Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Jus Installed my HID

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-04, 10:22 PM
Alexusoftime
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jus Installed my HID

well I bought my HID kit from one of our members (KVA) it is 6000K hid kit.....well it really looks good....I might say but....it seems like the spread isn't all there, does any one know the reason for this, is it my headlights or what... and also does it suppose to make a straight line on the wall when facing it or what, because mines doesn't....it looks good but doesn't shine as bright as I wanted it too be, aslo could it be the HID Kit itself or Housing etc....any input would be nice thanks guys
Old 03-22-04, 11:32 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is probably the housing. The HID and halogen housings have a different reflector configuration to maximize the light output. The halogen cutoff will be more "blurred" since your housing (I assume halogen) were not meant for the HID light intensity.
Old 03-23-04, 12:12 AM
Alexusoftime
Lead Lap

really is it the inner housing part....i really can't tell the different between the two...so neo your saying if get the HID housing the spread will be much better do you think?
Old 03-23-04, 01:03 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Alexusoftime
really is it the inner housing part....i really can't tell the different between the two...so neo your saying if get the HID housing the spread will be much better do you think?
Yes. The problem is since you got a 9006 kit for the halogen housing, it won't fit in the HID housings. You would have to rig the socket somehow to keep things in place.
Old 03-23-04, 01:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

two problems there. first of all the housing isn't hid housing so the reflectors setup are different. plus you have the d2s bulbs instead of the d2r bulbs so that's causing the glare too. it would be very hard to make the cutoff you want, but you should be close. when i had the hid kits the cutoff wasn't perfect but most light was still on the lower part.

second, you don't seem to get enough light coz' of the bulbs. the bulbs are blue right? those aren't true 6000k hid setup. true 6000k hid (philips and osram) they have clear glass and they ignite at 6000k. the one you have they don't ignite at 6000k (i bet they ignite at 4100k) so they have the blue glass to change the color temperature to 6000k. the philips have clear glass. the problem with the blue glass is that yes you get the color but the light output is dramatically reduced. that's why you have less light.

ask neo, he has my old philips 6000k hid kits. i believe he has more usable light on the road.
Old 03-23-04, 01:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

regarding fix, for the housing you can't really do much. you can probably try to aim the headlights down a bit and that will aim more light on the road, but in terms of the light pattern, what you have is what you have.

for the light output, there is just nthing you can do, it's the bulb itself
Old 03-23-04, 04:06 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Rom, one edit, those bulbs are not blue they are clear.

I was driving a 00 GS3 with a pretty much identical kit on it the other day and I really like the output on the ground, there are some pretty dark streets/roads here and it really casted a nice light on the road, I did not feel uncomfotable. Also they twisted right in, no mods to the housing!
Old 03-23-04, 09:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

at least from the pics of the hid kits KVA was selling, the bulbs were blue? i might be wrong...
Old 03-23-04, 12:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=113595

looks like the bulbs are blue?
Old 03-23-04, 04:20 PM
Alexusoftime
Lead Lap

yeah the bulb is blue guys.....so can i just buy a phillips bulb or something that is similiar to get the better output of it.......is the bulb d2s...whats the different from d2r...i'm all lost in these lighting issues...so neo the housing would be about to help also....do you recommend a porjectors retrofit or something like that...thanks guys for the imput again.
Old 03-23-04, 06:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Alexusoftime
yeah the bulb is blue guys.....so can i just buy a phillips bulb or something that is similiar to get the better output of it.......is the bulb d2s...whats the different from d2r...i'm all lost in these lighting issues...so neo the housing would be about to help also....do you recommend a porjectors retrofit or something like that...thanks guys for the imput again.
let me address your questions:
1) you might be able to get philips d2s rebase 9006 bulbs but i am not sure about the connectors whether they are compatible or not
2) d2s and d2r refers to real hid setup in hid housing. d2r is for reflective housing, d2s for projective. most hid kits they use d2s bulbs and rebase the bulb to 9006, etc... you can't just put d2r bulb, it won't even go in right
3) the housing will help but with the new housing only d2r bulbs will go in, the hid kits you have now is type 9006, it won't go in
4) projector retrofit, it's a personal choice, you can do that but you will pay big time money
Old 03-23-04, 08:17 PM
Alexusoftime
Lead Lap

rominl thanks for the input and yeah i know projectors is expensive, but is that my only option that is out for me right now....or can i get a new HID kit instead and sell this one....whats the better choice to go with...they will do a retro project. for my headlight for 600dollars....sounds like a good deal to me...but doesn't come with HID...i'll just use mines....or play 800dollars for it with the HID..and sell mines.
Old 03-24-04, 09:01 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Like Rominl stated, the housing and bulb type will not allow for a perfect cutoff. This doesn't mean they are not bright enough or do not have a cutoff point. If it is too high you may need to adjust your headlights accordingly, and If you want a perfect cutoff, you will either need to do one of two things: get OEM HIDs ($2K cost) or get a retrofit projector kit (starts @ around $800). As you can see by my picture below, the output is very bright with this kit:

In general, 4100K output is brighter then 6000K. Simply it's white light versus blueish light. The philips kit is not 6000K, but rather 5800K as they are just marketed that way. Actually the philips kit is the best kit out today, hence the higheer cost. For the price of the kit that I sold you, you could probably only buy some quality HID bulbs...but that still doesn't resolve you headlight housing and ballast issues...
Old 03-24-04, 12:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well if you are really inclined to get another hid kits, i would get the philips 6000k hid kit. it will give you the same color output imho. personally it's very hard to tell the difference between 5300k and 6000k already, but 4100k and 6000k they are quite different.

theoretically the 4100k has the most light output than 6000k, but practically i have had 6000k in 3 of my cars and i can't tell any difference in the light output on the road between the two, they are the same to me. now i have seen 8000k in action, that's purely stupid

just a side comment though, to me there are two different definitions of bright. 1 is how bright it lights up the road, and the other is how bright the headlights are when you look at them. i had 6000k hid kits before, and now 6000k oem hid headlights (swapped them out). i can tell you, in terms of the brightness of the road, the oem 6000k headlights they are brighter, they shine the road more. however if you look at the car from outside, i can guarantee you that everyone would say the 6000k hid kits is brighter.

reason why? it's all about glare. the oem headlights all the light are pattern towards the road. however, with the hid kits, you get lights everywhere. so from the front of the car when you look at the headlights, you get more glare on the hid kits compared to oem headlights, that's why you "think" the hid kits are brighter.

now which one i care more? of course i care more about the light on the road
Old 03-24-04, 09:20 PM
Alexusoftime
Lead Lap

I agree rominl....the light on the road is better....kva do you have a pic of it on a wall or something where i can see the beam pattern?

Quick Reply: Jus Installed my HID