. Almost like an old halogen bulb. Looking at them head on, they don't look like yellow lights (like on the IS300) - they look like ricer bulbs that have been washed out. BUT, the light output is great (at least from the driver's seat). If you look at the light output on the ground from the driver's seat, it emits a broad yellow beam. I am thinking of switching them out with a PIAA xtreme white bulb soon just to get a greater light output and of course for the looks.

Please ask me any questions. I have pictures of my setup if anyone wants. FYI - I got my HID's for ~$260 from ebay. Just do a search for McCulloch 5300k kits (I think the seller was named hidseller). He ships from Hong Kong and some of his auctions have ended as low as $165 (!!!!).

-HD

Last edited by hd54321; 01-21-04 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-22-04 | 05:49 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Excellent post hd54321 Good resource info for us with 2nd-gen ES's. I've always had a strong feeling that aftermarket HID kits are not as easily installable as, say, the '98-'01 GS. I agree that the beam pattern in our ES's won't be achieved like in normal HID setups, and that's why it's optimal to install HIDs into a headlamp housing designed for HIDs
Old 01-22-04 | 01:00 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

ok my HIDs were no where near that hard to install.... i didn't have rebased bulbs though.... and my es was 94.....

yea HIDs are seriously badass and the install was quite easy, although i know a little about wiring already....

i have never gotten HID kits from ebay, so i don't know how good they are, but as you said.... even with your messed up beam pattern, they are 1000% better.... so i guess that proves it, it was definitely worth it.

im looking for HIDs for my audi and i might check ebay now....
Old 11-23-04 | 02:51 PM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

quick question. on the stock headlight harness there is a red wire and a white wire. which is positive?