Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Uh...is my headlight bulb close to being burnt out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-04, 09:05 AM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh...is my headlight bulb close to being burnt out?

Okay, so I'm pulling in my driveway last night when I notice that my driver's side headlight isn't on. I then turned off my headlights and then turned it back on. Now both of the lights turned on.

But then, the driver's side turned off again. I repeated the same steps above of clicking the headlight switch back one notch and then clicking on the headlights and both turned on.

Does anyone know what this is? Is it a loose wire? Is it that my bulb is about to burn out?
Old 03-07-04, 09:37 AM
Navaz
Pole Position

Default Time to relace them.

I had the same thing happen to me last summer, ended up relacing both HID bulbs at the same time.
Old 03-07-04, 09:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

try to jiggle the connectors to make sure notning is lose?

maybe the bulbs are dying...
Old 03-07-04, 10:09 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Yup, the driver's side bulb is definitely going out slowly.....

I was driving tonight and saw that my headlight color had turned from bright white to a pale pink.

Looks like I'll be looking for some 8000K light bulbs...

Now, if I get non-OEM bulbs, will the auto-levelers not work?

Also, what would ya'll recommend I go with for replacing my bulbs?

Last edited by kevs; 03-07-04 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-08-04, 07:00 AM
whatuusay1
Driver

ew.....8000k...... Id really stick with 6000k.... read up on HID's before jumping to the 8k. www.hidforum.com is a good source - they have some excelent write-ups about the actualy light output between the 4000-6000-8000-+ HID's and you lose light output if you go higher than stock.... unless you get higher output balasts... but of course you get the pretty blue :P

As for your question - yes the replacement bulb just fits in and the stock auto-leveling will work as it should.

Andrew
Old 03-08-04, 07:31 AM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by whatuusay1
ew.....8000k...... Id really stick with 6000k.... read up on HID's before jumping to the 8k. www.hidforum.com is a good source - they have some excelent write-ups about the actualy light output between the 4000-6000-8000-+ HID's and you lose light output if you go higher than stock.... unless you get higher output balasts... but of course you get the pretty blue :P

As for your question - yes the replacement bulb just fits in and the stock auto-leveling will work as it should.

Andrew
Okay, since I've never really looked into bulb replacement until now, what's the bulb type for OEM HID's?

Can anyone post pics of their non-OEM HID bulbs turned on at night?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT - Could my ballast be burned out and that's what's causing the pinkish hue?

Last edited by kevs; 03-08-04 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-08-04, 09:00 AM
whatuusay1
Driver

Hmm - check out the lighting forum...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=77044

the bulb type vary's between years and models.... so read up
here is a pic of mine (1999 GS400.... yes...with the 8000k bulbs.... i have regretted it and will be getting the 6000k instead.

Andrew

ps - deffinetally sounds like the bulbs to me - mine blinked on and off for a week before they went out

Last edited by whatuusay1; 03-08-04 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-08-04, 09:24 AM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, it looks like my 1998 GS400 OEM HID bulbs are 9006.

I saw a couple email addresses of who to write, but which brands are the best to go with?

Also, do we need to wipe these bulbs with rubbing alcohol and a soft cloth to get off the dust before we put it in? I remember doing this with previous headlight bulbs I've had....
Old 03-08-04, 09:35 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Uhhh....i believe that the OEM HID bulbs are not 9006, maybe the fogs are but the HIDS are either D2S or D2R and our GS is D2S.
Old 03-08-04, 11:00 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HOW MUCH DOES A SET OF THE STOCK HID'S COST??

My HID's are fine for now, but I plan to stay stock. Any one know the cost of the stock replacement bulbs?

Thanks
GSEREP1
99GS4
Alpine Silver / Black Interior
K&N air filter
AMSOIL SERIES 2000 0W-30 Engine oil and filter
AMSOIL Universal Synthetic Transmission Fluid in transmission and power steering
AMSOIL Synthetic 75-90 Gear oil for differential
AMSOIL Propylene Glycol Antifreeze (replacing Toyota's red ethylene glycol antifreeze)
Old 03-08-04, 12:18 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gsnav
Uhhh....i believe that the OEM HID bulbs are not 9006, maybe the fogs are but the HIDS are either D2S or D2R and our GS is D2S.
So the bulb part number is called D2S? I read about that style, but didn't know that it was a bulb type.

So I'd need a D2S bulb to replace my headlight bulbs? If so, which ones and who would you recommend?
Old 03-08-04, 12:44 PM
Navaz
Pole Position

Way back in 1999 when my car was still under warrrenty My passenger side HID turned pink, They ended up having to replace the HID computer system, I hope that is not the case for you, and if so I hope you have warrenty. Last year when by bulb was burned out, it just would not turn on all the time the colour however never turned pink, if anything they were more blue. I know that because when lexus relaced my bulbs, the new one's (OEM) where really white.
Old 03-08-04, 01:48 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was under the impression that one of the advantages of me having Xenon lights was that they would pretty much never have to be replaced... guess that's not the case?

How long is their average life expectancy compared to a standard halogen bulb found in, say, a 98 GS400 without Xenon?

Also, a simple halogen bulb costs between 3 and 25 dollars to replace if you go to your local autozone... what does a Xenon bulb cost? I hope it's not like a grand or something crazy like I see the complete Xenon kits themselves costing! If that's the case I'll never buy another Xenon-equipped car again, because that kind of maintinance cost just to have brighter/cooler looking lights is not worth it at ALL.

My dealer already replaced my entire assembly in my 99 GS400 about a year ago because of condensation built up on the inside. The new ones have a noticably different hue to them, and so far have had no problems with them other than my passenger side seems to project its beem about 6 inches further down the road than my driver's side... even with the autoleveling feature.

The head service manager at my dealership told me that Xenon lights use amplifiers and that often times its not a bulb that has to be replaced but rather than amp. How would you know which it is that needs to be replaced? Or is there no amp at all?
Old 03-08-04, 08:01 PM
whatuusay1
Driver

Hmm - cant say about the pinkness.... although i know when my bulb went out it flickered and turned different shades of blue and white....

They really do last a long time - i got 4-5 years outa mine before i had to replace them. If you take it to a dealer... prepare for the rapin.... i was told it would be 375 for the bulb (one bulb) and then additional 75 for installation...plus tax. Anyways... dont do that - check out ebay or search the forums because you can find them much cheaper (i found a set - two bulbs - for 120) and the installation was a beoch... but well worth the 75 I saved. You just need to take your time and read through some of the posts detailing how to change them.

Andrew
Old 03-08-04, 09:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

guys, you need to get something straight.......

9006 is for halogen housing.....

hid housing on the GS are ALL d2r, it has NEVER changed a single bit on the 2nd gen gs. what changed is the color of the housing, not the bulbs. it's always been 4100k

Quick Reply: Uh...is my headlight bulb close to being burnt out?