Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Head Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-04 | 10:14 AM
NesTea420
Pole Position

Question Head Lights

I like to change my day time running light and the head lights to the bright blue color...what type of blubs should I buy? I have a 2000 Lexus GS. I looked on ebay they have these blue dome lights for gs3 and gs4 would they fit the day time running lights? Thanks.
Old 01-15-04 | 10:39 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

the middle bulbs r those puch in bulbs 196 i think but not sure about running lights ...
Old 01-15-04 | 03:58 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

ok, when you say day time running lites. Do you mean the high beam? on some cars, the high beam runs at a lower wattage when the headlights are on. If thats what your talking about, the high beam is 9005 bulb. Do you have the Factory HID lights? If not, then your normal headlights are 9006 bulbs.

Now there is a little bulb which is also in the high beam section. It is below the high beam. That is a normal 194 bulb. BUT if you want i to be actually bright..get a polarg m-6 bulbs. they are very bright
Old 01-16-04 | 06:22 AM
NesTea420
Pole Position

Originally posted by koreanpers
ok, when you say day time running lites. Do you mean the high beam? on some cars, the high beam runs at a lower wattage when the headlights are on. If thats what your talking about, the high beam is 9005 bulb. Do you have the Factory HID lights? If not, then your normal headlights are 9006 bulbs.

Now there is a little bulb which is also in the high beam section. It is below the high beam. That is a normal 194 bulb. BUT if you want i to be actually bright..get a polarg m-6 bulbs. they are very bright
Thanks for the input.

I don't have the factory HID lights...mine are just regular lights. I just want to change the bulbs so that it will have a hint of blue color in then...but now sure what bulbs to get for head lights and my day time running lights (the 2 inner lights which are always on). Thanks. I am not sure if I am clear on this
Old 01-16-04 | 08:01 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

high beams (also daytime running lites) are 9005
regular beams are 9006

I have the factory hid headlights. i have streetglow super whites for highs, fogs.

Last edited by koreanpers; 01-16-04 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-16-04 | 09:10 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Originally posted by NesTea420
Thanks for the input.

I don't have the factory HID lights...mine are just regular lights. I just want to change the bulbs so that it will have a hint of blue color in then...but now sure what bulbs to get for head lights and my day time running lights (the 2 inner lights which are always on). Thanks. I am not sure if I am clear on this
It seems like you want the look of HID in your car. I'd recommend the Sylvania Silverstar headlamp bulbs for your application. While they are not HID, they are about as close to HID as they come (very white/bright light, and stands out from regular halogens). They are somewhat pricey at $28/bulb, but do their job pretty well for a high-end halogen. The PIAA bulbs are pretty nice as well (with very high light output).

If I were you, I'd stick with a high quality brand and skip some of the no name bulbs on Ebay to avoid some potential headaches. Some of those no-name bulbs are just regular halogen bulbs with a blue tint painted on them, so while they give the "bluish" color, they are nonetheless very dim (dangerious as you can't see as well) and look cheap to any other oncoming driver. That's why I suggest staying with the brands above for their bright light output and near-HID appearance.

Here's a couple of links that you might be interested in:

http://www.brandsport.com/perlig105.html

http://www.brandsport.com/bulcomchar.html

http://www.brandsports.com/piaacharts/lexus.html

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 01-16-04 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-16-04 | 12:51 PM
NesTea420
Pole Position

Originally posted by SeattleGS400
It seems like you want the look of HID in your car. I'd recommend the Sylvania Silverstar headlamp bulbs for your application. While they are not HID, they are about as close to HID as they come (very white/bright light, and stands out from regular halogens). They are somewhat pricey at $28/bulb, but do their job pretty well for a high-end halogen. The PIAA bulbs are pretty nice as well (with very high light output).

If I were you, I'd stick with a high quality brand and skip some of the no name bulbs on Ebay to avoid some potential headaches. Some of those no-name bulbs are just regular halogen bulbs with a blue tint painted on them, so while they give the "bluish" color, they are nonetheless very dim (dangerious as you can't see as well) and look cheap to any other oncoming driver. That's why I suggest staying with the brands above for their bright light output and near-HID appearance.

Here's a couple of links that you might be interested in:

http://www.brandsport.com/perlig105.html

http://www.brandsport.com/bulcomchar.html

http://www.brandsports.com/piaacharts/lexus.html
Thanks!! I will look into this...your info is very helpful. I'd rather pay a little more and get the better product, well at least when it comes to bulbs...I need to be able to see.
Old 01-16-04 | 01:46 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

just one more footnote. u can buy those bulbs on ebay..just make sure that the seller is selling the true sylvania bulbs. not immitation. if in doubt email us and we can look.

Personally, i have bought all my Street Glow bulbs off of ebay. but SeattleGS400 is correct, dont buy no name brand lights off ebay. make sure they are name brand
Old 01-17-04 | 07:56 PM
NesTea420
Pole Position

Originally posted by koreanpers
just one more footnote. u can buy those bulbs on ebay..just make sure that the seller is selling the true sylvania bulbs. not immitation. if in doubt email us and we can look.

Personally, i have bought all my Street Glow bulbs off of ebay. but SeattleGS400 is correct, dont buy no name brand lights off ebay. make sure they are name brand
Thanks for all your advice...I will start looking on e-bay for the name brand, If I can find I will go to a car shop some here in Philly. Just can't wait to put all my mods up for this Spring.
Old 01-17-04 | 09:29 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

also, you can go to street glows website. to buy the bulbs direct.